What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Adam Thielen - CAR (2 Viewers)

9 targets, 7/54/TD
14 targets, 11/145/TD
8 targets, 7/76
13 targets 11/107/TD

He is just raking the last 4 weeks and for an old man, totally overlooked by most on this message board.

100+/1,400+/10+TDs
He's an MVP nominee
Went in about the 8th-10th Rounds in most of my drafts, I never even raised an eyebrow towards wanting to draft him this year.
33 years old, can he keep this pace up?

9 targets, 7/54/TD
14 targets, 11/145/TD
8 targets, 7/76
13 targets 11/107/TD

He is just raking the last 4 weeks and for an old man, totally overlooked by most on this message board.

100+/1,400+/10+TDs
He's an MVP nominee
Went in about the 8th-10th Rounds in most of my drafts, I never even raised an eyebrow towards wanting to draft him this year.
I kinda thought he could start hot this year, as vets often tend to, but I never thought he'd be near this level again.

I think its unlikely he keeps this pace up, but at the same time, like you said, he went in round 10 in many drafts, he's been a huge steal, even if he slows to more WR2 production. I got him in 1 draft, and sold after the Dalton game as part of a package for Josh Allen (so not regretting it) but he's looked great.

There is something to be said that maybe his demise was overstated simply because we were seeing him directly opposite Jefferson, so he looked like he'd lost more of a step than he had. He's kinda been like 2012 Reggie Wayne so far.

9 targets, 7/54/TD
14 targets, 11/145/TD
8 targets, 7/76
13 targets 11/107/TD

100+/1,400+/10+TDs
He's an MVP nominee
I kinda thought he could start hot this year, as vets often tend to, but I never thought he'd be near this level again.

I think its unlikely he keeps this pace up, but at the same time, like you said, he went in round 10 in many drafts, he's been a huge steal, even if he slows to more WR2 production. I got him in 1 draft, and sold after the Dalton game as part of a package for Josh Allen (so not regretting it) but he's looked great.

There is something to be said that maybe his demise was overstated simply because we were seeing him directly opposite Jefferson, so he looked like he'd lost more of a step than he had. He's kinda been like 2012 Reggie Wayne so far.
I drafted him and cut him after his slow start week 1. Go figure.

It did seem that Thielen might be washed up last season as he just was not making the impact he used to in games and nothing had changed. Cousins had great chemistry with Thielen.

Then the Vikings traded for TJ Hockenson, and that move further suggested that Thielen wasnt good enough to take advantage of all the extra defensive attention Jefferson was getting, and Thielens contributions seemed to fade even more after the trade.

I know Thielen was dealing with some injuries the last 2 seasons that he played through when he could. Maybe that was part of it and he is fully healthy now. Im not sure.

He does seem to be rejuvinated though so far this season and it just makes me wonder why the Vikings gave up on him if he can still play this well?

It did seem that Thielen might be washed up last season as he just was not making the impact he used to in games and nothing had changed. Cousins had great chemistry with Thielen.

Then the Vikings traded for TJ Hockenson, and that move further suggested that Thielen wasnt good enough to take advantage of all the extra defensive attention Jefferson was getting, and Thielens contributions seemed to fade even more after the trade.

I know Thielen was dealing with some injuries the last 2 seasons that he played through when he could. Maybe that was part of it and he is fully healthy now. Im not sure.

He does seem to be rejuvinated though so far this season and it just makes me wonder why the Vikings gave up on him if he can still play this well?
33 YO wide receivers fall off a cliff VERY fast. It was a smart move by the Vikes to let him go when, at the time, KJ Osborn looked pretty promising. Then Addison falls into their laps. Car was smart to take a chance on him. He's a solid security blanket for Young and, while a lot slower than he used to be, can still get some separation.

I haven't looked up his YAC but must be pretty good.

Carolina has no intermediate passing game; Young was like 21/21 for 153 on 0-9 yards yesterday, 2-8 48 yards 1 iNT with a passer rating of 12.5 on 10-19 yards. 0-2 1 INT on screens, 2-2 46 on 20+ passes.

Anyway, Thielen looks like the guy he has always been. Reliable, gets open, nose for the end zone. Forget about age in redraft, the trend is your friend.

33 YO wide receivers fall off a cliff VERY fast. It was a smart move by the Vikes to let him go when, at the time, KJ Osborn looked pretty promising. Then Addison falls into their laps. Car was smart to take a chance on him. He's a solid security blanket for Young and, while a lot slower than he used to be, can still get some separation.
I hadnt really thought about his age honestly, but yeah you are right 33-34 is where a drop in WR performance happens historically on average and then a much steeper drop at age 35.

So the Vikings did let him go at the end of the WR plateau that happens at age 28-32.

Thielen just turned 33 in August.

I will always be a fan. Home state product who came out of nowhere as a try out player who just earned his way on the team through hard work. Exceeding any and all expectations.

Great person with a positive attitude.

I hadnt really thought about his age honestly, but yeah you are right 33-34 is where a drop in WR performance happens historically on average and then a much steeper drop at age 35.

So the Vikings did let him go at the end of the WR plateau that happens at age 28-32.

Thielen just turned 33 in August.

I will always be a fan. Home state product who came out of nowhere as a try out player who just earned his way on the team through hard work. Exceeding any and all expectations.

Great person with a positive attitude.
Oh, absolutely. Dude did everything the Vikes asked of him and more. Glad he got a solid last contract from the Panthers.

He went undrafted in my league and I got him off the waiver wire week 2 or 3. With Garret Wilson and Christian Watson among my drafted WRs, Thielen is keeping my season alive.

Next Gen Stats
Adam Thielen caught 7 of 9 targets for 65 yards and a TD when aligned in the slot in Week 6 against the Dolphins.

Thielen leads the NFL in targets (41), receptions (34), yards (351) and TD receptions (4) from the slot this season.

#CARvsMIA | #KeepPounding
Another example of a player who plays outside but excels from their opportunities playing from the slot.

This was true for him before the Vikings added Jefferson who also excels for his opportunities from the slot.

As Jefferson was doing more damage with those opportunities it took some of those opportunities away from Thielen. So moving to another team allowed him to get more of these opportunities back.

Happy for him and a little sad the Vikings were not in a position to get more out of Thielen for no fault of his own, but just because they had better options.

I drafted him knowing he was the #1 in Carolina and figured game scripts would have them throwing a lot. After a 2 catch, 12 yard performance week 1 I dropped him. Doh!

Have had Thielen on my dynasty squad since his rookie year. I used to work with his dad's cousin so kind of got a heads up on him early on and decided to stash on my taxi squad. Quickly became one of my favorite players ever. Very happy for him and his resurgence.

One of my favorite stories I heard from his dad's cousin was when the Vikes were scrimmaging against the Bengals and Pacman Jones and other CB(s) were complaining they had to cover Adam in practice. Bring out the Dawgs they complained, feeling disrespected or whatever that they had to waste their time and talent going up against this no name undrafted kid. And then he goes on to develop into one of the best receivers in the league. He did have one huge flaw in his game though...he married a Packer's fan.

Last edited:
9 targets, 7/54/TD
14 targets, 11/145/TD
8 targets, 7/76
13 targets 11/107/TD

100+/1,400+/10+TDs
He's an MVP nominee

I drafted him and cut him after his slow start week 1. Go figure.
Me too. I wanted to get younger so it’s not all bad what with Rashid Shaheed stepping up and Zay Flowers being startable. There is a lot of depth at WR this year so I wouldn’t blame anyone from moving on from Thielen early on. Rookie QB too. I’m happy for the guy and always thought he was a good to great player.

Traded him after week four for a late 2nd and think I may have pulled the trigger too soon. He's got the juice he had in his younger days back.

Can’t believe I’m actually gutted he’s going on bye next week. What an amazing last flex spot surprise in dynasty he has turned out to be

Users who are viewing this thread