What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When will Megatron start scoring like Megatron? (1 Viewer)

Remember the slow starts of harvin and roddy last year and how they crushed the second half and won people titles? It's coming. Last night the lions were bad overall. Td catch broken up, bad throws, turnovers. Calvin will get his.
might have to wait another week. Things certainly don't get easier vs the very physical and talented SEA defense this week. At least it's in DET.

Here is what I don't understand about last nights game. Calvin Johson is 6'5" and leaps as good as anyone. When Stafford targeted him in the ends on they had Calvin running inside slants with 1-1 coverage to the outside.

Why in the world would you not try a jump ball fade to Calvin? Yes Tillman is physical, but odds are Megatron comes down with a jump ball.

Was this terrible play calling? So coaches fault or Stafford?

I did not see 1 pass last night that was a jump ball for Calvin. And they were in the Red zone a lot.

He won't have more than 50 yards this week. The Bears will shut him down.
Boom. Tillman beat him physically as well as mentally tonight. Thing of beauty really. 3 yards per target on a lot of single coverage as well.
Small peepee? :sadbanana:
Um, why are you interested? Check out CraigsList..they have sections for these sort of fetishes. HTH
No thanks. I was just pointing out the insecurities of posters who feel the need to bump their own posts so they can tell everyone "I told you so".

Here is what I don't understand about last nights game. Calvin Johson is 6'5" and leaps as good as anyone. When Stafford targeted him in the ends on they had Calvin running inside slants with 1-1 coverage to the outside. Why in the world would you not try a jump ball fade to Calvin? Yes Tillman is physical, but odds are Megatron comes down with a jump ball. Was this terrible play calling? So coaches fault or Stafford?I did not see 1 pass last night that was a jump ball for Calvin. And they were in the Red zone a lot.
I recall DET trying at least one "jump ball" into the endzone for Calvin (didn't watch most of the game as I was busy watching our Giants crush in the NLCS :thumbup: ). The ball was thrown too much on a line - altho Calvin got both hands on it for a second. Tillman ended up breaking up the play.

Boom. Tillman beat him physically as well as mentally tonight. Thing of beauty really. 3 yards per target on a lot of single coverage as well.
Um, why are you interested? Check out CraigsList..they have sections for these sort of fetishes. HTH
:lmao: :lmao: I'm pretty sure the small peepee fetish is illegal.that was a legit bump, btw -- good call.

Here is what I don't understand about last nights game. Calvin Johson is 6'5" and leaps as good as anyone. When Stafford targeted him in the ends on they had Calvin running inside slants with 1-1 coverage to the outside. Why in the world would you not try a jump ball fade to Calvin? Yes Tillman is physical, but odds are Megatron comes down with a jump ball. Was this terrible play calling? So coaches fault or Stafford?I did not see 1 pass last night that was a jump ball for Calvin. And they were in the Red zone a lot.
I recall DET trying at least one "jump ball" into the endzone for Calvin (didn't watch most of the game as I was busy watching our Giants crush in the NLCS :thumbup: ). The ball was thrown too much on a line - altho Calvin got both hands on it for a second. Tillman ended up breaking up the play.
That play you are talking about was not a jump ball. It was thrown straight. Albeit over Tillman's head but not a loft for him to jump for.

No thanks. I was just pointing out the insecurities of posters who feel the need to bump their own posts so they can tell everyone "I told you so".
Lighten up...I didn't dent your car. This is supposed to be fun, right? Save the srsbzns demeanor for work.

using FBG rest of way rankings that came out today, they have Calvin WR3 behind AJ Green and Cruz. Being 3rd most productive from here on out would elevate him to finish around WR7-WR9 in my scoring. Certainly WELL below what those who spent a 1st round pick on him were seeing as the floor.

What type of deals are you offering for him? 2 top 15ish wr's? A Mcgahee and Dez type deal? Really want to target him but I don't know how much or how little to give up.

What type of deals are you offering for him? 2 top 15ish wr's? A Mcgahee and Dez type deal? Really want to target him but I don't know how much or how little to give up.
in one of my leagues, he was traded today for Andre Johnson and Shonn Greene.
What? And even with AJ on his bye. I don't like that at all.
I didn't like it either but he was desperate for RB's and has a ton of depth at WR so I can soooooorrta see where he was coming from. Still don't like it.

The completion percentage to a WR the caliber of CJ is horrific. The guy is a physical freak. How about some back shoulder passes? Unstoppable. Same with come back routes. How about more jump balls that have heighth on them, vs. a 95 MPH bullet on a slant that's head high where everyone can get to it. Just bad play calling and bad execution by Stafford. Take what the defense gives you. They are trying to force everything.

That being said - my team is balanced enough that I will ride out Calvin the rest of the year. Won't consider trading him. Hopefully, they'll get their act together. If not, it will be a reminder to me at draft time next year that there is no sure thing. I thought Brady having a monster year and Calvin continuing to dominate were about the safest picks in the first round. So far - not the case. Tough game.

Megatron is still on pace for 100 catches and nearly 1,600 yards, but the TDs won't start coming in bunches till Stafford pulls his head out of his ###. That throw the other day that Tillman broke out...like has been said, throw that as a jump ball, let Megatron go up and get it and it's a touchdown. It's that simple. But throwing it on a line like that makes it easy for a CB as good as Tillman to break it up.

In our league, he is the 5th highest scoring WR/RB in points per game, behind AJ Green, Reggie Wayne, Ray Rice and Wes Welker. I drafted him at #4, so he's performing about to draft position.
After you scoop Victor Cruz off of waivers, please share your scoring system.

Someone earlier said this was a Stafford issue. I'm not totally in disagreement.

if you cant stop a player like Mega who can outrun and outjump you for the ball, the smart move is to go after the QB so he cant throw him good balls.

the games I have watched, I've seen teams making a larger effort to give him less time to find his primary receiver, and those rushed throws have not been as accurate and I think that is definitely part of the problem.

Teams have adjusted. The Lions will also adjust to improve their game, but these things dont happen overnight.

give em some time. they'll sort it out.

Teams are game planning to stop Calvin Johnson. And until another real offensive threat appears they will have 2 guys dedicated to shutting him down. For instance, in the red zone teams are lining up 2 guys opposite him at scrimmage. What are the lions going to do about it? Every othe WR/TE has stone hands or route issues. The RBs are all either coming off of injury or sub par. Plus stafford isn't throwing as accurate as last year. And it only gets worst with the Burleson broken leg. I don't see Johnson's numbers getting better this year.

I was a Calvin supporter until this week, a local radio guy is also a sideline reporter for the Lions and he said had he caught that first drop on the Lions first series that it would have been a touchdown and no one was even near him. This team just has some bad mojo.

I mean think about it-- who else are DC's scheming for? Are they staying up all night trying to find ways to keep Titus Young, Ryan Brolyes, Mikel Leshoure and Brandon Pettigrew from beating them? Not likely.

Combine that with Stafford not playing as well as he did last year, and you've got some issues for Calvin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how much talk I'm hearing from the CB out of Seattle. Calling himself Optimus Prime.

I think Megatron scores like Megatron this weekend.

Love how much talk I'm hearing from the CB out of Seattle. Calling himself Optimus Prime. I think Megatron scores like Megatron this weekend.
I agree. Calvin got a good "practice" game in with Peanut Tillman guarding him last week and locking him down. Sherman is a 5th rounder in his 2nd year and been over-achieving this season. I think his cockiness catches up with him this week and Calvin lights him up for 2 TDs and 100+ yards. Calvin is too good and has been defended by better CBs. I think "Optimus Prime" (####) gets reduced to a matchbox car this weekend.

I mean think about it-- who else are DC's scheming for? Are they staying up all night trying to find ways to keep Titus Young, Ryan Brolyes, Mikel Leshoure and Brandon Pettigrew from beating them? Not likely. Combine that with Stafford not playing as well as he did last year, and you've got some issues for Calvin.
I keep seeing this, but the Lions' personnel is basically the same as it was last season other than Jahvid Best who only played in the first 6 games.

I mean think about it-- who else are DC's scheming for? Are they staying up all night trying to find ways to keep Titus Young, Ryan Brolyes, Mikel Leshoure and Brandon Pettigrew from beating them? Not likely. Combine that with Stafford not playing as well as he did last year, and you've got some issues for Calvin.
Did you see the Bears defense formations? The had a CB right on top of CJ with a safety 15 yards off the line and backing up at the snap, then a LB had inside coverage. So there was double coverage on every play with deep help, and triple on some plays. The problem is that the Lions are not making the teams pay by using the other players to beat them. If you watched the replay of Calvins drop on the first drive he was already in the seam for a 25-30 yard gain and a chance to take it 60-70 yards and a possible score. The ball was thrown perfectly and he was in full stride... I have never seen him drop one that wide open before.

If you watched the replay of Calvins drop on the first drive he was already in the seam for a 25-30 yard gain and a chance to take it 60-70 yards and a possible score. The ball was thrown perfectly and he was in full stride... I have never seen him drop one that wide open before.
I think he pulled a T Owens.....Alligator Arms.....scared that the safety was about to try and blow him up.

Here's all i want to know.

In games the lions rushed 20 times, what are calvins targets and catches?

In games the lions rushed less than 20 times, what are calvins targets and catches?

IN games the lions rushed for 80 yards or more, what are calvins targets and catches?

In games the lions rushed for less than 80 yards, what are calvins targets and catches?

Because, I firmly believe that a good run defense, or a lack of running game making any defense a good defense is the key factor here in Calvin's case. When you can stop a run game and drop a safety TWO STEPS and FREE a LB to jump inside routes you will see a downgrade in targets and catches. slants, ins, etc are all taken away by the newly created double team short (LB) and deep (S). Pretty sure this is what we say Monday night.

There, I went the whole way without saying its staffords fault.

he is having a good year the problem is that his qb is not and the other wrs around him do not seem to be stepping up like they did last year so he is facing a ton of doules and brackets over the top which means he will keep getting yards underneath but the long tds are going to be harder to come by in my opinion take that to the bank

he did his best with S Hill in there this season, Im beginning to wonder if its Stafford.... I had Stafford last year and he was awesome.. this year... I dont know whats happened...

I have him in a dynasty league. Took him 1.01 this year in a start up.

I have had several offers for him:

Jamal Charles, Kendal Wright

Roddy White, DHB, 1st next year (probably 1.10-1.12 range)

Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace

Denied all three. Not willing to give up the core of my team for any of these offers.

If you watched the replay of Calvins drop on the first drive he was already in the seam for a 25-30 yard gain and a chance to take it 60-70 yards and a possible score. The ball was thrown perfectly and he was in full stride... I have never seen him drop one that wide open before.
Then you must have only watched him last year. Calvin had a lot of drops prior to last year, and quite a few struggles with his hands in general. His talent has always been off the charts, but last year was the first year he really put it all together with his football skills on top of that. That seems to have regressed a bit this year, and he's not making some of the plays he made last year.Of course, an even bigger part of it is Stafford. I don't know why they were so fixating on throwing those high slants down by the goaline against Chicago. My guess it was one of those things where a coach or coordinator out-thinks himself. They probably saw something on Tillman that made them think throwing it high on a line rather than a more traditional jump ball was the way to beat him. Problem was, like a million coaches before, they didn't back off it when what they "saw" was clearly wrong and not working. Stafford just throws the ball too hot for anyone to catch one of those high slant throws from that close.

he did his best with S Hill in there this season, Im beginning to wonder if its Stafford.... I had Stafford last year and he was awesome.. this year... I dont know whats happened...
Having a year of tape, everyone was easily able to sit back and realize, "take away the deep routes and Stafford doesn't have the patience to work the ball downfield slowly. He has trouble fitting the ball in between LB's and deep safeties in cover 2"So, everyone just plays soft fronts and drops deep safeties on the Lions now.. Stafford can't adjust.

I'm benching Megatron this week in my 10-man league in favor of Colston, Cobb and Decker. So for all you Megatron owners, this is the week he blows up.

I'm benching Megatron this week in my 10-man league in favor of Colston, Cobb and Decker. So for all you Megatron owners, this is the week he blows up.
While you're at, please bench McCoy and DMC also. We need some turn around from these guys as well.

I think Rotoworld needs new editors....

Calvin Johnson (knee) was back at practice Thursday, as expected.

Nursing a sore knee, Johnson wouldn't have participated on Wednesday if the Lions practiced. He's is in danger of missing Sunday's game. Megatron should have added motivation for a bounce-back effort after Seahawks CB Richard Sherman changed his Twitter handle to "Optimus Prime" in anticipation of the matchup.
:loco:

I traded McFadden for him straight up.. non ppr.. 6pts for all TD's.. my other RB's are SJax, D.Murray, CJ Spiller, Alex Green and Goodson..

I'm banking on him blowing up the 2nd half of the season... it's not like DMac was tearing it up..

I think Rotoworld needs new editors....

Calvin Johnson (knee) was back at practice Thursday, as expected.

Nursing a sore knee, Johnson wouldn't have participated on Wednesday if the Lions practiced. He's is in danger of missing Sunday's game. Megatron should have added motivation for a bounce-back effort after Seahawks CB Richard Sherman changed his Twitter handle to "Optimus Prime" in anticipation of the matchup.
:loco:
Since a double negative makes a statement positive, does a double positive like this make it a negative?

Calvin Johnson (knee) was downgraded to a missed practice on Friday.Battling knee soreness, Johnson practiced on a limited basis yesterday. We've yet to see concern from the Lions coaches or beat writers that Megatron is in danger of missing this week's game. In fact, the Detroit Free Press writes that Johnson "will be fine for Sunday." Check back Friday afternoon to make sure he remains on track to play.
:o

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread