What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team would score more? (1 Viewer)

Which team scores more?

• Baseball team in baseball game

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Hockey team in hockey game

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters
Yeah - you guys are right - MLB players will hit every single ball square, and spray line drives around the park all day long, and never get tired.  Just like batting practice, or HR derbys - Its amazing that the HR derby from 2004 is still going on...
You’re right. They’d get tired because the game would take 3 days. 

The hockey game would be a blood bath. No question. But it would end eventually. 

If they can't hit the strike zone 50% of the time, the batters only have to stand there and take pitches.
This is going in a circle.  My original question was why can't they throw strikes?

Edit:  There is a difference between throwing strikes and striking batters out.  There are MLB pitchers that pitch to contact, not to strikeout batters.

Last edited:
Yeah - you guys are right - MLB players will hit every single ball square, and spray line drives around the park all day long, and never get tired.  Just like batting practice, or HR derbys - Its amazing that the HR derby from 2004 is still going on...
Won’t have to - walkiing will be good enough.

And the baseball team has zero shot to do anything.  This whole argument comes down to a clock in hockey - they are limited by time.

There are big differences between your approach at a HR derby where you are trying to loft the ball all the time rather than just hit line drives.  It's why many players have a slow start after the all-star break after they participated in the HR derby.  They changed their swing to improve their launch angle and it screws them up for a bit of time.  MLB players trying to hit line drives (not HR's) into gaps against BP practice fast balls will be very difficult to get out. 

It's also not the same as a typical BP where batters are working on specific things (trying to go opposite field or score the runner - IE hit a fly ball).  There is no need for that in this setting.  If the MLB players were approaching this to win they would focus just on hitting the ball hard gap to gap.  Off batting practice speed pitching they will not hit balls softly. 

The other thing nobody seems to believe is that MLB players can skate.  I am not saying they can skate well but I am sure many of them have skated before and can at least move around.  It's not to NHL standards and they will be skated circles around by the NHL'ers but they should be able to skate sufficiently to at least be in the way some of the time to increase the average goal time to around 20 seconds.  Also, just like the ice time someone mentioned before the MLB wouldn't have to shift change because they wouldn't be moving much as they would likely set up in a defensive formation with their best skaters after each goal so they will be in the way some times even if they can't skate well. 

Time limit is the ultimate factor that will lead to the MLB'ers having a better opportunity to score as much as needed. 

Lol thanks for the bump love this thread.  I do have to ask for those saying the NHL guys would score a goal every 30 seconds if you've actually watched a NHL game. They get up and down the ice so quick and with their passing ability it would literally taking them seconds from face off to getting a high quality shot on goal which for NHL players means picking whatever quadrant they want to hit not just flinging it on net. 

Baseball has position players pitch a few times a year.  They still manage to get out of innings.  Even in home run derbys with BP pitchers throwing intentionally over the heart of the plate, guys fly out all the time.

Hockey players tend to be amazing athletes who grew up playing multiple sports.  

I'm going hockey here.
Yep. This.  You gotta figure several of the baseball guys either have never even skated or are mediocre at best on skates.  I'd bet most NHL players could individually skate through an entire team of MLB guys on skates and at least get a good shot on goal.  

Users who are viewing this thread