What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When will Megatron start scoring like Megatron? (2 Viewers)

Maui Monster

Footballguy
Calvin Johnson has to date 35 catches for 558 yds and 1 TD. In my league that puts him at the #9 WR in scoring. I am not saying he is doing bad, but many of us expected CJ to carry our teams as he did last year.

I am thinking of offering him around for 2-3 startable players. What is the Shark Pool opinion? Will Megatron appear in 2nd half fantasy season? Or should we look to trade the massive reputation for players producing now?

Approximately when people stop complaining about it. So never, hes doomed to go for 75/1200/3. Just awful

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a product of not having Jahvid Best, Best was a home run threat coming out of the backfield. Now that he is gone the safeties can stay back and not let Calvin beat them for the long touchdown, or even worse they can triple team him without the threat of Best coming out of the backfield and catching a pass taking it the distance.

Best played the first 6 games last year and Johnson had 9 touchdowns in those games and only went 1 game without a touchdown, in the 16 games since then Johnson has 10 touchdowns and went without a score in 8 of those games. Still good but not what this freak of nature should be doing. The loss of Best seems to have had a negative impact on the passing game as a whole.

I think it is more of a Stafford issue. Stafford has not been that sharp at all.
Agreed. It seemed like St. Louis got into his head with the three first half interceptions in game one and he has been a bit hesitant to sling it around all year. I think the end of last game was a good sign though; he looked a lot more like last year. Though he was as bad as I've seen before that. Seems mostly mental with him.Calvin is as beastly as ever though it seems like everyone is going to double him around the goal line this year. Like Nelson last week he will explode one of these weeks. Seems like #9 is about his floor.

If stafford gets injured and hill comes back in Calvin will end the year as the #1 wr in all the land again. Stafford doesn't lock on to him like hill does.

I think it is more of a Stafford issue. Stafford has not been that sharp at all.
Agreed. It seemed like St. Louis got into his head with the three first half interceptions in game one and he has been a bit hesitant to sling it around all year. I think the end of last game was a good sign though; he looked a lot more like last year. Though he was as bad as I've seen before that. Seems mostly mental with him.Calvin is as beastly as ever though it seems like everyone is going to double him around the goal line this year. Like Nelson last week he will explode one of these weeks. Seems like #9 is about his floor.
He has had bad halves before and came back strong, Carolina, Dallas and Minnesota come to mind.

If I owned Megatron in a redraft league I cared about, I would deal him for a package of guys ASAP.

Would have done it already, in fact.

Thankfully I don't own him in any redraft leagues I care about. Just in one keeper league and I'm not parting with him there.

you guys are insane, he just came off 135 yds mostly doing it in one half of production. This guy does not need a whole game to even produce. Plus a TD got called back on a bogus Off PI call.

If I owned Megatron in a redraft league I cared about, I would deal him for a package of guys ASAP.Would have done it already, in fact.Thankfully I don't own him in any redraft leagues I care about. Just in one keeper league and I'm not parting with him there.
OK, I'll bite since you had no reasoning behind your statement....Why?

No one is saying Megatron has not played stellar. And yes it does look like Stafford is off somewhat. The Fantasy Football issue here is only 1 TD. You win in Fantasy world with players that produce right now. I think he still has a high enough reputation that a package may work.

I shopped him in my league. There are a couple guys with more WR's than they can start. I have already been offered Dez and V Jax. Countering with Megatron and Hartline for Nicks, V Jax and Bowe.

Also asking another owner for Demariyus Thomas and Reggie Wayne. He currently has Colston and Andre Johnson as well.

There are a number of reasons, none of which are CJ's fault:

1) Stafford isn't sharp

2) O-line is having a little bit of an issue

3) They are playing from behind a lot, so the running game isn't getting much of a chance to shine and give balance to the offense. You'd think that means they have to chuck it up more,

and that is true, but when defenses scheme to completely shut down CJ, it makes it very difficult.

4) As mentioned a second ago, defenses are scheming to completely shut CJ down. Double, maybe even tripe team at times.

Seems like last year they force fed CJ more. And it worked. If there is one guy you can pass to double or triple teamed it is Calvin. Why have they gone away from that?

There are a number of reasons, none of which are CJ's fault:1) Stafford isn't sharp2) O-line is having a little bit of an issue3) They are playing from behind a lot, so the running game isn't getting much of a chance to shine and give balance to the offense. You'd think that means they have to chuck it up more,and that is true, but when defenses scheme to completely shut down CJ, it makes it very difficult.4) As mentioned a second ago, defenses are scheming to completely shut CJ down. Double, maybe even tripe team at times.
The last three are not new issues. Though Best swinging out did make them a better offense a year ago, he only suited up six times. The RBs were more effective as a group last year, but seldom did they rush well or control the LOS.Stafford has such a big cannon I think he got lazy with his footwork, and it seems to be catching up with him. He had a ton of wrong footed TD throws in 2011 but who's complaining when you put up 5K and 39. This year those poor mechanics have led to a lot of head scratcher pass attempts.All that said, I believe both are too good for the six game trend to continue.

Next 6 games against. Chicago, Seattle, Jax, Min, GB, Houston. 4 out of those 6 are very tough defenses. GB can be tough at times. So next 6 weeks he will turn it around when Stafford may be running for his life?

Take it from a homer who watches every play. This is a perfect storm of failures for CJ right now.

Stafford is not very accurate, hesitant to throw into double teams and basically settling on the easier underneath throws to move the chains.

The coaching staff seems content to take what the defenses are giving them early in games(underneath safe throws) but they are letting them dictate the game plan and flow. When the late 3rd and 4th quarters come around, they finally start to force feed Calvin the ball and he racks up almost garbage time type of #s in the process.

Defenses are absolutely double teaming him in almost a punt team gunner type of manner in the red zone begging the Lions to go in any other direction and the Lions comply.

The biggest difference from last year is the failures of Titus Young to stretch the field and take attention away from CJ.

It's maddening to watch as an owner and a fan right now.

Next 6 games against. Chicago, Seattle, Jax, Min, GB, Houston. 4 out of those 6 are very tough defenses. GB can be tough at times. So next 6 weeks he will turn it around when Stafford may be running for his life?
I only see 1 cush defense he's faced so far this year. He's been putting up his numbers against some pretty good D's so far

I think it is a product of not having Jahvid Best, Best was a home run threat coming out of the backfield. Now that he is gone the safeties can stay back and not let Calvin beat them for the long touchdown, or even worse they can triple team him without the threat of Best coming out of the backfield and catching a pass taking it the distance. Best played the first 6 games last year and Johnson had 9 touchdowns in those games and only went 1 game without a touchdown, in the 16 games since then Johnson has 10 touchdowns and went without a score in 8 of those games. Still good but not what this freak of nature should be doing. The loss of Best seems to have had a negative impact on the passing game as a whole.
:lmao: :lmao:Also, I got a haircut after week 6 last season. CLEARLY my haircut caused Calvin's production to drop dramatically.

Seems like last year they force fed CJ more. And it worked. If there is one guy you can pass to double or triple teamed it is Calvin. Why have they gone away from that?
Your kidding right?hes averaging over 10 targets a game....Hes actually on pace for more targets than he had last year. please stop the insanity with this thread... This is an absolutely pointless conversation.

He won't have more than 50 yards this week. The Bears will shut him down.
The bears secondary is not significantly better than the Vikings or eagles... The only thing that will shut him down is Stafford.
A man named Peanut Tillman won't let him out of his sights all night long. Gonna be a loooong day for Calvin. He is about to be dominated.
Oh okay.... I guess he's going to lock him down one on one... Good luck with that.

The bears secondary is not significantly better than the Vikings or eagles... The only thing that will shut him down is Stafford.
A man named Peanut Tillman won't let him out of his sights all night long. Gonna be a loooong day for Calvin. He is about to be dominated.
Oh okay.... I guess he's going to lock him down one on one... Good luck with that.
i think that Tillman had success against him last year - but they have been putting CJ in the slot alot more, so he will see multiple guys.

Why are do people insist there is nothing to be concerned with? The guy was drafted as the #1 WR BY FAR this year. And he's scored one TD through almost half of the fantasy football regular season.

It's like if Arian Foster and Ray Rice were down around the likes of CJ Spiller and Steven Ridley in the rankings. It wouldn't be horrible, but it is not what you want to see from the guy you have ranked far and a away the number one guy.

It doesn't matter if it's Stafford's fault, the o-line's fault, or if it's the way D's are playing him. The point is that he is not getting it done from a fantasy perspective this year, and who's fault it is doesn't matter.

Why are do people insist there is nothing to be concerned with? The guy was drafted as the #1 WR BY FAR this year. And he's scored one TD through almost half of the fantasy football regular season.It's like if Arian Foster and Ray Rice were down around the likes of CJ Spiller and Steven Ridley in the rankings. It wouldn't be horrible, but it is not what you want to see from the guy you have ranked far and a away the number one guy.It doesn't matter if it's Stafford's fault, the o-line's fault, or if it's the way D's are playing him. The point is that he is not getting it done from a fantasy perspective this year, and who's fault it is doesn't matter.
Fair enough. Counter point is that tds are by far the most volatile and unpredictable statistic and with the yardage and targets don mega is getting this year, it us reasonable to expect tds will come eventually. Expecting him to come close to the record like last year is setting yourself up for disappointment

i think that Tillman had success against him last year - but they have been putting CJ in the slot alot more, so he will see multiple guys.
I guess 7 for 81 is success against megatron...

The TDs will not come. He is seeing double teams inside the 10 with safety help. Defenses are basically saying, "We dont care if you score, but 81 is not scoring."

I guess 7 for 81 is success against megatron...
I doubt if people who drafted CJ would be happy with 7/81/0, but I see your point.

The TDs will not come. He is seeing double teams inside the 10 with safety help. Defenses are basically saying, "We dont care if you score, but 81 is not scoring."
And they weren't doing that last year? Okay
He is being triple teamed on 79% of his snaps in the redzone, 96% of snaps inside the 5. It's unprecedented respect for a wide receiver. The league has never seen anything like this before. They are taking away Staffords security blanket more this year than last.

He is being triple teamed on 79% of his snaps in the redzone, 96% of snaps inside the 5. It's unprecedented respect for a wide receiver. The league has never seen anything like this before. They are taking away Staffords security blanket more this year than last.
link?

All well and good... But my money is on don mega. We'll see. I'm not going to bet against a guy that can catch an redzone fade against tight triple coverage.

Why are do people insist there is nothing to be concerned with? The guy was drafted as the #1 WR BY FAR this year. And he's scored one TD through almost half of the fantasy football regular season.It's like if Arian Foster and Ray Rice were down around the likes of CJ Spiller and Steven Ridley in the rankings. It wouldn't be horrible, but it is not what you want to see from the guy you have ranked far and a away the number one guy.It doesn't matter if it's Stafford's fault, the o-line's fault, or if it's the way D's are playing him. The point is that he is not getting it done from a fantasy perspective this year, and who's fault it is doesn't matter.
Fair enough. Counter point is that tds are by far the most volatile and unpredictable statistic and with the yardage and targets don mega is getting this year, it us reasonable to expect tds will come eventually. Expecting him to come close to the record like last year is setting yourself up for disappointment
I keep reading the 'TDs are volatile and unpredictable' and in the micro analysis I agree. But if a team is scoring less and have other reasons (play calling, losing other top end players etc) a reduction in TDs in the beginning of the year can certainly be projected forward. If suddenly Foster was losing carries inside the 10 to Tate or Brady wasn't targeting his TEs in the red zone due to a change in play calling by BB then it's totally appropriate to project these things to continue.

I keep reading the 'TDs are volatile and unpredictable' and in the micro analysis I agree. But if a team is scoring less and have other reasons (play calling, losing other top end players etc) a reduction in TDs in the beginning of the year can certainly be projected forward. If suddenly Foster was losing carries inside the 10 to Tate or Brady wasn't targeting his TEs in the red zone due to a change in play calling by BB then it's totally appropriate to project these things to continue.
I agree with this. I guess my point its that when a dude is good for 100+ a game tds are a bonus

What's wrong with you people? He's on pace for more catches and more yards than he had last season.

The tds aren't there but tds are fluky. I'm sure he will pick up 9 or 10 total.

'althe said:
'mr roboto said:
'althe said:
'kutta said:
I agree with this. I guess my point its that when a dude is good for 100+ a game tds are a bonus
I would agree if you were talking about a guy you drafted in the sixth round. When you draft Arian Foster number 1, your expectation is that he's going to score TD's. Those who drafted Calvin have those same expectations.

'Dought Man said:
:goodposting:
I disagree. Calvin lit them up last year in Detroit for 130 and a score, and had eighty yards in Chicago. I think this is the week where Chicago's D has been riding unnaturally high and Detroit figures it out offensively, but that's a pure gut feeling. Chicago's D is #1 DVOA per Football Outsiders, so I'm aware of the possibly unfounded reasoning. I'm just going with 7/95/1, even on the road.*By the way, are touchdowns really that volatile and/or a function of luck when you're getting punt coverage inside the ten? Isn't that more game plan than a function of normal game play and luck, which is what I'm assuming the premise of this is?

Lions | Calvin Johnson not worried over lack of scores Sat, 20 Oct 2012 09:25:25 -0700

Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson is not concerned over his lack of touchdown production so far this season. Johnson had nine touchdowns through the first five games of 2011. He has one in 2012. "Nah, not really," Johnson said. "If I was dropping a bunch of touchdown passes, yeah. The coverage can dictate a lot of things. It'll come. As long as we're able to help out moving the ball down the field, that's all that matters right now." QB Matthew Stafford said he and Johnson are getting closer to connecting and he will continue to look for him in the passing game.

Tweet Tweet

Great stuff to hear from him, every time I have ever seen him talk he has always come off as smart and disciplined. I remember they interviewed him about how like a 10th of their team was suspended at one point and he was very straight forward about it.

Never, last year was a fluke. He was never going to match his TD's numbers.

It has never happened in the NFL. EVER.

'Maui Monster said:
Turn it around? He's averaging close to 112 yards a game. He's just missed on a few TDs. The big games are coming.

Users who are viewing this thread