What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zach Sudfeld - TE Pats (1 Viewer)

Would also love to see the pick for player trades that people are talking about. I remember pats hoarding picks not giving them away
Tried for a bit to find a list of trades by Googling but here we go OTTOMH:

• Pick & Demps for Blount
  • Picks for Ocho
  • Picks for Haynesworth
  • Offer sheet for Sanders (not matched)
  • Offer sheet for Welker and traded for 2nd & 7th
  • Pick for Moss
  • Pick for Duane Starks
  • Pick for Derrick Burgess (third or fourth I think - puke)
  • Pick for Ted Washington (anti-Burgess)
There are more, but BB does not infrequently trade mid to late picks for players.
guess I didn't realize most of those were trades. Common theme in most of those deals is the trading partner was highlY motivated to deal so they were bargains. Maybe that's why I didn't think of.themEither way, I don't see New England making a panic move by overpaying to fill this needs. Does not seem to be their MO as much as taking low price fliers on guys who areon the market. Maybe a TE would be on the market. More likely I could see Charles Clay or Evan Rodriguez released and signed cheaply at best. Maybe a fliers on Dallas Clark, but David Thomas is not an answer. the bottom line is Sudfeld was impressing before the AHern deal so now hes an intriguing prospect.

This guy is so huge of a target, and supposedly with good hands and athleticism. If he's given half a chance and shines there could be 91.6% of dynasty teams kicking themselves for not picking him up for free or even spending some waiver money on him.
Along these same lines, but perhaps a tangent in this thread, I think Mark Harrison, another UDFA pickup by CHI then NE, is a player to target and take a flier on in dynasty formats (assuming he comes back from the foot and makes the team). His measurable are very similar to Hernandez (size/speed combo). Granted, he is lighter ... but he has the frame to put it on.

http://www.nfl.com/c...andez?id=497244

http://www.nfl.com/d...ison?id=2540262

I am likely taking fliers on him transforming into their "joker" in a season or 2.

Similar to Hernandez, he has a unique set of skills that makes him the exception to the rule. He's technically a wide receiver, but he is more like a big wide receiver with excellent speed, body positioning and and some skills after the catch. There is a lot of talk about Harrison and Brandon Marshall being similar in terms of body/speed, but Harrison is faster than Marshall ever has been and so I think he is more like Hernandez.

This guy is so huge of a target, and supposedly with good hands and athleticism. If he's given half a chance and shines there could be 91.6% of dynasty teams kicking themselves for not picking him up for free or even spending some waiver money on him.
Along these same lines, but perhaps a tangent in this thread, I think Mark Harrison, another UDFA pickup by CHI then NE, is a player to target and take a flier on in dynasty formats (assuming he comes back from the foot and makes the team). His measurable are very similar to Hernandez (size/speed combo). Granted, he is lighter ... but he has the frame to put it on.

http://www.nfl.com/c...andez?id=497244

http://www.nfl.com/d...ison?id=2540262

I am likely taking fliers on him transforming into their "joker" in a season or 2.

Similar to Hernandez, he has a unique set of skills that makes him the exception to the rule. He's technically a wide receiver, but he is more like a big wide receiver with excellent speed, body positioning and and some skills after the catch. There is a lot of talk about Harrison and Brandon Marshall being similar in terms of body/speed, but Harrison is faster than Marshall ever has been and so I think he is more like Hernandez.
difference is Hernandez could block which keeps teams guessing whether the Pats were going to use him as a TE or not. Takes a lot of time to develop into that. Many WR converts have failed...starting with Teyo Johnson to Evan Moore, jury out on Brett Brackett. Just doesn't provide that same flexibility. Basically using an extra wr so teams can defend as such. You are talking about a guy that has already been cut by Chicago. At this point, if he makes the team he would be luckyAlso, when this thread started Mark Harrison was owned in all my leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Patriots undrafted rookie TE Zach Sudfeld could see playing time with the first-team offense in training camp.
With Rob Gronkowski (back, forearm) likely to miss most of the preseason, Sudfeld could emerge as a viable option in the Patriots' two-tight end offense. ESPN Boston gives Sudfeld a "65 percent" chance of making the 53-man roster.

Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

Patriots undrafted rookie TE Zach Sudfeld could see playing time with the first-team offense in training camp.
With Rob Gronkowski (back, forearm) likely to miss most of the preseason, Sudfeld could emerge as a viable option in the Patriots' two-tight end offense. ESPN Boston gives Sudfeld a "65 percent" chance of making the 53-man roster.

Actually.... this is newer:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745307/wrapping-up-the-bubble-watch

Hoomanawanui is shown as the No. 2 TE, ahead of Ballard at No. 3, Fells at No. 4, and Sudfeld at No. 5. Fells is given a slightly better chance of making the team than Sudfeld.

Sudfeld is on the bubble watch.

Rookie TEs rarely do well and there probably has never been a rookie backup (that did well enough for redraft!) behind such a stud like Gronk that wound up doing so well.

I LOVE this story and it is fun to follow.

Sometimes the draft day love lingers a bit too long. He's fourth on the depth chart- you simply can't understate that.

The easiest move for the Pats is to use the TE like most teams do and they did in the past...use one, Gronk.

They were blessed to have two excellent TEs. I'd be shocked if they somehow had a third.
Right, other than say, Gronk and Hernandez?

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston says undrafted rookie TE Zach Sudfeld has "sustained" the momentum he built during offseason workouts.
A 6'7/255 pass-catching athlete, Sudfield was one of the Patriots that raised eyebrows during the spring. That spotlight intensified when Rob Gronkowski underwent back surgery and Aaron Hernandez was released. Beat writer Mike Reiss says the Nevada product "might challenge" for a roster spot, but we haven't heard about any first-team reps yet. Sudfield's progress in preseason games will be worth monitoring closely.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Faust holds the on/off button to the Internet? LOL

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe believes Patriots undrafted TE Zach Sudfeld has a roster spot "locked up" as long as he stays healthy.
Beat writer Ben Volin calls Sudfeld maybe the "best all-around member on the field" right now at training camp. He was a star during padless spring practices, and Sudfeld has carried that momentum over into training camp. Still, we wouldn't expect fantasy-worthy production from Sudfeld in year one.

Source: Boston Globe

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Faust holds the on/off button to the Internet? LOL
This gave me a good laugh early on a Monday, which is good. I have said something similar about Faust seemingly updating every news story as it breaks or as anyone post a question about a player, Faust has a link to a story about that player. Faust = :moneybag:

This guy might be the only active TE on the roster come week 1.
I haven't been following it as closely as I should, whats wrong with the other 4 TEs that aren't Gronk.

Ballard, Hoomanawanuinomnomnomnom, 4th guy and of course 6th guy.

I haven't been following it as closely as I should, whats wrong with the other 4 TEs that aren't Gronk.

Supposedly Ballard isn't quite right yet. Maybe he will be in a few weeks or maybe he will never be?

Haven't heard anything about the crazy name guy, so I guess there isn't much news, good or bad, about him as of now.

Supposedly Ballard isn't quite right yet. Maybe he will be in a few weeks or maybe he will never be?

Haven't heard anything about the crazy name guy, so I guess there isn't much news, good or bad, about him as of now.
It would be interesting to know what TE position Sudfeld is lining up at in TC.

The way I understood things was that Ballard is behind Gronk, and Hoomanawanui was behind Hernandez and was technically the backup there. Now maybe NE reverts to a more traditional second TE role which makes that Hernandez slot less significant, not sure. And there is Fells.

And Sudfeld was competing for either, or both positions? I would think he would be more of a fit for the Gronk role.

Well Hoomanawanui was locked up for the #2 spot after Hernandez was cut and before Ballard was healthy. Ballard and Hoomanawanui are both proven talents with their own upside. I don't think Sudfield has much at all week 1 value.

Unless somethign horrible happened none of us are aware of.

I haven't been following it as closely as I should, whats wrong with the other 4 TEs that aren't Gronk.Ballard, Hoomanawanuinomnomnomnom, 4th guy and of course 6th guy.

Well Hoomanawanui was locked up for the #2 spot after Hernandez was cut and before Ballard was healthy. Ballard and Hoomanawanui are both proven talents with their own upside. I don't think Sudfield has much at all week 1 value.Unless somethign horrible happened none of us are aware of.
We shouldn't forget about Daniel Fells either. While I don't think anyone's pictures him as the productive type, he could definitely be the one to fill in for Gronk if Gronk misses any significant time.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Insidersthat TE Jake Ballard is in danger of not making the Patriots' roster.
"He's struggled so much there's now even a question whether he'll make the roster," were Mort's words. Ballard has been in and out of practice, battling complications from his knee reconstruction and microfracture surgeries. He was never a realistic fantasy option, and that's clearer than ever now. Rookie Zach Sudfeld has passed Ballard as both a real-life and fantasy prospect.

Possible excellent sleeper, dynasty pick here, looks like Ballard's knee's are toast. And Gronk should return so there won't be a lot of balls to spread around. target Zach if you have the room in dynasty.

Rotoworld:

According to the Boston Globe, rookie TE Zach Sudfeld has begun running "exclusively with the first unit" at Patriots camp.
Daniel Fells is a better blocker, but Sudfeld appears poised to handle "flex" tight end duties at least until Rob Gronkowski (back surgery) returns. ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, a spectator at ongoing Patriots-Eagles joint practices, has dubbed Sudfeld "Baby Gronk." Beat writer Ben Volin calls Sudfeld "potentially the best tight end on the field," and says he's "catching everything thrown his way." In Sudfeld and WR Kenbrell Thompkins, the Pats have two undrafted rookies on the radar in re-draft leagues. They should've been Dynasty pickups long ago.

(TheHuddle) New England Patriots TE Zach Sudfeld has been running exclusively with the first-team offense in practice, and he has reportedly been catching everything thrown his way. Analysis: Sudfeld has great hands and he was one of the best route running tight ends coming out of college but he still needs to get stronger. However, the Patriots have little else at tight end right now if Rob Gronkowski misses games while recovering from back surgery. Sudfeld is on the radar as a fantasy sleeper but his value will go down significantly if Gronk is ready to go by Week

Who is better in a redraft, Sudfield, Ertz, or Kelce (PPR) ?
Unless you think Gronk will miss a ton of time, he shouldn't really be in the conversation with those two.
I kind of disagree with MR a little based on how little we know about what Belichick will do this year. In redraft Ertz has almost no value this year imho, even if he is the best TE that came out, he is on an alleged run first team with a solid TE already in place and they made Casey a FA priority so he will obviously be on the field some. Kelce is in a decent position, but is definitely starting out behind Fasano and maybe even Moeaki. So of the three, even if all are considered #2 TE's, who would you pick first based on the teams they are on and the QB throwing the ball? Personally I would take Sudfield just based on that info, not saying he is better than the other 2, but the team is far superior as is the QB and the team has a really good past history of using two TE's very effectively.

Also against Philly, even though Sudfield didn't have big number I saw him throw a couple really good blocks and he hustled downfield and made a nice block on Blount's long TD run.

Unless you think Gronk will miss a ton of time, he shouldn't really be in the conversation with those two.
I kind of disagree with MR a little based on how little we know about what Belichick will do this year. In redraft Ertz has almost no value this year imho, even if he is the best TE that came out, he is on an alleged run first team with a solid TE already in place and they made Casey a FA priority so he will obviously be on the field some. Kelce is in a decent position, but is definitely starting out behind Fasano and maybe even Moeaki. So of the three, even if all are considered #2 TE's, who would you pick first based on the teams they are on and the QB throwing the ball? Personally I would take Sudfield just based on that info, not saying he is better than the other 2, but the team is far superior as is the QB and the team has a really good past history of using two TE's very effectively.

Also against Philly, even though Sudfield didn't have big number I saw him throw a couple really good blocks and he hustled downfield and made a nice block on Blount's long TD run.
I don't think the Pats have a really good history of using two tight ends. Or even of using one tight end (for fantasy purposes). I think the Pats have a good history of using Gronk and Hernandez. Prior to those two, there was a parade of tight ends the Pats had, that disappointed fantasy owners. They used WRs and backs, Branch and Faulk, Woodhead and Troy Brown. I missed the boat, dynasty-wise, on Gronk/Hernandez because I had doubts about whether BB would ever throw to his TEs.

There are definitely balls to go around in New England this year, so I am not ignoring Sudfeld, especially for Gronk owners, but there's a lot of similar mouths to feed. Young, unproven pass catchers, in Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce. Vets like Vereen and Edelman. Gronk and Amendola. Plus, there are the vets Ballard and Fells there at TE. It is entirely possible all of those players get more targets. Not probably, but possible.

Kelce has an average player to beat out, as does Ertz. And they were both drafted, and drafted high. Fasano, Celek and Casey are all eminently average, thus far. There is talk that Casey can fit into the offense, and that's great, but so far, it's just talk. If Ertz or Kelce are the goods, they both have a much clearer path to fantasy relevance than Sudfeld.

Draft position isn't the final word, but it shouldn't be ignored. The Chiefs and Eagles invested in their guy, the Pats like what they have seen from a UDFA they signed.

Right now, I think Sudfeld is a decent pickup in deeper leagues, maybe a priority for a Gronk owner, and if Gronk comes back, I am not sure Sudfeld is worthy of a roster spot in thinner roster leagues. Kelce and Ertz and both dynasty picks, I am not sure any of the three is fantasy relevant this year.

Dynasty, I would rank them:

Ertz

Kelce

Sudfeld.

The TE usage with the first team (i.e. Brady's 16 snaps) was interesting the other night. Four TE's played quite a bit, and each had pretty specific roles.

Jake Ballard - 12 snaps - lined up exlcusively as the in-line TE, mostly blocked, but did run some routs (looked pretty good blocking too).

Zach Sudfield - 9 snaps - lined up as a wing back for 7 of those snaps, was split out wide for 2 of them

Michael Homwnsmnwmnananamnamnauy - 6 snaps - lined up exlcusively as a fullback and was a lead blocker for Ridley/Blount.

Daniel Fells - 3 snaps - was basically the 2nd in-line TE, came in on short yardage formations

Sudfield was the only TE who moved around even a little bit, and was certainly the most active in the passing game, although he did not register a reception until Tebow time. He played a lot after Brady was out, pretty much stayed in the wing back position the whole time. He also was 50 yards downfield with LaGarrette Blount on his long TD run and made the last block to ice the TD.

So, take it for what it's worth. If the Patriots are going to use a "move" TE significantly this year, early signs are that it will be Sudfield. How much the 2nd TE sees the field over one of Thompkins/Amendola/Dobson/Boyce/Edelman is an open question, however.

If Gronk is out for the 6 PUP games, I think there will be a lot of TE rotation.

The TE usage with the first team (i.e. Brady's 16 snaps) was interesting the other night. Four TE's played quite a bit, and each had pretty specific roles.

Jake Ballard - 12 snaps - lined up exlcusively as the in-line TE, mostly blocked, but did run some routs (looked pretty good blocking too).

Zach Sudfield - 9 snaps - lined up as a wing back for 7 of those snaps, was split out wide for 2 of them

Michael Homwnsmnwmnananamnamnauy - 6 snaps - lined up exlcusively as a fullback and was a lead blocker for Ridley/Blount.

Daniel Fells - 3 snaps - was basically the 2nd in-line TE, came in on short yardage formations

Sudfield was the only TE who moved around even a little bit, and was certainly the most active in the passing game, although he did not register a reception until Tebow time. He played a lot after Brady was out, pretty much stayed in the wing back position the whole time. He also was 50 yards downfield with LaGarrette Blount on his long TD run and made the last block to ice the TD.

So, take it for what it's worth. If the Patriots are going to use a "move" TE significantly this year, early signs are that it will be Sudfield. How much the 2nd TE sees the field over one of Thompkins/Amendola/Dobson/Boyce/Edelman is an open question, however.

If Gronk is out for the 6 PUP games, I think there will be a lot of TE rotation.
Sounds a lot like AHerns positioning.

Sounds a lot like AHerns positioning.
Yeah it really felt like they took all the things Hernandez used to do, and chopped it up into four different roles. Or maybe three if you "count" Ballard as Gronkowski. The only major difference is that while Hooman was lining up in the backfield as Hernandez used to do, it was as a blocker, not a carrier. I doubt we see him ever carry the ball.

I don't think the Pats have a really good history of using two tight ends. Or even of using one tight end (for fantasy purposes). I think the Pats have a good history of using Gronk and Hernandez. Prior to those two, there was a parade of tight ends the Pats had, that disappointed fantasy owners. They used WRs and backs, Branch and Faulk, Woodhead and Troy Brown. I missed the boat, dynasty-wise, on Gronk/Hernandez because I had doubts about whether BB would ever throw to his TEs.

There are definitely balls to go around in New England this year, so I am not ignoring Sudfeld, especially for Gronk owners, but there's a lot of similar mouths to feed. Young, unproven pass catchers, in Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce. Vets like Vereen and Edelman. Gronk and Amendola. Plus, there are the vets Ballard and Fells there at TE. It is entirely possible all of those players get more targets. Not probably, but possible.

Kelce has an average player to beat out, as does Ertz. And they were both drafted, and drafted high. Fasano, Celek and Casey are all eminently average, thus far. There is talk that Casey can fit into the offense, and that's great, but so far, it's just talk. If Ertz or Kelce are the goods, they both have a much clearer path to fantasy relevance than Sudfeld.

Draft position isn't the final word, but it shouldn't be ignored. The Chiefs and Eagles invested in their guy, the Pats like what they have seen from a UDFA they signed.

Right now, I think Sudfeld is a decent pickup in deeper leagues, maybe a priority for a Gronk owner, and if Gronk comes back, I am not sure Sudfeld is worthy of a roster spot in thinner roster leagues. Kelce and Ertz and both dynasty picks, I am not sure any of the three is fantasy relevant this year.

Dynasty, I would rank them:

Ertz

Kelce

Sudfeld.
Pats Ben Coates was a top FF TE

Man, Coates was awesome.

And yes, he left before Belichick's tenure began. He won a ring in Baltimore the year they beat the Giants right before he retired.

Coates was gone before Belichick got there.
he said no history of TE...anyhow, he was there as an assistant for plenty of impressive TEs with BP and I felt like the Pats spent so many picks in TEs because he saw the value in having an especially good TE. I mean Daniel Graham was arguably the top TE coming out then and a couple years later Ben Watson was picked in the first. David Thomas a couple years later teased us with some talent but never amounted to too much. IMO BB wanted a top TE and went and got them; seems as such to me.

I think Belichick has a documented history of wanting to have TE's play a versatile role in his offense, but I don't really see the piont of looking back at past players. Gronkowski is an unprecedented talent at the position, and Hernandez, while not really near that level, certainly had a relatively unique skill set. But he's gone now, so I don't think it's afe to assume that, even when Gronkowski is back, that Belichick just keeps going with the 2 TE set as much as he did before. It will come down to what Sudfield can offer in the way of match-up and formation flexibility vs. what the third WR, probably Thompkins or Boyce, can offer.

Most weeks, I imagine Sudfeld is a goalline TE, significant there but not much between the 20s when Gronk is around.

I like two TE offenses in cold weather and against stout defenses. Generally they aren't effective because teams simply don't have two impressive TEs. The recent Pats were an exception much like the Packers of many years ago with Chmura and Jackson.

I guess I am just not as good at predicting as you guys. I also look at what Belichick has done lately, which was be very successful with two TE's, I am certainly not saying Sudfield = Hernandez, but I am saying Belichick had the best offense or one of the best each of the last 3 years, and that was mostly using two TE's. Personally I am not involved in any redraft leagues, I did snag Sudfield in my dynasty leagues though. I got him a lot cheaper than the people got those other two TE's, so I am interested to see how the numbers play out between the 3.

I guess I am just not as good at predicting as you guys. I also look at what Belichick has done lately, which was be very successful with two TE's, I am certainly not saying Sudfield = Hernandez, but I am saying Belichick had the best offense or one of the best each of the last 3 years, and that was mostly using two TE's. Personally I am not involved in any redraft leagues, I did snag Sudfield in my dynasty leagues though. I got him a lot cheaper than the people got those other two TE's, so I am interested to see how the numbers play out between the 3.
He didn't have that success because he used two TE's. He had that success because he used two pretty special-ish TE's (Gronk was special, Hernandez was very good and unique, but I wouldn't say special). There's no logic to roll out Sudfield as much as they used Hernandez last year just because Hernandez was good last year. Either Sudfield offers more utility than an extra WR or he doesn't, but it will be based on his own merit and ability.

He didn't have that success because he used two TE's. He had that success because he used two pretty special-ish TE's (Gronk was special, Hernandez was very good and unique, but I wouldn't say special). There's no logic to roll out Sudfield as much as they used Hernandez last year just because Hernandez was good last year. Either Sudfield offers more utility than an extra WR or he doesn't, but it will be based on his own merit and ability.
Good point. I still like Sudfield for better numbers this year, but obviously I am in the minority. I certainly do not think my opinion is any better than anyone else's, so we will all see together how it works out. Nice having a discussion without a bunch of name calling.

Good point. I still like Sudfield for better numbers this year, but obviously I am in the minority. I certainly do not think my opinion is any better than anyone else's, so we will all see together how it works out. Nice having a discussion without a bunch of name calling.
I will say this - Sudfield is easily the TE not named Gronkowski that I would want most on this team. He's the only one that was used in any kind of "move" capacity in this first pre-season game, which indicates that if anyone is going to be a Hernandez-lite, it will be him. If the WR prospects weren't coming on so strong, I would like Sudfield more, I just think he's going to be fighting over a certain piece of the pie with a few other guys.

PatsWillWin said:
The Claymaker said:
PatsWillWin said:
The Claymaker said:
I will say this - Sudfield is easily the TE not named Gronkowski that I would want most on this team. He's the only one that was used in any kind of "move" capacity in this first pre-season game, which indicates that if anyone is going to be a Hernandez-lite, it will be him. If the WR prospects weren't coming on so strong, I would like Sudfield more, I just think he's going to be fighting over a certain piece of the pie with a few other guys.
Its a very big pie though.

Brady had close to 5K yards last year with a decent running game and WR's that were bunk. I can see Sudfield with 400 yards and 3-5 tds and thats if Gronk plays 15-16 games.

Rotoworld:

Zach Sudfeld continues to take the majority of first-team reps at Patriots practices.
The Boston Globe believes Sudfeld is atop the depth chart, leaving Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui and Jake Ballard to compete for two roster spots. Much like Kenbrell Thompkins, it's an astounding rise from undrafted rookie to starter in one of the game's top offenses. Sudfeld, slated to handle Rob Gronkowski's "flex" role, is an ideal late-round flier. No one knows if Gronk will start off the year on PUP.

Related: Michael Hoomanawanui, Jake Ballard, Kenbrell Thompkins, Daniel Fells

The more I see this guy the more he convinces me he is the real deal.

Two preseason games his effort, hands and concentration are really outstanding. He is not the freak that Gronk is but maybe Gronk lite is not far off.

He has been on the field for three quarters this week, they are trying to get him as much work as possible.

If he has a third productive game he will be your number 1 until Gronk returns and your downside will be the number 2 tight end in the patriots offense when Gronk gets back.

Users who are viewing this thread