What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (1 Viewer)

DK Metcalf (knee) is practicing Monday.

Coach Pete Carroll said Metcalf had a "fantastic recovery" from his knee scope two weeks ago, and he's expected to play in the Week 1 opener against the Bengals barring a setback. Metcalf and re-signed Jaron Brown are expected to occupy the outside spots in Seattle's offense with Tyler Lockett manning the slot. Metcalf doesn't have a ton of redraft value at the moment, but he certainly needs to be owned in most leagues while we wait and see how targets shake out.

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter

Sep 2, 2019, 7:09 PM ET

nobody claimed hes "on his way to stardom". 
I think he could be on his way to stardom.  DK looks like he could be a dominant deep threat receiver.  He has little competition for targets.  Russell has the mobility to extend plays to allow DK to get deep.  Russell Wilson might be the best long ball thrower in the league.  The Seahawks ran the ball a lot last year but they could easily go back to throwing it more.  Even with leading the league in percentage of rushing plays, Wilson still had 35 passing touchdowns with a mediocre receiving crew.  DK could not have asked for a better team to land on than the Seahawks.  I won't be at all surprised if DK gets 12 touchdowns this season if he stays healthy.  Obviously, staying healthy is a big hurdle for him.  DK probably won't get more than 60 or 70 receptions due to mostly being a deep threat so his fantasy ceiling might be wr2.  But in real football, I think he can be a star.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he could be on his way to stardom.  DK looks like he could be a dominant deep threat receiver.  He has little competition for targets.  Russell has the mobility to extend plays to allow DK to get deep.  Russell Wilson might be the best long ball thrower in the league.  The Seahawks ran the ball a lot last year but they could easily go back to throwing it more.  Even with leading the league in percentage of rushing plays, Wilson still had 35 passing touchdowns with a mediocre receiving crew.  DK could not have asked for a better team to land on than the Seahawks.  I won't be at all surprised if DK gets 12 touchdowns this season if he stays healthy.  Obviously, staying healthy is a big hurdle for him.  DK probably won't get more than 60 or 70 receptions due to mostly being a deep threat so his fantasy ceiling might be wr2.  But in real football, I think he can be a star.
I have no doubt he is on his way to stardom, no need for guarded optimism. No other player has had the TC buzz of DK, and no other player is the physical specimen. To go along with the freakishness, he apparently has the right mentality and dedication to be great. Injuries are the only thing which could stand in his way.

In three seasons against college competition DK had 14 TDs; and you think it wouldn't be a surprise if he got 12?  He may turn out to be a quality NFL player, but I don't quite understand this degree of optimism.

az_prof said:
In three seasons against college competition DK had 14 TDs; and you think it wouldn't be a surprise if he got 12?  He may turn out to be a quality NFL player, but I don't quite understand this degree of optimism.
This type of statement has been thrown around a lot at various points in this thread. You do realize that he only played 21 games in college right? His first year he only played 2 games due to a broken foot and in his third year he played 7 games before he broke his neck. So he had 14 TDs in 21 games, a rate of .66 TDs per game with subpar QB play over those 21 games. That TD rate over 16 games would be 10.56 TDs, granted the NFL is different but he has an elite QB, 12 could be possible. I'm not calling for it by any means but the opportunity is there.

This type of statement has been thrown around a lot at various points in this thread. You do realize that he only played 21 games in college right? His first year he only played 2 games due to a broken foot and in his third year he played 7 games before he broke his neck. So he had 14 TDs in 21 games, a rate of .66 TDs per game with subpar QB play over those 21 games. That TD rate over 16 games would be 10.56 TDs, granted the NFL is different but he has an elite QB, 12 could be possible. I'm not calling for it by any means but the opportunity is there.
You're overlooking one giant red flag here

You're overlooking one giant red flag here
Taking a guess and saying that the red flag is the 21 games played. Unless he has brittle bone disease, I’m not calling him injury prone for breaking bones in opposite ends of his body. Neck injury is generally concerning but it has not been a limiting factor for him in camp or preseason. If all that isn’t what you are referring to then please enlighten me.

Taking a guess and saying that the red flag is the 21 games played. Unless he has brittle bone disease, I’m not calling him injury prone for breaking bones in opposite ends of his body. Neck injury is generally concerning but it has not been a limiting factor for him in camp or preseason. If all that isn’t what you are referring to then please enlighten me.
he was doing great.... then he broke a bone

the next year he was doing great.... then he broke a bone

this summer he was doing great.... then he needed knee surgery

fyi, theres many other things that can cause those kinds of injuries than brittle bone diseases, but I'll stop there.

I agree, his potential is huge, but I dont think he will stay healthy enough to achieve it 

fyi, theres many other things that can cause those kinds of injuries than brittle bone diseases, but I'll stop there
You’ve been insinuating that he’s all roided up all summer, you don’t need to play coy. 

How many piss tests does he need to take before you believe he’s clean?  League policy is immediate 4-game suspension on first offense, so it’s not like weed where the first we hear about it is after the 3rd or 4th failed test. 

Plus he's now a starting WR playing with Russell Wilson. I don't expect 12 TDs either but it wouldn't be shocking.

You’ve been insinuating that he’s all roided up all summer, you don’t need to play coy. 

How many piss tests does he need to take before you believe he’s clean?  League policy is immediate 4-game suspension on first offense, so it’s not like weed where the first we hear about it is after the 3rd or 4th failed test. 
It's pretty disgusting what he's done on the subject. I doubt he'd be willing to engage in libel if he was using his real name since he's supposedly a doctor.

I'm not talking about steroids. unfair for you to assume. but to he clear, I'm talking about medical dx

How about this one from the JJAW thread:

Hes the real deal. Like a ightly slower Metcalf without the steroids and injuries.

Spin that one. 
it's a half true joke. Looks like roids hits a nerve with the DK crowd.

If you ask me my personal opinion, it's not natural. Probably not steroids, but also unnatural. Both can be true. 

However, when I was talking about what conditions could result in injuries such as what hes experienced, I was not referencing steroids. If you cant except that then that's not my issue. 

Anybody doing projections on DK? It doesn't seem Wilson has much there outside of Lockett, and he isn't exactly a world beater.

Do people here really think DK hasn't taken performance enhancing drugs?  And I'm from the government and I'm here to help you, the check is in the mail, and I promise I won't come in your mouth this time.  No, I promise, I won't.  Really, I swear to God, I won't.

So a WR3-4 at best? What are the chances (%?) that Russ makes this kid into a surprise WR2 with his beautiful deep ball bombs?
He’s a raw rookie that has not refined his route running skills (and maybe never will). He’s a physical specimen and his size/speed combo is practically unheard of so he should be a weapon in the deep passing game. I leave some room for upside in my projections, but I also don’t want to get too crazy over physical traits when there’s much more to being an NFL WR. 

He will have some up and down weeks but a few of this up weeks could be week winning production.

More like 45-650-7. The dude drops a lot of balls, bad hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I drafted him, I would just like to see 16 games out of him. If he gets in 16 games, he should have solid #s.

DK Metcalf (knee) is practicing Wednesday.

Metcalf's been available at every practice to start the week and appears ready to go for Sunday. Even so, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said "wait and see" on the rookie's snap count. There's really no need for Metcalf to get a full helping of offensive snaps, but he'll undoubtedly have his fair share of opportunities to make splash plays both over the top of Cincinnati's secondary and in the red zone. Still, he's a risky FLEX play in his first game back from a knee scope.

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter

Sep 4, 2019, 3:54 PM ET

He’s a raw rookie that has not refined his route running skills (and maybe never will). He’s a physical specimen and his size/speed combo is practically unheard of so he should be a weapon in the deep passing game. I leave some room for upside in my projections, but I also don’t want to get too crazy over physical traits when there’s much more to being an NFL WR. 

He will have some up and down weeks but a few of this up weeks could be week winning production.
Agree. I’ve seen people compare him to T.O.   He is no where near that level of talent.  Well, at least not yet.  

I took a flyer on him with my last pick.  If he stays healthy he’ll outproduce that ADP by 8 rounds.  

Man, it was so hard to drop Coutee and keep him. Having Fuller and Lockett, I felt the path of Metcalf was a bit more solid. Hoping he balls out!

DK Metcalf (knee scope) has proclaimed himself 100 percent healthy.

Metcalf said he will be ready for whatever reps the coaching staff throws at him in Sunday's opener against the Bengals. Coach Pete Carroll always claimed Metcalf's recovery from his mid-August operation would be quick, and he actually turned out to be right this time. The Seahawks have vanishingly-little proven receiver depth behind Tyler Lockett, but Metcalf is still little more than a WR5 dart throw to begin the season.

Sep 5, 2019, 4:45 PM ET

I have no doubt he is on his way to stardom, no need for guarded optimism. No other player has had the TC buzz of DK, and no other player is the physical specimen. To go along with the freakishness, he apparently has the right mentality and dedication to be great. Injuries are the only thing which could stand in his way.

ftr i was talking about zay jones (sorry for the derail) when i said "nobody said hes on his way to stardom".

DK Metcalf (knee) left off the injury report ahead of Week 1 against the Bengals.

Metcalf is "100 percent" after undergoing a minor procedure in August. The Seahawks' are notoriously optimistic with their injured players, but Metcalf will make his debut on Sunday. Metcalf only needs one big play to have a top-36 receiver week, though it's likely best to take a wait-and-see approach even in a good home matchup.

Sep 6, 2019, 4:11 PM ET

Really promising start.

@BradyHenderson

Chris Carson punches it in from a yard out. TD was set up by DK Metcalf drawing a DPI penalty on a corner route in the end zone. That came after two catches on slant routes. A lot more to his game than just go routes.

Looks like Metcalf will in many starting lineups sooner rather than later. 

Glad I cuffed Lockett with Metcalf. 

DK Metcalf caught 4-of-6 targets for 89 yards in the Seahawks' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Metcalf was as good as advertised in his NFL debut. He used his size and elite straight-line athleticism to haul in two deep balls where he had to go up and snag the ball in traffic. What wasn't expected was Metcalf finishing with four more targets than Tyler Lockett, who had a long grab himself. The Seahawks' run-first attitude will make Metcalf a boom-or-bust fantasy receiver, but it's easy to see the upside he possesses as a WR4. Next week's matchup with the Steelers on the road will be a tough one.

Sep 8, 2019, 8:11 PM ET

I think he might become a fixture in my lineup moving forward as my wr3 or flex.  Maybe supplanting Curtis Samuel.  I really liked what I saw today.  Wilson was clearly looking for him and he delivered.  

Surprised there is not a little more chatter on this guy after week one, especially with all of the varying opinions this offseason. I was concerned about his route running but with his size I think he can thrive off fewer routes for now. Slants he can use his big body to easily present a target and deep patterns he only needs a step to be open with his long arms and size. Helps that Wilson is a phenomenal deep thrower and his extended play ability will create some great opportunities (already DK won on a scramble drill type of play in week one). Most important to his development is he has appeared to win the trust of Wilson already. Hope that he can stay healthy as he seems like one of those special athletes that are fun to watch on Sunday’s. 

Watched all of his catches (no, I didn't "watch tape" or All-22) and he looked good. Basic slant patterns, one fly, and a busted play that was alluded to by King Of The Jungle upthread. All in all, he looked good, IMHO.

Until he gets hurt he’ll be decent. Probably have a blow up game mixed in with some duds.. Russ throws a great deep ball so have to figure he’ll connect on a long TD or 2 in a game.

Users who are viewing this thread