What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (1 Viewer)

It has been disappointing but it's not like you can sit him.
True - he's bound to have some big games, but historically when he's healthy, you could usually bank on 8-10+ targets, 6-8 receptions, and 80+ yards per game. With Henry, Ekeler, Gordon and Williams around, those numbers are looking increasingly like a thing of the past. 

True - he's bound to have some big games, but historically when he's healthy, you could usually bank on 8-10+ targets, 6-8 receptions, and 80+ yards per game. With Henry, Ekeler, Gordon and Williams around, those numbers are looking increasingly like a thing of the past. 
Your take is correct.   There are a lot of quality players for Rivers to target.   Rivers is a good QB.  If Allen is his only target, he will target him often even forcing throw after throw.   As soon as other targets are available, Rivers wisely goes to the open man.   Hopefully, teams will begin worrying about Henry soon and Allen will be that open guy.   

Your take is correct.   There are a lot of quality players for Rivers to target.   Rivers is a good QB.  If Allen is his only target, he will target him often even forcing throw after throw.   As soon as other targets are available, Rivers wisely goes to the open man.   Hopefully, teams will begin worrying about Henry soon and Allen will be that open guy.   
Maybe, but Rivers is also looking Williams way a lot as that big target/big play threat that has largely been missing in the offense. And also dumping the ball off a lot to Ekeler. Just one football to go around unfortunately.

I guess we’re saying the same thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but Rivers is also looking Williams way a lot as that big target/big play threat that has largely been missing in the offense. And also dumping the ball off a lot to Ekeler. Just one football to go around unfortunately.

I guess we’re saying the same thing...
We are.  We are smart.  

It has been disappointing but it's not like you can sit him.
Why not?  He’s been terrible since week 3. That’s a bunch of games ago. Painful to watch guys like Metcalf or Mike Williams blow up on your bench while Allen puts up another 3 or 4 points.  Really tempted to shut him down for a while in favor of guys like them. 

Why not?  He’s been terrible since week 3. That’s a bunch of games ago. Painful to watch guys like Metcalf or Mike Williams blow up on your bench while Allen puts up another 3 or 4 points.  Really tempted to shut him down for a while in favor of guys like them. 
I'm going to be a glass half full guy here and say that things are bound to turn for Allen as the offense seems to be finding a groove with the new coaching situation. Could see LAC making their usual late season run after they crap the bed in the first half. At some point, the targets will turn Allen's way. 

Week 4 - 5/48/0

Week 5 - 4/18/0

Week 6 - 2/33/0

Week 7 - 4/61/0

Week 8 - 7/53/0

Week 9 - 3/40/0

6 weeks is not just a anomaly, its almost half a season. 

He is no different than any random guy on the wire who can have a big week but most are bad. He isnt even rosterable except is name is Keenan Allen. 

What is his use to anyone other than taking up roster space? He isnt a point contributor. I can go over the guys on the wire who have done better than him in that time span, but whats the point you already feel this way you just need someone to tell you its ok to cut him.  

Starting Pascal over him and aint thinking twice, Allen is my cut guy if I need to shed someone.

I'm going to be a glass half full guy here and say that things are bound to turn for Allen as the offense seems to be finding a groove with the new coaching situation. Could see LAC making their usual late season run after they crap the bed in the first half. At some point, the targets will turn Allen's way
History has shown that it works out that way, but he's never had a quiet stretch like this while he's healthy. I just think he's never had the supporting cast to share with as he does now, even when Gates was still in his prime.

Otis and Tackle bring up valid points.   I'm going to start him this week against a very soft Raiders pass D.   If Allen doesn't put up decent numbers this week, I can sit him as soon as TY comes back

In 2017 Allen was healthy and did nothing weeks 5-10 and then went wild the remainder of the season.  Weeks 1-4 he was good, 5-10 nothing, and 11-16 he was great.

Currently Rivers is leading the league in passing yardage.  I think now would be a great time to try and get Allen based on his potential.  It may not pan out, but the risk/reward seems very worthwhile.

In 2017 Allen was healthy and did nothing weeks 5-10 and then went wild the remainder of the season.  Weeks 1-4 he was good, 5-10 nothing, and 11-16 he was great.

Currently Rivers is leading the league in passing yardage.  I think now would be a great time to try and get Allen based on his potential.  It may not pan out, but the risk/reward seems very worthwhile.
He was coming off an ACL tear in 2017 though so it makes more sense that things ramped up as the year went on and he got healthier.

tackle for loss said:
Week 4 - 5/48/0

Week 5 - 4/18/0

Week 6 - 2/33/0

Week 7 - 4/61/0

Week 8 - 7/53/0

Week 9 - 3/40/0

He is no different than any random guy on the wire who can have a big week but most are bad. He isnt even rosterable except is name is Keenan Allen. 

What is his use to anyone other than taking up roster space? He isnt a point contributor. I can go over the guys on the wire who have done better than him in that time span, but whats the point you already feel this way you just need someone to tell you its ok to cut him.  

Starting Pascal over him and aint thinking twice, Allen is my cut guy if I need to shed someone.

Either you lost this week and blame Keenan, you have crazy expectations, you've never had Keenan on your team before or some combination of the three.

What did you expect from him? He's on pace for 96-1170-6, which puts him exactly where he's been the last two years. He also always starts slow.

2017 through 9 games 44-596-1

2018 through 9 games 53-687-2

2019 through 9 games 54-657-3

It isn't Keenan, it's your expectations.

FreeBaGeL said:
He was coming off an ACL tear in 2017 though so it makes more sense that things ramped up as the year went on and he got healthier.
How about 2014 where he went 6 weeks without topping 73 yards and had just 1 TD. His next two games he went for 104/1 and 121/2. 

Or 2018 when he went six games without a 100-yard game or a TD, then scored TDs in five games in a row.

He'll get his.

Either you lost this week and blame Keenan, you have crazy expectations, you've never had Keenan on your team before or some combination of the three.

What did you expect from him? He's on pace for 96-1170-6, which puts him exactly where he's been the last two years. He also always starts slow.

2017 through 9 games 44-596-1

2018 through 9 games 53-687-2

2019 through 9 games 54-657-3

It isn't Keenan, it's your expectations.
Yes, it has nothing to do with his waiver wire type performances the past six weeks that you quoted.

Nothing to do with that at all. While the stats all matter, who cares about the bloated stats from one game when the past six is the trend? 

How about 2014 where he went 6 weeks without topping 73 yards and had just 1 TD. His next two games he went for 104/1 and 121/2. 

Or 2018 when he went six games without a 100-yard game or a TD, then scored TDs in five games in a row.

He'll get his.
Why will he get his? Why is this just assumed? 

Talent.

Why did you keep starting Stefon Diggs despite poor games?

Mike Evans?

Odell Beckham?

You're looking for the best players at their positions.

But real football takes precedence over our fantasies. I know it gets annoying, but - sports are not accurately predictable.

Because he's maybe the best route runner in the NFL, has awesome hands, and has a QB who has thrown for 4000 yards six years in a row and is currently leading the league in that statistic. Rivers is on pace to throw for 4600 yards and just 21 TDs; how likely do you think that is?

Because he's maybe the best route runner in the NFL, has awesome hands, and has a QB who has thrown for 4000 yards six years in a row and is currently leading the league in that statistic. Rivers is on pace to throw for 4600 yards and just 21 TDs; how likely do you think that is?
Rivers may not be forcing the ball this year since he has quality targets all over the field at the moment.   Allen should be a WR 1 most weeks and most of us start him based on that potential.   FF is about making the right decisions and being right more than you are wrong.  Allen is still a right decision.   

Yes, it has nothing to do with his waiver wire type performances the past six weeks that you quoted.

Nothing to do with that at all. While the stats all matter, who cares about the bloated stats from one game when the past six is the trend? 
It's interesting, he's barely a wr4 the past 6 weeks. The #1 receiver by far the first three, wr12 for the year. 

You can emphasize whatever you like. 

Its unfortunate that he's been struggling/underutilized these last few weeks, but he's still a WR1/2 in my opinion. He's just in a slump, it happens. He's got some nice matchups coming up, and is always better late in the season. 

So regretting starting him again. Should have listened to my gut. Bum. 
That's a tough call.   He is going to be on benches after this game though.   I can make that decision when TY returns.   It's all about your other options.  

Allen was open often.  Rivers overthrew him a few times.  Should have been an easy 100 yard night.   Rivers needs to retire.   It's over.  
I mean, I wouldn't go that far(have you seen some of the QB's being started this season) but its clear that Rivers is no longer a franchise QB, and is more of a C+ level guy. 

Still, this is another effort where you look at Allen and just keep trotting him out again next week. The targets are there, the talent is there, it just hasn't come together like it should be. 

Keenan Allen caught 8-of-11 targets for 68 yards in the Chargers' Week 10 loss to the Raiders, adding an 18-yard carry.

Entering the game in an inexplicable fantasy slump, Allen's eight grabs were his most since Week 3. The intended target on two of Philip Rivers' three picks, Allen also lost a 30-yard reception to a Chargers holding penalty, though he regained most of that one play later. Including tonight, Allen has actually cleared 10 targets in 3-of-4 games, but he has only 222 receiving yards over his past four games. For whatever reason, this seems to happen almost every year. Allen gets an improving Chiefs pass defense for Week 11 in Mexico City.

Nov 8, 2019, 12:06 AM ET

This team doesnt throw to WRs anymore
I didn't watch last night nor other Chargers games, but is it Rivers/playcalling, or the OL not giving him enough time to get the ball downfield and he has to check down to his RBs and Henry?

I didn't watch last night nor other Chargers games, but is it Rivers/playcalling, or the OL not giving him enough time to get the ball downfield and he has to check down to his RBs and Henry?
I watched most of last nights game.  I don't know about the past games, but they were consistently getting beat on the edge.  Rivers was hit as he threw twice and one resulted in an interception.  One interception was Rivers locking onto receiver regardless of defense and that one was pretty bad.

I mean, I wouldn't go that far(have you seen some of the QB's being started this season) but its clear that Rivers is no longer a franchise QB, and is more of a C+ level guy. 

Still, this is another effort where you look at Allen and just keep trotting him out again next week. The targets are there, the talent is there, it just hasn't come together like it should be. 
His stat line hit his projection. Fine with me. He was also overthrown more than a couple times and had a long gain called back by penalty. Almost a huge game, but that seems to be the trend lately.

Gotta keep rolling him out there. Especially next week in a potential track meet with KC.

He was targeted 14 times:

• 8 receptions
  • 29 yard gain called back due to holding
  • 2 defensive penalties - 1 DPI and 1 defensive holding
  • 3 incompletions, 2 of which were interceptions
He also had a rushing attempt. He along with Gordon were the focal points of the offense. If I had him, I would certainly start him next week.

He was targeted 14 times:

• 8 receptions
  • 29 yard gain called back due to holding
  • 2 defensive penalties - 1 DPI and 1 defensive holding
  • 3 incompletions, 2 of which were interceptions
He also had a rushing attempt. He along with Gordon were the focal points of the offense. If I had him, I would certainly start him next week.
I'm not sure I would say focal point until desperation mode at the end.  7 of those targets were on the last 2 drives where they were slinging it around.  He had like 30 yards with 10 minutes left in the game.

Was good to see him getting some looks though.  He could have done more damage if Rivers had some time to stand in the pocket.  It just seems to be something different every week.  Whether it's no time for Rivers to throw, the defense having a really good game that makes them not have to throw, Ekeler hogging a ton of targets one week, Henry hogging a ton of targets another.  Eventually there will be another "Keenan Allen game" where it's all Keenan all day.

I'm not sure I would say focal point until desperation mode at the end.  7 of those targets were on the last 2 drives where they were slinging it around.  He had like 30 yards with 10 minutes left in the game.

Was good to see him getting some looks though.  He could have done more damage if Rivers had some time to stand in the pocket.  It just seems to be something different every week.  Whether it's no time for Rivers to throw, the defense having a really good game that makes them not have to throw, Ekeler hogging a ton of targets one week, Henry hogging a ton of targets another.  Eventually there will be another "Keenan Allen game" where it's all Keenan all day.
I'd agree with this. I always find it puzzling when teams have a guy like Allen, and don't get him established immediately. For all the talk of establishing the run, I think getting WR's going early is actually much more important, and makes it much easier to run later. 

Its especially odd with Allen, because he seems to always get open whenever they are in hurry up, or need a key 1st down. Why wait for when you need it?

Allen should have probably had 150 yards last night, but Chargers gonna Charger I guess. Other than maybe the Steelers, no team lays predictable eggs quite like them.

Agree. Only thing you left out was blame for Rivers, which last night was largely the case since he was totally inaccurate for much of the game. Balls were sailing in him. They just looked funky coming out of his hand. On the first drive, the 1st Int was a pass to Allen that should have been a wide open positive yardage play with a possible TD - instead Rivers sailed it over his head by a yard & it was an easy pick. 

14 targets is a lot. 8 receptions is a lot.  Allen was the target hog last night, Rivers just kinda sucked.

i agree that Allen will have another monster game or two - with that target share it seems inevitable. 

The officiating was also pretty abysmal last night as well. Phantom penalties & missed blatant calls (last play of the game on 4th down, a defender obviously grabbed Rivers facemask with no flag).

I’’m not saying “those raiders always get all the calls!” as that would be both ridiculous & hilarious. But it did factor in to some of the weird drives, and it clearly had Rivers frustrated. You could tell because there was even more spittle & expletives pouring out of his helmet than normal. ;)  

Keenan Allen caught 8-of-12 targets for 71 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers' Week 11 loss to the Chiefs.

Allen tied Austin Ekeler (8-108) for the team lead in targets, but it was Allen who caught Philip Rivers' lone touchdown pass. It was Allen's first touchdown and most yards since Week 3. It was a much-needed slump-busting game for the slot man. He's drawn double-digit targets in four of the last five games and will now head into the bye before a road date with the Broncos. Allen had just four catches for 18 scoreless yards against Denver in Week 5.

Nov 19, 2019, 12:10 AM ET

Week 4 - 5/48/0

Week 5 - 4/18/0

Week 6 - 2/33/0

Week 7 - 4/61/0

Week 8 - 7/53/0

Week 9 - 3/40/0

Quality analysis right here.

Quality analysis right here.
So he didnt have those stats those weeks? The analysis is he isnt any different than a guy on the wire. Is he? 

Only here can a dude put up 16 and 21 after all those weeks of stink and think all is well as he heads into his week 12 bye and come with the gotcha after two average weeks. lol Still finished behind Devante Parker, Randall Cobb and Deebo Samuel this week and my point is he isnt doing better than any scrub on the wire. Jakeem grant got 2 points less.

Where are his multiple 30 point weeks that make him a must own? Only one 30 point game on the year but 5 games of 10 or less. To compare him to a player like MThomas....Thomas has 0 games less than 16 points and 3 games above 30. Ones a stud, the other is an average WR if that. 

Kirk had as many TDs Allen had all year last week alone. Gets his 1st TD since week 3 and he is a stud again. Kirk had more points last week then Allen in the last 2 weeks combine. Hey Allen has 4 TDs to Kirks 3, who played 3 less games and didnt get his first TD to last week. Perspective.

8/71/1 gets you forgiven for your 6+ weeks of stink in a row. Any quality analysis from you other than you love brand names regardless of consistency. 

Allen is still droppable, especially for people who need a roster spot in a week they need a win if they are in the playoff hunt as Allen wont do a thing against Denver in week 13. So again, the next 2 weeks will be less than 10 points for his owner.

Allen is still droppable, especially for people who need a roster spot in a week they need a win if they are in the playoff hunt as Allen wont do a thing against Denver in week 13. So again, the next 2 weeks will be less than 10 points for his owner.
Please, Allen is not droppable.  He was certainly disappointing for a month but FF is unpredictable for most players.   Denver is a tough match up but he should get enough targets to put up some numbers.   The difference between Allen and some guy off the wire that had one big week, is that Allen will get targets most games while the guy from the wire goes back to nothing.   

So he didnt have those stats those weeks? The analysis is he isnt any different than a guy on the wire. Is he? 

Only here can a dude put up 16 and 21 after all those weeks of stink and think all is well as he heads into his week 12 bye and come with the gotcha after two average weeks. lol Still finished behind Devante Parker, Randall Cobb and Deebo Samuel this week and my point is he isnt doing better than any scrub on the wire. Jakeem grant got 2 points less.

Where are his multiple 30 point weeks that make him a must own? Only one 30 point game on the year but 5 games of 10 or less. To compare him to a player like MThomas....Thomas has 0 games less than 16 points and 3 games above 30. Ones a stud, the other is an average WR if that. 

Kirk had as many TDs Allen had all year last week alone. Gets his 1st TD since week 3 and he is a stud again. Kirk had more points last week then Allen in the last 2 weeks combine. Hey Allen has 4 TDs to Kirks 3, who played 3 less games and didnt get his first TD to last week. Perspective.

8/71/1 gets you forgiven for your 6+ weeks of stink in a row. Any quality analysis from you other than you love brand names regardless of consistency. 

Quit while you're behind. Its okay to say you wre wrong. Or just ghost the thread like most people do until he has a bad game and then start again.

Users who are viewing this thread