What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Lockett, SEA (1 Viewer)

No I was just asking not being snarky. I hate to hear that. Lockett was one of my favorite players......ugh. I watch the play and the injury is brutal I just thought a broken leg would be something he could come back 100% from. I'm pretty ignorant on these thing though......
it honestly depends on how ridiculous the surgery is. he could be just fine or it could be a huge repair that needs a long period of non weight bearing. that's the problem. .. how long will he be non weight bearing getting weaker and weaker

Dr. Brew said:
not sure if this is a snarky question or not, but no I do believe he will have lost a step. for instance look at Jordy nelson. any packer fan can tell you he doesn't look the same. 

when you have such a catastrophic injury (watch the replay),  the rehab and recovery will be very limited. you're talking potentially 10 months of total recovery. he will likely be rushed back after 8-9. 

try this, put your knee in an immobilizer for 8 weeks, non weight bearing. then use crutches for a month or two. then gradually start running and strengthening it. then you tell me if after 8 months you feel like your same self. it happens all the time with athletic injuries but the degree of locketts injury makes me wonder what he exactly damaged and how long he's going to have to stay off his leg. this isn't a standard acl injury or broken bone
I'm curious what kind of numbers Jordy would of post if he did look like the old Jordy.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-says-wr-tyler-lockett-has-great-surgery-to-repair-broken-tibia-and-fibula/

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says WR Tyler Lockett has ‘great surgery’ to repair broken tibia and fibula

Seahawks receiver Tyler Lockett had surgery Saturday night to repair a broken right fibula and tibia suffered in the second quarter of a 34-31 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, coach Pete Carroll said Monday during his weekly radio show on ESPN 710 Seattle.

Lockett was injured when tackled at the end of a 28-yard reception near the goal line by Arizona’s Brandon Williams.

Carroll said because bones broke through the skin there was some worry about infection and the surgery was done as quickly as possible. Carroll said the surgery, which included putting a rod in the leg to secure it, wasn’t completed until 4 a.m. Sunday.

But Carroll said all went well, calling it “a great surgery’’ and said Lockett could be “up and moving and working’’ in 4-6 weeks. “He’s got a chance to have a great recovery,’’ Carroll said, predicting “he’ll beat all the time records on time frames coming back.”
That wouldn’t mean Lockett could play again this season, and it’s likely the team will put him on injured reserve to open up a spot on the 53-man roster.

But the fact that Lockett could be up and working out that quickly would seem to bode well for a recovery for the 2017 season.

Carroll said the injury was “above his ankle’’ and said it was the “tibia and fibula.’’

@Dr. Brew  Being up and about that quickly seems like a best case scenario. What do you think?
above the ankle is great. at . ankle is basically a shattered ankle and a nightmare. if he's allowed to walk it was an easyish fix. I am treating someone with the same scenario. going well. should bode well for the future that's for sure 

Last edited by a moderator:
Be a great Onion article:

Head coach reports surgery couldn't have gone worse.

"I don't understand what happened", said Carroll, "but this kid will be lucky to walk without a limp."

I mean, I guess we want to hear a surgery is successful, but if it wasn't, we wouldn't hear it. Now Lockett had a "great" surgery? Ha.

above the ankle is great. at . ankle is basically a shattered ankle and a nightmare. if he's allowed to walk it was an easyish fix. I am treating someone with the same scenario. going well. should bode well for the future that's for sure 
Thanks. I'm personally breathing a sigh of relief. I am convinced from watching this kid play that he's going to be a superstar. Good to see he probably will have a full recovery.

Thanks. I'm personally breathing a sigh of relief. I am convinced from watching this kid play that he's going to be a superstar. Good to see he probably will have a full recovery.
I'm a big fan as well. 

I'll say this though... when it comes to the tib/fib it's been my experience that roughly 80% of people (regular folks) have the hardware removed at some point because it gets loose and/or is bothersome. specifically on a tendon. now this us usually more in the ankle area but higher in the lower leg could still pose a potential problem. since it's higher I'm not too worried about it (there are less tendons higher) but thought I'd mention it in case this is an issue and then I can pat myself on the back... although this wouldn't come for at least a year

From the doctor that performed the surgery I assume.

Then, Dr. David Chao tweeted about the injury, “May not be 100% at start of 2017 season. Horrific injury, but good prognosis.” 

I hate to hear he might not be ready for the start of the season but at least there's a good chance of a full recovery. Get better Tyler.

I wonder how much internal damage was done. It was a gruesome injury. You almost need to be concerned about potential compartment syndrome depending on the amount of surgery/damage. That would complicate things. Sucks. This kid had all the potential in the world to be the next big thing at WR. Percy Harvin without the migraines 

I drafted Lockett in my dynasty rookie drafts and held him through his injuries this year because I thought he was going to break into the top 25 dynasty WRs NLT next season. I now think he is droppable, at least in my leagues (for 32 team leagues, leagues that roster 30+ players, etc., he would still be an obvious hold). Two reasons:

1. I thought the Seahawks passing offense was going to take a significant step forward this season, building upon the last half of last season. It didn't happen for two primary reasons: injuries (notably Wilson and Lockett) and terrible OL play (where OL play likely contributed to the Wilson injuries). My confidence in the Seattle brain trust and how they choose to handle their OL is a lot lower today than it was before the season, and I think that dims the long term prospects for this passing offense from a fantasy perspective.

2. Lockett was effectively not usable in fantasy this season. Now he is very unlikely to be 100% before mid to late 2017 season. That effectively means he won't be fantasy usable for his first 3 seasons in the league (not including return yardage leagues). It is pretty rare for a WR to break out in his 4th season or later, especially in a low volume passing offense. It could happen, but, where I once thought the odds were good, I now think they are poor.

As a result, I will move on from him this offseason, though I am still a big fan of his NFL-wise.

I drafted Lockett in my dynasty rookie drafts and held him through his injuries this year because I thought he was going to break into the top 25 dynasty WRs NLT next season. I now think he is droppable, at least in my leagues (for 32 team leagues, leagues that roster 30+ players, etc., he would still be an obvious hold). Two reasons:

1. I thought the Seahawks passing offense was going to take a significant step forward this season, building upon the last half of last season. It didn't happen for two primary reasons: injuries (notably Wilson and Lockett) and terrible OL play (where OL play likely contributed to the Wilson injuries). My confidence in the Seattle brain trust and how they choose to handle their OL is a lot lower today than it was before the season, and I think that dims the long term prospects for this passing offense from a fantasy perspective.

2. Lockett was effectively not usable in fantasy this season. Now he is very unlikely to be 100% before mid to late 2017 season. That effectively means he won't be fantasy usable for his first 3 seasons in the league (not including return yardage leagues). It is pretty rare for a WR to break out in his 4th season or later, especially in a low volume passing offense. It could happen, but, where I once thought the odds were good, I now think they are poor.

As a result, I will move on from him this offseason, though I am still a big fan of his NFL-wise.
If I wasn't confident that Graham is gone this offseason I would agree with some of this. I have a good source close to the organization that says Graham is gone after this year. He wants out. You can laugh if you want but the guy has been on the money most of the time when it comes to the seahawks. If they put that money into the OL and Lockett comebacks healthy I still see a path to being a top end WR for him. They have to know they need to build that team through Wilson. New OC and upgraded OL. I can't see them wasting Wilson forever......

Injury is brutal though. Lockett was one of my favorite players so I might just be having a hard time letting go. LOLOL

They used Lockett way better in the last month of the season, putting him ahead of Kearse. He is their biggest play maker. It makes sense to get him involved any way that they can. I am potentially keeping him for next season with a low draft pick. I think he has potential to finish top 15. Especially of Graham is gone. I know he wasn't happy to begin with going to Seattle so I can see Milkman's source's information as very plausible. 

Seahawks | Tyler Lockett suffers broken leg

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Updating a previous report, Seattle Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett (leg) suffered a broken leg in the Week 16 game against the Arizona Cardinals, head coach Pete Carroll confirmed Sunday, Dec. 24. Lockett needs surgery and is obviously done for the season

Seahawks | Big game for Tyler Lockett

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Seattle Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett had seven catches for 130 yards and a touchdown in a 24-3 win over the Los Angeles Rams Thursday, Dec. 15

Tyler Lockett comes back to earth Week 1...

(RotoworldTyler Lockett caught 4-of-6 targets for 41 yards and rushed twice for 15 yards Week 14 against the Packers. Analysis: Lockett saw his customary six targets in this game, just like he has in four of his last five contests, but he was not able to create any big plays with Russell Wilson struggling. It might be a different case Thursday night against the Rams, but Lockett is nothing more than an upside WR4 who has hit his upside just once this season

Tyler Lockett totals 138 yards, TD in wi...

(RotoworldTyler Lockett caught 5-of-6 passes for 63 yards and scored on a 75-yard run in Week 13 against the Panthers. Analysis: It's a nice rebound after Lockett was held without a catch on six targets last week. Lockett had multiple chunk plays, ripping off a 40-yard screen in addition to his 75-yard run. He was still the No. 4 option behind Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin, and Jermaine Kearse. Lockett is an upside WR4 against the Packers in Week 14.

Tyler Lockett catch-less on six targets ...

(RotoworldTyler Lockett did not catch any of his six targets Week 12 against the Bucs. Analysis: Lockett's only touch came on a carry early in the game, but it was not really his fault. Russell Wilson just missed him downfield on several throws including what would have been an elusive third-down conversion. Lockett was also the target on Wilson's game-ending interception. Wilson should play better moving forward, but Lockett is not getting consistent enough targets to trust in standard-sized leagues

Tyler Lockett 'flying again...

(Rotoworld) Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Tyler Lockett is "flying again." Analysis: Lockett had his best game of the season against the Patriots last week, turning six targets into three catches for 73 yards. "Hes finally back and running fast and confident," Carroll said. "Hes played through some stuff. He wasnt quite 100 percent. You can see, hes flying again." Lockett has not proven consistent enough to be anything but a dart-throw WR4, but there are worse ways to spend a bench spot

Sorry for the formatting, but i thought it would be good to preserve that history. He got dinged early in the season and wasn't full speed and was behind kearse until Carroll declared him ready week 11. He got 6 targets the next game - and caught none - but it sounds like it was more on wilson than lockett. The following week, he blew up. The 3 fully healthy weeks before he got hurt week 16, he had over 300 yards and 2 tds. 

Obviously from my previous post, I am skeptical that Lockett will be healthy enough to be usable in fantasy for most or all of next season. If reports are good throughout the offseason and if he can get on the field and look good in preseason, I would still view him as a hold. Just not sure if I can hang on that long in my dynasty leagues.

If next season amounts to a lost season, then you are holding for 2018, meaning two offseasons for change (e.g., Carroll retires, Bevell leaves, running game improves, other quality targets leave and/or are brought in, etc.).

Any updated dynasty thoughts here?  Time to buy, or still worried about a full recovery?

JFS171 said:
Any updated dynasty thoughts here?  Time to buy, or still worried about a full recovery?
He may never be the same so still worried but I haven't heard of any set backs. I wouldn't sell him myself though because I still value him more than most owners so I'm not going to get what I think he's worth. I still think if he's fully healthy he can be a top 10 WR in this league but that won't be until next year or if Baldwin or Graham are lost for the season. Jimmy Graham is likely gone after this season though......then his target share should increase.....

flysack said:
Carroll saying Lockett is the #2 WR paired with Kearse being traded  = bump Lockett?
Nah...hes a bit player and paul Richardson was out performing him....lockett and Richardson are both waiver wire fodder in traditional redraft anyway

Nah...hes a bit player and paul Richardson was out performing him....lockett and Richardson are both waiver wire fodder in traditional redraft anyway
I don't know if you were watching this closely and really think that or if you're kind of piecing together what you remember, but here's what i saw happen. 

Richardson was drafted 3 years ago in the second round. He had a mediocre rookie year (29/271/1) and went to the playoffs, but tore his acl in the first round of the playoffs.   He came back in 2015, caught one pass for 40 yards in week 15, hurt his hamstring, and back on it. He played sparingly in 2016 behind lockett, and had 13 catches for 206 yards with no touchdowns when lockett got hurt week 16. He finished with stat lines of 4/42/1 and 4/40 in weeks 16 and 17, and in the playoffs he had games of 3/48/1 (with a one handed touchdown catch on 4th down from the 5) and 4/83. Those were the two most productive games of his 3 year career.

Two years ago, lockett emerged as a third round rookie,  with 32/420/5 in the 8 games after the bye with games of 4/48/2, 7/90, 6/104/2, and 5/55/1. 

He started 2016 with games of 3/17 and 4/99, then got hurt week 3. He continued to play through what turned out to be a misdiagnosed pcl tear. When he finally got better, he had a game with no catches on 6 targets with a 9 yard run, but followed it with games of 138, 56, as 130 total yards with a pair of touchdowns. He then broke his leg week 16.

While lockett was recovering, Richardson moved ahead of kearse, and there was speculation that he'd push for a starting spot.  In the first preseason game he made an awesome layout catch for 25 yards but hurt his ac joint doing it and missed week 2. In week 3 of the preseason he had one catch for 5 yards on 3 targets. 

The Seahawks then moved kearse, have said that lockett is going to be ready to resume his starting job in week 1, and Richardson appears to have ascended to the number 3 spot.  

But while Richardson has a handful of sexy plays - a 40 yard run where he got hurt and went on ir, the one handed touchdown in the playoffs, a couple longer catches in the following playoff git, before he got hurt, and the 25 yard layout catch in preseason where he got hurt, you can see the trend.  He's a guy you like you have on the field but not a guy id invest anything in fantasy.  

If you look at lockett's last 13 games, not counting the pcl recovery, he has 891 total yards and 7 touchdowns.  Those are fantasy starter numbers.  

I may be remembering things too favorably for lockett, so I am interested in hearing it if you really think Richardson is breaking out and passing lockett on the depth chart.  But from where i sit it seems like lockett is a huge value who could be a breakout fantasy stud this year available in the later rounds of drafts.  

I seem to recall during the charger Seahawks preseason game they raved about Richardson in camp and how he did pass Kearse on the depth chart...then of course he banged his shoulder...always seems like wishful thinking on lockett to me ..

Lockett was a top 10 WR "talent" last year starting to break out before his injury. I'll never back down from that statement  he "was" a total stud that was going to push Baldwin and everybody else out of the way. After injury who knows how he's going to perform and with Jimmy Graham getting a little healthier.......Baldwin still there....low volume passing offenes but passes increasing......meh this year.....maybe next when Graham is gone. 

So homers what is the take on him? My Hawks buddy says he still hasn't looked the same since last injury. 

I might buy in dynasty (return yards where he is WR32) for bye week and depth. 

I feel his true value might be unlocked on his second team. 

So homers what is the take on him? My Hawks buddy says he still hasn't looked the same since last injury. 

I might buy in dynasty (return yards where he is WR32) for bye week and depth. 

I feel his true value might be unlocked on his second team. 
I had made a few comments on what to expect from this about 10 months ago. I believe the injury wasn't as bad as it looked as he was bearing weight on it faster than what I had thought he'd be if it were a terribly bad injury, but regardless his bone is still healing believe it or not. Bones heal up to 12-18 months following a fracture. He undoubtedly will look different than last year, because he is still recovering from a cellular standpoint as well as from his speed. 

yeah if he broke his leg he should be fine start of camp but it'll be tough because he will undoubtedly lost some of his speed. I was considering keeping but now since this leg issue I may not because he could come super cheap

not sure if this is a snarky question or not, but no I do believe he will have lost a step. for instance look at Jordy nelson. any packer fan can tell you he doesn't look the same. 

when you have such a catastrophic injury (watch the replay),  the rehab and recovery will be very limited. you're talking potentially 10 months of total recovery. he will likely be rushed back after 8-9. 

try this, put your knee in an immobilizer for 8 weeks, non weight bearing. then use crutches for a month or two. then gradually start running and strengthening it. then you tell me if after 8 months you feel like your same self. it happens all the time with athletic injuries but the degree of locketts injury makes me wonder what he exactly damaged and how long he's going to have to stay off his leg. this isn't a standard acl injury or broken bone

He's quite a tease in general, and will always be third fiddle to Baldwin, Graham, and even Richardson it seems. IMO it's reasonable to say that he will never meet the potential that he could have been. Injury and scenario. Maybe if he gets a change of scenery he can be a viable WR2, but I don't think he will be what many in here thought he'd be. Yes, he's lost a step and yes he will look different. It's bound to happen with really bad breaks like he had. 

100% agree, his potential is much brighter on his second team. I'm sure I'll come back to bite I'm sure

Really like Lockett this year, especially in return leagues. Despite a down year receiving he still managed WR20 in my 0.5ppr return league. 

I think he has a very solid season receiving as there is little comp for targets and cashes in for a modest pay day in FA. 

I just keep watching the play he broke his leg and I see top 10 receiving talent. He just needs the targets. Not sure he gets them this year because Baldwin has such an amazing connection with Wilson. 

Traded the bum
I'm conflicted on him. He's exactly the kind of guy that blows up on your bench.

Doesn't have the volume to be a Top Fantasy Receiver but flashes enough to make you want him on your team.

He's more matchup dependent than anything, imo. But boy, he looks damn good at times.

Poised to potentially have that big breakout people have been hoping for. The stars are aligning.
Maybe.

I love the price point for him right now. 148th overall (round 12) according to this ADP

Graham is gone and Richardson is gone. I think Brandon Marshall is no longer what he was, Jaron Brown is a deep threat type. Seems like the Seahawks need Lockett to step up and be used more in their offense now.

I love Locketts skill set and route running ability. 

Wilson is a great QB and he has started to throw the ball more recently, by plan or necessity or both, but he had 553 pass attempts last season and 546 pass attempts in 2016. With some of the changes to the Seahawks defense this offseason, they look like they will be throwing the ball a lot, if Carrol wants to or not.

So why hasn't Lockett produced more than he has the last two seasons?

Fausts link about Lockett not being fully healthy last season seems like one reasonable explanationm however Lockett played all 16 games and he returned a lot of kicks.

His numbers on offense have actually regressed since his rookie year. That is troubling to me. I don't understand it. I thought he would be an ascending player. He hasn't been.

He had a good stretch of games in 2015 when Jimmy Graham was out of the game. Something I thought might happen again if Graham was out, but nope. He still played behind Kearse in 2016 and then was the 3rd WR again in 2017 with Richardon actually being healthy and playing more than him.

So despite Wilson throwing the ball more, it hasn't helped Lockett yet. I can't even say it was a lack of playing time on offense either. Lockett played on 65% of the offensive snaps last season but was still only 4th in targets.

If Seattle were to take him off kick return duty, even some of it, that would be a good sign that they intend to use him more on offense. Looking at who they have lost and who they have added, I don't really see them having better options.

I don't like that he hasn't managed to improve upon his rookie numbers though. I thought he would have done that by now.

He finished as WR17 last year in my dynasty with return yards. However, he wasn't really a reliable WR2 for the most part, just too many ups and downs. He's been more of a high upside flex/WR3 who doesn't really benefit from easily predictable matchups due to his reliance on return yards and needs to produce more consistently on offense. Good sign that he's fully healthy now, hopefully he can stay that way. 

Maybe.

I love the price point for him right now. 148th overall (round 12) according to this ADP

Graham is gone and Richardson is gone. I think Brandon Marshall is no longer what he was, Jaron Brown is a deep threat type. Seems like the Seahawks need Lockett to step up and be used more in their offense now.

I love Locketts skill set and route running ability. 

Wilson is a great QB and he has started to throw the ball more recently, by plan or necessity or both, but he had 553 pass attempts last season and 546 pass attempts in 2016. With some of the changes to the Seahawks defense this offseason, they look like they will be throwing the ball a lot, if Carrol wants to or not.

So why hasn't Lockett produced more than he has the last two seasons?

Fausts link about Lockett not being fully healthy last season seems like one reasonable explanationm however Lockett played all 16 games and he returned a lot of kicks.

His numbers on offense have actually regressed since his rookie year. That is troubling to me. I don't understand it. I thought he would be an ascending player. He hasn't been.

He had a good stretch of games in 2015 when Jimmy Graham was out of the game. Something I thought might happen again if Graham was out, but nope. He still played behind Kearse in 2016 and then was the 3rd WR again in 2017 with Richardon actually being healthy and playing more than him.

So despite Wilson throwing the ball more, it hasn't helped Lockett yet. I can't even say it was a lack of playing time on offense either. Lockett played on 65% of the offensive snaps last season but was still only 4th in targets.

If Seattle were to take him off kick return duty, even some of it, that would be a good sign that they intend to use him more on offense. Looking at who they have lost and who they have added, I don't really see them having better options.

I don't like that he hasn't managed to improve upon his rookie numbers though. I thought he would have done that by now.
Yes, all about cost. Of course with the cheap price tag comes a lot of wart on his resume. For me it as simple as super athletic young receiver taking over the #2 WR role on a team with a great QB, a declining defense and who just lost 198 targets from their offense. As for last season, I think Paul Richardson is just a better player than we are giving him credit for. 

Yes, all about cost. Of course with the cheap price tag comes a lot of wart on his resume. For me it as simple as super athletic young receiver taking over the #2 WR role on a team with a great QB, a declining defense and who just lost 198 targets from their offense. As for last season, I think Paul Richardson is just a better player than we are giving him credit for. 
Yeah I will be looking to take Lockett this year and perhaps a bit higher than his current ADP if I think I have to.

When looking at a expert draft last night, Lockett was picked somewhere in the 80's of that draft. Much higher than the ADP. I am not that bullish on him because he hasn't gotten it done when I think he should have.

Maybe Lockett doesn't block well?

Does Wilson not like targeting Lockett?He played a lot of snaps. Lockett's comments from Fausts link, he mentions not getting open enough.

I really didn't understand why Kearse was starting over him. Maybe RIchardson is better than I think. I have barely seen him play. He was injured and out for the most part before last season.

Richardson is really good. Crazy fast, already one of the best deep threats in the league. I haven't seen a ton of Seahawks games, but quite a few and lots of late Red Zone Channel and I think he's one of the most underrated WRs out there. Wanted the Packers to sign him as Nelson's successor (and he does remind me of Nelson in his early years, just a bit less refined in his route running), good move by the Redskins. 

What's everybody's thoughts on Lockett this year? He looks like he's getting a significant bump in targets with Richardson gone......

I'm concerned he will never be what he was before the injury but I'm not a doctor and have no idea about that injury. 

with regards to his injury, it's pretty catastrophic. I believe I made a comment somewhere in here regarding how awful this is, and hopefully provided some skepticism on his 2017 outlook. I like him 18 months post injury more than i liked him 9 months post. 

18 months is plenty of time to put in the effort to get back to preinjury status. the question is has he? I like his opportunity. Richardson and Graham are gone. that's a lot of targets and TDs up for grabs. granted Seattle wants to run more but there will be plenty for Lockett.

Many people are judging and valuing Lockett on his 2017 performance. Big mistake and I chalk 2017 up as a lost season in recovery like I do Mariota and Carr, and like I would for Dalvin Cook if he has a down year. These bad injuries slow you down big time and really need 12 months to recover from. If he doesnt take the leap in 2018 he likely never does.

in a different thread someone compared the first 3 seasons of Lockett to other notable Seattle WRs. Baldwin being one. the stats were identical. 

buy while you can before training camp starts and the hype begins. 

Users who are viewing this thread