What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jakobi Meyers, LV (1 Viewer)

I understand the optimism for Meyers and I don't want to discredit it. I do want to say be cautious in thinking that because the WR in front of him are old or have a history of suspension clearly opens the door for him. It is possible but let's assume Edelman and Thomas take a step down due to age. I would think NE could be going hard for proven veteran WR in free agency next year that could then leapfrog Meyers and his position is back to where it is today. I think he is a great wild card that has looked great this preseason and I would love to have him as a potential breakout guy but I think it is likely NE reloads at WR through trade or free agency in the next 12 months.

Isn't Edelman 33 years old?  That's pretty long in the tooth and the wheel typically comes off for most receivers much earlier.  Doesn't mean this is the year for Edelman--but it certainly is one idea why he might lose the slot role this year.  

Beyond his preseason performance, one of the reasons I am buying Meyers now is because the guys in front of him are so old (Edelman and Thomas) and unreliable (Gordon) and the rest have proven to be mediocre.
If Brady is playing and Gronk isn't, Edelman will be playing and seeing the ball a ton. I posted the numbers in another thread. Edelman averaged roughly 12 targets a game without Gronk and put up WR5-7 numbers in PPR leagues.

Anything future wise in NE is totally undefined, and unknown at this point. Edelman / Thomas / Gordon could be gone . . . but so could Brady and Belichick. The entire staff and roster could look nothing like it does now in a few years. But as long as Brady and BB have been there, the slot receiver is the guy that sees the ball. Once in a while a true outside receiver will put up a good season (Moss, Cooks), but I am not sure as Brady continues to age that suddenly the numbers of outside receivers are going to start going up a ton.

Certainly Meyers is worth rostering and seeing how things play out, but I wouldn't expect Welker like numbers for awhile. Edelman did very little his first few years.

Isn't Edelman 33 years old?  That's pretty long in the tooth and the wheel typically comes off for most receivers much earlier.  Doesn't mean this is the year for Edelman--but it certainly is one idea why he might lose the slot role this year.  

Beyond his preseason performance, one of the reasons I am buying Meyers now is because the guys in front of him are so old (Edelman and Thomas) and unreliable (Gordon) and the rest have proven to be mediocre.
i think Edelman has 2 year contract now. He's not walking away as long as he's healthy and under contract. He's also pretty close to Brady too and ridiculous competitor. I don't think walks away unless he has to. More likely scenario is that Dorsett isn't signed again after this 1-year deal ends. Who knows what Gordon will do this season or in the future? Pointless to speculate. I see Meyers as a long term play and real value in the event that someone succumbs to injury ahead of him.

Michael Giardi @MikeGiardi

Couple notes on Jakobi Meyers last night. 1) he didn’t finish the play on skinny post. He was the clear out guy but I recall Donte Stallworth telling me he made that same mistake when he first started working with Brady. In 2007. The message from TB12 was simple: always be ready.

Michael Giardi @MikeGiardi

Secondly on Meyers, that ball he “dropped” was a poor throw by Brady, behind a crossing receiver. Would you like him to catch it? Absolutely. But that was on the QB first and foremost.

i think Edelman has 2 year contract now. He's not walking away as long as he's healthy and under contract. He's also pretty close to Brady too and ridiculous competitor. I don't think walks away unless he has to. More likely scenario is that Dorsett isn't signed again after this 1-year deal ends. Who knows what Gordon will do this season or in the future? Pointless to speculate. I see Meyers as a long term play and real value in the event that someone succumbs to injury ahead of him.
I don't think the contract matters. The reality is that out of the last two seasons he has played 12 games.  He was injured during off season workouts this summer. It isn't hard to imagine him not playing a full season or close to it in year 33.  Meyers or no Meyers, this is not a guy I would want to be investing in.

I didn't like that post route he missed. With Bill these things matter more than with anyone. He didn't see action after that, but got eventually on the field and did well.

He won't see any play time during the season if he does it again...

I am wary of preseason buzz about Patriots receivers, because the New England hype machine often seems to run in high gear. A few years ago everyone was raving about Zach Sudfeld and Kenbrell Thompkins, a few weeks ago it was Maurice Harris, and it feels like there have been others in between (although their names aren't coming to mind).

There is likely to be an opportunity opening up within a couple years in New England to be next in the Brown-Welker-Edelman line of possession receivers, and the things coming out about Meyers are good signs about him, but I think they are not all that strong a signal compared to the background rate of what we hear about new Patriots receivers.

I am wary of preseason buzz about Patriots receivers, because the New England hype machine often seems to run in high gear. A few years ago everyone was raving about Zach Sudfeld and Kenbrell Thompkins, a few weeks ago it was Maurice Harris, and it feels like there have been others in between (although their names aren't coming to mind).

There is likely to be an opportunity opening up within a couple years in New England to be next in the Brown-Welker-Edelman line of possession receivers, and the things coming out about Meyers are good signs about him, but I think they are not all that strong a signal compared to the background rate of what we hear about new Patriots receivers.
This is not unreasonable. However, there are a couple of differences. First, Meyers has performed better than all those other hot summer hypes.  Second, Edelman is 33 years old and coming off an injury.  Gordon is Gordon. And Thomas is 31 and recovering from injury.  So the future may come much faster than you think.

That being said, Meyers is no sure thing either, but he isn't Sudeld and Thomkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jakobi Meyers caught 4-of-4 targets for 54 yards in the Patriots' Week 6 win over the Giants.

Filling in for Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) in three-receiver sets, Meyers became the Pats' No. 2 after Josh Gordon departed late in the first half with a knee issue. Gordon's injury didn't appear overly serious, but he never checked back in after halftime. Meyers was the closest thing the Pats had to a down-field threat while the game was still in doubt, notching a pair of 23-yard receptions in the first half. The 4/54 receiving line nearly doubled his previous season production. Depending on Gordon and Dorsett's Week 7 health, Meyers could have some WR4 appeal vs. the Jets in New York.

A couple of the catches were bad throws, his hands are glue. He should be the “Malcom Michell” on this offense with the ineptitude I’m seeing.  Runs very good routes and has the best release of any Wr (along with Edelman) on the team.

A couple of the catches were bad throws, his hands are glue. He should be the “Malcom Michell” on this offense with the ineptitude I’m seeing.  Runs very good routes and has the best release of any Wr (along with Edelman) on the team.
Really hope he’s better than Malcolm Mitchell.

Really hope he’s better  less injured than Malcolm Mitchell.
FIFY. Mitchell was looking really promising before he couldn't get back on the field. I'm not sure Meyers is as good, but there's definitely opportunity in NE going forward. 

He did have that one catch where he caught the ball then pulled it up so the defender couldn't knock it out of his hands.  You know BB had to love that while watching film.

PFF has a good article on him on their site. his catch rate in and out of traffic is incredible, just as it was in college. he's going to be the homerun threat going forward. As Al Pacino once state "I'm just gettin' warmed up!" 

https://youtu.be/ELEgcY7k7cA

this kid is going to be on many fantasy championship winning teams

Meh.  What’s the timeframe for him doing something?  Who will be the QB by the time he is fantasy relevant?
I was thinking next year, but I'm not aware of the Pats' WR contract situations. He's probably behind Gordon, Dorsett, and Edelman in the pecking order right now and probably through next year, depending on how long the guys are signed for.

Harry kills much of Meyers' value, IMO. Harry simply has a lot higher ceiling & will be given the opp first (long-term).

In fact, I believe Harry is one of the more undervalued dynasty assets in FF. Kind of an out-of-sight/out-of-mind thing, but he's eligible to come off the IR in week 9.

Good trade target since you might be able to get him for a bargain. 

Harry kills much of Meyers' value, IMO. Harry simply has a lot higher ceiling & will be given the opp first.

In fact, I believe Harry is one of the more undervalued dynasty assets in FF. Kind of an out-of-sight/out-of-mind thing, but he's eligible to come off the IR in week 9.

Good trade target since you might be able to get him for a bargain. 
Teams tend not to give up on first-rounders so easily. True dat. But if Meyers continues to outplay him when Harry is healthy, the job will be Meyers's. Those championship windows are tighter than crossing routes in the middle of the field.

Teams tend not to give up on first-rounders so easily. True dat. But if Meyers continues to outplay him when Harry is healthy, the job will be Meyers's. Those championship windows are tighter than crossing routes in the middle of the field.
I believe Harry is going to be worth his draft slot, but I can see Meyers being a nice WR for the Pats, albeit with more value to them than in FF (again, long-term).

This year, Meyers could have the edge depending on how fast Harry gets integrated.

Jakobi Meyers caught all five of his targets for 47 yards in the Patriots' Week 7 win over the Jets.

Over the last two weeks with Josh Gordon banged up, Meyers has reeled in all nine of his targets for 101 scoreless yards. He also drew a pass interference call against Trumaine Johnson tonight after killing him on a double-move that would have went for a long touchdown if Johnson didn't grab Meyers. He was also the subject of a defensive holding in the end zone on what would have been another score for Meyers. Bad luck. If Gordon misses Week 8 against the Browns, Meyers will again be featured in three-wide sets.

get him now before they realize they have the next Randy Moss and throw a dozen passes/gm to him. 

Edelman, the steroid cheater guy, will get hurt at some point. Gordon is a JAG. Meyers will be one of the most coveted WR's heading in to 2020 for Dynasty leagues.scoop him up now while he's still cheap.

his avg fantasy ppg is trending up, and remains steady. 

Jakobi Meyers caught 4-of-9 targets for 74 yards in the Patriots' Week 12 win over the Cowboys.

The undrafted rookie wasn’t perfect, dropping a pair of passes in the driving rain. Still, Meyers made several clutch catches throughout the afternoon, notably converting a crucial third down early in the fourth quarter. Meyers was a training camp darling among the media and Tom Brady alike, while the rookie has also demonstrated some NFL-ready ability as a route runner in the preseason and during portions of the regular season. Meyers won’t have a fantasy-viable role once Mohamed Sanu (ankle) and Phillip Dorsett (concussion) return, but the future is bright for the Patriots’ young WR.

Jakobi Meyers caught 4-of-6 targets for 60 yards in the Patriots' Week 7 loss to the 49ers. 

Meyers had precisely one reception headed into Week 7, so this came out of nowhere. New England's abominable pass catching group is waiting for someone to emerge as a threat who can separate from coverage, but it's hard to say Meyers will be that guy. Meyers, who had 359 yards on 26 receptions last season, is worth a speculative add in 14-team leagues with multiple flex spots.

- Rotoworld

Jakobi Meyers caught 6-of-10 targets for 58 yards in the Patriots' Week 8 loss to the Bills.

Meyers has led New England in targets for two straight weeks. He's also topped 50 yards in back-to-back games. His role will diminish once Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry return to the lineup but that could take a few weeks. Meyers is a super deep flex consideration because of the volume but Cam Newton's struggles as a passer cap his upside.

- Rotoworld

Worth grabbing or just a short term play until the NE WR unit gets healthier?
Who knows how long Edelman will be out for? I will say that Meyers was not active and way behind guys on the depth chart, so his sudden volume may end as soon as the NE WR unit gets healthy. But the ineffectiveness of Damiere Byrd and N'Keal Harry really give one pause.

I picked up Meyers for basically free in dyansty for a filler last week.

Worth grabbing or just a short term play until the NE WR unit gets healthier?
I lean towards worth grabbing because he has a great opportunity to be their #1...Edelman may not return this season (and even if he does the end is very near) and somehow/someway they have put together a WR/TE unit that is worse then many college programs even if they are healthy...I would find a spot for him on the end of your bench for the next few weeks as I would not be surprised if he builds off of last week.

Love seeing Meyers doing well.  Always thought he had the talent to be a quality NFL receiver. Never understood why he languished do long on the bench.  Guess he didn't have the size or speed, but he can make the tough catches.  I just hope his role continues to expand on the weeks ahead.

Love seeing Meyers doing well.  Always thought he had the talent to be a quality NFL receiver. Never understood why he languished do long on the bench.  Guess he didn't have the size or speed, but he can make the tough catches.  I just hope his role continues to expand on the weeks ahead.
I didn't pick him up last week because worried about the Isaiah Ford influence, but maybe worth a look this week.

Jakobi Meyers caught 12-of-14 targets for 169 yards in the Patriots' Week 9 win over the Jets.

Meyers had around 100 yards by halftime as he was peppered relentlessly by Cam Newton, seeing 40% of the Patriots' targets. No catch was bigger than Meyers' 20-yard grab with three seconds left in the fourth quarter and the game tied 27-27. Nick Folk kicked a 51-yard field goal to win the game on the next play. Meyers has 24 targets over the last two weeks with Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry injured. Meyers was open all night in this one and will be a volume-driven WR2/3 next week against the Ravens if Harry is out again.

Nov 9, 2020, 11:23 PM ET

Suffered my worst fantasy loss of my life.  Put up a MASSIVE 175 point week which was the biggest in the league this year and was up 28.8 vs Meyers.  Lost by 1 yard on that last play... anything but a 19 yard catch and I win.  I know no one cares but this is part of the grieving process.

Suffered my worst fantasy loss of my life.  Put up a MASSIVE 175 point week which was the biggest in the league this year and was up 28.8 vs Meyers.  Lost by 1 yard on that last play... anything but a 19 yard catch and I win.  I know no one cares but this is part of the grieving process.
Meyers may never get that many yards again. He's available in most leagues. Better luck next week!

I picked him up just in case Michael Thomas was a late scratch Sunday night with all intentions of tossing him back.  I guess I need to hold.  

Users who are viewing this thread