What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

That's the extent of my sympathy right now. She isn't coming back, her family never gets to see or hear her again.

As for Ruggs feeling (or not feeling) guilt, that'll define who he is for the rest of his life. He gets that opportunity. He caused the crash, she didn't. He lived, she died. She gets no opportunity. Pretty simple.
I get it. I'm not absolving him. I'm just saying people don't always make rational decisions when they are drunk - he deserves whatever penalty comes his way though, of course.

I'm impressed he is even alive after crashing a Corvette at 120+ mph.  The safety of modern cars really is astounding. 

I'm not a lawyer, but I read that he is facing 2-20 years for the DUI/reckless driving and he also potentially facing an illegal firearms charge too.  I would guess with the loaded gun he's looking at more than 2 years.  Sad situation all around.

I get it. I'm not absolving him. I'm just saying people don't always make rational decisions when they are drunk - he deserves whatever penalty comes his way though, of course.
Agree with you about bad decisions when drunk. In the future he may do things to redeem himself and perhaps I'll feel some sympathy for him then. Not now.

A friend just sent me this text, “what’s really crappy is that at various stages, the bartender, his friends, or even the casual witnesses who reported seeing him drinking & then headed to his car could have intervened. But at the end, it was Ruggs choice to make and he chose poorly”.

I agree that there are others who could have intervened. But Ruggs is responsible for Ruggs. Unless he announced, “imma go out to my Vette & drive home”, it’s possible that none of them knew he was headed to his car. Vegas is well known for public transpo.

About 2 years ago, a family was killed by a woman in her 40s a few blocks from where I live. She got plastered at a restaurant/bar downtown with a group of friends and none of them stopped her from driving home. They all have to live with those deaths, not just the woman driving. 

Not like driving drunk is smart but going over 150 mph on top of it? Throw in the loaded gun and it's hard for me to feel sorry for him at this point. And maybe I'm built different than other people but just because you're drunk doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing. Yeah, I've been drunk and pretty sure I could drive but I also knew that it was dumb and I didn't. Sometimes I feel like the statement that he was driving drunk is an excuse instead of the crime.

Last edited by a moderator:
T&P's to the family. How horrible.

Maybe the landscape and climate have changed, but Donte Stallworth got charged with DUI manslaughter, only served 30 days, was suspended from the NFL for a year, but came back and played three more seasons. 

Leonard Little also had a DUI and killed someone on his birthday . . . and he was incarcerated for 90 days and served an 8-game suspension from the league. He went on to play 11 more seasons. He also had another DUI and multiple harassment charges involving an ex . . . and the league didn't punish him at all for those.

The Ruggs situation seems even more serious and more tragic, and hopefully they treat it that way. Those other players deserved a much stiffer penalty than they received.

T&P's to the family. How horrible.

Maybe the landscape and climate have changed, but Donte Stallworth got charged with DUI manslaughter, only served 30 days, was suspended from the NFL for a year, but came back and played three more seasons. 

Leonard Little also had a DUI and killed someone on his birthday . . . and he was incarcerated for 90 days and served an 8-game suspension from the league. He went on to play 11 more seasons. He also had another DUI and multiple harassment charges involving an ex . . . and the league didn't punish him at all for those.

The Ruggs situation seems even more serious and more tragic, and hopefully they treat it that way. Those other players deserved a much stiffer penalty than they received.
A couple of key details/differences:

Stallworth was

• barely over the legal limit (residual from night before). Ruggs over 2x legal limit.

• traveling at speed limit, when dude stepped off the curb right in front of him. Ruggs was going 156 mph on a residential street

• not in possession of a firearm, though this is the least significant point. 

• Not charged with a class B felony as a result of his incident, which was deemed a horrible accident where alcohol was not a factor.  IMO even if Ruggs was sober he’d have been hit with felony reckless driving resulting in death. 

Not remotely the same, nor likely that Ruggs gets off as easily. 

They have drastically changed. I would not be surprised if Ruggs never plays another down in the NFL. 

I'd reverse that and say that I would be surprised if he ever played another down.  I've already cut him in the dynasty league that I owned him in.

Even if he does, I'll still be satisfied to have cut because I do not want any kind of "rooting interest" in him ever coming back to the NFL.

How in the name of physics can you rear end someone at 127 MPH...and live?

Assuming the car in front was traveling at 60 mph, the physics says it was the impact of 67 mph.  That's better than a head on crash at 35 mph for each car.  Assuming the bumpers contacted first, both cars were engineered to withstand some impact.  Lastly, the car in front wasn't a stationary object and once the force exceeded the capacity of the tires friction against the road, it would be pushed forward.  Odds of living are high if you aren't trapped and the car catches fire.

Pretty sure you’re saying the same thing. That tricky double negative of “I would not be surprised if he never”. ;)  
We may be saying the same. The double negative made it sound more like 50-50, so would not be surprised if never. Whereas, I’d put it around 90% likely that he never plays again.

So even without the gun charges, he's facing 26 years in prison - up to 20 (real time, no probation) for the felony DUI, and an additional 1-6 for reckless driving. He may also be charged with a 2nd DUI felony due to the significant arm injuries of his passenger. So once the gun charge is added, he could be facing 30+ years in prison, most of which would be without possibility of parole. 

This should be used as a teachable moment by parents everywhere about drunk driving. Ruggs went from millionaire at 22 to a life in ruins, and the lives of the victim & her dog, and injuries to the woman in his car (believed to be Kiara Je'nai Kilgo-Washington), all from 1 horribly stupid, irresponsible & ultimately deadly decision. 

Assuming the car in front was traveling at 60 mph, the physics says it was the impact of 67 mph.  That's better than a head on crash at 35 mph for each car.  Assuming the bumpers contacted first, both cars were engineered to withstand some impact.  Lastly, the car in front wasn't a stationary object and once the force exceeded the capacity of the tires friction against the road, it would be pushed forward.  Odds of living are high if you aren't trapped and the car catches fire.
Also have to keep in mind that being struck from behind at 67 MPH would likely have resulted in secondary collisions with road barriers, a wall, or other vehicles like parked cars. Could have also caused the victim's car to spin and/or roll. 

It seems unlikely she died on impact, though the whiplash certainly could have done some significant damage. 

Just a horrible tragedy - this woman out driving home (or to work or to a dog park after work or whatever) and just had the terrible timing to be impacted by Ruggs' terrible decision. Awful. 

Assuming the bumpers contacted
‘vette is probably lower than a RAV4.

Looking at the vehicles, his front is crumpled. The burned out Rav4 doesn’t look like there was much absorption of the force.

Pedantic detail….people keep saying 127

Henry Ruggs is accused of driving 156 mph before the crash. 

He was at 127mph when airbags deployed. His blood alcohol level was .161. This is more than twice the legal limit...

I would not be surprised if Ruggs never plays another down in the NFL. 

I'd reverse that and say that I would be surprised if he ever played another down.

Pretty sure you’re saying the same thing.

Make no mistake, they're both saying things in the same direction -- I don't think anyone meant to imply that anyone was in disagreement. But they're only equivalent statements under the assumption that the word surprise is appropriate anytime a true/false proposition ends up falling on the side that one considered to have the lesser probability. Which just depends on one's definition of surprise. I usually think of surprise as a bit more restrictive word.

You know: I flip a coin 100 times, and it lands heads 51 times. Am I surprised that it landed heads more than 50 times, rather than 50 or fewer? No, not really, even though there was less than 0.5 probability of that occuring. If it landed heads 62 times, now I'm definitely surprised. So if you use a more restrictive definition of the word in that way, there is some gap, say in the 1/3 - 2/3 probability range, or wherever you want to put it, where neither outcome is really surprising. This is what @Don Quixote, I'm sure, was trying to say.

Let's use 1/3 as the threshold of surprise -- i.e., a thing is surprising to you if and only if you believed it had less than 1/3 probability of being true, and conversely, a thing that doesn't happen is surprising if and only if you believed it had greater than 2/3 probability of being true. @Pip's Invitation wouldn't be surprised if the proposition (namely, "Ruggs plays again", which we'll call q) is false: therefore, he believes that P(q) is <= 2/3. @Don Quixote, however, would be surprised if P is true: therefore he believes not only that P(q) <= 2/3, but further that P(q) < 1/3.

But of course, the threshold is highly subjective. Even if one increases the threshold to 1/2, the definitive maximum, the two statements are not quite equivalent. @Pip's Invitation would then believe that P(q) <= 1/2, while @Don Quixote would believe that P(q) < 1/2 ... the only difference being that Pip might think it's a toss-up, while we know Don definitely does not.

It may have just been pure luck that Ruggs survived. Regardless, what a horrible example of  recklessness and life needlessly destroyed. I hope he gets convicted and gets the book thrown at him. 
Agreed. If he gets sentenced to 20 years I won’t shed a single tear for him. 

Also have to keep in mind that being struck from behind at 67 MPH would likely have resulted in secondary collisions with road barriers, a wall, or other vehicles like parked cars. Could have also caused the victim's car to spin and/or roll. 

It seems unlikely she died on impact, though the whiplash certainly could have done some significant damage. 

Just a horrible tragedy - this woman out driving home (or to work or to a dog park after work or whatever) and just had the terrible timing to be impacted by Ruggs' terrible decision. Awful. 
I read an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal where they talked to someone who stopped to try and help. Said the woman was screaming, but couldn't pull her out before the heat and flames got too bad as she was pinned in the car. 

What a horrible, horrible way to go.  Hope he gets the book thrown at him. Just senseless. 

I read an article in the Las Vegas Review Journal where they talked to someone who stopped to try and help. Said the woman was screaming, but couldn't pull her out before the heat and flames got too bad as she was pinned in the car. 

What a horrible, horrible way to go.  Hope he gets the book thrown at him. Just senseless. 
Truly wish I did not read this. 

It won't bring back the dead. Maybe he'll get some "Jesus" in prison, not that I'm a believer, and save others from dui fatalities or bad outcomes.
It's obvious it never brings back the dead, but consequences for actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Jesus" stuff is bs excuse for people that say it. My mother was one of those found Jesus people. Does nothing for the damage you did to myself & my brothers as kids. F off

There have been plenty of instances of athletes and other people hotrodding while sober. The alcohol was probably an influence in Ruggs' case. 
He didn't say "hot rodding" he said 156 down a residential street.

Not that I am ok with either, but 156 through a 25 mph neighborhood is VASTLY different than 156 on an open highway at 3 AM

It's obvious it never brings back the dead, but consequences for actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Jesus" stuff is bs excuse for people that say it. My mother was one of those found Jesus people. Does nothing for the damage you did to myself & my brothers as kids. F off
I was using "Jesus" as a metaphor for moral compass. Sorry if I offended you.

oh god. I kind of wish I didn't know that.  :(  

It’s easy for a bunch of 50+ year old guys to call him an “idiot” or worse for driving drunk - and while he is those things I’m sure a lot of people made similarly poor decisions in our early 20s while under the influence. And sure he has millions but it’s not like we couldn’t have afforded $30 for a cab working a normal job.

I have much more sympathy for the woman and her family but I do have a bit of sympathy for a 21 year old kid that just destroyed his life as well and has to live with tons of guilt.
Exactly! I feel terrible for ALL involved. It was absolutely a stupid thing to do, AND I have absolutely done stupid things in my life. I was lucky. I can only imagine what I would have pulled had I had that kind of money at that age. 

It’s easy for a bunch of 50+ year old guys to call him an “idiot” or worse for driving drunk - and while he is those things I’m sure a lot of people made similarly poor decisions in our early 20s while under the influence. And sure he has millions but it’s not like we couldn’t have afforded $30 for a cab working a normal job.

I have much more sympathy for the woman and her family but I do have a bit of sympathy for a 21 year old kid that just destroyed his life as well and has to live with tons of guilt.
I have done stupid things, but 156 mph while drunk with a firearm in the car seems like next level stupid.  I still sympathize will all involved, even the idiot who is responsible. So Much moreso, the victim and her family and friends, there’s room enough in my heart for a modicum of sympathy for a young man who had everything and then lost it in a moment of indescribably bad judgment.  

I don't have any sympathy for this guy.  his actions were his choices.  hope he does a lot of time.
I totally get the anger side to this. He definitely will do time - probably a lot of it. I do feel sympathy for him though. There's a big difference between not appreciating consequences and actual intent to cause harm. It's an extreme example of recklessness though so I get not feeling sympathy.

Such a tragic story for the woman and her dog that were burned alive. The prosecutors will probably come down hard with max jail time on this one given the details.

I really can`t throw stones as I drove drunk quite a few times in my 20s.  Only one thing different.  I actually was probably more careful knowing I had a few drinks in me than when I drove sober.

Would never think of going 150mph while blasted and at the time I was at Ford and getting hot vehicles to drive.

The womens family has suffered an unimaginable loss. Ruggs has blown what could have been a very good NFL career and now will spend time in jail so his family will suffer as well.  but Ruggs will get out and still have many years of life ahead,  The woman is gone forever.

No winners here.

Da Guru said:
Such a tragic story for the woman and her dog that were burned alive. The prosecutors will probably come down hard with max jail time on this one given the details.

I really can`t throw stones as I drove drunk quite a few times in my 20s.  Only one thing different.  I actually was probably more careful knowing I had a few drinks in me than when I drove sober.

Would never think of going 150mph while blasted and at the time I was at Ford and getting hot vehicles to drive.

The womens family has suffered an unimaginable loss. Ruggs has blown what could have been a very good NFL career and now will spend time in jail so his family will suffer as well.  but Ruggs will get out and still have many years of life ahead,  The woman is gone forever.

No winners here.
Very good post.  Yeah cannot cast stones and say I have never driven when I should not have.

If every team doesn’t already have a free car service…what are they doing?  They, or the league should if they were smart.   Quick call and have a car there for you anywhere, anytime.   There is no excuse for that in this day and age and with the money these players, teams, and league have.

BassNBrew said:
Odds of living are high if you aren't trapped and the car catches fire.
Pretty solid explanation, the car frame left behind by the Rav4, looked more like the bones of a Pontiac Aztec, that's how bad that thing exploded and burned. 

Initially I thought he killed the woman on impact since he was going so fast and hoping the victim never felt a thing but we have come to find out that this is just not true, in fact the woman and dog suffered greatly beyond the wreck and it just is almost too much to try and comprehend. 

It’s bizarre that people are including driving with a loaded gun in the same conversation as driving 156 mph on a residential street while drunk.  Is it even illegal to drive with a loaded gun?

It’s bizarre that people are including driving with a loaded gun in the same conversation as driving 156 mph on a residential street while drunk.  Is it even illegal to drive with a loaded gun?
It is when relayed to alcohol & driving, yes. Very specifically in NV, in fact. 

Users who are viewing this thread