What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are the Eagles starting receivers on day 1? (1 Viewer)

Texasmouth

Footballguy
Just wondering what will end up happening. McCants in the fold to start? Pinkston? Lewis? None of these guys seem to be legitimate #1's. Any ideas?

Don't let the fact that I am a Cowboys fan throw you off.....I am a McNabb owner in more than one league including my Dynasty.....

Just wondering what will end up happening. McCants in the fold to start? Pinkston? Lewis? None of these guys seem to be legitimate #1's. Any ideas?

Don't let the fact that I am a Cowboys fan throw you off.....I am a McNabb owner in more than one league including my Dynasty.....
Reggie Brown is their #1, right? (I hope so since I have him :bag: )

As of today, it's Todd and Reggie. As of starting day, it's probably not much better, with Gaf backing Brown and coming out of the slot as the #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the assumption here in Philly is that Brown is the #1, Pinki would be the #2 or deep threat and Gaffney would be the #3 slot reciever. Greg Lewis, McCants and McMullan would be #4,#5 and #6 in no particular order at this point.

Edit to add, I have not seen anything indicating how Pinkston has recovered from his injury. If he is not fully recovered or has lost a step, that could obviously change the situation. I would suspect Lewis would most likely step into that role if Pinkston can not go or is not full speed.

I always imagined that Reggie Brown would be the option the Eagles would like going into 2006.. He had a nice 2nd half of the season in 2005 although obviously McNabb wasn't the one throwing him the ball for most of those games

Personally I think Gaffney will end up beating out Pinkston [who may even be cut]...

Ultimately I expect the Eagles WR corps to look like this:

WR1 -- Reggie Brown

WR2 -- Jabar Gaffney

WR3 [slot] -- Greg Lewis

WR4 -- Todd Pinkston [if retained]

WR5 -- Darnerian McCants/Billy McMullen [most likely McCants b/c of ST skills]

TO go suspended after the 7th game.

These are Reggie Brown's numbers from the 8th game till the end of the season. (he was the starter in each of these games)

His totals for these 9 games was 34/463/4TD

@ Was

5/94/1

DAL

3/15/0

@NYG

3/88/1

GB

0/0/0

SEA

3/27/0

NYG

5/72/0

@STL

2/21/0

@ARI

6/69/0

WAS

7/77/2

Opponants' secondaries will be shaking in their boots cleats... with laughter. :(

I'm going to go with Eric Moulds and Reggie Brown.
Stranger things have happened, but I still don't get why people keep throwing Moulds name out there. The Eagles broke the mold by bringing in TO, sure. But remember, TO was a) one of the best receivers in the league [Moulds is not], and more importantly b) TO was a WCO-schooled receiver. Moulds isn't a WCO guy, I don't see how Reid would value his presence on the team.

These are Reggie Brown's numbers from the 8th game till the end of the season. (he was the starter in each of these games)

@ Was

5/94/1

DAL

3/15/0

@NYG

3/88/1

GB

0/0/0

SEA

3/27/0

NYG

5/72/0

@STL

2/21/0

@ARI

6/69/0

WAS

7/77/2
While I agree these numbers are not all that impressive, keep in mind he had Mike Mcmahon throwing to him.

@ Was

5/94/1

DAL

3/15/0

@NYG

3/88/1

GB

0/0/0

SEA

3/27/0

NYG

5/72/0

@STL

2/21/0

@ARI

6/69/0

WAS

7/77/2
Only the first 2 games had Donovan at the helm while he was getting his rookie-feet wet. He started getting more comfortable with McMahon as the season finished - which he should be able to do comfortably with a much better QB in McNabb.

I am one of the few it seems (Outside of Eagles homers) that thinks Philly is going to be back in the mix this year. McNabb is still one of the best in the game in my opinion.

I like the Gaffney signing. He could emerge as a legitimate option at receiver. I like Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis but they seem to be more like #2 and #3 receivers in my mind.

I really doubt the Eagles would have anything to do with a receiver who wants out of town because he wants more money.......

Stranger things have happened, but I still don't get why people keep throwing Moulds name out there. The Eagles broke the mold by bringing in TO, sure. But remember, TO was a) one of the best receivers in the league [Moulds is not], and more importantly b) TO was a WCO-schooled receiver. Moulds isn't a WCO guy, I don't see how Reid would value his presence on the team.
I guess I just have a really hard time envisioning the Eagles standing pat with what they've got given their propensity to pass the ball. I don't see where Gaffney is a significant contributor. I think Brown can develop into a solid WR but I don't think it'll happen just yet. I think a guy like Moulds would be a solid pickup for Philly, although they don't have a habit of bringing guys his age in.

Moulds is still a very good WR.The WRs the Eagles currently have are not very good at all. I think that's why his name is brought up. The Eagles are just not gonna win with this recieving corps IMO. Either they're extraordinarily confident in their WRs or they are incredibly stubborn, because it doesn't really seem like they have any interest in signing a solid WR. Time will tell.

WR1 - Reggie Brown

WR2 - Todd Stinkston

WR3 - Greg Lewis

Receiving Options:

#1 - Westbrook

#2 - LJ Smith

#3 - Reggie Brown
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. Reggie Brown may be the #1 WR, but Westbrook will be the 1a/#2 receiving threat.

I really doubt the Eagles would have anything to do with a receiver who wants out of town because he wants more money.......
Let's be clear. Eric Moulds has not asked for more money. The Bills have asked him to take less money, and he said no.

I guess I just have a really hard time envisioning the Eagles standing pat with what they've got given their propensity to pass the ball. I don't see where Gaffney is a significant contributor. I think Brown can develop into a solid WR but I don't think it'll happen just yet. I think a guy like Moulds would be a solid pickup for Philly, although they don't have a habit of bringing guys his age in.
Eagles Leading WR
2000 -- Eagles (11-5) -- Charles Johnson -- 56 recs/642 yards/7 TDs
2001 -- Eagles (11-5) -- James Thrash -- 63 recs/833 yards/8 TDs
2002 -- Eagles (12-4) -- Todd Pinkston -- 60 recs/798 yards/7 TDs
2003 -- Eagles (12-4) -- Todd Pinkston -- 36 recs/575 yards/2 TDs

The Bills played in somewhat of a WCO in 2001 and 2002. So I don't think it would be all that difficult for him to learn the Eagles' system.

Let's be clear. Eric Moulds has not asked for more money. The Bills have asked him to take less money, and he said no.
OK, I'll buy that.

Eagles Leading WR
you'd think they'd learn... :unsure:

Eagles Leading WR
And wasn't the outrage reaction in Philly concerning the inability to advance to the Super Bowl blamed on a lack of playmakers for McNabb to throw to?

Eagles Leading WR
As you pointed out, the Eagles were still very successful without a great #1 WR. Despite these stats I am still a bit concerned about the Eagles ability to pull this off in 2006 with our current WR corps. The Eagles got production in a number of places from 2000-2003. They had an above average TE, a good receiving RB, and a good Def. Those things are still the case in 2006 even though some of the names have changed. They thing that worries me is what we had in 2003 that we don't have in 2006. In 2003 we had a good committee of RBs that could carry the load. Westbrook is great, but needs a between the tackles back as a compliment. Another big change is that the NFC East is not nearly as bad as it was then. Finally, the biggest change is that McNabb is no longer a threat to run the ball. He used to carry this team, especially in big regular season (or non NFC title games). He doesn't look to run now, which I think makes the Eagles easier to defend.

Personally I think Gaffney will end up beating out Pinkston [who may even be cut]...

WR1 -- Reggie Brown

WR2 -- Jabar Gaffney

WR3 [slot] -- Greg Lewis

Just my opinion but...I think for some reason Reid is convinced that Pinkston is their deep threat.

:wall:

Also, McCants is there solely for ST so I think McMullen is gone. I also think Greg Lewis is in trouble.

WR1 Brown

WR2-3 Gaffney/Pinkston (TBD in camp)

WR4 Greg Lewis/WR not on the team (draft pick?)

WR5 McCants

:wall:

From the Eagles' website:

Todd Pinkston returns after missing all of last season because of an Achilles tendon injury. He is said to be recovering well, gaining his speed back and by the time the Eagles are in training camp the expectation is that Pinkston will be all the way back. He has deep speed and we saw how much that element was absent from the passing game last year.

Greg Lewis, who struggled as a starter, returns to a better spot for him as a reserve. He'll make plays. He'll run good routes. He'll play well on special teams.

Billy McMullen showed enough flashes last year to make you think he could blossom, and he also showed enough inconsistency to make you wonder if he ever would blossom. Still, he gained valuable experience and will be in the spring camp a much better player than he was a season ago.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/new...il.jsp?id=45843

At this very moment, I'd imagine Reid sees his depth chart like this:

WR#1: Reggie Brown

WR#2: Todd Pinkston

WR#3: Jabar Gaffney

WR#4: Greg Lewis

WR#5: Billy McMullen

WR#6: Darnerian McCants

One or two of either Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen or Darnerian McCants could be cut and replaced by one of the younger guys on the roster.

Justin Jenkins probably has the best chance of sneeking onto the depth chart somehwere over one of those three. They could also draft a WR which would knock somebody of the bottom of that list.

WR1 -- Reggie Brown

WR2 -- Jabar Gaffney

WR3 [slot] -- Greg Lewis

I think Jason has it exactly right, as of now. I do expect them to add at least 1 more WR though the draft and/or FA.Moulds would be perfect, IMO.

WR1 -- Reggie Brown

WR2 -- Jabar Gaffney

WR3 [slot] -- Greg Lewis

I think Jason has it exactly right, as of now. I do expect them to add at least 1 more WR though the draft and/or FA.Moulds would be perfect, IMO.
I would agree with these assessments exactly, down to Pinkston possibly being cut. Except for the Moulds sentiment. I would rather stick with Brown and Gaffney then sign Moulds. Yes, seriously. I wouldn't be surprised to see S. Holmes/C. Jackson in round 1.

I think Jabbar Gaffney is going to make more of a difference than he is getting credit for, he is a decent possession receiver type ...

He was the #4 WR taken in the 2002 draft and has played on a terrible team with a terrible offensive line and a very very average at best QB...

I am not at all saying he will be top 20 but I do think he could be a very surprising WR #3...

I'd like to know why some of you think Pinkston will be cut. Andy Reid has backed this guy his entire career and Pinkston, for the most part, is the only WR left McNabb has a lot of expierience with. He also has the most starting expierence on the team.

The only way they'd cut Pinkston is if they feel he can't come back from his injury last season.

Eagles Leading WR
And wasn't the outrage reaction in Philly concerning the inability to advance to the Super Bowl blamed on a lack of playmakers for McNabb to throw to?
There was an outrage by the FANS, not the team management. There was also an outrage when we a) drafted McNabb over Ricky Williams, b) let Jeremiah Trotter sign with the Skins, c) let Shawn Barber sign with the Chiefs, d) let Troy Vincent sign with the Bills, e) let Bobby Taylor sign with Seattle, f) let Hugh Douglas leave for Jacksonville, g) drafted three DBs on the first day [sheppard, Brown, Lewis] when we already had three Pro Bowl defensive backs, h) hired an unproven coach named Andy Reid who was never even a coordinator...etc...etc...The general consensus view of Philly fans has proven to be almost perfectly negatively correlated to what the team ultimately SHOULD do.

And, in 2004 when the Eagles advanced to the Super Bowl, they did so WITHOUT TO [who was injured for the entirety of the playoffs].

Personally, I would love a more proven WR1, but I'm also not going to panic if we go to war with this corps of receivers. Again, few teams if any would pass up five consecutive seasons of 11, 11, 12, 12 and 13 wins without any WR "playmakers" but that's the system Reid has in place.

There was an outrage by the FANS, not the team management. There was also an outrage when we a) drafted McNabb over Ricky Williams, b) let Jeremiah Trotter sign with the Skins, c) let Shawn Barber sign with the Chiefs, d) let Troy Vincent sign with the Bills, e) let Bobby Taylor sign with Seattle, f) let Hugh Douglas leave for Jacksonville, g) drafted three DBs on the first day [sheppard, Brown, Lewis] when we already had three Pro Bowl defensive backs, h) hired an unproven coach named Andy Reid who was never even a coordinator...etc...etc...

The general consensus view of Philly fans has proven to be almost perfectly negatively correlated to what the team ultimately SHOULD do.
"If you start listening to the fans, soon you'll be sitting with them." - Marv Levy

I'd like to know why some of you think Pinkston will be cut. Andy Reid has backed this guy his entire career and Pinkston, for the most part, is the only WR left McNabb has a lot of expierience with. He also has the most starting expierence on the team.

The only way they'd cut Pinkston is if they feel he can't come back from his injury last season.
The only thing Pink had going for him was speed (and the occaisional acrobatic grab) - so if his speed isn't regained, there's no question to me that he will be released. Pinkson is a "known quantity" to Reid now - his ceiling has been reached. If Brown continues to improve and Gaffney lives up to his hype, Greg Lewis can be the "deep threat"; there is no role for Pinkston. If they bring in another WR (FA/trade/high draft pick) the field will be that much more crowded and niche players cannot survive - Reid has declared an open competition at the position.

They have ZERO NFL talent at WR week 1 .
:rolleyes: Hyperbole much? No one, myself included, is going to contend the Eagles have a particularly good, much less great receiving corps but Reggie Brown has an excellent rookie season and has given every indication he can be a legit WR1 in this league. Even if you disagree, he certainly has a place as a WR2.

I'm agree with everyone as reggie brown as the number 1. Pinkston and Gaffney seem like they will challege for the #2 with the loser being 3.

Why would you think pinkston would even have a chance to be cut, and not one of the WRs under him. I think he clearly is at the least the 3rd best WR on the team.

As an eagles fan I am fine with this WR corps, espcially when you have a better then average TE and the best receiving RB in the league

I think Charles Rogers will be in there starting lineup. He will not be with Detroit this season. it is not known if they will trade him or release him yet but I think he will find his way to Philly.

The only thing Pink had going for him was speed (and the occaisional acrobatic grab) - so if his speed isn't regained, there's no question to me that he will be released. Pinkson is a "known quantity" to Reid now - his ceiling has been reached. If Brown continues to improve and Gaffney lives up to his hype, Greg Lewis can be the "deep threat"; there is no role for Pinkston. If they bring in another WR (FA/trade/high draft pick) the field will be that much more crowded and niche players cannot survive - Reid has declared an open competition at the position.
I think Reid would prefer to keep Pinkston over Greg Lewis. If Pinkston can go full speed, I think he goes into camp with his starting position back. Especially since a spot has opened up with Owens being released.I also think the fact that Pinkston is a known quantity is what helps him out here. Reid and McNabb are familiar with him. In Andy Reid's offense, that goes a pretty long way to keeping you with the team when your already under contract.

Greg Lewis had his chance to start last season and didn't do much. Pinkston hasn't done much either, but he is a small upgrade over Lewis.

By opening day, or a month or so into the season, I'm assuming Gaffney will be starting. If he isn't starting, I think he'll still be more involved in the offense than Pinkston is. I think Reid will line him up on the inside and the outside which will take away some of Pinkston's looks.

Eagles Leading WR
There was an outrage by the FANS, not the team management. There was also an outrage when we a) drafted McNabb over Ricky Williams, b) let Jeremiah Trotter sign with the Skins, c) let Shawn Barber sign with the Chiefs, d) let Troy Vincent sign with the Bills, e) let Bobby Taylor sign with Seattle, f) let Hugh Douglas leave for Jacksonville, g) drafted three DBs on the first day [sheppard, Brown, Lewis] when we already had three Pro Bowl defensive backs, h) hired an unproven coach named Andy Reid who was never even a coordinator...etc...etc...The general consensus view of Philly fans has proven to be almost perfectly negatively correlated to what the team ultimately SHOULD do.

And, in 2004 when the Eagles advanced to the Super Bowl, they did so WITHOUT TO [who was injured for the entirety of the playoffs].

Personally, I would love a more proven WR1, but I'm also not going to panic if we go to war with this corps of receivers. Again, few teams if any would pass up five consecutive seasons of 11, 11, 12, 12 and 13 wins without any WR "playmakers" but that's the system Reid has in place.
I'm not trying to suggest the team should be guided by what the fans think. However I do agree that the fans likely have a point that a playmaking wide receiver may have improved the team's fortunes during their successful run. And while it's true that T.O. wasn't on the field during the playoff drive that landed the Eagles in the Super Bowl he was a major contributor to their regular season success which netted them home field advantage. I'm just surprised that Reid's system, which obviously stresses the passing game, doesn't seem to feature a playmaking receiver. Doesn't this seem odd to anybody else?

By opening day, or a month or so into the season, I'm assuming Gaffney will be starting. If he isn't starting, I think he'll still be more involved in the offense than Pinkston is. I think Reid will line him up on the inside and the outside which will take away some of Pinkston's looks.
The only word to describe this scenario is depressing :yucky: PS: you know you are in serious trouble when you are praying the Todd Pinkston doesnt get hurt. Aside from having #3/4 recievers as starters, this roster has zero depth at WR. Particularly unacceptable for a team that runs so many multi WR sets.

Pinkston stinks, eagles need to get a veteran WR like Moulds or a WR with big play potential like Javon Walker. Reggie Brown appears to be a great Pick but with no other WRs on the team commanding respect our offense wont be explosive like it was with T.O. we'll see what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread