What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kadarius Toney, KC (2 Viewers)

At this point, Mahomes has seemed fired up about every WR.
I wish I could back track and not have responded so favorably to his glowing praise of Toney.
Is this Mahomes the leader, building confidence in his troops? We may need to remember this for future seasons too

Between chasing pass catchers in KC and chasing Toney for two years, I’m not sure I can get over the mental/ emotional hurdle of being in on Toney. I’m still at least a month away from all my redraft homework. My quick and dirty projection work for dynasty stuff I definitely was not counting on much from him. Feeling like nobody really knows which guy it’s going to be.

Kadarius Toney “tweaked” his knee in punt drills in Sunday’s practice.

The injury apparently happened “pre-practice.” Coach Andy Reid wasn’t acting terribly concerned, but fantasy managers know the drill with Toney. Assume an injury is minor and he will actually be playing/practicing when you see it. Toney comes with immense WR3/4 upside as a potential No. 1 in the Chiefs’ up-for-grabs receiver corps, but his downside remains even more apparent.

Kadarius Toney “tweaked” his knee in punt drills in Sunday’s practice.

The injury apparently happened “pre-practice.” Coach Andy Reid wasn’t acting terribly concerned, but fantasy managers know the drill with Toney. Assume an injury is minor and he will actually be playing/practicing when you see it. Toney comes with immense WR3/4 upside as a potential No. 1 in the Chiefs’ up-for-grabs receiver corps, but his downside remains even more apparent.
This is truly shocking news.

still makes my 14 (skill postion) players in FFPC but firmly entrenched as “lottery ticket” on my bench. Likely a roster clogger when all is said and done.

Toney had knee surgery today to clean some stuff up. Not a major surgery.

My source: Andy Reid's press conference I just listened to on the way to Taco Bell.

Sounds like he might be ready by opening day.
just look at his track record though, very hard to trust him
I started thinking about this some, because Reid also said he had a knee procedure when he was with the Giants.

I'm just wondering if some of these issues have been tied to this knee and he's been overcompensating with his legs to favor that knee and creating other issues. I haven't done the research on what legs and knees and whatever he's had issues with. but something to think about.

On the flip side he may be cursed with bad knees and unfortunately that's what we get and that's what he's gonna be.

My source: Andy Reid's press conference I just listened to on the way to Taco Bell.

I started thinking about this some, because Reid also said he had a knee procedure when he was with the Giants.

I'm just wondering if some of these issues have been tied to this knee and he's been overcompensating with his legs to favor that knee and creating other issues. I haven't done the research on what legs and knees and whatever he's had issues with. but something to think about.

On the flip side he may be cursed with bad knees and unfortunately that's what we get and that's what he's gonna be.
He also plays in a rather bizarre way. His cutting is quite violent and his legs take some weird angles. It’s easy to see watching him how he could have issues with the health of his joints.

He also plays in a rather bizarre way. His cutting is quite violent and his legs take some weird angles. It’s easy to see watching him how he could have issues with the health of his joints.
Yep. That was the first thing I noticed when I first watched film on him. He actually reminds me of Walter Payton, who also did some strange things with cutting angles and such. They both use hesitation steps incredibly effectively. Payton stayed healthy. Toney isn't Payton. Water is wet. But still, I agree his running style is violent and perhaps risky. I sure would love to see him string a healthy season together in this offense.

I doubt he is ready week one but at least he got a lot of work in with Mahomes during the off-season.

I've long railed against the notion of Injury prone. Pro Football Doc(Dr. Chao) is someone whose medical opinions relating to football I put more stock in than anyone not only feels the same way but about a week or so ago he drafted Toney in a Scott Fish Bowl league and said it's because he did not believe in the the injury prone label and added he felt a good off-season of a proper stretching routine would help his hamstrings.

Toney, followed by Penny, make me reconsider if the injury prone label should be real. And I own both of them on multiple dynasty leagues including on teams together and that's because I can't quit talent. Call it a weakness or blind spot or whatever, it's just how I operate. I'm still in and look forward to a a nice reduced price point settling in over the next few weeks.

I doubt he is ready week one but at least he got a lot of work in with Mahomes during the off-season.

I've long railed against the notion of Injury prone. Pro Football Doc(Dr. Chao) is someone whose medical opinions relating to football I put more stock in than anyone not only feels the same way but about a week or so ago he drafted Toney in a Scott Fish Bowl league and said it's because he did not believe in the the injury prone label and added he felt a good off-season of a proper stretching routine would help his hamstrings.

Toney, followed by Penny, make me reconsider if the injury prone label should be real. And I own both of them on multiple dynasty leagues including on teams together and that's because I can't quit talent. Call it a weakness or blind spot or whatever, it's just how I operate. I'm still in and look forward to a a nice reduced price point settling in over the next few weeks.
I guess it depends how one defines injury-prone.

Penny has certainly had more than his fair share of injuries.

Toney as well.

As suggested up-thread, Toney’s violent running/cutting start/stop style of play could certainly be harder on joint tendons than players with a more smooth style of play.

Then there’s the “hurt vs injured” factor, ala Swift.

Personally I’d probably still draft these guys at the right price, because when available their boom games are likely worthwhile. I’d just be drafting with an expectation that they’d only have roughly a ~65% availability for my FF team.

I thought Reid's comments made it sound like the cartilage to clean up in surgery was not really related to the day 1 injury, just something they found while looking at the injury. Did anyone else get that impression?

I thought Reid's comments made it sound like the cartilage to clean up in surgery was not really related to the day 1 injury, just something they found while looking at the injury. Did anyone else get that impression?

I like how you think. I hope you are right.

Yes that was my impression based on Andy saying a few times he was glad they found it.

Also Toney "liked this tweet" below which indicates there was no cartilage cleanup procedure this off-season.

@hbtCHIEFS
·
9h

To clear things up. Adam Schefter's report about Kadarius Toney was indeed wrong yesterday. Andy Reid confirmed that Toney did NOT have an offseason cleanup of his knee, but he DID have that surgery this morning to clean it up. He mentioned it being his meniscus.

He mentioned it being his meniscus.
Meniscus could be anywhere from 1-2 weeks (desk job, light activity, minor repair) to much longer depending on
1. Extent of the surgery
2. Type of job (professional athlete being at the long end)

Full recovery for a meniscus surgery can take anywhere from 1.5-6 months depending on your circumstance.
So…6 weeks seems like the short end, if this was indeed just a little clean-up.

That puts him on track for ~1st week of September?

If it was more extensive (and we really don’t know at this point) it could be longer.

Toney becomes a much bigger gamble IMO. Not specifically due to this injury, but the trend of his being injured. He makes a much better WR4-5 than a WR3.

Still upside if he can come back and wrestle a dominant target share, but this is also ~6 weeks or longer for Mahomes to vibe with Rice, Skyyyyyyy, and/or James.

I sometimes worry about the other injuries he opens himself up for, like a broken hand from punching guys with helmets on. This guy acts like he's been playing at the level everyone wishes he would get to. I wouldn't deny his talent, but I also won't deny his attitude continuing to derail him even when injuries don't. It wouldn't surprise me to see Richie James on the field more than him by mid season.

Twitter quote said ”I’ll be back like I never left”.
more like he never arrived. Yet. 🤞

Maybe not for our fantasy teams but KC likely does not win the SB without his contribution.

I personally think people are to caught in in how handled himself in NY and not how he's handled himself in KC. Just needs to stay healthy and all the narratives will change.

Maybe not for our fantasy teams but KC likely does not win the SB without his contribution.

I personally think people are to caught in in how handled himself in NY and not how he's handled himself in KC. Just needs to stay healthy and all the narratives will change.

Why would you not be worried about that? It is a piece of the puzzle and was less than a year ago...now there is no doubt the kid has serious talent but at some point he needs to prove he can both stay on the field and not be a knucklehead...do that and the narrative will change but at some point he does need to do that.

Why would you not be worried about that? It is a piece of the puzzle and was less than a year ago...now there is no doubt the kid has serious talent but at some point he needs to prove he can both stay on the field and not be a knucklehead...do that and the narrative will change but at some point he does need to do that.
Worried about what?

Worried about what?

Seriously?

Worried about what?

Seriously?
I asked you a question and no I'm not joking.

Worried about what?

Seriously?

Exactly what I posted above.

Worried about what?

Seriously?

Chill dude. I have no idea what the "that" is you are talking about. Have a good day.

I dumped him for 3.4 (rd 3 starts next week) the other day in a league I own Skyy, and I couldn't be happier. There's zero reason at this point to believe this guy will ever be able to string together enough consecutive healthy, let alone productive starts to find his way into most lineups. Maybe he eventually turns a corner, but where there's smoke there's fire, and Toney is not only extremely glassy, he's got a 10 cent head as well.

Worried about what?

Seriously?

Chill dude. I have no idea what the "that" is you are talking about. Have a good day.

Ok dude.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs expect WR Kadarius Toney and RB Isiah Pacheco to be ready for Week 1.

The Chiefs kick off the season on Thursday Night Football in Week 1, meaning the two presumed starters are exactly one month out from the proposed return. Toney underwent a cleanup procedure on his knee two weeks ago while Pacheco underwent two surgeries this offseason to address a torn labrum and broken bone in his hand. Both players have missed the majority of camp as the team prepares for life without former offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

Chiefs HC Andy Reid said injured WR Kadarius Toney “could practice in about a week.”
This seems to back up previous reports that Toney would be able to return prior to the team’s Week 1 contest against the Lions. Kansas City opens the regular season with a Thursday Night Football game, condensing the timeline a bit for the enigmatic wide receiver. That said, he could start the season in a situational role seeing sparse usage considering the amount of time he has missed during camp and preseason.

I am surprised he made it back for week one. Will be pulling for him but he sure won't be in a lineup(and he was in almost all of them before he got hurt).

Been high on this guy. Drafted him cheap in my work auction league to pair with Mahomes. Of course he is the type of dude who is either injured or in some kind antics, despite phenomenal talent. What’s he gonna do this year?

Users who are viewing this thread