What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

X-Files Coming Back - The Truth is out there! (1 Viewer)

My brother works for Fox and has seen the whole thing. Says it is awful. That the third episode is best but still not as good as a decent episode from the original run. Alan Sepinwall said the premiere is so bad that he would recommend skipping it.
I thought it was OK. Some of the acting between those 2 was awful though.

Just watched the first two episodes. Honestly, this is about what I expected. Not terrible, but not very good either. I'll continue watching for nostalgia purposes, and that's good enough for me.

Kind of sad that Skinner is the guy who seems to have aged the least. Mulder looks terrible -- all puffy with bags under his eyes. And Scully looks like she has cancer or AIDS or something. Also, Gillian Anderson must smoke 4 packs a day judging by what's happened to her voice. Cringe-worthy dialog in spots, but that goes with the franchise.

Have not read the entire thread. Am I the only one who does not have a lot of memories about the original show? It came on after 6 hours of football and beer. It seemed kind of cool, but I can't recall a single episode or scene today.

Have not read the entire thread. Am I the only one who does not have a lot of memories about the original show? It came on after 6 hours of football and beer. It seemed kind of cool, but I can't recall a single episode or scene today.
I started re-watching the original series several weeks ago, motivated by the re-boot. Just finished Season One. Some of the episodes hold up okay, but several are pretty bad. I think it took another season or two for this show to hit its stride.

The pacific northwest was a perfect filming location for this show, though. Even when the story/dialogue blow, the location and cinematography is often top-notch.

Just watched Ep. 2. Thought it was better than the first episode. Glad they brought X-Files back.

That was a fantastic episode. I didn't expect them to do a complete one off like that when they've only got 6 episodes. Anyways, very enjoyable.

msommer said:
So far this season has been a waste of time. At least it is going to be short
I did not think episode 3 was remotely a waste of time. It hit all of the right notes for me.

msommer said:
I did not think episode 3 was remotely a waste of time. It hit all of the right notes for me.
To me it was the worst one of the three, followed by one, then two
IIRC, the show always had the light-hearted, stand-alone episode mixed into whatever the overall story arc was. Did you not like those either?

msommer said:
IIRC, the show always had the light-hearted, stand-alone episode mixed into whatever the overall story arc was. Did you not like those either?
He likely did not otherwise he would have liked the Were-Monster episode

msommer said:
He likely did not otherwise he would have liked the Were-Monster episode
Indeed.

Ep3 was the best so far. 1&6 are on a strict script. iirc 2-5 are total randoms with differnt writers

And Scullys voice is shot again.

Im loving this show, I wonder if the ratings are good enough they'd consider bringing it back full time.

The Tooms episodes were may favorites, talk about a creepy dude. I tossed all my old X-Files VHS tapes except for those two episodes, sitting up in my attic somewhere.

Squeeze

Tooms
The first one was one of the first episodes, agreed. Just started watching this. Prompted by the new abbreviated season 10. I somehow missed the premier, and mistook the second episode for it, than caught up after watching the third. Thought the premier was great. I may have caught an episode or two back in the day just through channel flipping (something I tend to rarely do these days due to DVR recording), but for whatever reason, never got into it. After reading the wiki background page, I was reminded that it was heavily influenced by classics from the sci fi/horror genre like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery and especially, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, among some of my favorite shows. The pilot and first few episodes have already grabbed me, with well drawn and developed characters from the outset, as well as the look, feel and style of the show. Sounds like 2/3 of the episodes are of the MOW variety, with the balance rounded out by the overarching story arc type. The female lead was great in the cancelled Hannibal, haven't seen Duchovny in his latest sitcom (he played guard on the JV basketball team and varsity centerfield on the baseball team in the ivy league, Princeton or Yale, and at one time reportedly intended to get a doctorate in literature).

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. I always wish they'd reveal more about the creature but I'm kind of glad they left me hanging.

Also, can somebody give cliffs notes on the sculls baby thing? I didn't watch that season.

Solid effort thus far. Good choice to stick with the original title sequence, it shows us how they intend for us to watch imo. As a continuation if the original series, with the balance of light hearted and suspenseful that we came to expect. Kudos.

Absolutely lived and breathed this show back in the day, can still remember watching the series premier with my father. I checked out about midway thru season six when it became more about Fox's ratings events episodes and became increasingly obvious the story arcs were all made up as they went. The "Two Fathers/One Son" two parter were they basically totally rebooted the direction of the show was just so atrocious IMO. The overarching grand conspiracy which got people so addicted and was so new in a tv show with great episodes in the early seasons became really stale and meandering and the "stand alones" really became the best episodes later on. The show really peaked when they were filming the first movie after wrapping up season four and declined pretty quickly after that.

Just embarrassing when they tried to keep it going with the T1000 and other new characters.

it seems like the underlying thread of the reboot, first two arced episodes and the last two stand-alones, is the son... have to figure the next two episodes address that more directly.

I'm enjoying it though- definitely harkens back to all the elements. had to laugh at the running-around-with-flashlights scenes... when I first started watching xfiles, I only had a tiny b/w tv- and it seemed like ALL the scenes were in the dark with only flashlights for lighting. made it that much more creepy (especially with small screen b/w).

Giggle worthy. Not bad. Loved the bit-by-a-human reversal.
The whole episode kept subverting expectations, I liked the actor and the sense of humor in the show.

Liked the first episode and that a lot, didn't love the second or fourth, but I just started watching (up to about the fourth or fifth episode season one - Jersey Devil?).

This is far better than what I expected. The lead actors still look like hell, but the writing, direction, and the quality of the acting more than make up for it.

last episode was decent. terrorist bombing

they debuted a 'replacement' xfiles crew. not sure if that will go anywhere

and yes scullys nips are lookn good

I liked Mulder shrooming... but yeah, this one didn't work for me. especially in such a short season. 

if they're setting up the two younger versions for future series... they need to recast the guy- wooden. big fan of Lauren Ambrose though

Lame. Will not watch future episodes... should have had 5 of these 6 episodes on the main story line with an attempt to wrap it all up. The other episode should have been the one with Murray from flight of the concords as an ode to the one-off episodes from the past.

As the saucer hovered  over Mulder and Scully I was hoping it would blow up the car like what happened to that psychic broad in the first episode.  That would have been epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if TSM and his gang are running this show, who's in the saucer and why did they kill Svetlana (or whatever her name was)?

Definitely making more episodes. My guess is six with Mulder and Scully and seven with Mulder/Scully Lite.

renesauz said:
Am I the only one completely astounded at how lame a conclusion that was?
They decided the lameness of how the show fizzled out the first time wasn't enougn

Users who are viewing this thread