What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your outlook on A Jones vs AJ Dillon (1 Viewer)

Because as you guys often do, you are looking at total points but it's deeper than this. His RB7 finish was due to a 41pts monster week (at the beginning of the season btw before dillon cut gis time) and a couple of big other weeks. He also had 6 weeks under 12 pts in PPR of which 3 of them under 5pts. As my previous posts tried to convey, he was very hot and cold and i don't like the 50/50 time share with dillon. That's all i am saying. He's a good RB but dillon's presence makes them both a gamble on any given week. I stick to that statement.
You do look at total numbers. Those weeks he has weeks, he wins you those weeks. Just surprised someone says the RB7 was "killing him all year" haha. but fair enough, we'll see how they both do this year. Personally if I draft a late 1st round RB (last year), I'm thrilled if he ends up RB7

That said, I think Jones will have the better season. One thing I considered, drafting him in a keeper league, is the likelihood Jones will be released next year. It’s something that has been a consistent belief, by a few local beat writers. Jones cap hit goes from $5.9 million this year to $20 million next year. He also turns 29 in December of next year.
Why does his likelihood of him being released cause you to believe he will have a better season? Or do you mean that is why you drafted in a keeper-league?
Yep, that was poorly worded. I just meant it gave me a little extra incentive to draft him, as he has keeper potential next year.

Because as you guys often do, you are looking at total points but it's deeper than this. His RB7 finish was due to a 41pts monster week (at the beginning of the season btw before dillon cut gis time) and a couple of big other weeks. He also had 6 weeks under 12 pts in PPR of which 3 of them under 5pts. As my previous posts tried to convey, he was very hot and cold and i don't like the 50/50 time share with dillon. That's all i am saying. He's a good RB but dillon's presence makes them both a gamble on any given week. I stick to that statement.
You do look at total numbers. Those weeks he has weeks, he wins you those weeks. Just surprised someone says the RB7 was "killing him all year" haha. but fair enough, we'll see how they both do this year. Personally if I draft a late 1st round RB (last year), I'm thrilled if he ends up RB7
Jones certainly wouldn't have hurt your team and would have gotten fairly steady but unspectacular points most of the season. What he didn't do for anyone was win them a title as Dillon took up way larger amount of carries in the second half and had a 3-1 advantage in TD's during the playoffs. He had 33 receptions in the first half of the season, 19 in the second half. 104 carries in the first half, 67 in the second half of the season. 7 of his 10 TD's came in the first 8 games, 4 of them in a single game. He averaged out to the #7 RB but you weren't getting that in the second half of the season when Dillon emerged. Dillon didn't go anywhere and isn't likely to take up less of a share of the workload than he did the second half of last season. Add in the loss of Adams and the effect of that on the entire offense and last year's numbers start to look an awful lot like a ceiling for Jones. For Dillon I'd say his ceiling could be slightly higher if the second half trend from last year carries over but that may be offset by the downturn in the overall offense. All in all, either one could be huge if the other gets hurt but if they both stay healthy they will end up being "safe" picks that get you some points but aren't going to be league winners. He may not have hurt anybody all season long last year but he certainly was hurting some teams in the second half if they were relying on production befitting a top ten back.

Jones certainly wouldn't have hurt your team and would have gotten fairly steady but unspectacular points most of the season. What he didn't do for anyone was win them a title as Dillon took up way larger amount of carries in the second half and had a 3-1 advantage in TD's during the playoffs. He had 33 receptions in the first half of the season, 19 in the second half. 104 carries in the first half, 67 in the second half of the season. 7 of his 10 TD's came in the first 8 games, 4 of them in a single game. He averaged out to the #7 RB but you weren't getting that in the second half of the season when Dillon emerged. Dillon didn't go anywhere and isn't likely to take up less of a share of the workload than he did the second half of last season. Add in the loss of Adams and the effect of that on the entire offense and last year's numbers start to look an awful lot like a ceiling for Jones. For Dillon I'd say his ceiling could be slightly higher if the second half trend from last year carries over but that may be offset by the downturn in the overall offense. All in all, either one could be huge if the other gets hurt but if they both stay healthy they will end up being "safe" picks that get you some points but aren't going to be league winners. He may not have hurt anybody all season long last year but he certainly was hurting some teams in the second half if they were relying on production befitting a top ten back.
Aaron Jones was the RB5 after his bye. (weeks 14, 15, 16, 17). These are the most used playoff weeks, I wouldn't say he was hurting people that bad during those weeks.

One game, and probably the worst the Packers offense will be all year.

Jones didn't do much.
Dillon was great.

Jones didn't do much.
Dillon was great.
Jones didn’t get it much but did well with his 5 carries (out rushing what Dillon did on 10). Seemed they waited a while to really get the run game going at all.
Dillon targeted more in the pass game too though which was a surprise to me.

Jones didn't do much.
Dillon was great.
He had 76 total yards that’s pretty good on only 8 touches. He looked explosive too no idea what their gameplan was but it wasn’t good

Bump because Jones re-upped with the Packers. This has to hurt Dillon's value.
I think it was expected. Most of what I’ve been reading over the last month indicated Jones would be re-signing.

I don’t think it hurts AJD so much as it’s not a huge boost for AJD like if AJones was cut/traded. So yeah, it certainly isn’t awesome news for AJD owners (like me with 1 share) but I’m not dejected - I still expect AJD to be valuable.

The last few games AJD seemed to be more and more a focal point, and the division of labor was what many expected all year.

If ARod departs they may lean more on both backs. While deep down, in the place I secretly keep my wishes and dreams I’d hoped to see AJones go elsewhere, I am not at all surprised he’s staying.

lol

The last few games AJD seemed to be more and more a focal point, and the division of labor was what many expected all year.

He did. One wonders whether that was because Jones was banged up or whether when the weather gets cold, if Dillon isn't their battering ram. Anyway, I'd expect to see more of the same split next year, health permitting. There is one thing, though. Before Jones got nicked, he had reasserted almost total control of that backfield and was being used that way. I hope for Dillon's sake that maybe Dillon was banged up when that happened, but I remember it being that way this past year.

He did. One wonders whether that was because Jones was banged up or whether when the weather gets cold, if Dillon isn't their battering ram. Anyway, I'd expect to see more of the same split next year, health permitting. There is one thing, though. Before Jones got nicked, he had reasserted almost total control of that backfield and was being used that way. I hope for Dillon's sake that maybe Dillon was banged up when that happened, but I remember it being that way this past year.
From your lips to god’s ears, as the saying goes.

AJD was nicked up early, IIRC. And yes, you’re correct that AJones was playing through injuries late.

I’m optimistic about AJD going forward, but the upside is definitely capped. And while they may run more if Love is behind center, the offense may also take a step back so it could be a wash.

All I (and other AJD shareholders) can do is hope for the best at this point. AJones is approaching that age/mileage (28, 29 in December) where injuries start to mount, so they may divide the workload more evenly in effort to keep him healthy. That was reportedly the plan for 2022. He was clearly effected by an early heavy workload in 2022.

IIRC AJD is a FA in 2023, and at 24 (25 in May) he should be a popular FA. So might take another year for shareholders to realize his upside.

What will be really interesting/frustrating is if the Packers give AJD a 2nd contract. They could draft a RB & try to trade AJD to a needy team mid-season - but they did spend a 2nd round pick on him.

Kind of a fascinating mess.

https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/NFL-News...ce-to-retain-Aaron-Rodgers-20230219-0016.html

Aaron Jones will stay with the Green Bay Packers. The running back gets a salary of $11 million which includes a signing bonus close to $8.5 million. However, in order to remain with the team, Jones reduced his salary. In the 2023 season, Aaron Jones was projected to receive $16 million from the Packers. He left that money on the table, opted for the signing bonus and that's why the final amount he'll recieve went down to $11 million. Aaron Jones is 28-years and still has two years remaining on his contract. This move helps the Packers in a huge way regarding the salary cap. There were only two choices. A restructured deal or being released to test the open market. Jones chose Green Bay.

https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/NFL-News...ce-to-retain-Aaron-Rodgers-20230219-0016.html

Aaron Jones will stay with the Green Bay Packers. The running back gets a salary of $11 million which includes a signing bonus close to $8.5 million. However, in order to remain with the team, Jones reduced his salary. In the 2023 season, Aaron Jones was projected to receive $16 million from the Packers. He left that money on the table, opted for the signing bonus and that's why the final amount he'll recieve went down to $11 million. Aaron Jones is 28-years and still has two years remaining on his contract. This move helps the Packers in a huge way regarding the salary cap. There were only two choices. A restructured deal or being released to test the open market. Jones chose Green Bay.
Jones is a great back. Kudos to him for not being a greedy bugger

to be fair, still good but let's face it he's on downside of his career and was getting paid anywhere else.

Dillon is Ingram, Jones is Kamara. Prefer Jones in every format since targets are crazy more valuable than runs. Dillon is best used to punish defenders- Jones is best used in space. Hopefully LaFleur sees that .
I think Jones is in for a monster year and is going to deliver in PPR leagues. Dillon will do fine but Jones should see many more touches.
Going with the same prediction for 2023.

to be fair, still good but let's face it he's on downside of his career and was getting paid anywhere else.

Guy is only 28 and in a committee. He showed zero signs of slowing down last year. In fact i thought he looked more dynamic than ever...

Guy is only 28 and in a committee. He showed zero signs of slowing down last year. In fact i thought he looked more dynamic than ever...
How many 28 year old Rb's in a committee are getting paid $11M dollars next year? If there are any they're most likely contracts that the teams want to get out of.

Absolutely insane he only had 2 rushing tds on 200 carries. He was very frustrating to own- type of player that doesn't win nor lose a week, nor a league

Dillon is Ingram, Jones is Kamara. Prefer Jones in every format since targets are crazy more valuable than runs. Dillon is best used to punish defenders- Jones is best used in space. Hopefully LaFleur sees that .
I think Jones is in for a monster year and is going to deliver in PPR leagues. Dillon will do fine but Jones should see many more touches.
Will starting QB impact your decision on this? There seems to be some in family fighting going on here.

I think this is the year it becomes more even, personally.

Have we EVER seen 2 rbs from the same team going in the first 5 rounds of fantasy?
Maybe during the Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Williams years. Where's Hunt going because Chubb/Hunt may also be an answer.
I recall the Los Angeles Raiders once had Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen on the same roster. There have also been a few thunder and lightning duos who went pretty high, such as Dunn and Alstott. Even Christian Okoye and Barry Word earned good draft capital. Ahh, but I age myself.
Where did Zeke and Pollard go last year?

Edit to add: I was at the bottom of page 1, looking at an old message. Sorry friends

Last edited:
The Packers have become a low octane offense that will likely be in the bottom third of the league going forward. Both players are back end RB 2/Flex types going forward.
If Love takes the reigns, I'm disinclined to take either player. According to Fantasy Pros ECR- Jones is RB #17, Dillon RB #30.

I'd probably put Jones closer to RB #25 and Dillon closer to RB #35.

I'm bearish on all Packers going forward, with perhaps the exception of Christian Watson.

It stems from QB play- Rodgers looked dusted last year and Love, with apologies to the J. Geils band, stinks.

The Packers have become a low octane offense that will likely be in the bottom third of the league going forward. Both players are back end RB 2/Flex types going forward.
If Love takes the reigns, I'm disinclined to take either player. According to Fantasy Pros ECR- Jones is RB #17, Dillon RB #30.

I'm bearish on all Packers going forward, with perhaps the exception of Christian Watson.

It stems from QB play- Rodgers looked dusted last year and Love, with apologies to the J. Geils band, stinks.
Don't completely agree with the take, but props for that last line.

Don't completely agree with the take, but props for that last line.
I'm glad that you get the reference.
As someone who is on the older side of this board's membership, my guess is the take dates me significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread