What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo? (6 Viewers)

Because he's statistically the best QB over the last 5-7 who hasn't won a title, has had a bad playoff record in general, and has lost a number of regular season games in epic fashion.
Exactly.

People can make excuses for him all they want but in the playoffs:

- Loses to the 9-7 Seahawks 20-21 even with Julius Jones rushing for 112 yards.

- Loses with a 13-3 team at home to the Giants 17-21, completing just 50% of his passes with Barber rushing for 137 yards.

- Blowout loss to the Vikings, this loss was not his fault but he played poorly.

In his lone playoff win against the Eagles, Felix Jones and Choice combined for 30/190 (6.3 YPC) rushing.

Seems silly on a fantasy board to give one crap about what he's done in the NFL playoffs. I don't really give two ####s what he does in week 18 as all my league at done week 16. Unless I'm in a dynasty then I don't want him hurt.

Seems silly on a fantasy board to give one crap about what he's done in the NFL playoffs. I don't really give two ####s what he does in week 18 as all my league at done week 16. Unless I'm in a dynasty then I don't want him hurt.
Seems silly to expect fantasy football participants not to be fans of the NFL who want to talk about the NFL in general, not just about the fantasy aspects.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett believes Tony Romo is still in the prime of his career, and that his arm is "better than ever."
"He hasn’t lost any mobility, ability to get away from people," Garrett said of his 34-year-old quarterback, who is recovering from his second back operation. "We feel like Tony Romo has a lot of years of great football left in him." Due $13.5 million between salary and bonuses this season, Romo is signed through 2019, but has only $7.5 million in fully guaranteed money remaining beyond 2014.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Rotoworld:

Tony Romo (back surgery) was throwing during Tuesday's minicamp workouts.
Roughly five months removed from the second procedure on his back in as many years, Romo is moving well. "We feel good about Tony's health, first-hand, medically," Jerry Jones said. "His back is everything that we want it to be at this time."

Source: dallascowboys.com

Shows up a Duke basketball game, cheering and wearing shirt as if he is an alum.

In front row of a Mavericks playoff game dipping snuff on national T.V.

Those are 2 douchebaggian moves just this spring that I think help add to his detractors...

Seems silly to expect fantasy football participants not to be fans of the NFL who want to talk about the NFL in general, not just about the fantasy aspects.
Weird. If only the NFL had a board.

Rotoworld:

Owner Jerry Jones insisted Johnny Manziel was "never really a consideration" for the Cowboys at the No. 16 overall pick.
It's believed Dallas debated taking Manziel because he was their highest-rated player, but they opted for G/T Zack Martin, and have lost no faith in Tony Romo. "There's no way any quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo," Jones said. "As you well know in here, Romo -- by contract as well as by commitment -- is going to be the quarterback for the Cowboys for several years to come."

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Owner Jerry Jones insisted Johnny Manziel was "never really a consideration" for the Cowboys at the No. 16 overall pick.
It's believed Dallas debated taking Manziel because he was their highest-rated player, but they opted for G/T Zack Martin, and have lost no faith in Tony Romo. "There's no way any quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo," Jones said. "As you well know in here, Romo -- by contract as well as by commitment -- is going to be the quarterback for the Cowboys for several years to come."

Source: ESPN.com
But mostly by contract.

Rotoworld:

In his nine previous games following a three-interception day, Tony Romo has a 94.2 passer rating.

Romo was out of sorts in the Week 1 loss to the 49ers, tossing three picks in the first 20 minutes. A bounce-back game against the Titans Sunday should surprise no one. He's been especially strong off three-interception performances lately, throwing seven touchdowns against four picks while averaging 279.7 passing yards in the last four instances. Note that Dallas is only a 3.5 point underdog in a game with a healthy over/under of 49.5.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Sep 11 - 9:29 AM

Because he sucks?

Seriously, for fantasy he's done fairly well I guess. But as a fan of the Cowboys, I can't stand the sight of his howdy doody, losses-are-just-part-of-the-game, non leadership, non accountability, fat check grabbing, injured prone, game choking face.

G-King said:
Because he sucks?

Seriously, for fantasy he's done fairly well I guess. But as a fan of the Cowboys, I can't stand the sight of his howdy doody, losses-are-just-part-of-the-game, non leadership, non accountability, fat check grabbing, injured prone, game choking face.
Fair enough but this thread is about Tony Romo not Jerry Jones.

G-King said:
Because he sucks?

Fair enough but this thread is about Tony Romo not Jerry Jones.
nice

Romo has been ridiculously good for the Cowboys yet people still almost singularly judge him for the bobbled field goal snap vs Seattle back in '07.

He regularly puts up 270+ yards, 2 TDs for every INT with 7.8 y/a and has gone 63-46 in his career. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would not have performed better in the dysfunctional house that Jerry built.

The guy deserves better than fair weather Cowboy fans.

Romo has been ridiculously good for the Cowboys yet people still almost singularly judge him for the bobbled field goal snap vs Seattle back in '07.

He regularly puts up 270+ yards, 2 TDs for every INT with 7.8 y/a and has gone 63-46 in his career. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would not have performed better in the dysfunctional house that Jerry built.

he deserves better that the crappy Dallas organizaion

he deserves better that the crappy Dallas organizaion
Cant argue with that.

Agreed. Most ignorant fan base I've ever been exposed to.

Agreed. Most ignorant fan base I've ever been exposed to.
meh, theres just more of em, so theres bound to be more ignorant ones. I live in 9ers country currently, and lemme tell ya, theres plenty of ignorance goin on in these parts......And I'm sure up round Seattle theres got to be LOTS of bandwagon ignorance goin on. Teams have success, they get popular, and theres the bandwagon.Heres an easy way to tell if you are dealing with an "ignorant" Cowboys fan.....If when you bring up the Cowboys, they immediately say something like "they cant win because of Romo" you know they're not paying attention, and they likely couldn't name another Cowboys player.

classic Romo game.....pick 6 and making plays....they just happened to win this one.......never boring.

A better question is to name starting quarterbacks that don't get a lot of criticism at some point in their career. I can't think of any offhand.

Favre: people complained that he kept unretiring that it became a joke

Elway: was booed and many called him a bust in his first 3 years

Montana: people said he only won because he was on those 49er teams

Steve Young: Sucked in Tampa

Marino: His best years were early in his career. For most of the 90s people criticized him for being just average.

Rivers: people said he was washed up for the past 2-3 years

Brady: hated because the patriots are cheaters

Brees: considered too short and not an NFL QB. Schottenheimer told him straight up he planned to draft another QB

Russell Wilson: completely overlooked and underrated because people preferred RG3.

Warner: stocking shelves in a supermarket

Rodgers: many people laughed at the Pack for drafting him. He looked awful in his first training camp, coming from a spread offense in college. His mechanics and instincts were terrible. Many said he'd never ever make it in the NFL.

I cannot think of a single QB that didn't get a lot of criticism.

Riversco said:
A better question here is why people think Romo is getting singled out for criticism?
Because he gets a ton more criticism then any of the QBs you mentioned. People think Romo sucks, as in, he is a bad QB. Things like that were barely mentioned about the QBs on your list. If anything Favre deserved a ton more of that type of criticism but he was given a lifetime pass because...well frankly I have no idea why the media was so kind to him.

Riversco said:
A better question here is why people think Romo is getting singled out for criticism?
Because he gets a ton more criticism then any of the QBs you mentioned. People think Romo sucks, as in, he is a bad QB. Things like that were barely mentioned about the QBs on your list. If anything Favre deserved a ton more of that type of criticism but he was given a lifetime pass because...well frankly I have no idea why the media was so kind to him.
For all the bad decisions Brett Farve made, his teams still went to playoffs 12 times and they had a 13-11 in his playoff games. He was in the superbowl twice (winning one) and the NFC championship game 6 times. Romo has been to the playoffs 3 times (1-3 record) and QB'ed 3 teams that lost in the last week of the season to knock them out of the playoffs. No SB's, No NFC Championships.

And it is more of a longevity stat than anything else, but he does hold the record for most passing yards in a career. I don't think you were comparing Romo to Farve, but I think Farve did enough good things that people will overlook some of the bad. Romo doesn't have the positive resume to overcome some of the shortcomings of his career.

Riversco said:
For all the bad decisions Brett Farve made, his teams still went to playoffs 12 times and they had a 13-11 in his playoff games. He was in the superbowl twice (winning one) and the NFC championship game 6 times. Romo has been to the playoffs 3 times (1-3 record) and QB'ed 3 teams that lost in the last week of the season to knock them out of the playoffs. No SB's, No NFC Championships.

And it is more of a longevity stat than anything else, but he does hold the record for most passing yards in a career. I don't think you were comparing Romo to Farve, but I think Farve did enough good things that people will overlook some of the bad. Romo doesn't have the positive resume to overcome some of the shortcomings of his career.
Favre had five straight years of throwing 30+ TD's in an era when it was still relatively rare to throw 30. He also led the league in TD's in three of those.

Romo may be unfairly maligned from playing for the Cowboys where expectations are higher, but he's only been in 4 playoff games in his career and won just one of them.

Riversco said:

While I didn't say that Romo was better than Favre, if you look at it statistically in every metric for a passer Romo is better than Favre. Better QB rating, better TD%, better INT% better Y/A, Y/C virtually every metric. Fine Favre's teams won more games that can't be argued and people will always, and unfairly, use that as the only measure for a QB (a logic that allows Jeff Hostetler to be considered as good as Favre) but the bottom line is that Romo has done nothing but produce at in incredibly high level and he gets very little respect for it.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]Favre otoh had a stunning number of colossal failures in the playoffs and it was always free pass central, Romo had the field goal snap and people will never forgive him or let him forget about it.[/SIZE]

All but a small handful of teams over the last 8 seasons would have been thrilled to have a QB of Romo's ability at the helm.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]So get back to me when Tony Romo has the equivalent benefit of Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf and Reggie White so we can at least make a more reasonable comparison about team success. Favre didn't win anything by himself and neither has any individual player.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

While I didn't say that Romo was better than Favre, if you look at it statistically in every metric for a passer Romo is better than Favre. Better QB rating, better TD%, better INT% better Y/A, Y/C virtually every metric. Fine Favre's teams won more games that can't be argued and people will always, and unfairly, use that as the only measure for a QB (a logic that allows Jeff Hostetler to be considered as good as Favre) but the bottom line is that Romo has done nothing but produce at in incredibly high level and he gets very little respect for it.

[SIZE=14.28px]Favre otoh had a stunning number of colossal failures in the playoffs and it was always free pass central, Romo had the field goal snap and people will never forgive him or let him forget about it.[/SIZE]

All but a small handful of teams over the last 8 seasons would have been thrilled to have a QB of Romo's ability at the helm.

[SIZE=14.28px]So get back to me when Tony Romo has the equivalent benefit of Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf and Reggie White so we can at least make a more reasonable comparison about team success. Favre didn't win anything by himself and neither has any individual player.[/SIZE]
I am not criticizing Romo. We both know that QB's get too much credit for their teams victories and too much blame for their losses. This is true of Romo. His teams just don't have the big victories to give him too much credit for.

Do you want Romo to be the Archie Manning/Rodney Dangerfield of his era? I'm okay with that. He has been a very good QB over the course of his career. He has made some bad decisions late in games which have cost his team wins. He has made some off-field decisions that have fairly or unfairly painted him as not totally dedicated to the game (Cabo trip with Jessica Simpson during bye week, Trying out for U.S. Open Golf tournament in off season). But he has been a top level QB.

As for Farve, he did have an unbelievable 2009 without the benefit of Holmgren/Wolf/White.

Rotoworld:

Following Sunday's win at Seattle, Tony Romo admitted he might have a rib issue.

Romo got lit up by Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner in the first quarter, a clear shot to the ribs. He was definitely shook up, but didn't miss any plays. "My back is fine. My rib cartilage might have something to say about it, but we'll see," he said afterward. Romo has played through rib issues before and we'd be surprised if his Week 7 status came into doubt.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
Oct 12 - 9:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Tony Romo - QB - Cowboys

Tony Romo completed 17-of-28 passes for 209 yards, one touchdown, and zero interceptions in the Cowboys' Week 8 overtime loss to the Redskins.

The statistical result doesn't matter here. Romo's back is the chief concern. Redskins DC Jim Haslett was blitzing Romo as much as he could, and ILB Keenan Robinson hit home unblocked on a third-quarter sack with his knee drilling Romo in the back on the play. Romo missed two possessions before returning late in the fourth quarter. He didn't look like himself, getting sacked and fumbling on his first dropback before throwing a should-be interception on his first pass back. Romo was probably hopped up on pain killers, so his back is going to be something to watch on a short week before hosting the Cardinals. Coach Jason Garrett said after the game that Romo has a "back contusion," and will be looked at again in the morning.

Oct 27 - 11:52 PM

Users who are viewing this thread