What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo draft grades a Joke (1 Viewer)

lazyike

Footballguy
Did a 12 team draft last night and 2 owners were unable to make it and their teams were auto picked. At the end Yahoo gave an A- to this auto picked disaster.

QBs- Brady, Big Ben

RBs-McCoy, Mendenhall, Jonathan Dwyer

WRs-Fitzgerald,S. Smith, S Rice

TEs-Graham, V.Davis, Allen

Def-SF, Pittsburgh

K-Bryant

He really needed that 3rd TE Allen didn't he, and Dwyer as an RB3 maybe isn't real solid is it, and with just 15 rounds I'm not carrying 2 Defs, It drafted kicker Bryant around the 10th round...need I say more?

Last edited by a moderator:
???This is not my team. And I'm not crying, I'm laughing at Yahoo's draft grading. And point 3 is never do an auto pick in a real draft.

so, you're complaining about a computer generated grade that works off some monkey simple algorithm like how far the picks are from their projections, and it's yahoo drafting off their own projections?

are you one of those people who yell at the atm?

On NFL.com Bradshaw is projected to run for 168 and a score. Why concern yourself with any of this stuff?

Agreed!! Had 2 managers in one of our leagues miss the draft, Yahoo graded both of their teams as an "A". Last season, after a draft, Yahoo graded my team as the best in the league. Turned out to be the only league I missed the playoffs in.

So...

QB - Brady

RB - McCoy, Mendy

WR - Fitz, S. Smith

TE - Graham

D - SF

K - Bryant

Looks ok to me.
I see an RB1 and and RB3 or 4 . A WR1 and a WR3 . In a 12 team league what is he going to find on the waiver wire.? I give that draft a D-

It seems yahoo puts too much emphasis on owning the top defenses and kickers. Not to mention many autodrafters are just picking best available according to Yahoo's rankings. This is why autodrafters usually end up with the best grades.

I found it particularly funny when I imported my team to fantasypros.com last night and the autodrafted team predicted to finish 11-3 is ranked as the 10th best team out of 12.

So...

QB - Brady

RB - McCoy, Mendy

WR - Fitz, S. Smith

TE - Graham

D - SF

K - Bryant

Looks ok to me.
I see an RB1 and and RB3 or 4 . A WR1 and a WR3 . In a 12 team league what is he going to find on the waiver wire.? I give that draft a D-
I see players at every position who are legit threats to finish #1 overall vs their peers, and excellent trade bait to fortify the RB corps in Davis. :shrug:

I don't actually think it's an A- draft, but I also don't think it's so tragic that it deserves its own thread.

I would think you could program a computer to address the teams needs instead of drafting a 3rd worthless TE. And how about Yahoo checking its rankings daily and yanking Dwyer out, and making a few other adjustments knowing that thousands of teams are drafting every day on auto pick.

worst thread ever?? I cant think of a worse one to date, not even the hernandez thread

Of course the algo that grades the draft is going to like the team that the auto-draft picked, they are based on the same rankings.

Every year, my leaguemates hinge the quality of their team over Yahoo's measley projections. Personally, I love it! Last year, with the help of FBG, my team was below most teams in projected points, that is, up until the playoffs, because I snagged all the sleepers ahead of the other owners.

I use Yahoo for my leagues, and in the draft that I knew I performed best in (with much thanks to the Draft Dominator), Yahoo graded me a C+. I don't care, and in all my Week 1 games, I'm "projected" to lose. But I'm confident enough that I backed myself up with the in-depth info from the endless content FBG provides for me to give me a chance to win each week.

worst thread ever?? I cant think of a worse one to date, not even the hernandez thread
Or you could do like many of us do when we find a post we are not interested in we simply don't respond to them. If you don't think the most used Fantasy football website used by millions could do a better job ranking and auto picking for owners could do better than ignore the post.

Some real insecure drafters in here.

I used the FBGs draft app to draft what it ranked as the top-scoring team in my 14-team league.

Yahoo then gave my draft an A-, also the top ranking given in the league.

They agree. Seems good to me.

Or you could do like many of us do when we find a post we are not interested in we simply don't respond to them. If you don't think the most used Fantasy football website used by millions could do a better job ranking and auto picking for owners could do better than ignore the post.
if yahoo were to grade this post for english it'd get an A-

I drafted in my Yahoo league based mainly on the rankings provided by FBG's Draft Dominator (with my own intuition thrown in of course). Yahoo graded my draft an A+.

Is Draft Dominator that far off this year? Kidding, of course, but a high grade by Yahoo makes me nervous.

I will say this: Every year I draft FBG hates my draft, and tells me I could really use a subscription. I've finished 2nd and 3rd in overall points back-to-back years. I don't trust any one thing, but rather, a whole amalgam of information and basic football knowledge to draft accordingly. The only thing I keep being a sucker for are rookie WRs. I keep thinking I'll find Randy again. I won't.

*ETA 1st and 3rd, actually. And it's a sixteen-teamer. So I'm just not sure any one source is better than your own projections, instincts, and football knowledge.

CletiusMaximus said:
Amazingly, when I draft using DD and FBG rankings, my team always gets top marks from the FBG rating app.
No kidding... Obviously a team drafted based on their rankings is going to get graded well by their rankings.

Either way, I actually kind of liked reading through the draft grades on my Yahoo league. Obviously I disagreed with much of it, but it was very entertaining, and well done, in my opinion.

Bit off subject (but who cares), but did anyone else get barraged with the Snickers candy plugs?? We were drafting along our merry way, when all of the sudden a guy drafts and an ad for Snickers pops into the chat and tells us he drafted the Snickers Sleeper. People went dead silent in the chat for about 20 seconds and then the onslaught ensued...guy who drafted the first Snicker Sleeper has a target on his back and when we beat him, it was determined it will be called "Snickered", i.e. "dude, he snickered your ###".

I excluded all kickers in the only auto draft I did on Yahoo and they gave me a D-. That algo ain't that smart. Next time I'm excluding kickers and defenses. Going for the F.

Bit off subject (but who cares), but did anyone else get barraged with the Snickers candy plugs?? We were drafting along our merry way, when all of the sudden a guy drafts and an ad for Snickers pops into the chat and tells us he drafted the Snickers Sleeper. People went dead silent in the chat for about 20 seconds and then the onslaught ensued...guy who drafted the first Snicker Sleeper has a target on his back and when we beat him, it was determined it will be called "Snickered", i.e. "dude, he snickered your ###".
This is exactly what Snickers wants you to do.

They must have gotten complaints cause my first yahoo draft these showed up. Two after that I saw none.

We had that, right down to the Snickers Sleeper. IIRC, it wasn't much of a sleeper.

I got a B recently with a team I love, and spoke with some other FBG's privately on the matter. First time I have used Yahoo for a league. Apparently the draft report cards are pure computer generated junk. Moreso to give you and your leaguemates a venue to trash talk re: the "authoritative" grades given.

If you like your team, don't let any of us/anyone else tell you otherwise.

It does seems that Yahoo puts more emphasis on DEF and K rather than a RB2, RB3, Flex or WR2. I took a DEF in the final round (NE) and it said that was the strongest part of my team. I must have really drafted a stiinker if that's the best I did.

Also, a team who took two highly rated QB's, but failed to draft a sufficient RB2 was graded the highest.

pretty much every website thats grades your draft using their software is always junk.

In one draft I did I took Richardson 3rd overall and it told me that was my worst pick of the draft.

Another guy took Bell in the 7th or 8th post injury and it got a great grade because of where they have him ranked on their software

lazyike said:
Man of Zen said:
So...

QB - Brady

RB - McCoy, Mendy

WR - Fitz, S. Smith

TE - Graham

D - SF

K - Bryant

Looks ok to me.
That team has a great starting line up, but ZERO depth. Remember, Yahoo grades calculate best total points each week, and don't account for injuries and bye weeks and all that stuff. Don't take those rankings seriously, they only look at your starters which means of course he has a good team with a top defense it took early for him and no depth.

This was my team I drafted, and it gave me a C- .... likely because I didn't take a Kicker, as I'm just going to pick one up this week.

1. (4) Doug Martin(TB - RB) 2. (21) Chris Johnson(Ten - RB) 3. (28) Demaryius Thomas(Den - WR) 4. (45) Andre Johnson(Hou - WR) 5. (52) Cam Newton(Car - QB) 6. (69) DeAngelo Williams(Car - RB) 7. (76) Le'Veon Bell(Pit - RB) 8. (93) Josh Gordon(Cle - WR) 9. (100) Kyle Rudolph(Min - TE) 10. (117) Jared Cook(StL - TE) 11. (124) Vincent Brown(SD - WR) 12. (141) Andy Dalton(Cin - QB) 13. (148) Joique Bell(Det - RB) 14. (165) DeAndre Hopkins(Hou - WR) 15. (172) Indianapolis(Ind - DEF) 16. (189) Pierre Thomas

Guy in my 12-team work league took Brees in rd 1 and Matt Bryant (yes, the Kicker), in round 2. He got an A. 'nough said.

Users who are viewing this thread