What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (4 Viewers)

If WRs are meaningless in your league you need to increase the starting requirements. This will work independently of whether you give them ppr or not.

I changed my league from PPR to point per first down rushing or receiving. Love it. Orbs are back in it and WRs aren't getting points for 1 yard screen passes. I hope this becomes the norm at some point. Going to try and sell my dynasty league on it. Tough to change dynasty rules though.

To monk's point Julio has been WR #21 week's 4-13 in my non-PPR (WRs & TEs are combined). He's still the #8 WR/TE on the season.

Ryan is not special, Shanahan is not a good OC and this passing offense is completely devoid of talent outside of Julio. None of the struggles atm particularly surprise me.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does anyone think this guy is a stud? I would be shocked if he is top 12 in standard scoring leagues after week 3

Every week I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with my supposed #1 WR going up against the other teams #1 WR.

week

13 - vs Hopkins (julio lose) 10 - 12

12 - vs Calvin (julio destroyed) 4- 24

11 - vs John Freakin Brown (julio barely wins) 12.5 - 9.5 luckily AB was on a bye

10 - Bye

09 - vs Sanders (julio loses) 10 - 14

08 - vs Cooks (julio loses) 15 - 19

07 - vs Cooper (julio loses) 12 - 18

06 - vs Robinson (julio loses) 10 -11.5

In some odd way Julio Jones is my weakest link ... I'm always starting at a disadvantage
I dunno, number 1 in PPR?
Yeah PPR is kinda silly ... it doesn't represent real production
1 point per 10 yards receiving is less arbitrary?
10 yds is a 1st down and has moved u 10 yds closer to the opposing teams end zone

The object of the game is to move the ball down field and score. Catching a ball may or may not contribute to that at all.

It's nonsense and no different that rewarding a QB for completions or a RB for carries
A reception is far more significant than a RB carry. It takes work to get receptions. Either way, this is the kind of thing that no internet argument is going to solve. I doubt you've played PPR. Once you play it, it opens the whole league up. In my non-ppr days, wr's were virtually meaningless, aside from the top 10.

Also, non-ppr relies far too much on touchdowns, imo, which further enhances the luck, which I don't like.
A reception is far more significant than a RB carry? - Reception or Carry is insignificant - It's the Yardage and scoring that matters and only that. A reception for -1 yards is not equal to a carry for 10 yds ... not even debatable

In my non-ppr days, wr's were virtually meaningless, aside from the top 10. - PPR was created to equalize the difference between RBs and WRs 10 years ago when you had Featured RBs getting 20-30 touches a game. It did not make sense then because scoring is relative to the position and it makes less sense now that RBs are "virtually meaningless, aside from the top 10".

SameSongNDance said:
Ryan is not special, Shanahan is not a good OC and this passing offense is completely devoid of talent outside of Julio. None of the struggles atm particularly surprise me.
I don't know what qualifies as special but for most of the past six years Ryan has statistically been one of the top QBs in the NFL.

He's on pace for 1644 and 7.4 tds. If you were told you would be given that at the beginning of the year from your 1st round pick you take it every time and dont look back. Anyone that argues otherwise has unrealistic expectations or is trolling.

He's on pace for 1644 and 7.4 tds. If you were told you would be given that at the beginning of the year from your 1st round pick you take it every time and dont look back. Anyone that argues otherwise has unrealistic expectations or is trolling.
If you knew your 1st round pick would have 2 TDs from game 4-13 you'd probably say ...No Thanks !

Arodin said:
If WRs are meaningless in your league you need to increase the starting requirements. This will work independently of whether you give them ppr or not.
I Did This WR waiver used to be flush now its dry

also PPR was made to even out WR and RB so that RB's whern't everythnig, but the NFL is starting to do that itself by making many more RBBC and lower the general scoring for RBs, outside of your top talents like AP, Ect, WR's and RB's are lining up evenly without PPR this is demostrated in our top 5, close and gose RB RB WR WR WR

1 Devonta Freeman ATL 194.70

2 Adrian Peterson MIN 185.10

3 DeAndre Hopkins HOU 176.90

4 Antonio Brown PIT 175.80

5 Odell Beckham Jr NYG 175.70

A lot of people in this thread had much higher expectations for Julio at the beginning of the season, particularly in the TD department.

And the fact that he has scored in only twice in his last nine games and none in the last three is not something any reasonable person would "take and not look back".

A lot of people in this thread had much higher expectations for Julio at the beginning of the season, particularly in the TD department.

And the fact that he has scored in only twice in his last nine games and none in the last three is not something any reasonable person would "take and not look back".
i mean yeah he hasent been great the last few games, but he won me so many early on i have a bye.. still happy having him as my earrlllyyy second round pick.. (over megatron :D )

Assuming 12-team, PPR, aside from Julio being WR1 on a PPG basis he has also been the 2nd most "consistent" WR behind Hopkins according to this. In standard, he drops down to WR6 and the 6th most consistent WR. Considering first round bust rates and early round underperformers amongst WRs, if you are actually arguing against the fact that Julio has been a huge asset this year, you're supremely confused.

102/1338/6

Dont set your expectations to high or anything. League leader in those stats except for TDs, those will come.

Those criticizing Julio look like spoiled children upset he doesnt get 8/120/1 every week.

Over 100 catches in week 13 and people had much higher expectations? Unbelievable.

102/1338/6

Dont set your expectations to high or anything. League leader in those stats except for TDs, those will come.

Those criticizing Julio look like spoiled children upset he doesnt get 8/120/1 every week.

Over 100 catches in week 13 and people had much higher expectations? Unbelievable.
You don't need to tell me that. I don't expect everyone to know who said what throughout a 28 page thread but I was heavily criticized in this thread for trying to temper the expectations in this thread on Julio this year.

Still even from my perspective, and he is right on target for my pre-season projections (100+ catches, 1,600+ yards and 10 TDs), I think it is entirely reasonable to be very disappointed in only two TDs over a nine week span, particularly considering how heavily he has been targeted. Even Julio seems to be getting disgruntled by his lack of usage near the goal line.

102/1338/6

He had a fantastic start ... I get that

He catches a ton of passes ... I get that

He's very consistent ... I get that

He's a WR2 in standard scoring leagues over the past 9 game ... I don't get that !!!!!

102/1338/6

You don't need to tell me that. I don't expect everyone to know who said what throughout a 28 page thread but I was heavily criticized in this thread for trying to temper the expectations in this thread on Julio this year.

Still even from my perspective, and he is right on target for my pre-season projections (100+ catches, 1,600+ yards and 10 TDs), I think it is entirely reasonable to be very disappointed in only two TDs over a nine week span, particularly considering how heavily he has been targeted. Even Julio seems to be getting disgruntled by his lack of usage near the goal line.
Do me a favor and tell me who is scoring this week?

Thats the point, you never know. I rather have the guy who gets used a ton and hope he scores then trying to predict TDs.

Brown

Julio

Beckham

Hopkins

All the same in that aspect. Browns TDs have been down too.

102/1338/6

"100+" is a little ambiguous. He's going to catch 130+ which is monstrous.

102/1338/6

Thats the point, you never know. I rather have the guy who gets used a ton and hope he scores then trying to predict TDs.

Brown

Julio

Beckham

Hopkins

If you had to bet your life on one of the 4 Not scoring a TD this week ...who would it be ?

102/1338/6

Brown

Julio

Beckham

Hopkins

I understand your logic and it is correct by many measures but I would bet on any of those other guys to score a TD over Julio this week, doesn't mean it will happen but that's where the smart money would be. Hopkins has scored in 7 of 12 games, Beckham in 8 of 12 and Brown's TDs really haven't been down with Roethlisberger in the lineup, he has scored in 5 of Ben's 8 games. Julio has found the endzone in 4 of 12 games. That's disappointing by any measure. Seems that those other guys are getting higher quality targets near the end zone.

I lean towards the heavily used guys as well but every now and again Emmitt Smith has a season where he only rushes for 4 TDs sandwiched between seasons of 25, 21, 12, 4, 13 & 11 TDs (It was 1997 and he was my first round pick. Curtis Martin coming off of consecutive 14 rushing TD seasons also only rushed for 4 in 1997, he was my second round pick...yes I'm still bitter about it). Julio looks to be having one of those seasons.

102/1338/6

Okay. I don't play in PPR so didn't really care to delve too deeply into it. His high water mark was 104, which he did once (2014) so I just projected that he would exceed that, which was good enough for my needs.

102/1338/6

Okay. I don't play in PPR so didn't really care to delve too deeply into it. His high water mark was 104, which he did once (2014) so I just projected that he would exceed that, which was good enough for my needs.
Makes sense you don't play PPR. This is the big difference in opinions in this thread.

A lot of people in this thread had much higher expectations for Julio at the beginning of the season, particularly in the TD department.And the fact that he has scored in only twice in his last nine games and none in the last three is not something any reasonable person would "take and not look back".
102/1338/6

You don't need to tell me that. I don't expect everyone to know who said what throughout a 28 page thread but I was heavily criticized in this thread for trying to temper the expectations in this thread on Julio this year.Still even from my perspective, and he is right on target for my pre-season projections (100+ catches, 1,600+ yards and 10 TDs), I think it is entirely reasonable to be very disappointed in only two TDs over a nine week span, particularly considering how heavily he has been targeted. Even Julio seems to be getting disgruntled by his lack of usage near the goal line.
I do remember this. Too bad Julio didn't read this thread. If he had, he would have known months ago that his OC is too stupid to figure out how to get the ball to his best weapon in the red zone.

:shrug: He's #2 in our NonPPR -- 1 pt per 10 yds, 2 pts for 100 yds; 2 more points for 150 --he's had 6 100+ yd games and 3 150+ yd games-- I'll take it --

Dude is #1 in my PPR league. Over 100 catches and over 1300 yards through 3/4 of a football season? That's pretty damn impressive. Basically almost matched his totals from 2014 already.

There's a lot of guys whose production you can be disappointed in this year but Julio isn't one of them.

#3 in my non ppr. I'm beginning to think this is just recency bias. He hasn't had a trademark monster game for a few weeks. No one was making these turd julio-hating arguments early in the season.

You can't sit him. He's just too good. Here's hoping the OC starts using him. Ire on quick slants like he did earlier this year and that Ryan gets out of his slump and starts looking to him. Ore in the red zone. I'd rather have him do nothing most of the year then explode during the playoffs than tear it up all year and go silent when needed most.

You can't sit him. He's just too good. Here's hoping the OC starts using him. Ire on quick slants like he did earlier this year and that Ryan gets out of his slump and starts looking to him. Ore in the red zone. I'd rather have him do nothing most of the year then explode during the playoffs than tear it up all year and go silent when needed most.
it's not Julio to me, it's ryan. I never really watched him too much before but he doesn't appear to have any zip to his throws. has it always been that way. I can't see them doing anything against norman so will probably regret sitting him, but just not a good matchup

#3 in my non ppr. I'm beginning to think this is just recency bias. He hasn't had a trademark monster game for a few weeks. No one was making these turd julio-hating arguments early in the season.
This is precisely what it is.

Ryan needs to grow a pair, but Jones has been productive in both PPR and non-PPR pretty much all year.

I have Julio in 3 leagues, and picked him at #1 OVERALL in two of those leagues.

The guy is tied for #4 WR in fantasy, with a mere 8 points separating the entire top 5. http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaders?&seasonTotals=true&seasonId=2015&slotCategoryId=4

I don't much care how others manage their teams, and I suppose you *might* be in a position to bench him.

But if you think you can, (and get away with it) then like the above poster said, more power to you.

Oh- also note that this has been a very "slow" last 2 weeks, he could easily be #1WR at this point.

Not to mention he grumbled a bit this week about why he wasn't getting anything in the redzone.

He said something to the effect of "I don't know whats going on down there". I don't have the exact quote in front of me.

I know he is up against Norman twice in the immediate future, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets 2 TDs this week either.

Lets face it, the guy got me to the playoffs, and I won't be benching him.

(I do play in start 3WR leagues it should be noted, no way I will ever bench him there)

I'm not going to be that guy who whines all offseason "Man I never should have benched Julio Jones in week 14...how could I have done that".

I'd rather take a slightly lower output with very high upside than to risk losing a close one because I benched him.

TZM

More power to you if you have a legit starter over Julio.
going Baldwin as of now. dude has been on fire the last few weeks, bad man getting his feet wet is lighting it up and Atlanta is going the opposite way.

with Julio complaining it may increase their effort to get him looks but not sure.

Dude is #1 in my PPR league. Over 100 catches and over 1300 yards through 3/4 of a football season? That's pretty damn impressive. Basically almost matched his totals from 2014 already.

There's a lot of guys whose production you can be disappointed in this year but Julio isn't one of them.
Demaryius Thomas is 6th in my PPT League.

Where does he rank from weeks 4-13?
Good things those weeks have nothing to do with Week 14 then huh?

I'm not one for attacking anyones opinion, but you are trying to make it look like the guy who leads the league in yards and catches is not great or elite because he hasnt gotten the number of TDs you expected, just because you do not play in PPR is not our problem or anyone elses. You look like a troll in this thread, and I know that is not your attempt even if your last post screams it, but I have to call this just pouty anger at his TDs, because you cant reasonable believe that Julio is not one of the studliest in the league.

ODB and TY Hilton. Who do you start?
More power to you that you can be in a league and own Julio, ODB and TY.
I have no dog in your two's discussion, other than I side with always starting Julio.

But I would like to point out, that sometimes these unbelievably strong combinations can happen.

In one 10 team league (start 3 WR) I own Julio, Randall Cobb and Allen Robinson.

This could have been even stronger had I not taken Cobb at pick #20.

How did I end up like this???

I took Julio #1 overall as I mentioned above. Cobb at pick 20, and Lamar Miller #21.

(Amendola and Martavis on the bench) :P

Hell I could have had DeAndre Hopkins instead of Cobb. He went in the early 4th round in that league.

I suppose we could have a scenario where he could have two starters he would "rather" start than Julio, but those situations are few and far between indeed.

AND- If I had his particular scenario, I would have traded TY Hilton long ago for solid RB value, and then I'd be starting Julio and ODB and be loving life. :yes:

If its a start 2 WR league, no sense in having someone like TY on the bench when you should have been able to get RB1 value after week 6 or 7 when he started finally putting up numbers.

TZM

What's so hard about that?
I've got AJ Green, Allen Robinson, and Sammy Watkins (@Philly) and there's no way I'm benching Julio.

I think they'll line him up in the slot primarily to avoid Norman. I see a lot of quick hitting receptions. Upside may be limited, but in PPR could still see one of those 8-10 reception games for 60-70 yards. I'll take 17 points.

what if u have Julio (Drafted) ODJ (Drafted), Evans(Traded) and Jeffery(Traded) and M Bryant (Drafted)? and laugh at anyone who faces you :D (i can start 4)

but yes my RB's are terrible and NO i couldnt move some of these WR's for a RB i tried. (even threw out evans and jeffery+ivory for gurley around week 8)

12 team i'd probably bench julio if i wasent on a bye

Where does he rank from weeks 4-13?
Good things those weeks have nothing to do with Week 14 then huh?

I'm not one for attacking anyones opinion, but you are trying to make it look like the guy who leads the league in yards and catches is not great or elite because he hasnt gotten the number of TDs you expected, just because you do not play in PPR is not our problem or anyone elses. You look like a troll in this thread, and I know that is not your attempt even if your last post screams it, but I have to call this just pouty anger at his TDs, because you cant reasonable believe that Julio is not one of the studliest in the league.
Where am I saying he isn't one of the "studliest in the league"? The guy is a supreme athlete, perhaps the most physically gifted WRs in the NFL (certainly in the conversation). That is what makes his lack of TDs, relative to his usage, so disappointing. But I still start him without question or hesitation every week.

I am happy that in PPR leagues he remains a top 5 WR for most of you. But I am not buying that his lack of TDs is something that you, or anyone else is totally cool with. Based on his incredible volume of targets, in your PPR leagues he should be running away with the #1 spot, not fighting for top 5 status.

Again, even Julio is wondering why he is not getting more opportunities near the goal line.

And having a differing opinion about the quality of Julio's production is not trolling. Sorry you see it that way. It's not my M.O. so please accept that and move on.

And having a differing opinion about the quality of Julio's production is not trolling. Sorry you see it that way. It's not my M.O. so please accept that and move on.
You cant have a different opinion on facts or his production in that regard, he is leading the league in catches and yards. It is indisputable that he is an elite producer as he is top of every fantasy leagues scoring. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. I also clearly said I did not think you were trolling even though your posts scream it but after this last comment I have changed my mind and I believe that is all you are doing.

What is your point here? He should have more TDs? Sure, we all agree. But you seem to want to troll or dispute anyone who wants to defend Julio as if he needs defending. I;m at a loss for what you are trying to prove or point you are arguing?

As a Julio owner with a 1st Round Bye, I'm actually rooting for him to have a modest showing against Carolina on the road this week. Then the offense makes the proper adjustments so he can vindicate himself against Norman at home in Week 16... provided I'm fortunate enough to make it to the finals in Week 16.

But hey that's just my selfish agenda. Doesn't help those teams who need him this week. Anyone else rolling with this thought process? :)

As a Julio owner with a 1st Round Bye, I'm actually rooting for him to have a modest showing against Carolina on the road this week. Then the offense makes the proper adjustments so he can vindicate himself against Norman at home in Week 16... provided I'm fortunate enough to make it to the finals in Week 16.

But hey that's just my selfish agenda. Doesn't help those teams who need him this week. Anyone else rolling with this thought process? :)
I would be thrilled if it plays out that way. If he is going to have a monster game or two before the end of the year I would love to see it happen in week 15 or 16 (preferably both) instead of week 14.

Users who are viewing this thread