What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo? (3 Viewers)

Maybe if the Dallas D would step up once in a while he might not have to play the game of his career every game. The guy puts up near 30 TD's and over 4000 yards a year and he is the scapegoat every single year.

Maybe if the Dallas D would step up once in a while he might not have to play the game of his career every game. The guy puts up near 30 TD's and over 4000 yards a year and he is the scapegoat every single year.
Sack and an Int deep inside his own territory 48-48 all, he looked like Ryan Tannehill on that last series. He always makes the worst decisions at the most crucial moments of games...it has happened to him again and again.

Sack and an Int deep inside his own territory 48-48 all, he looked like Ryan Tannehill on that last series. He always makes the worst decisions at the most crucial moments of games...it has happened to him again and again.
I agree--but the decisions that his coaches made to not let the broncos score immediately after the int was almost as bad as the int itself. You have a qb who is having one of the best games a qb has had in the history of the nfl--you have 3 targets (dez, williams, witten) who each have over 100 yards receiving. You're having no problems moving the ball--and if you let them score immediately--you are down 7 points with around 90 seconds left with at least one timeout to go. I would much rather take the odds of going for overtime--than prater missing a chip shot field goal. My main point is that the dallas coaching staff could have put the team in a better situation even after the int was thrown.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you rolling your eyes? This is Romo's MO.

+1. As is always the case with Romo, Dallas wouldn't have been even close to in the game if he hadn't put up an absurdly great performance the rest of the day. If he threw his 1 pick in the first quarter and Dallas was already down 14 and out of the game in the fourth quarter, people would like him better.

Because this mentality is just like most people in Dallas. Like I stated before, the guy is a very serviceable QB and puts up enough numbers for Dallas to win every year, the team around him does not most of the time. The last time I checked football was a team game. I'm not dismissing the fact that he has made some errors but to place the blame on him time and time again is just ludicrous.

This is not a 1 game blunder..this is a proven track record of prime time blunders..

Although he did win me my FF game today..and I love him as my FF QB.

People that keep excusing Romo's play in crucial situations do not understand the psychology of sports.

The very fact that he was having his best game ever but still did what he always does just further proves the point.

This is not a 1 game blunder..this is a proven track record of prime time blunders..

Although he did win me my FF game today..and I love him as my FF QB.
I too like to thank Tony. He got me 65 points and sealed the win for my team.

People that keep excusing Romo's play in crucial situations do not understand the psychology of sports.

The very fact that he was having his best game ever but still did what he always does just further proves the point.
He's no Matt Schaub

Because people like Winners and time and time again when he is needed to make plays to win we witness meltdowns
I think Romo played fantastic. The Cowboys would never have been in that game if it weren't for him. He led that offense to 48 points. He threw a pick, but so did Manning. I don't care when the picks were thrown. The offense didn't lose the game for the Cowboys.

Because people like Winners and time and time again when he is needed to make plays to win we witness meltdowns
I think Romo played fantastic. The Cowboys would never have been in that game if it weren't for him. He led that offense to 48 points. He threw a pick, but so did Manning. I don't care when the picks were thrown. The offense didn't lose the game for the Cowboys.
The second half was basically a flag football game,,passing every down and the key was going to be what QB was going to make the big mistake in crunch time...Romo made the big mistake...

The second half was basically a flag football game,,passing every down and the key was going to be what QB was going to make the big mistake in crunch time...Romo made the big mistake...
what other QB would have even been in that game in the first place...................other than Rodgers, Brees, and Brady.

ROmo played fantastic

what other QB would have even been in that game in the first place...................other than Rodgers, Brees, and Brady.

ROmo played fantastic
You think only future HoF types are who you should compare Romo with?

Because this mentality is just like most people in Dallas. Like I stated before, the guy is a very serviceable QB and puts up enough numbers for Dallas to win every year, the team around him does not most of the time. The last time I checked football was a team game. I'm not dismissing the fact that he has made some errors but to place the blame on him time and time again is just ludicrous.
I agree with this. The blame should be on Demarco Murray. His terrible whiff of a block that turned into a holding penalty caused the INT. Romo threw a nice pass to Bryant that would have had them almost at midfield and instead they are 1st and 20 near the goal line. It wasn't a good pass on the INT, but Romo is thinking that he HAS to get a first down or what happened will happen, i.e. Denver scores and there isn't enough time to come back. With as bad as his defense was getting ripped apart, Romo has to win the game on that posession and that holding penalty basically lost them 35 yards and put Romo in a hole.

What about Brady? Threw yet another game killing INT today to end it. The only player that has played worse late in games the last 5 or so years than Brady is Romo.

Given that early in his career, Brady was once regarded as the most clutch player in the game, what happened to suddenly make him one of the most un-clutch players? Did his psychology suddenly change or was it just statistical variance?

Stuff happens.

People have short memories.

I recall one Peyton Manning throwing an overtime interception only nine months ago and getting vilified in the media.

DENVER – The final pass of Peyton Manning's marvelous comeback season ended up in the arms of a Baltimore Ravens defensive back.

Manning, Denver's 36-year-old quarterback, played five full quarters in frigid temperatures Saturday, threw three touchdown passes, including one that gave Denver a lead midway through the fourth quarter, but this is what we'll remember:

Manning, again, faltered in the playoffs.

Manning's overtime interception -- his third turnover of the game -- led to the Ravens' game-winning field goal nearly two minutes into the second overtime period, as the Ravens won the AFC divisional playoff game, 38-35, and Manning fell to 9-11 in postseason games in his career. More importantly to the Broncos, Manning is now 0-1 as Denver's quarterback in the playoffs.

"Bad throw," Manning said. "Probably the decision wasn't great, either. I thought I had an opening, and I didn't get enough on it, and I was trying to make a play and certainly a throw I'd like to have back."

What about Brady? Threw yet another game killing INT today to end it. The only player that has played worse late in games the last 5 or so years than Brady is Romo.

Given that early in his career, Brady was once regarded as the most clutch player in the game, what happened to suddenly make him one of the most un-clutch players? Did his psychology suddenly change or was it just statistical variance?
Probably age and general lack of talent at the receiver postion this season....but when you are wearing 3 SuperBowl Rings and been to a couple of others you get some slack.

Career in a nutshell today. Game of his life as the announcers pronounced throughout the 3rd Q/Early 4th and then he does exactly what he has his entire career.
Again today, even Rodney Harrison said the last interception was on Romo.

I love watching Romo play QB, it's fun but he just doesn't deliver in the clutch.

Today's loss was a collaborative effort. Dallas was winning by 3 plus Tds at half and Murray was running all over the place. In the 2nd half, Dallas ran the ball 4 times, that is horrible coaching.

The defense is the worst in the NFL, asking them to step up and make a play when the game is on the line is comical. They are truly brutal and their inability to nail draft picks shows up again as they have no depth.

Tony Romo knew that game was on the line and had the lead and he checked out of a run to throw that 1st pick. Horrible decision, the loss is on him as much as any. He deserves the credit he gets for this loss.

Romo in general takes too much blame for the COwboy's woes.....but he deserves a bunch of it today.

Try searching Romo's name here.

There are 8 pages of Romo threads going back over the years.

Titles like, "Romo's pick" and "why all the Romo hate" and "Romo chokes" and "Romo fumble."

Look, I won't kid you, I love seeing the Cowboys lose, but everyone has to admit this is a great franchise that is being over-controlled into mediocrity by its owner. If the Cowboys had even a merely decent owner who took this situation over now, he would (1) get a new GM, (2) get a new coaching staff, (3) trade Romo to a young team trying to get some veteran stability at QB before the draft, and start over in what is likely the best QB draft in a long time.

Cowboy fans must be disgusted because none of this is is going to happen. Maybe they cut Garrett and the staff loose, but that would be wrong, and really just compound problems, if they don't get rid of the GM - that is where the problems start. The Cowboys are going to be stuck with JJ for a loooonnnggg time, and it's just going to get worse, I think he'll eventually turn into the later-years Al Davis only much much sooner than Al Davis did. And after that.... JJ Jr., Stephen, can take over. And repeat.

Today's loss was a collaborative effort. Dallas was winning by 3 plus Tds at half and Murray was running all over the place. In the 2nd half, Dallas ran the ball 4 times, that is horrible coaching.

The defense is the worst in the NFL, asking them to step up and make a play when the game is on the line is comical. They are truly brutal and their inability to nail draft picks shows up again as they have no depth.

Tony Romo knew that game was on the line and had the lead and he checked out of a run to throw that 1st pick. Horrible decision, the loss is on him as much as any. He deserves the credit he gets for this loss.
Blame can be equally assigned in any given game but unfortunately for Romo, the importance of different positions is not equally weighted. Amazing things have been done by various teams over the years to restock/retool defenses and even o-lines fairly quickly but QB is a different matter. It should be "go? / no go?" decision time for him (The proverbial "Is he the guy?" question) and I don't know how anyone can conclude that he is at this point.

Game of inches.......Romo escapes Mathews, and thows just slightly behind Austin. He completes that pass, its a TD. There was no one behind Austin. I think it was the right call, he just didnt make the throw.

I maintain that Romo is not the problem. He's got his faults, of course. But Jerrah is a horrible GM. Thats where it starts. The coaching staff is bad at game management. The defense wasnt very good at full strength. At the strength they are currently, arguably the worst in the NFL.

How Cowboy fans can excuse that pass to Austin that was picked is unbelievable to me. It's classic Romo, not knowing the circumstances of the game. Just like the previous week when the entire offense around him clearly had no clue what was going on during the 4th and 9 play but rather than call a time out on the games most critical play he just powers thru it and throws one into the dirt for a turnover.

Take the sack or throw the ball away. Just about any play was a better option than throwing over the middle late with you're feet way out of position and that stage of the game.

mainly cause he is a cowboy.. any other team he'd be seen in a different light.

think about it.. an undrafted kid from eastern illinois starting in the nfl.. started from the bottom now we here.

instead nothing but egg on his face

jurb26 said:
How Cowboy fans can excuse that pass to Austin that was picked is unbelievable to me. It's classic Romo, not knowing the circumstances of the game. Just like the previous week when the entire offense around him clearly had no clue what was going on during the 4th and 9 play but rather than call a time out on the games most critical play he just powers thru it and throws one into the dirt for a turnover.

Take the sack or throw the ball away. Just about any play was a better option than throwing over the middle late with you're feet way out of position and that stage of the game.
Ok, long time Dallas fan and Romo fan.

However, I agree with most posts about him not making great decisions in critical times.

We all love him when he single handidly escapes and throws a great pass and/or TD.

Yesterday was not that day. He did what he normally does and it didn't work.

#1 based on the clock, he should have stayed with the run play. Even if they boxed that side like he said, let Murray worry about getting the yards.

#2 he was under pressure and could have thrown it away and lived for another play. It wasn't 4th down and a last chance play.

#3 he saw Austin one on one and could have been a hero IF he led Austin on the play(assuming Austin catches it)Austin had his guy beat.

#4 he was not set and threw the pass awkwardly without enough power on it to get it in front of Austin.

I personally think he tried too hard to win it there because he just saw the defense give up 4 consecutive drives to GB to put him in the position he was in. He would never say it, but he can win the game or let the defense stop GB if they don't get a 1st. What would you think he was thinking? I'm going to win it and not let GB get the ball back. Oops, didn't work out.

Try searching Romo's name here.

There are 8 pages of Romo threads going back over the years.

Titles like, "Romo's pick" and "why all the Romo hate" and "Romo chokes" and "Romo fumble."

Look, I won't kid you, I love seeing the Cowboys lose, but everyone has to admit this is a great franchise that is being over-controlled into mediocrity by its owner. If the Cowboys had even a merely decent owner who took this situation over now, he would (1) get a new GM, (2) get a new coaching staff, (3) trade Romo to a young team trying to get some veteran stability at QB before the draft, and start over in what is likely the best QB draft in a long time.

Cowboy fans must be disgusted because none of this is is going to happen. Maybe they cut Garrett and the staff loose, but that would be wrong, and really just compound problems, if they don't get rid of the GM - that is where the problems start. The Cowboys are going to be stuck with JJ for a loooonnnggg time, and it's just going to get worse, I think he'll eventually turn into the later-years Al Davis only much much sooner than Al Davis did. And after that.... JJ Jr., Stephen, can take over. And repeat.
I missed your post before. :goodposting:

Its obvious that with each failure, JJ is more driven to get the Cowboys back to glory. He will never give up. Unfortunately, he's just not a good GM. That is our reality, and it sucks!...............Is Barry Switzer available? :mellow:

Game of inches.......Romo escapes Mathews, and thows just slightly behind Austin. He completes that pass, its a TD. There was no one behind Austin. I think it was the right call, he just didnt make the throw.

I maintain that Romo is not the problem. He's got his faults, of course. But Jerrah is a horrible GM. Thats where it starts. The coaching staff is bad at game management. The defense wasnt very good at full strength. At the strength they are currently, arguably the worst in the NFL.
Not the problem...interesting. You just admit that he had the right call...but couldn't make the throw. Something that he seems to struggle with often.

That seems like he is a huge huge part of the problem.

Dallas gave up TDs on all five GB possessions in the 2nd half. They're last in the league in yards allowed per game, and something like 26th in pts allowed per game.

I don't understand how a QB that has a 3:1 TD/INT ratio and a top 11 passing grade per PFF can get as much crap as he does when he's doing more to put his team in a position to win than the majority of his teammates. With a credible defense, Dallas is in the playoffs right now. Probably last year as well.

Dallas gave up TDs on all five GB possessions in the 2nd half. They're last in the league in yards allowed per game, and something like 26th in pts allowed per game.

I don't understand how a QB that has a 3:1 TD/INT ratio and a top 11 passing grade per PFF can get as much crap as he does when he's doing more to put his team in a position to win than the majority of his teammates. With a credible defense, Dallas is in the playoffs right now. Probably last year as well.
Because if Dal simply runs the ball in the second half GB doesn't even have time to score 5 times. Also, if Romo doesn't throw 2 awful picks and take another awful sack they don't have time to score 5 times.

Because he's statistically the best QB over the last 5-7 who hasn't won a title, has had a bad playoff record in general, and has lost a number of regular season games in epic fashion.

Aside from Staubach and Aikman, he's gotta be the next best QB in Cows history.

True, but even with the horrid defense, they had a good chance of winning until those picks. The defense will have to be addressed during the offseason, very few jobs on that side of the ball are safe.

I don't see Romo going anywhere, with a good defense, he's good enough to win games. He's just not good enough to win games all on his own.

Because he's statistically the best QB over the last 5-7 who hasn't won a title, has had a bad playoff record in general, and has lost a number of regular season games in epic fashion.

Aside from Staubach and Aikman, he's gotta be the next best QB in Cows history.
Meredith and Danny White were better.

The Cowboys all time history doesn't go much further in terms of long time decent starters after these guys, except for maybe LeBaron and (in my personal opinion) that's the only one Romo ranks ahead of.

That's still a long list though. They still have more very good (Romo) to HOF franchise QBs in their history than most teams.

CAR, SF, CIN, IND, and MIA are all currently holding down playoffs spots with clearly worse QB play.

Even the best QBs make crushing mistakes. Brees threw two terrible picks yesterday against the Rams, and his team lost. Last year he threw 19 picks and had a 2.3 TD:INT ratio. Of course, the NO defense was epically bad last year as well. Which do you think most people would say was more to blame for their 7-9 season?

Here's my take. Many Dallas fans have no hope their defense will make a play or a stop when it's needed to win a game. They also don't have any confidence in their coaching or front office. All their hope is in the offense, and Romo is the guy who drives that bus. So it doesn't matter as much (emotionally) if the defense sucks, or if the offensive line sucks, or if the playcalling sucks, or if the drafting sucks because nobody has much hope that it won't.

When the offense (i.e. Romo) doesn't get it done, though, well then things get angsty because there was actually an expectation for something better.

Not the problem...interesting. You just admit that he had the right call...but couldn't make the throw. Something that he seems to struggle with often.

That seems like he is a huge huge part of the problem.
Im talking about the big picture in Dallas. He's made some bad throws and poor decsions, sure. But, he's also routinely put in tough situations because the defense is so bad.

If Dallas had a better D, this thread would be buried or non-existent.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett isn't worried about Tony Romo's confidence for Week 16.

"I think he’s going to bounce back well," Garrett said Monday. "Tony’s played very well at the end of a lot of games. ... Sometimes he and we haven’t played well at the end of games. We have to find a way to do it on a more consistent basis." Romo's Week 15 pick-a-palooza was direly costly, but far from the only reason Dallas choked away a 26-3 halftime lead. Garrett's decision not to pound away on the ground was far more ruinous. Romo has an excellent Week 16 matchup in the Redskins. He remains a QB1.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread