What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (1 Viewer)

I traded for him last year and gave up a pick this year that ended up being #20. If I were selling him I'd want to get pick #10 or better. I'd say #7 overall is about right.

This guy looks like the real deal for TD leagues and if he gets his hands on the ball 4 times a game his yardage numbers could be outstanding IMO. I'd be looking for a top ten pick without doubt.

Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant - WR - Steelers

Steelers OC Todd Haley expects a second-year leap from WR Martavis Bryant.

Beat writer Mark Kaboly expects Bryant to be "given every opportunity" to unseat Markus Wheaton for the No. 2 job behind Antonio Brown. There's no denying Bryant has gobs more talent than Wheaton and a sky-high ceiling. "He is a guy we are going to work real hard throughout the offseason and, like all young players, he should make progress from year one to year two," said Haley. Bryant (6'4/211) is an elite red-zone option and has a chance to double his targets from his rookie season (48) after playing just 306 snaps. He's a high-upside WR3.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Mar 19 - 8:31 AM
Steelers OC: Martavis Bryant to push for No. 2 WR role

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh SteelersA healthy scratch the first six weeks of the season, Bryant injected life into the Steelers' offense by repeatedly smoking cornerbacks deep and finally fulfilling Ben Roethlisberger's wishes for a red-zone weapon with size and length. A smooth athlete, Bryant offers an easy 39-inch vertical and 4.42 speed not often seen in a 6-foot-4 wideout. He's an obvious field-stretcher with the innate ability to track the ball in the air.

To the surprise of no one, the fourth-round pick was a rudimentary route runner, essentially limited to go routes, bubble screens and end-zone fades. As the No. 3 receiver, he was afforded the luxury of feasting on mismatches against subpackage corners en route to eight touchdowns in 10 games.

The Question: Will he remain a one-trick pony?

Lacking polish, Bryant benefited from stacked sets that allowed him to escape the jam at the line of scrimmage. He'll need to bulk up to win more often at the catch point and break tackles on screens and slants. His most important mandate is to master Todd Haley's offense and hone his route running, allowing him to develop into a complete receiver.

Comparison: Chris Henry

Excerpt:

Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh SteelersA healthy scratch the first six weeks of the season, Bryant injected life into the Steelers' offense by repeatedly smoking cornerbacks deep and finally fulfilling Ben Roethlisberger's wishes for a red-zone weapon with size and length. A smooth athlete, Bryant offers an easy 39-inch vertical and 4.42 speed not often seen in a 6-foot-4 wideout. He's an obvious field-stretcher with the innate ability to track the ball in the air.

To the surprise of no one, the fourth-round pick was a rudimentary route runner, essentially limited to go routes, bubble screens and end-zone fades. As the No. 3 receiver, he was afforded the luxury of feasting on mismatches against subpackage corners en route to eight touchdowns in 10 games.

Lacking polish, Bryant benefited from stacked sets that allowed him to escape the jam at the line of scrimmage. He'll need to bulk up to win more often at the catch point and break tackles on screens and slants. His most important mandate is to master Todd Haley's offense and hone his route running, allowing him to develop into a complete receiver.

He can be a very productive 1 trick pony with AB on the other side. His upside is rather scary if he gets route running down though. I'd say we basically saw his floor last year, not the TD rate but overall what he can do, as long as Antonio stays on the other side of the field.

Excerpt:

Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh Steelers

A healthy scratch the first six weeks of the season, Bryant injected life into the Steelers' offense by repeatedly smoking cornerbacks deep and finally fulfilling Ben Roethlisberger's wishes for a red-zone weapon with size and length. A smooth athlete, Bryant offers an easy 39-inch vertical and 4.42 speed not often seen in a 6-foot-4 wideout. He's an obvious field-stretcher with the innate ability to track the ball in the air.

He can be a very productive 1 trick pony with AB on the other side. His upside is rather scary if he gets route running down though. I'd say we basically saw his floor last year, not the TD rate but overall what he can do, as long as Antonio stays on the other side of the field.
He's the prototypical WR2. If that matters anymore in today's NFL. Long, fast and capable of taking the top off any defense to make a big play. You simply have to respect his downfield abilit if you're a D coordinator. He needs a guy able to run the underneath stuff and deter attention, though. Pitt is in a great spot with Brown/Bryant.

The way Ben is able to extend plays just adds to the missery of opposing defenses.

Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant - WR - Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger says he's seen "growth" in second-year WR Martavis Bryant this offseason.

Bryant spent the spring learning mixed-martial arts to improve his hand usage at the line of scrimmage, and added ten pounds of muscle. "I have seen a guy that wants to be good, wants to be great," Big Ben said. "Every day he is working at his craft and talking to me about things he can improve on. You just see him continuing to grow and learn from the best in the business who is in his room in Antonio (Brown)." Bryant scored eight TDs in ten games as a rookie, despite playing well under half of the Steelers' offensive snaps. He has WR2 upside in year two.

Source: steelers.com

Jun 9 - 8:06 PM

His buzz is too strong to keep him reasonably attainable. I suspect his adp is out of reach for me by the time i draft.

This kid appears motivated. Every article I read is a different way he is working on his craft. Certainly not complacent.
he wants to be great. Added 10 lbs bulk and has been running routes in sand, also the mma mixed martial arts will help him battle with cbs. He Wants to be great and isn't happy being a wr2/3. He has legit 4.3 speed on field if you ask me. them 2 80 plus yard tds he leaves guy absolutely in the dust. I dont see why he can't be 70-1100-12 this year easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant said he now weight 225 pounds with 4 percent body fat.

Bryant weighed 200 pounds while at Clemson and 211 at his 2014 Combine. Now up to 225 on his 6-foot-4 frame, he's in the process of becoming a more well-rounded wideout. Data shows that while running backs lose efficiency as they add weight, receivers and tight ends get better -- especially in the red zone. As a raw rookie, Bryant averaged 54.9 yards and 0.8 touchdowns per game despite only playing on 47.2 percent of the snaps. Adding size should help ensure his excellent red-zone efficiency doesn't end up as a fluke.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Jul 27 - 11:48 AM

Getting bigger and stronger sounds like a good thing despite the David Boston case study. 6'4 200 lbs is a bit skinny for a 16 game NFL schedule. 6'4 225 with a muscular frame sounds more ideal. It also indicates a dedication to his craft and to getting better. I think this is great news for MB owners and Steeler fans.

ChuckLiddell said:
Charles Robinson is a Senior NFL Reporter for Yahoo. Dont know anything more about him, but he is apparently present at the Steelers practices today. Has been tweeting about them and had this to say about MB...

User Actions
FollowCharles RobinsonVerified account@CharlesRobinsonMartavis Bryant is going to be a star this year for the #Steelers. He looks amazing. Absolutely has made big strides this offseason. #NFL
I can't quite make out what this says. Do you mind posting in a bigger font next time.

Bryant was someone i liked b/f this came out. Now, assuming the hype train continues, unfortunately he will prob be drafted too high.

4% body fat? That's a negative, not s positive.
Outside of a potentially compromised immune system, which is an easy work around, how is it a negative?
Fat helps estrogen production which is needed for joint health and collagen.

Im NOT saying its a bad overall result (the 4% currently <<< it wont stay at 4%, no way) just that it can have some offsets.

As you also have a host of other healthy benefits from a balanced level of estrogen, though as an athlete it may be of lesser current consequence.

a big muscle/weight is to me a huge red flag

the muscle was gained quickly, his ligaments and tendons are carrying that weight and often IMO .... that will lead to an injury

not all the time, maybe I'm wrong.... I bet he misses time due to injury sooner than later

a big muscle/weight is to me a huge red flag

the muscle was gained quickly, his ligaments and tendons are carrying that weight and often IMO .... that will lead to an injury

not all the time, maybe I'm wrong.... I bet he misses time due to injury sooner than later
I will take your side of that bet...on any player in the NFL.

Remember he is real young and his body may not have even been done developing. This does not frighten me personally. But I still agree that he will miss time due to injury at some point.

ETA: Original post on this topic stated that he was 211 at the '14 combine. He has gained what would appear to be 14 lbs of muscle if his claim of 225 with 4% body fat is accurate. I am not a gym rat or a trainer, but that doesnt seem like anything to worry about to me. I could be mistaken.

Im seriously considering paying full price for Bryant right now. I have 3 first rounders and 2 seconds. In terms of picks, how many do you give up for Bryant right now? these are 2016 picks, all potentially high picks.

Im seriously considering paying full price for Bryant right now. I have 3 first rounders and 2 seconds. In terms of picks, how many do you give up for Bryant right now? these are 2016 picks, all potentially high picks.
I feel like on the surface a potentially early 1st and 2nd should get him given the fact that he will likely play the next 3-4 years as a WR2 on his own team.

That said, as a MB owner I dont think I would take that offer right now. All the news is just too encouraging right now. I know it is an awesome sell high opportunity, but I still thik it would take two 1s for me to pull the trigger. Tough to evaluate right now. He only has 26 career catches!

I attempted to sell him for a 2016 first and was declined so I'm not sure in my league I could get a first for him.

I'm kind of regretting selling him and 1.08 for 1.03. Sure it was great to move up, but all this news is making me think I sold kind of low. Still a solid price I think, but if he proves to be a consistent WR2 beside AB then his price starts soaring.

Users who are viewing this thread