What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would this SF/TB QB trade be crazy? (2 Viewers)

Along with trading Garoppolo when he was good trade bait and gone after Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold with the high pick
Actually, I was saying they should not have traded for JG to begin with. I immediately pointed this out last year and basically got flogged for it because people like to agree with the talking heads who always come away with positive takes on splash trades. My premise was they should've waited until free agency to pursue him because:
1) they'd still have their 2nd round pick
2) they *probably* could've signed him cheaper as a free agent than they did after trading for him and allowing him an audition
3) their 1st round pick would've been higher and they could've traded it for a king's ransom to a QB-needy team

There was more to it, but I don't want to get into all the details because people will just tell me I'm stupid and don't see the genius of Lynch's moves (the guy whose resume said he was totally unqualified for the job). I think history will prove me right, though. I already felt somewhat vindicated when they had to give him the biggest QB contract in history despite having the extremely valuable (/s) sole negotiating rights. Although I really wish he hadn't gotten hurt so we could've seen how the season played out. Was off to a rough start.

The other side would be what you said... by not trading for him they could've evaluated their other options (Mayfied, Rosen, Darnold). Perhaps a rookie on a fixed contract would've been the route to go when they realized a championship wasn't in the cards in year 2 of their regime. 

Garapollo (sp?) out for the season.  Winston returns in TB.

TB starts Fitz week 4 and right after the end of their week 4 game - knowing they have a week 5 bye coming up - sends Fitzpatrick to SF for say a 4th or 5th rounder.

TB avoids a QB controversy, reinstalls Winston at QB in their bye period, and seems to like Ryan Griffin as a backup QB.  SF gets a chance to salvage its season while upgrading their long term backup QB with a mentor.

Does this seem logical and/or even possible, or should I just hunker down at the nearest barstool, have a few bourbons, and stop being so foolish?

I don't see these options as mutually exclusive.  It does seem logical AND you should hunker down and enjoy a few good bourbons!

Gally said:
Here is a trade I think makes more sense but will never happen.  Tampa is rolling and really just need an improvement to their run game.  How about trade Winston & Ronald Jones to Pittsburgh for LeVeon Bell?  Big Ben isn't long for the game anymore.  Winston can be Pittsburgh's QB of the future and Ronald Jones has a high pedigree that Pitt could take a chance on.  Pitt gets rid of a headache in Bell.    TB gets a great RB ready to prove something and now that offense is unstoppable.  Sign Bell long term.
So the Bucs can trade a 24 year old QB to a team with a 36 year old QB . . . and TB would be left with a 36 year old journeyman QB? Or do people really think that Fitzpatrick (with a career QB rating of 81) is going to maintain his 125 QB rating?

Users who are viewing this thread