What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

It’s amusing that the folks I have on ignore are still obsessing about me a month later. Living in their heads rent free. :pickle:
Sauce I again try to engage in a value discussion about Gabriel Davis and you’re turning it personal.
Il try again, how many firsts would it take to get Davis from you?
It would depend on the 1sts.
This was an obvious spot to start him today being healthy and some other WRs out like McKenzie and crowder.
I expect inconsistent points......but I expect points
Alright, let’s go 2023 1sts. Would you give him up for an early 1st? Mid? Late? 2?
2023 has been hyped up so good class to compare to.
I think id trade him for a basically guaranteed top 4 pick.

I would NOT trade him for a 2023 1st that looks to be from a playoff team.

It's a tricky move. He's very young and helping me win
I would not - and kindly quote only the person you’re replying to. I blocked those two for very good reason.

It’s amusing that the folks I have on ignore are still obsessing about me a month later. Living in their heads rent free. :pickle:
Sauce I again try to engage in a value discussion about Gabriel Davis and you’re turning it personal.
This was an obvious spot to start him today being healthy and some other WRs out like McKenzie and crowder.
Alright, let’s go 2023 1sts. Would you give him up for an early 1st? Mid? Late? 2?
I wouldn't. He's an already proven player, and looks to be a sure fire future stud on maybe the best offense in the game. In a couple years Diggs will probably be gone and Davis will still be playing and the rest of this offense that seems to keep replenishing itself.
Proven to be what? Where would you rank him as a player. I see a lot of upside, but I wouldn’t call him proven myself. I tried to obtain him for cheap after the first 4 weeks, but to no avail.

Proven to be what?
Even counting his last two games where he was presumably pretty nicked up his stat line over the past 17 games (which is roughly the same timeframe since he became a starter) is:

52 receptions for 1021 yards and 13 TDs.

For a QB I'd want to see a little bit more longevity, but for a WR those stats, spanning a couple separate seasons, are pretty convincing to me - not to mention the eye-test.

Proven to be what?
Even counting his last two games where he was presumably pretty nicked up his stat line over the past 17 games (which is roughly the same timeframe since he became a starter) is:

52 receptions for 1021 yards and 13 TDs.

For a QB I'd want to see a little bit more longevity, but for a WR those stats, spanning a couple separate seasons, are pretty convincing to me - not to mention the eye-test.
So for those stats, what would that be proven to....WR2/3? That is what I am getting at. The upside is 100% there. I am questioning your proven player comment. If you say he is a proven WR3 I am all aboard. If you say a WR1 I am questioning your post.

Lets do this for 2024 if you don't mind. For me I would trade 2 2024 picks for him if I didn't think they were very early. OR 1 late 2023 and 1 mid 2024 pick

So for those stats, what would that be proven to....WR2/3? That is what I am getting at. The upside is 100% there. I am questioning your proven player comment. If you say he is a proven WR3 I am all aboard. If you say a WR1 I am questioning your post.
For me, "proven" means he has shown he can hang in the NFL and is above the "I'll roster him but I have no idea if/when I would ever start him" line that a lot of young players fall at or below.

Many 1st round rookie picks never make it in the big league.

For me, "proven" means he has shown he can hang in the NFL and is above the "I'll roster him but I have no idea if/when I would ever start him" line that a lot of young players fall at or below.

This. You can collect 1st rounders all you want and possibly end up spending them on Harry’s, Treadwells, Raegors. Yes, 1st round picks aren’t automatically spent on WRs but I’d say that Davis has at least proven himself in this league. If he’s fit, he’s going to score points consistently with the chance of going nuclear on any given week. By the end of this season we’ll have a very clear picture if he’s bordering into WR1 territory but he’s an incredibly useful start right now either way and has proven that he can play as a good player in this league which is more than can be said for plenty of other 1st round rookies

This. You can collect 1st rounders all you want and possibly end up spending them on Harry’s, Treadwells, Raegors. Yes, 1st round picks aren’t automatically spent on WRs but I’d say that Davis has at least proven himself in this league. If he’s fit, he’s going to score points consistently with the chance of going nuclear on any given week. By the end of this season we’ll have a very clear picture if he’s bordering into WR1 territory but he’s an incredibly useful start right now either way
A couple of WRs next year are JSN from Ohio state and Boutte from LSU. I would with a doubt prefer JSN, but unsure if I would prefer Boutte over Davis. I like the offense Davis is in, but want to see more consistency.
As far as the RBs next year I have at least 2 ahead of Davis, that is how I got my wouldn’t trade top 3-4 next year for Davis.

. I like the offense Davis is in, but want to see more consistency.
He’s been pretty consistent in games where he’s been healthy. You seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the game he missed and the game he wasn’t fully recovered - mostly because you’re trying to “gotcha” another board member you do not like.

Hopefully we can be more realistic in evaluating the player and the situation without the “hidden” sub-context of a board feud coloring the conversation.

. I like the offense Davis is in, but want to see more consistency.
He’s been pretty consistent in games where he’s been healthy. You seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the game he missed and the game he wasn’t fully recovered - mostly because you’re trying to “gotcha” another board member you do not like.

Hopefully we can be more realistic in evaluating the player and the situation without the “hidden” sub-context of a board feud coloring the conversation.
I am not gotcha anybody. I have been engaged in getting other peoples value of Davis. There is last season too. If you read my posts I repeatedly said let’s see what happens when he is healthy this year. There is no hidden agenda with me asking about his value and providing my opinion on his value.

Since I asked, I will also put my value out there for him. Our league has bottom 6 in lottery so any non lottery pick I would trade for him.
Owning him I would hold out for any non top 3-4 pick in next years class.
I realize people are excited about long TDs but three receptions is concerning and that makes just eleven receptions over four games with one game missed. Four receptions, in the opener, has been his peak and that's after making three grabs early. That's a glimpse of a low floor. The Bills were missing Knox, Crowder and McKenzie (adding Shakir) so this matchup looked like one where plenty of targets might be had. There were shortened drives due to long scores and also game flow but I am concerned with usage, separation, etc. I own Davis in several formats. I get that people are pumped. One team has both Davis & Allen so the 98 yarder was huge. But, the Bills are deep and Davis is a good player in a great situation, not a can't miss star.

Since I asked, I will also put my value out there for him. Our league has bottom 6 in lottery so any non lottery pick I would trade for him.
I realize people are excited about long TDs but three receptions is concerning and that makes just eleven receptions over four games with one game missed. Four receptions, in the opener, has been his peak and that's after making three grabs early. That's a glimpse of a low floor. The Bills were missing Knox, Crowder and McKenzie (adding Shakir) so this matchup looked like one where plenty of targets might be had. There were shortened drives due to long scores and also game flow but I am concerned with usage, separation, etc. I own Davis in several formats. I get that people are pumped. One team has both Davis & Allen so the 98 yarder was huge. But, the Bills are deep and Davis is a good player in a great situation, not a can't miss star.
I don’t think he’ll have many games with double digit targets, and he isn’t catching another 98 yard TD and maybe not even another 67(?) - but part of his appeal was always big game potential in this offense. He’ll probably have some down games like his bad ankle game again as well. I don’t think it’s crazy to “sell high” if you really think you can take advantage of this last one. He will have a few more games like last week - albeit compiled differently - the rest of the way as well though.

I can't imagine trading him in a dynasty league. I mean, it was take a STOOOPID offer to move him.
I moved him in one league during the draft for an early 2nd that turned into Pickens. Very happy with that. Looking to move him in another league. None of my leagues are best ball so will be happy to get him off my roster.

I can't imagine trading him in a dynasty league. I mean, it was take a STOOOPID offer to move him.
I moved him in one league during the draft for an early 2nd that turned into Pickens. Very happy with that. Looking to move him in another league. None of my leagues are best ball so will be happy to get him off my roster.
1 - Pickens looks great.
2 - You can't expect to get a great player in the second, let alone 1st round - it's a crap shoot.
3 - Pickens may be better than Davis, but Davis could be a far better FF player because he is on a top-notch offense and Pickens is on a rebuilding team.

I don’t think he’ll have many games with double digit targets, and he isn’t catching another 98 yard TD and maybe not even another 67(?) - but part of his appeal was always big game potential in this offense. He’ll probably have some down games like his bad ankle game again as well. I don’t think it’s crazy to “sell high” if you really think you can take advantage of this last one. He will have a few more games like last week - albeit compiled differently - the rest of the way as well though.
Hasn't exceeded six targets yet this season. I'd be happy with eight and thrilled with double digits. Of course, Diggs will command his share of targets, but the rest seem to get distributed through out. I temper the beat on Davis some as I see the potential low floor in addition to the high ceiling.

I won't move him this season unless someone game me an offer I couldn't refuse. Teams are in a win-now mode and I would be reluctant to give up a piece of the Bill's offense. There is way too much uncertainty around the rest of the league. The off-season will be a different story. Davis could make an interesting chip as we barter for 2023 draft position.

First, it’s hard to say. If their receiving corps is short due to injury as it was this week, he could be in line for more work. And also of course when it’s not a blowout like this week’s game was.

He did have 6 targets, which is still a little lower than ideal, but I imagine would be higher if the game were closer. That said, 6 x 17 = 102, which is right around the targets a few of us expected this year.

Second, as an aside, please do me a favor and only quote the person you’re responding to. I have that user on ignore for good reason. I don’t know why they continue to @ me. I only see it when others reply all. An unfortunate loophole with the multi-quote feature, as you know. Thanks.

1 - Pickens looks great.
2 - You can't expect to get a great player in the second, let alone 1st round - it's a crap shoot.
3 - Pickens may be better than Davis, but Davis could be a far better FF player because he is on a top-notch offense and Pickens is on a rebuilding team.
I wouldn’t trade Davis for Pickens. But that’s just me.

Hasn't exceeded six targets yet this season. I'd be happy with eight and thrilled with double digits. Of course,
You're missing the point. Yes, it would be far better for Davis if he saw double digit targets, but that was never very likely in this offense. Anyone that invested in Davis should have been doing so for his big play ability and his end-zone presence. Yesterday was obviously an anomaly in that he's not going to see many 98 yards TDs followed by a 64 yard TD on his first two catches - but it's hard to hold a lack of targets against him when he's eating up chunks of yardage like that on 2 plays - the offense comes off the field after those long TDs. Also the guy is two games removed from a bad ankle injury so it's possible once the Bills were up huge (that game was never in doubt) they pulled back on Davis a bit.

Yes, based on this offense there will be a few down weeks (But that's almost every WR in the league) - but there will also be many 2-3 TD weeks sprinkled in - and with his big play ability in this offense his floor is still pretty high on those down weeks.

Second, as an aside, please do me a favor and only quote the person you’re responding to. I have that user on ignore for good reason. I don’t know why they continue to @ me. I only see it when others reply all. An unfortunate loophole with the multi-quote feature, as you know. Thanks.

With the new board I do not see any posts by the one guy I have on ignore even when he is quoted (still blocks his part) - it's a beautiful thing.

1 - Pickens looks great.
Fair assessment.

I am curious what Gabriel Davis' value is, particularly in dynasty. He is likely tethered to Josh Allen for the foreseeable future, but Diggs is the WR1 on this team.

Among the 2022 class of WRs, where would you rank Gabriel Davis? Ahead of all of them? 2023 Picks?

If you are a Gabriel Davis owner, are you inclined to hang onto him? What is a fair offer for him?

If you are a Gabriel Davis suitor, what would you offer for him?

I have Davis on one of my dynasty teams, and I am open to reasonable offers. We are at a sell-high window, but I don't think it is a small window by any means.

Among the 2022 class of WRs, where would you rank Gabriel Davis? Ahead of all of them? 2023 Picks?

Garrett Wilson

Olave

That’s it. And I’m a maybe on Wilson
If you are a Gabriel Davis owner, are you inclined to hang onto him? What is a fair offer for him?
Yes.

I would need multiple 2023 1sts, with one being early.

In the preseason I gave James Robinson + David Bell + a 2023 4th for him. PPR SF IDP (so later draft picks are a little more valuable)

At first when Davis was hurt & Robinson was blowing up it looked like I blew it. Now Robinson seems to be ceding touches to a more effective ETN, and Davis did what he just did - feeling much better about it.

I would not offer multiple 1sts, one being early for him. I don’t like buying high. Or sober for that matter (haha)

I reached early for Davis because I was really high on him and drafted him as my WR2 in most leagues ....I just had to have him so went maybe a round or more ahead of where his ADP was dictating because I just thought there might be another owner in all of my leagues that felt the same way as I did......

IMO I think he fits in perfectly as a WR3 in start 3 WR leagues or a flex play....if he poops the bed some weeks, you can maybe still survive with the other guys you are starting....but when he "hits" from those spots, you are probably almost guaranteed a dub....

Hasn't exceeded six targets yet this season. I'd be happy with eight and thrilled with double digits. Of course,
You're missing the point. Yes, it would be far better for Davis if he saw double digit targets, but that was never very likely in this offense. Anyone that invested in Davis should have been doing so for his big play ability and his end-zone presence. Yesterday was obviously an anomaly in that he's not going to see many 98 yards TDs followed by a 64 yard TD on his first two catches - but it's hard to hold a lack of targets against him when he's eating up chunks of yardage like that on 2 plays - the offense comes off the field after those long TDs. Also the guy is two games removed from a bad ankle injury so it's possible once the Bills were up huge (that game was never in doubt) they pulled back on Davis a bit.

Yes, based on this offense there will be a few down weeks (But that's almost every WR in the league) - but there will also be many 2-3 TD weeks sprinkled in - and with his big play ability in this offense his floor is still pretty high on those down weeks.
Chunk plays, like TDs, can be hard to reproduce. Many 2-3 TD weeks? Time will tell.

Not sure what point you think I've missed but my earlier posts acknowledged the impact of short drives and game flow. I've also noticed long stretches, such as week one, where Davis wasn't targeted. Also, you mentioned double digits first... my target was eight. In any event, I'd be more confident in his floor if he was in the 6-8 range rather than 4-6.... I think we can agree that he has some boom or bust qualities about him and this season should be quite a ride.

1 - Pickens looks great.
Fair assessment.

I am curious what Gabriel Davis' value is, particularly in dynasty. He is likely tethered to Josh Allen for the foreseeable future, but Diggs is the WR1 on this team.

I have Davis on one of my dynasty teams, and I am open to reasonable offers. We are at a sell-high window, but I don't think it is a small window by any means.
As stated earlier, as a competitive team, I intend to use Davis this season. On my teams, he is either a WR3 or flex and is very valuable in that role. Moving him would be a step back.

At just 23 years of age, he is a likely a hold even If I were rebuilding. However, I would entertain offers of future picks from someone who feels Davis might help them over the top this season. I'm looking for an over-pay in this scenario.

I almost moved Mahomes/Davis for Herbert/Waddle last August. Other owner had doubts about Mahomes without Hill and would not swap Waddle for Davis, which I would have done.

There is long term and short term value. Opportunity is everything in the short run. I prefer talent over the long haul. This season, in a keeper league with positional restrictions, I drafted Pickens and Jameson Williams, in part, to provide alternatives to Davis as a 2023 keeper. In the short term, Davis is the better asset. We might see things differently next fall.

2023 is a much hyped class. We'll know a lot more about relative values after landing spots are determined. I would strongly consider moving Davis to be in position to draft a blue chip RB (positional scarcity) or WR prospect. Davis will only be 24 but I've kept most of my teams very young by transitioning to players 2-3 years younger.

For those that don’t read the Bills thread…this is too sick not to share

From the article below. This is insane…

“I’m not exaggerating when I say that an Allen-to-Davis post route might be the most effective play in the history of ball. The duo has been perfect on those plays, going 9-for-9 for 426 yards and four touchdowns. That’s 47 yards per throw.”

Matchup

“I’m not exaggerating when I say that an Allen-to-Davis post route might be the most effective play in the history of ball. The duo has been perfect on those plays, going 9-for-9 for 426 yards and four touchdowns. That’s 47 yards per throw.”

Matchup
Biggest jinx post ever. I'll bet anyone anything they dont complete the next one, or maybe ten

Matchup
Biggest jinx post ever. I'll bet anyone anything they dont complete the next one, or maybe ten
While hitting the post button I was knocking on wood clenching my rabbit’s foot. I just blew a wish on a stray eyelash but I will go find a wishing well and look for shooting stars tonight to be safe 🧞‍♂️

Matchup
Except you just double-reversed the jinx. Now it’s assured he’ll get 6 in the next outing.

Sheesh. It’s like y’all don’t know how jinxes work around here.

Last edited:
In my longest running FF league, I am basically forced to bench him. Who would you start him over?

Jefferson lol
Metcalf
Evans

I think we can all agree he isn't going for 200 and 4 TDs. But let's come at this from a different angle. Do we really expect the Chiefs Bills to score less than 80 between them? This is like Ali Frazier II here.

I can't possibly bench Davis here. I can't possibly start Davis over Evans or Metcalf. Fubar

In my longest running FF league, I am basically forced to bench him. Who would you start him over?

Jefferson lol
Metcalf
Evans

I think we can all agree he isn't going for 200 and 4 TDs. But let's come at this from a different angle. Do we really expect the Chiefs Bills to score less than 80 between them? This is like Ali Frazier II here.

I can't possibly bench Davis here. I can't possibly start Davis over Evans or Metcalf. Fubar

Traded Gabe to get Metcalf this week. Feel you. IF Gabe ascends to Bills WR1, I lose. Anything else besides that scenario and I am betting that I win. Luv Gabe and DK. Trades are fun.

This was me last week with too many good options at flex. So I went with Stevenson, which worked out well. But with Higgins 0 and Davis’ 38+ on my bench, I lost a totally winnable game

Good luck with Metcalf tomorrow. I might bench Evans for Davis if I had that choice. I don’t expect that TB game to be competitive.

This was me last week with too many good options at flex. So I went with Stevenson, which worked out well. But with Higgins 0 and Davis’ 38+ on my bench, I lost a totally winnable game

Good luck with Metcalf tomorrow. I might bench Evans for Davis if I had that choice. I don’t expect that TB game to be competitive.
Because of all the points TB scores without Evans being involved in it? No I hear you. Hard to believe KC Buf not being competitive.

In a similar position, on the bench for Jefferson, M Williams and A Cooper.

Cooper is the one that I am really debating! This is why I like having many teams as I don’t really fret too much on decisions like this as Davis is in 6 other lineups.

Isn’t this fun!

YOU benched Davis?!?!?

You are his biggest cheerleader in here.

I was going against Josh Allen and only won because of Davis.

YOU benched Davis?!?!?

You are his biggest cheerleader in here.

I was going against Josh Allen and only won because of Davis.
He is my fourth wide receiver behind Justin Jefferson, tee Higgins, and Sutton. At the time, he was coming off of to disappointing weeks. One where he did not play and the other where he barely played. Meanwhile, behind Barkley and AJ Dillon I had Stevenson.

As a flex play, it just made the most sense to slot in Stevenson.

At the time I had no idea tee Higgins was going to put up a zero. Context matters and hindsight is 20/20. Stevenson actually put up about 25 points, so it was really tee Higgins I should have benched.

ETA: I started Davis in two leagues where I did not have other options. Sometimes having too many good players is a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread