What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (5 Viewers)

Dodds and Tremblay have Cooper projected to be a no brainer WR1 this week.

Don't get it.

Wouldn't Norman shadow Cooper? Or is he sticking to one side so far in weeks 1 and 2?

If he's shadowing, this would seem to be a Crabtree type of game.

Haven't seen a single mention of this being a bad matchup for Cooper this week. In fact I've seen the opposite.

Am I missing something? Or are the experts missing like...everything?

Dodds and Tremblay have Cooper projected to be a no brainer WR1 this week.

Don't get it.

Wouldn't Norman shadow Cooper? Or is he sticking to one side so far in weeks 1 and 2?

If he's shadowing, this would seem to be a Crabtree type of game.

Haven't seen a single mention of this being a bad matchup for Cooper this week. In fact I've seen the opposite.

Am I missing something? Or are the experts missing like...everything?
Cooper, Powell, Fitzgerald, Mixon - tended to be guys that FBG's loved more than the consensus all year.  They stick with them for awhile.

Some of the analysis has been lazy, they just stick with their gut more so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would a team's WR1 have fewer receiving yards than their WR2 for two consecutive years, and have fewer targets than their WR2 this year?
I would think that's the case if they are getting softer coverage for their WR2.  In general, going back to last year, there were less skilled corners facing Crabtree than Cooper. Maybe not the first game here or so but there were many games where Cooper was double covered or shadowed by the team's best receiver.  And he still managed a pretty good year.

Well no. 1 WRs typically do get the best DB. My perception is it's not Cooper but a function of the Oakland offense, Carr spreads it around and they're balanced. That's an effective offensive strategy and they're a great offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crabtree is a WR1, he just doesn't play the Role.. Think back too AZ having three 1K WR's.  IF ya really wanna see Yds, Take a look at when John Jefferson went too GB  Pick your Poison Jefferson OR James Lofton.. I'm sure Lofton (HOF) kept his pos.. But, I believe Jefferson pretty Great.. It would be close too a True 1A 1B type scenario.. I wouldn't sweat Cooper, hes the man in Oakland.. Coachs may adjust something, if needed. Fans wanna see Cooper Ballin too.. 

BigTex said:
Norman doesn't shadow, he lines up on the left side 94% of the time. Breeland lineup on the right 88% and Fuller the slot 88% of the time.

Tex
Cool.  Thanks Tex.  

Where does Cooper line up most often?  How about Crabtree? Anybody know?

Cool.  Thanks Tex.  

Where does Cooper line up most often?  How about Crabtree? Anybody know?
No problem! Coop lineup on the left 55% of the time (Breeland), slot 20% (Fuller) and right 25% (Norman)which means he'll see Breeland most of the day.

Roberts is in the slot 84% so he'll see Fuller and Crabby spends 41% lined up on the right (Norman) 29% in the slot (Fuller), 29% on the left (Breeland)

Tex

No problem! Coop lineup on the left 55% of the time (Breeland), slot 20% (Fuller) and right 25% (Norman)which means he'll see Breeland most of the day.

Roberts is in the slot 84% so he'll see Fuller and Crabby spends 41% lined up on the right (Norman) 29% in the slot (Fuller), 29% on the left (Breeland)

Tex
Thx!  

Feeling the same about Cooper right now how I felt about Cooks last week.  Started Cooks today, and will continue starting Cooper as well.  I think the whole offense for the Raiders was horrible tonight and the playcalling was just as bad. I think the way the game developed really just put them in a funk they couldn't seem to get out of.

If this happens another game or two in a row then maybe you can't trust him?  

Crabs did nothing either and may be dinged, so Cooper might be a target hog like Hopkins going forward.  

Feeling the same about Cooper right now how I felt about Cooks last week.  Started Cooks today, and will continue starting Cooper as well.  I think the whole offense for the Raiders was horrible tonight and the playcalling was just as bad. I think the way the game developed really just put them in a funk they couldn't seem to get out of.

If this happens another game or two in a row then maybe you can't trust him?  

Crabs did nothing either and may be dinged, so Cooper might be a target hog like Hopkins going forward.  
There's no way in hell I'm starting Cooper this week in Denver. 

Denver coming off a bad loss as well. Not a get healthy spot for D. Carr/Cooper/entire offense.

Play calling awful. For example, why not at least TRY a couple of quick WR screens to the left side? Low risk/high reward play (considering Cooper has taken those to the house before).

Also, is it just me or on a couple of long pass plays to Cooper did he just look lost? There was something about the way he was running his route and tracking the ball that seemed completely off.

There's no way in hell I'm starting Cooper this week in Denver. 

Denver coming off a bad loss as well. Not a get healthy spot for D. Carr/Cooper/entire offense.

Play calling awful. For example, why not at least TRY a couple of quick WR screens to the left side? Low risk/high reward play (considering Cooper has taken those to the house before).

Also, is it just me or on a couple of long pass plays to Cooper did he just look lost? There was something about the way he was running his route and tracking the ball that seemed completely off.
I have been a pretty big Cooper fan and expected him to take another step forward this year.  So far, I have been totally wrong.  He looks worse than his rookie year.  Last nights game was terrible but his routes were sloppy and he was not playing hard.  His hands were terrible.  He may be pressing and not letting things come naturally.  

I mentioned it in another thread but the Raiders game plan and lack of adjustments on both sides of the ball were the most troubling part of the disaster game.  If that continues, Cooper will be taken out of most games.    

I didn't watch last night but it's not helping my assessment the previous week when I watched three straight plays of him being targeted in the red-zone 1:1 and he couldn't separate or bring down the catch on any of them. All from the one-yard line. Super, super disappointing. If I can flip him for someone like Baldwin or Hopkins I will not hesitate.

I didn't watch last night but it's not helping my assessment the previous week when I watched three straight plays of him being targeted in the red-zone 1:1 and he couldn't separate or bring down the catch on any of them. All from the one-yard line. Super, super disappointing. If I can flip him for someone like Baldwin or Hopkins I will not hesitate.
Now's not the week to try and sell, if Crabtree misses one game (doesn't look serious) hopefully Cooper can have a nice week to sell.

What's the opposite of a 3rd year breakout?

I kid. He'll be fine. Won't ever be a redzone monster, but I don't see him imploding this year. The whole offense looked like dookie last night.

What is everyone else doing with him this week @DENVER?

Don't see much upside.

If Baldwin out, I could see playing P. Richardson over him in a sweet matchup at home vs. INDY. Also, Funchess @NE.

He's sitting on my bench this week.  I can't put him back out there after the last two weeks.

Just acquired and I'll start him vs. Denver. They aren't giving up a ton of yards to WRs but have been yielding TDs. Fingers crossed for 60/1.

Just acquired and I'll start him vs. Denver. They aren't giving up a ton of yards to WRs but have been yielding TDs. Fingers crossed for 60/1.
It's possible if Crabtree is out, but as a Cooper owner I think that 20 yards and 0 TDs is more likely. Thus why I'll have Desean in instead.

Look at Cooper's 4 games against Denver the last two years.

14 total receptions.

One game: Goose egg.

This is one of those games where ALL data points towards benching a player.

Just bought him for Tate and Buck Allen in redraft last week.  Fortunately he didn't cost me my game but that was brutal. 

Still believe in the talent so hopefully, he will figure it out.  Thought he had fixed the drop problem last year.  Whole team looked brutal on Sunday Night.  Offense seemed really vanilla so hopefully, the OC can come up with something a little more imaginative moving forward.  

He has been on the injury report every week, starting before week 1, with a knee ailment. I wonder if his  lack of production is related to that

Gonna wait for the Denver game then hopefully try to buy low after that 
Agreed. In redraft, what would be a reasonable offer (defined to be one that would be accepted)? Straight up WR for WR to not get too complicated.

I'm thinking a high-floor, low ceiling type like Garcon/Thielen....or maybe boom/bust WR3 like D. Adams/R. Cobb.

So thrilled to have bought low this week in dynasty. Take advantage of other owner's recency bias who are looking to unload a top talent after a few bad games and an early season Crabtreefest. You'll reap the benefits of this 23-year old WR who didn't forget how to play football after last year:

Amari Cooper 2016 Highlights

Be greedy when others are fearful.

So thrilled to have bought low this week in dynasty. Take advantage of other owner's recency bias who are looking to unload a top talent after a few bad games and an early season Crabtreefest. You'll reap the benefits of this 23-year old WR who didn't forget how to play football after last year:

Amari Cooper 2016 Highlights

Be greedy when others are fearful.
I'm hoping the Denver game drives the price even lower.

Users who are viewing this thread