What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Lockett, SEA (1 Viewer)

I think people may be overlooking this aspect. While Lockett’s dropoff could be Wilson missing Lockett deep or Lockett still not 100%, there is also the possibility that Russell likes to throw to the rookie. Lockett will rarely drop anything, but for him to be productive, Russ needs to put the ball where it needs to be. Metcalf is such a freak of nature that Russ can probably just put in his vicinity, and this helps a lot if he doesn’t have a lot of time to throw.

In this offense, there has rarely been a lot of volume to go around, and if Metcalf is getting his, there’s not a lot left to go around.
I think the bolded is the complete opposite of reality. A logical fallacy based on looking at the player's size alone.

Lockett constantly sucks in passes anywhere near him like a vacuum. I believe according to next Gen stats he has the catch that was the least likely to be completed of any in the NFL this year and another one in the top 5.

Metcalf is a burner but he regularly fails to come down with contested catches and balls that are within reach of him. 

I don't have access to pff premium but maybe someone that does could comment on the contested catch rate of each. My guess is that Lockett's is better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bolded is the complete opposite of reality. A logical fallacy based on looking at the player's size alone.

Lockett constantly sucks in passes anywhere near him like a vacuum. I believe according to next Gen stats he has the catch that was the least likely to be completed of any in the NFL this year and another one in the top 5.

Metcalf is a burner but he regularly fails to come down with contested catches and balls that are within reach of him. 

I don't have access to pff premium but maybe someone that does could comment on the contested catch rate of each. My guess is that Lockett's is better. 
Contested catch rates:

• Lockett 45.5% on 11 targets = 5 contested catches
  • Metcalf 42.1% on 19 targets = 8 contested catches
I don't see much of a difference there.

ETA: Interesting to see those same links showing Metcalf with a slightly higher hog rate. 

Looking forward to my "I'm starting _____ over T. Lockett" post this week.

Insert B. Perriman, I. Ford, etc.
Pretty sure it’s going to be Slayton for me. Just can’t count of Lockett for anything. Not getting enough looks and the ones he’s getting aren’t very good. Wilson has been getting pressured a lot more and his accuracy has not been fantastic.

Wilson was under relentless pressure Sunday and it left him without time to get the ball deep. He just missed Lockett on one long pass that might have changed the narrative in this thread.  I am worried too but will be playing him this coming week.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Tyler Lockett is "back to full strength."

Carroll typically uses a glass half-full mentality when speaking with the media, and his optimism on Lockett is no different. Even at full health, however, the fact is Lockett's totaled 8/107 receiving in four straight weeks, being held to fewer than 50 yards in all four contests. He may be over his illness entirely, but Lockett obviously can't be trusted as anything more than a low-end WR3 in Week 15 given his diminishing opportunity combined with Seattle's run-first mentality.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 3:52 PM ET

Interesting viewpoints shared by Lockett here

Lockett dealt with a leg contusion and the flu in Weeks 10, 12 and 13, but what was the issue against the Rams? How was Los Angeles able to keep Wilson to 245 yards and no touchdowns and Lockett to just four receptions for 43 yards?

"I just think that we've been running the ball more," Lockett said. "We haven't been focused much on trying to air-raid the ball like we kind of did earlier on. I think a lot of teams are trying to force us to run the ball instead of trying to force the throw all the time. We've been taking what teams give us to run the ball early on."

That, right there, is alarming. Championship caliber teams should be able to dictate the tempo beyond just taking what a defense gives them, especially when trailing 21-3 in a pivotal primetime matchup. Seattle had every chance to get back into the contest. The defense cleaned things up at halftime, only giving up seven points over the final two quarters, and even scored a touchdown on Quandre Diggs' pick-six.

But the Seahawks passing game remained anemic from start to finish. It was a low point amid a four-game stretch in which Wilson hasn't topped 245 yards. And this quote from Lockett may be the most concerning of all.

"We haven't been running plays to be explosive," Lockett said. "We've been running plays to run the ball and control the clock. We haven't really been trying to go over the top like we normally have because teams have been game-planning it."

That strategy works in games like Seattle's wins against Philadelphia and Minnesota where the Seahawks defense was stout, and the running game was churning out yards with ease. But when Plan A has to go out the window, as it did in Los Angeles, you have to have a counter punch. The Seahawks simply didn't have one against the Rams.

Perspective is still important as long as Seattle can figure things out in the days leading up to its Week 15 road game against the Panthers. The reality is that the Seahawks, now 10-3, are still in a great spot to win the NFC West if they take care of their own business. That's what Wilson and Lockett chose to focus on following Sunday's eye-opening loss.

"Just let it go," Lockett said of how he plans to handle the defeat. "We've still got three more games. We're in a great position. On to Carolina. Just keep on playing, learn from it and just move on. It's nothing to just sit and nod your head and get mad about."

I'd agree. Sunday's loss wasn't one to lose sleep about. But squandering an opportunity to win the NFC West and ending up with the No. 5 seed in the postseason would be regretful, which is why the Seahawks need a sense of urgency it clearly lacked against the Rams.
I think this is the closest thing to complaining I've heard from Lockett in awhile. Personally I think he'll see more shots than last week considering all reports have James Bradberry shadowing Decaf Metcalf.

The Frankman said:
Interesting viewpoints shared by Lockett here

I think this is the closest thing to complaining I've heard from Lockett in awhile. Personally I think he'll see more shots than last week considering all reports have James Bradberry shadowing Decaf Metcalf.
Maybe I’m biased because I own him but I think he’s right. Hopefully the loss will encourage some change. But knowing the Seahawks not gonna hold my breath.

Sure wish I’d trusted him this week. I should advance to the LCG without him (and was able to grab Mack off the wire, who I flexed instead) but next week’s gonna be a tough decision. 

I started him, looked to be healthy last week.
Yeah, but the lack of targets was disappointing. And Carroll came out & said he was over his flu, and since he’s Pete Happy go Lucky, Captain Optimism when it comes to injury reporting, I have a hard time trusting him.

glad he’s helping you - I’ll start him next week for sure, provided I get there without him.  It looks promising. 

Yeah, but the lack of targets was disappointing. And Carroll came out & said he was over his flu, and since he’s Pete Happy go Lucky, Captain Optimism when it comes to injury reporting, I have a hard time trusting him.

glad he’s helping you - I’ll start him next week for sure, provided I get there without him.  It looks promising. 
Helps that Evans went down and I had no choice, but he was great before the leg injury so I can’t believe there’s any other problem. 

Tyler Lockett submitted eight grabs for 120 yards and a touchdown on nine targets Sunday in the Seahawks’ Week 15 victory over Carolina.

Lockett totaled more yards Sunday than he had in his previous four games combined. He got his day started by reeling in a difficult, 44-yard catch against Donte Jackson in the first quarter. Later he snapped a four-game scoring drought by snagging a second-quarter rocket from Russell Wilson, who found Lockett uncovered in the end zone for a ho-hum 19-yard touchdown. Lockett made sure to pump the brakes on Carolina's second-half comeback bid, extending a fourth-quarter drive with a clutch 14-yard catch on third-and-11. After essentially taking November off, the Lockett of old returned with authority in Week 15. The fifth-year deep threat now needs just six yards to clinch his first 1,000-yard receiving season. He can reach that milestone next week against the Cardinals.

The problem today was that the Cards front four was constantly harassing Wilson and he just didn't have time to look downfield. He didn't hardly get a look until the game was over and those looks were prayers.  

Wilson is too schitzo. Seattle killed a lot of hopes dead this week. 1.7 in HPPR. Took until garbage time for Russ to even look at him and those "targets" were heaves into double/triple coverage.

Gonna be a tough guy to value next year. He’s left us owners with a bad taste in our mouths but has potential for monster games. And hard to say how much injury / illness impacted him during that stretch.

Was great 1st half of the season, and single-handedly created FF losses during the 2nd half of the season. I thought he was one of the best values at WR, but he really failed us down the stretch.

Was great 1st half of the season, and single-handedly created FF losses during the 2nd half of the season. I thought he was one of the best values at WR, but he really failed us down the stretch.
That is true.   Lockett likely cost his owners championships and most of us will not draft him next year.   

He had a great week 15, helping his owners to make the Championship. While he let down today, I don't know how you can discount him next year. 

Was coming down to between him and Dionte Johnson for my last keeper spot. Seahawks probably add some more WR talent in the offseason. Will be a heavy lean towards Dio.

Tyler Lockett caught 1-of-8 targets for 12 yards in the Seahawks' Week 16 loss to the Cardinals.

Lockett struggled to consistently separate throughout the game, but he also hardly saw any targets until deep into the second half. DK Metcalf (0-0-0) was largely ignored throughout the entire game while dealing with Patrick Peterson’s shadow coverage. Run-first OC Brian Schottenheimer has struggled to consistently enable these pass catchers all season, but Sunday’s duds were particularly surprising considering the opponent and negative game script involved. However, injuries to Chris Carson (hip) and C.J. Prosise (arm) could force his hand and lead to more pass attempts for Russell Wilson in a must-win Week 17 matchup against the 49ers.

Survived this performance.

Grabbed him as my #2WR this year. Will be avoiding next year unless he falls to rounds 6 or 7. Just too much boom / bust.

hindsight....he was pretty solid until rhe injury hit.....and last week was a big reason i made the superbowl in a league...however the goose egg and this past week vs arizona are real headscratchers....

Tyler Lockett caught 9-of-10 targets for 136 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' Divisional round loss to the Packers.

It was Lockett's fifth 100-yard game of the season, one that was full up nightmarish ups and downs for fantasy owners. It was an all or nothing kind of season for Lockett, who finished with 51 yards or fewer nine other times. That's just how it goes in a Seattle offense that prefers to run the ball as much as it can. DK Metcalf's bouts of domination also didn't help Lockett in the box score due to the low-volume passing nature of OC Brian Schottenheimer's scheme. Lockett still managed his first career 1,000-yard season, finishing with 82-1,057-8, setting career bests in catches and yards while operating as the slot man in the wake of Doug Baldwin's retirement. Lockett has two more years left on his contract and will turn 28 next season.

Jan 12, 2020, 10:09 PM ET

Weird year:  Got 40 more targets, 25 more catches, and somehow only 92 more yards.  I realize 2018 was insane efficiency, but dang. 

MetCalf had 900/7 on 100 targets last year and surely sees his role in the offense continue to grow.  Early thinking out loud, I don't see Locket getting a ton more opportunities this year. 

Weird year:  Got 40 more targets, 25 more catches, and somehow only 92 more yards.  I realize 2018 was insane efficiency, but dang. 

MetCalf had 900/7 on 100 targets last year and surely sees his role in the offense continue to grow.  Early thinking out loud, I don't see Locket getting a ton more opportunities this year. 
Can be frustrating to own at times but don’t forget his production decline began with an injury 

Redraft:  Anyone have strong thoughts one way or the other?

Surely the Seahawks open the passing game up with Metcalf and Lockett.  Do they get back to 550 attempts?  I think Locket is about what he is.  Solid guy that will give you ~80 catches, 1000 yards, 8 TD's.  I worry the rise of Metcalf means Lockett takes a step back, but he can still get 110 targets.  Being a top 2 WR for Wilson is still huge.  

Redraft:  Anyone have strong thoughts one way or the other?

Surely the Seahawks open the passing game up with Metcalf and Lockett.  Do they get back to 550 attempts?  I think Locket is about what he is.  Solid guy that will give you ~80 catches, 1000 yards, 8 TD's.  I worry the rise of Metcalf means Lockett takes a step back, but he can still get 110 targets.  Being a top 2 WR for Wilson is still huge.  
My perspective on this hasn't changed too much.

I like you see Russell Wilsons efficiency stats and how great he is on the field and logically I think, they need to do more of that. He is just too good to not to. I also liken it to the career path of Big Ben who started out as low volume game manager and people at that time didn;t think he would become great for fantasy. Eventually he did an how. So why not the same path for Russ as well?

Then I think of Pete Carrol abusing gum and wanting to run the ball. I don't think he sees things the same way as we do.

Users who are viewing this thread