What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

California - alcohol can be sold (stores or bars) until 2 AM.

Also, the NFL has a toll free number for a free ride for the players and coaches in every city they are in to try to eliminate this issue.  All personnel are given this number...unfortunately too many are foolish and do not use it.

Wow, between injuries and stuff like this it's really making me question playing dynasty. I'm really thinking of calling it quits in the offseason.

damn.  I'm bad luck. Had Ridley and Ruggs.  

Crazy how desensitized we've become to deadly DUI's, aka "stuff like this". 

No offense to you in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today in Miami Beach, voters are deciding whether the last call should be 2am instead of 5am. IMO, it's a feel-good measure that won't reduce crime or the raucous behavior seen during Spring break and beyond.  DUI isn't even in the discussion. I'm guessing that MADD, DUI laws, lawsuits, ubers and such have had the biggest impact on drunk driving fatalities.

There are still way to many DUI fatalities. Ruggs dedicating the rest of his life to educating and warning others about the dangers of DUI could have an impact. 

>>Miami Beach voters are being asked to stop alcohol sales at 2 a.m. instead of 5 a.m. Proponents of the measure backed by Mayor Dan Gelber link the three-hour rollback with stopping crime and chaos on South Beach.<<

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/10/18/money-plays-a-big-part-audio-reveals-miami-beach-mayor-developers-planning-re-do-of-ocean-drive/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1789026

1998 - Rams DE Leonard Little > He was suspended for the first eight games of the 1999 season
after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in a June 1998
crash that killed Susan Gutweiler of Oakville. Little was sentenced
to 90 days in the city workhouse and four years of probation, as
well as ordered to perform 1,000 hours of community service.

The accident occurred after a night of celebrating on Little's
24th birthday. A blood test showed Little had a blood-alcohol level
of .19, nearly twice the legal limit of .10 at that time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different times now. Ruggs probably won't get off as easy.
The bolded part.  1998 wasn't a social media/scrutiny era, and sportsballers got away with so much more
Also, Little's accident occurred in June, ie the offseason. With Ruggs, they will be under pressure to do something before Sunday. I could definitely see him being released, or possibly placed on the commissioner's exempt list.

Sad story, but you can't cut the guy until they've proven he was intoxicated.  It's one thing for the onsite officer to say he was, and he likely was given what is in the story.  But you can't cut a guy off evidence that hasn't been proven either visually or in court.  I mean Ray Rice, you could see the video.  This is why Watson is still on HOU.  They'd be cutting him for accusations.  I could see them placing Ruggs on the commish list of not playing him until the evidence is fully known.  And where there is smoke there is usually fire.   But you have to let the evidence play out, even if it's only for a day to see the BAC results.  I think that's the same thing KC did with Reid's kid.  

So, in light of these developments, does this move Hunter Renfrow into the weekly "must start" category?

He's already a good ppr play, but even in non-ppr one would think that he becomes a weekly WR2ish type, no? 

Yes, Edwards is still around and obviously has some talent, but has not shown any consistency. So, how much are you guys moving Renfrow up, if at all?

There is absolutely no excuse for Ruggs...he's a millionaire that can afford an uber/taxi or have a driver ride him around for Pete's sake. :sadbanana:  
Most NFL teams have a complimentary ride service for all players 24/7.

The NFLPA has a ride service as well for only $90 anywhere in the USofA.

there is no excuse to be driving drunk in vegas of all places

It’s clear he should have taken an Uber/taxi, but from the pics you can tell that he was flying. Probably wanted to open up his Vette and see what it could do. SMH

RIP to the victim and family. 
This.  Rainbow is a wide open 3/4 lane road in each direction and at 3:45 in the morning there is almost 0 traffic in that part of Vegas, This isn't the strip, downtown we're talking about.  Having some drinks and seeing a wide open road with no traffic I'm guessing he wanted to see what the car could do, show off for his girl who knows.  No excuse for Ruggs to drive drunk and do this and he needs to pay dearly.

So, in light of these developments, does this move Hunter Renfrow into the weekly "must start" category?

He's already a good ppr play, but even in non-ppr one would think that he becomes a weekly WR2ish type, no? 

Yes, Edwards is still around and obviously has some talent, but has not shown any consistency. So, how much are you guys moving Renfrow up, if at all?
LVR WR drunk driving and kills a person.... 

Move Renfrow to a "must start" in all formats.

Sheesh

This is terrible news. He'll likely see jail time. I can't imagine he won't. He took somebody's life. It's a shame and grievous all at once. RIP to the victim and condolences to the family of the victim. I hope everybody else recovers and is safe. 

Yeah but he was drunk at 3 in the morning...where I live as an example, bars tend to close by 9-10, you gotta search to find something open later, that's not an issue in Vegas where you can drink all day and night. The city/strip is 24/7 we can all agree on this? He's said to have been there or in that area, yes/no? 

I'm not pinning it on the city, the people who live there, local officials, I'm just stating the obvious that there is a lot to do all night long on the Strip and it's a VACATION DESTINATION, let's not sugarcoat it. It's an adult playground where anything goes and people can forget where they are after a few drinks, I've been there many times and can't remember quite a lot of it. 

I feel bad for all those involved in this horrific accident. It's a shame because it's going to impact not just the victim and immediate family, not just Ruggs and his family but also the Raiders' fans who lose out and I understand the fans are a distant 3rd on this list. 
Buddy you’ve lived in Tampa. Bars close at 2 or 3 here. What are you talking about.

Nevada is 2-20 for DUI with death and it's real years, you got to serve 8 years before you are eligible for parole.

NFL and other outlets reporting that he has been released by the Las Vegas Raiders, I have erased and written a few times past that and its filled with dismay at what Ruggs could have been in the NFL. 

-Personally I called my son tonight, told him how much I love him and how proud I am that he doesn't run around doing these things. I went over our rules about drinking as he's now 22, we both have the Lyft apps and we are ready to call one for the other with no shame or questions, just get home safe and we'll talk tomorrow. 

-I wish I could go back in time to Monday night and get Henry a ride home, and I wish I could save the life of the person who was killed and likely leaves behind family. I wish we didn't have to read these stories involving players' bad behavior and decision making off the field but it happens.   

And there it is:

”Raiders waived WR Henry Ruggs.

Ruggs is facing a felony charge for driving under the influence in a collision resulting in the death of a 23-year-old woman, a Category B offense in the state of Nevada with a minimum of two years in state prison and a maximum of 20 years. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police are conducting an ongoing investigation. It's a stunning downfall for a 22-year-old 18 months removed from being the No. 12 overall pick of the draft. Ruggs has a long and winding legal odyssey of him before he can ever even think about playing football again. There is a strong chance this is the end of his NFL career”

i sit here with my morning coffee at what astounds me more...

that he was the first WR taken last year at 12, or that his career is already over, 18mos in?

fully expected to open the link and it just say "drop him."

A person died here. We tried to be as respectful as possible. That's disappointing if you think that of us. 

I realize we're an easy target. But what articles from Footballguys would make you say you "fully expected to open the link and it just say "drop him."'

A person died here. We tried to be as respectful as possible. That's disappointing if you think that of us. 

I realize we're an easy target. But what articles from Footballguys would make you say you "fully expected to open the link and it just say "drop him."'

wasn't a shot at your website or the articles provided. 

Was a "shot" at the player, in that there is nothing to discuss aside from dropping him. his career is over. he's ruined his life (and that of others) via selfish actions

Horrific situation. 

Our Drew Davenport is an attorney and here's a look at the legal situation for now. 

https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-henry-ruggs-legal-situation

It's obviously a tragic situation. Everyone please be respectful. 
I read it. Let's say the police didn't get evidence to prove he was intoxicated, he still has a felony reckless driving charge. He was allegedly driving at a high rate of speed, and there is evidence at the scene, witness statements, and surveillance video of the crash. There is also the gruesomeness of the accident. The car he hit was occupied by a woman and her dog, and they were trapped inside when it burst into flames, and they burned alive. He is in deep trouble. The Raiders released him.  

I read it. Let's say the police didn't get evidence to prove he was intoxicated, he still has a felony reckless driving charge. He was allegedly driving at a high rate of speed, and there is evidence at the scene, witness statements, and surveillance video of the crash. There is also the gruesomeness of the accident. The car he hit was occupied by a woman and her dog, and they were trapped inside when it burst into flames, and they burned alive. He is in deep trouble. The Raiders released him.  
Ugh, that’s horrific

I read it. Let's say the police didn't get evidence to prove he was intoxicated, he still has a felony reckless driving charge.
correct. 

but since he was admitted to the hospital with his injuries, a blood test is SOP upon admission. They need to determine if there will be any counteracting drugs / alcohol in his system if they have to administer any meds. It’s a safety protocol. 

so they definitely have evidence that he was intoxicated. They also observed that he was “impaired” at the scene. Legal limit is usually not enough BAC to appear impaired. .08 is like 2 beers for a 200 lb man. I could shotgun 2 beers and pass a field sobriety test, so this was clearly more than that. 

He was allegedly driving at a high rate of speed, and there is evidence at the scene, witness statements, and surveillance video of the crash. There is also the gruesomeness of the accident. The car he hit was occupied by a woman and her dog, and they were trapped inside when it burst into flames, and they burned alive. He is in deep trouble. 
Just horrific. If he gets more than 50% of the max I won’t be shocked. His career is over. 

ETA: not an attorney, but worked in healthcare, specifically pharmacy division for 12 years, so I know a little something about post-accident admission process. Blood test is SOP at every hospital I’ve ever heard of, and it’s a safety measure for the patient. 

A friend just sent me this text, “what’s really crappy is that at various stages, the bartender, his friends, or even the casual witnesses who reported seeing him drinking & then headed to his car could have intervened. But at the end, it was Ruggs choice to make and he chose poorly”.

I agree that there are others who could have intervened. But Ruggs is responsible for Ruggs. Unless he announced, “imma go out to my Vette & drive home”, it’s possible that none of them knew he was headed to his car. Vegas is well known for public transpo.

The gun adds time/conditions:

“NRS 202.257 prohibits anyone in Nevada from carrying or handling firearms while under the influence of drugs or alcohol or with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher. This offense is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.”

The gun adds time/conditions:

“NRS 202.257 prohibits anyone in Nevada from carrying or handling firearms while under the influence of drugs or alcohol or with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher. This offense is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.”

If it was in the glove compartment or the trunk, that shouldn't be considered "carrying or handling", correct?  The report just says that it was found in the car -somewhere-.

A friend just sent me this text, “what’s really crappy is that at various stages, the bartender, his friends, or even the casual witnesses who reported seeing him drinking & then headed to his car could have intervened. But at the end, it was Ruggs choice to make and he chose poorly”.

I agree that there are others who could have intervened. But Ruggs is responsible for Ruggs. Unless he announced, “imma go out to my Vette & drive home”, it’s possible that none of them knew he was headed to his car. Vegas is well known for public transpo.
And because it’s Henry Ruggs, they will look for the person who served him last.    Just a tragic story on many levels.

If it was in the glove compartment or the trunk, that shouldn't be considered "carrying or handling", correct?  The report just says that it was found in the car -somewhere-.
I believe it is “in possession of“. That means it could be anywhere in the car or on his person. 

Alcohol impairs judgement.  I worked in a bar in college and saw it everyday. In an impaired state Ruggs probably thought.."I am good"
It’s easy for a bunch of 50+ year old guys to call him an “idiot” or worse for driving drunk - and while he is those things I’m sure a lot of people made similarly poor decisions in our early 20s while under the influence. And sure he has millions but it’s not like we couldn’t have afforded $30 for a cab working a normal job.

I have much more sympathy for the woman and her family but I do have a bit of sympathy for a 21 year old kid that just destroyed his life as well and has to live with tons of guilt.

It’s easy for a bunch of 50+ year old guys to call him an “idiot” or worse for driving drunk - and while he is those things I’m sure a lot of people made similarly poor decisions in our early 20s while under the influence. And sure he has millions but it’s not like we couldn’t have afforded $30 for a cab working a normal job.

I have much more sympathy for the woman and her family but I do have a bit of sympathy for a 21 year old kid that just destroyed his life as well and has to live with tons of guilt.
While many of us may have made poor decisions, I have no sympathy for someone driving 156!

I have much more sympathy for the woman and her family
That's the extent of my sympathy right now. She isn't coming back, her family never gets to see or hear her again.

As for Ruggs feeling (or not feeling) guilt, that'll define who he is for the rest of his life. He gets that opportunity. He caused the crash, she didn't. He lived, she died. She gets no opportunity. Pretty simple.

That's the extent of my sympathy right now. She isn't coming back, her family never gets to see or hear her again.

As for Ruggs feeling (or not feeling) guilt, that'll define who he is for the rest of his life. He gets that opportunity. He caused the crash, she didn't. He lived, she died. She gets no opportunity. Pretty simple.
How about people against drunk driving? MADD made and continues to make a big difference, but more needs to be done. The NFL could play a role. Maybe Ruggs himself could play a role.

>>Every day, about 28 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 52 minutes. In 2019, these deaths reached the lowest percentage since 1982 when NHTSA started reporting alcohol data — but still 10,142 people lost their lives. These deaths were all preventable.<<

>>MADD’s Campaign To Eliminate Drunk Driving, launched in 2006, is the blueprint to end drunk driving. The Campaign supports high-visibility law enforcement, such as sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols, state laws requiring ignition interlocks for all drunk driving offenders, development of advanced vehicle technology and public support for these initiatives. Drunk driving deaths have decreased by 22 percent since the Campaign launched, but the past three years underscores that more must be done.<<

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

https://www.madd.org/press-release/new-nhtsa-numbers-show-drunk-driving-still-the-leading-cause-of-highway-deaths

Users who are viewing this thread