What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cole Beasley, BUF (1 Viewer)

Beasley now commenting on and directly going after teammate Jerry Hughes after Hughes was bickering with other NFL players about the vaccine. Both guys dumb for airing any of this on Twitter, but Beasley leaking that a vaccinated teammate tested positive on Monday and now arguing with a teammate publicly on Twitter is a horrible look and horrible for team chemistry.

The Bills brass need to either put a stop to it immediately and tell everyone to keep that stuff off social media, or they need to start seriously weighing whether the disruption he is creating outweighs his value to the team.

It is looking more and more likely that unless Beasley gets vaccinated he will be cut IMO. Teams are not taking non-compliance lightly:

https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/1418628745049493508

Breaking:

Rick Dennison is out as Vikings offensive line coach/run game coordinator after refusing the COVID-19 vaccine. MIN will promote assistant OL coach Phil Rauscher to replace Dennison, hired Auburn special teams analyst Ben Steele as an assistant.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869652/rick-dennison-minnesota-vikings-assistant-refusing-covid-19-vaccine-sources-say

Beasley now commenting on and directly going after teammate Jerry Hughes after Hughes was bickering with other NFL players about the vaccine. Both guys dumb for airing any of this on Twitter, but Beasley leaking that a vaccinated teammate tested positive on Monday and now arguing with a teammate publicly on Twitter is a horrible look and horrible for team chemistry.

The Bills brass need to either put a stop to it immediately and tell everyone to keep that stuff off social media, or they need to start seriously weighing whether the disruption he is creating outweighs his value to the team.
😡 that I had to hunt google for the new Beasley response. My reaction is Beasley is king of false equivalence straw men. He’s not well in the mind.

I wonder why the NFL can make a rule on someone's body/taking a shot and if you don't you're fired and that's not a breach of freedom

But they can't make players stand for the anthem, that IS a breach of freedom

I wonder why the NFL can make a rule on someone's body/taking a shot and if you don't you're fired and that's not a breach of freedom

That isn't a rule the NFL has made. Individual teams have hiring/firing decisions regarding coaches.

And players (like Kaepernick) were not forced to stand for the anthem because it was not required in the CBA at that time (haven't seen the most recent CBA that was adopted, so perhaps that has changed). 

That isn't a rule the NFL has made. Individual teams have hiring/firing decisions regarding coaches.

And players (like Kaepernick) were not forced to stand for the anthem because it was not required in the CBA at that time (haven't seen the most recent CBA that was adopted, so perhaps that has changed). 
The CBA forces a covid vaccine?

Why wouldn't they be allowed?  They can make a rule that if you test positive for marijuana you're fired.  They can make a rule that if you show up late for practice you're fired.  They can make a rule that if you drop seventeen passes in a row or miss six field goals in a row you're fired.  Are any of those breach of freedom (by the way, that's not a thing).

For what it’s worth, if teams wanted to implement a “must stand during the anthem” rule or you’re fired, I don’t think it would be a breach of constitutionally protected freedoms. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry he is, he is a dime a dozen wr.  They can fill that void in a second.  The locker room disfunction he is causing goes way beyond guys like Tebow or Kaep.
Beasley isn't a world-beater, but he's currently the best slot receiver on the Bills' roster.  Does he enjoy the same job security as Diggs?  Lol no.  But he's not going to get beaten out my Isaiah McKenzie, so until a Gabe Davis or Isaiah Hodgins or somebody takes his job, he'll stay in the starting lineup.

More importantly, at least as of right now there doesn't seem to be a locker room issue.  Beasley seems to get along well with his teammates, and the coaches like the guy even if they surely wish he would turn off his damn phone.  I'd prefer that this wasn't the case, but we also know that there are a ton of players across the league who agree enthusiastically with his views on vaccination even if they're not so annoyingly vocal about it.  Cutting Beasley because he got beaten out by another player is totally fine, but cutting him because of his views on vaccination would cause more of a locker room issue than keeping him rostered.

But by all means but keep dropping the hot takes.  I see "The Faust of the PSF" agrees with you, so you're in good company.  Keep up the good work. 

Beasley isn't a world-beater, but he's currently the best slot receiver on the Bills' roster.  Does he enjoy the same job security as Diggs?  Lol no.  But he's not going to get beaten out my Isaiah McKenzie, so until a Gabe Davis or Isaiah Hodgins or somebody takes his job, he'll stay in the starting lineup.
This is where I came out on this a while back.  There are a lot of levels of player quality in the NFL (e.g. Superstar, Star, Significant Contributor, Moderate Contributor, Replacement Level).  The higher the level, the more resistant a team will be to cutting the player for off-field behavior, on/off-field antics, or, in this case, possibility of missing games.  Cole Beasley is clearly above replacement level, and probably closest to "significant contributor" on my example list.

That said, I'd bet there won't be a whole lot of replacement level unvaccinated players this year (at least, ones without guaranteed contracts and/or wouldn't cause cap issues were they to be cut), as the financial risk for teams is too high.

More importantly, at least as of right now there doesn't seem to be a locker room issue.  Beasley seems to get along well with his teammates, and the coaches like the guy even if they surely wish he would turn off his damn phone.  I'd prefer that this wasn't the case, but we also know that there are a ton of players across the league who agree enthusiastically with his views on vaccination even if they're not so annoyingly vocal about it.  Cutting Beasley because he got beaten out by another player is totally fine, but cutting him because of his views on vaccination would cause more of a locker room issue than keeping him rostered.

But by all means but keep dropping the hot takes.  I see "The Faust of the PSF" agrees with you, so you're in good company.  Keep up the good work. 

I'm glad you are the smartest guy in the room.  Congrats on being right and everyone else wrong

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/07/bills-cole-beasley-questions-teammate-jerry-hughes-tweet-on-covid-vaccine.html

This doesn't seem like an inconsequential distraction.  Hughes >>>>> Beasley

And I disagree, any of those guys would sub in fine.  Beasley is pocket change.  The bills would be better off without him.  I also understand what I'm saying is my opinion however and you don't have to agree on the talent level

A couple of vets left that would perform just as well in that position 

This is where I came out on this a while back.  There are a lot of levels of player quality in the NFL (e.g. Superstar, Star, Significant Contributor, Moderate Contributor, Replacement Level).  The higher the level, the more resistant a team will be to cutting the player for off-field behavior, on/off-field antics, or, in this case, possibility of missing games.  Cole Beasley is clearly above replacement level, and probably closest to "significant contributor" on my example list.

That said, I'd bet there won't be a whole lot of replacement level unvaccinated players this year (at least, ones without guaranteed contracts and/or wouldn't cause cap issues were they to be cut), as the financial risk for teams is too high.
I agree.  You won't see Tommy Sweeny or Justin Zimmer or Jake Fromm mouthing off about vaccination, and I'd be kind of surprised if those sorts of guys weren't all jabbed already.  They know how this goes.

killface said:
A couple of vets left that would perform just as well in that position 
I doubt that. They probably wouldn't perform just as well, and if they could, they'd be signed in a heartbeat and left to roam unfettered. Buffalo is the only team I've heard to come out and say jobs are on the line and depend on fringe players getting the vaccine, so you know they're monitoring the situation closely, which leads me to believe that the only reason Buffalo is putting up with this is because he's the best option.

Him and Allen were in sync last year to the tune of 80+ receptions for 950+ yards from the slot. That's pretty good. Anybody who watched a game knew Beasley was Allen's security blanket, much like Edelman/Welker were for Brady. Fantasy teams saw a boon from his production. He was WR32 over the course of the year, much higher than he had finished before. Teams playing PPR often got Beasley'd in Wk 15 when he went 8 catches for 114 yards in the semi-final week of most leagues. 

Regardless of his vax stance, one I vehemently disagree with (I'm not a fan in the least of it and see him as a distraction and a sore spot), cutting him seems like something a little more difficult than you assert. Will he be cut? Possibly, if they can find someone to replicate his services at that level. But they're not just cutting him willy-nilly without a viable replacement. This one can tell by their public stance on vaccination and their personnel decision regarding Beasley. The proof is in the pudding here, so far anyway. 

IvanKaramazov said:

I think Gabriel Davis fills the role pretty well. 

I think Gabriel Davis fills the role pretty well. 
Gabriel Davis and Cole Beasley are very different players.  I think Gabriel Davis should be (and likely will be) a starter this season, but he and Beasley are not interchangeable.  They play vastly different roles in the offense.

I agree.  You won't see Tommy Sweeny or Justin Zimmer or Jake Fromm mouthing off about vaccination, and I'd be kind of surprised if those sorts of guys weren't all jabbed already.  They know how this goes.
Justin Zimmer too busy making plays to be mouthing off about vaccinations.

Gabriel Davis and Cole Beasley are very different players.  I think Gabriel Davis should be (and likely will be) a starter this season, but he and Beasley are not interchangeable.  They play vastly different roles in the offense.
Didn't Davis fill in when Beasley was hurt last year? Maybe I'm misremembering or thinking of Mackenzie...

Didn't Davis fill in when Beasley was hurt last year? Maybe I'm misremembering or thinking of Mackenzie...
I would say that Davis is a much more natural fill-in for John Brown, and filled in for Brown when he was hurt for much of last year.  McKenzie is probably a more direct replacement for Beasley, but is more of a gadget player and special teamer rather than a pure slot WR.

I'm not entirely sure how Emmanuel Sanders fits in here, too.

Davis had a very promising rookie year, but I'm in the same boat as @Steve Tasker -- most of the plays I remember from Davis (biased, because of course we remember the big ones) were mostly either along the sidelines or at the very back of the end zone.  Not really out of the slot.  Obviously you can move receivers around, but I think most of us are seeing Davis as an outside guy.

We all aspire to be different things, but I think I would rather be The Faust of the PSF than The Nutty Professor.  :yes:
Your reading comprehension is down once again. He put it in quotes because you dubbed yourself that back a while ago, and people hooted and hollered because of your utility vs. Faust's in the SP. I won't ruin the inevitable conclusion, but one has a high utility, the other a low utility in their posting. 

HTH. 

Your reading comprehension is down once again. He put it in quotes because you dubbed yourself that back a while ago, and people hooted and hollered because of your utility vs. Faust's in the SP. I won't ruin the inevitable conclusion, but one has a high utility, the other a low utility in their posting. 

HTH. 

No, I never dubbed myself that. I never said that I was "The Faust of the PSF."  I said my tweets containing links to news items were similar to and no different than Faust's links to news items in the SP. 

No, I never dubbed myself that. I never said that I was "The Faust of the PSF."  I said my tweets containing links to news items were similar to and no different than Faust's links to news items in the SP. 
I guess I could make this up, but I really wouldn't want to.  :lmao:

I would say that Davis is a much more natural fill-in for John Brown, and filled in for Brown when he was hurt for much of last year.  McKenzie is probably a more direct replacement for Beasley, but is more of a gadget player and special teamer rather than a pure slot WR.

I'm not entirely sure how Emmanuel Sanders fits in here, too.
Ah, I could be remembering when he filled in for Brown. I just know Davis was an unexpected fantasy diamond for me one week. :lmao:  

IvanKaramazov said:
:lmao:

there is a new leader in

the clubhouse for the psf post of the year

Were they they only two in close contact?  Do vaccinated players in close contact have to quarantine if they come in close contact with a positive case?
Answer to your first question: No, they were not the only 2. Star, Matt Milano, and AJ Klein also got sent home so they were all also close contacts.

Answer to second question: only those who are not vaccinated are sent home if they test negative after being in close contact to someone who tests positive. If they had been fully vaccinated, they would just be tested more often but be allowed to stay and continue practicing. So there are likely other guys who were in close contact but are fully vaccinated and tested negative so they can stay and continue on as normal.

Answer to your first question: No, they were not the only 2. Star, Matt Milano, and AJ Klein also got sent home so they were all also close contacts.

Answer to second question: only those who are not vaccinated are sent home if they test negative after being in close contact to someone who tests positive. If they had been fully vaccinated, they would just be tested more often but be allowed to stay and continue practicing. So there are likely other guys who were in close contact but are fully vaccinated and tested negative so they can stay and continue on as normal.
Thanks for the info.  Are the other three unvaccinated as well?  Do you know if the staffer was vaccinated?

I don't think this follows the science. It can take up to 5 days for symptoms for close contacts to test positive. A negative test the day after exposure doesn't guarantee you don't have covid.  Vaccinated players can still spread that same strain if they don't quarantine.  How does this make practical sense?

Thanks for the info.  Are the other three unvaccinated as well?  Do you know if the staffer was vaccinated?

I don't think this follows the science. It can take up to 5 days for symptoms for close contacts to test positive. A negative test the day after exposure doesn't guarantee you don't have covid.  Vaccinated players can still spread that same strain if they don't quarantine.  How does this make practical sense?
If a player was sent home, it means he either tested positive or is unvaccinated and was a close contact with someone who tested positive. The trainer is reportedly fully vaccinated.

Star, Beasley and Davis sent home because of positive vaccinated trainer

Klein and Milano also sent home for same reason

If a player was sent home, it means he either tested positive or is unvaccinated and was a close contact with someone who tested positive. The trainer is reportedly fully vaccinated.

Star, Beasley and Davis sent home because of positive vaccinated trainer

Klein and Milano also sent home for same reason
Thanks. So it sounds like they were all unvaccinated since they said everyone had a negative test.

I didn't see Star's result and some are mentioning how odd it would be if he is unvaccinated after sitting out last season for covid precautions.

Thanks. So it sounds like they were all unvaccinated since they said everyone had a negative test.

I didn't see Star's result and some are mentioning how odd it would be if he is unvaccinated after sitting out last season for covid precautions.
The Star thing surprised me as well and frustrated me at first. But someone on the Bills Reddit page pointed out that Star has a known heart issue: Link

Maybe his cardiologist suggested he not get the vaccine because of the potential side effects? Seems crazy knowing the impact of Covid on hearts, but I’m not his doctor so I don’t know what has or has not been said/determined. 

The Star thing surprised me as well and frustrated me at first. But someone on the Bills Reddit page pointed out that Star has a known heart issue: Link

Maybe his cardiologist suggested he not get the vaccine because of the potential side effects? Seems crazy knowing the impact of Covid on hearts, but I’m not his doctor so I don’t know what has or has not been said/determined. 
Yeah, it make sense.  Star is a big fella too.  The Bills have some big names not vaccinated. 

Yeah, it make sense.  Star is a big fella too.  The Bills have some big names not vaccinated. 
At least 1, if not both starting safeties.  Plus, you know, a potential MVP-caliber player with a 6-year $258 million contract who hasn't said a word one way or another about Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread