What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zach Sudfeld - TE Pats (1 Viewer)

He will be arrested later today but I have no idea if he killed the guy but supposedly this is the second incident of him being involved in a shooting.

Well someone has to say it.

Hes white so hes at least qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sudfeld impressed at the Shrine Game earlier this year. He caught everything during the week of practice but offers little after the catch. Reminded me of Dennis Pitta when I saw him at the Shrine Game years ago.

Sudfeld impressed at the Shrine Game earlier this year. He caught everything during the week of practice but offers little after the catch. Reminded me of Dennis Pitta when I saw him at the Shrine Game years ago.
Well if he can catch everything, he should make the team. With his size it should give TB the big target he needs with all of the other TE issues in NE.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe considers undrafted TE Zach Sudfeld a "good bet to crack" the Patriots' final 53-man roster.

Sudfeld (6-foot-7, 255) only had one impact season in college, while two seasons were marred by injury. The behemoth tight end spent six seasons in total at Nevada. Sudfeld missed the 2008 campaign due to shoulder surgeries, a broken wrist, and knee surgery, and he then missed all of 2011 with a broken leg. Coach Bill Belichick loves him some tight ends, so we can't write Sudfeld off.

Jun 9 - 10:20 AM

Source: Boston Globe
ESPN Boston considers Patriots TE Zach Sudfeld an "undrafted rookie of note."

Reporter Field Yates calls Sudfeld a "smooth pass catcher" who will likely "compete for reps through training camp." A 6-foot-7, 255-pound monster out of Nevada, Sudfeld had just two career catches before posting a 45/598/8 line as a senior. The health of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez will play a huge part in Sudfeld's roster chances.

Jun 4 - 6:28 PM

Source: ESPN Boston

This guys name is seeing some light on Twitter. Some of the other fantasy heads are saying he is the sleeper target for the Pats offense. Pick him up while you can.

This guys name is seeing some light on Twitter. Some of the other fantasy heads are saying he is the sleeper target for the Pats offense. Pick him up while you can.
He's probably pretty likely to make the roster now if they keep 4 TEs, and I'd say a lock if Gronk starts on PUP.

They might only keep 3 TE now though if they shift away from 2 TE offense, which really only was successful because they were running it with two of the best TEs in the NFL.

TE depth chart is now

Gronk

Ballard

Hooman

Fells/Sudfeld

I could see them entering the season with just 3 TE - Gronk, Ballard, Sudfeld.

Fells & Hooman are no more than solid if unspectacular vets.

Hard to say. So he was behind Virgil Green in 2010, injured in 2011, and had a decent year in his only season of action. Also, he has a masters degree already so he definitely has that intelligence Patriots love. Picked him up yesterday in one league, overpaid today $11.56 of 200 budget, and watched as he went unclaimed in another. Looking forward to see what happens with him...surprised more people aren't on board, but I love the underdog

From the twitterverse:

Nathan Zegura@NathanZegura

21h
From the deep sleeper file...Zach Sudfield is a name to watch heading into the season. Good handed pass catching TE who could play for NE

Jerry Thornton@jerrythornton120h
If you haven't heard of Pats TE Zach Sudfeld, let me introduce you. 6-7, 255 UDFA from Nevada. Beast in OTAs http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/zach-sudfeld/134bd772-02a6-46f3-bc37-a0fa45a63055/

PatriotsGoal2Go@PatsGoal2Go

16h
#PatsFans. Get use to the name Zach Sudfeld. Heres the draft profile for the UDRFA http://po.st/SOarKc

Adam Caplan@caplannfl

20h
UDFA TE Zach Sudfeld, who was very impressive during E-W Shrine week practices, is someone to watch now that Hernandez is gone.

rotoViz@rotoViz25 Jun
Archives: The Pats’ Problems at TE Make it Time to Talk About Zach Sudfeld, the 6’7″ Bro with the 37″ Vertical http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/06/the-pats-glaring-tight-end-hole-means-its-time-to-talk-about-zach-sudfeld-the-67-bro-with-the-37-

Terry Adams @NFLLAW@nfllaw

24 Jun
With Gronk & Hernandez questionable Zach Sudfeld may be the next unheralded player to find success in New England http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-surprise-option-rob-gronkowki-aaron-hernandez-111300694.html

Several speculative quotes this morning from various sources suggesting the Patriots may find a trading partner. The Chiefs' Moeaki is the most commonly listed name, FWIW.

Also was mentioned a few days ago that either Dallas Clark or Dave Thomas might be brought in from FA also.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston says undrafted rookie TE Zach Sudfeld showed off "impressive pass-catching skills and dependable hands" during offseason workouts.

Sudfeld was already a very intriguing prospect thanks to his 6'7/255 frame and athletic skill set. Now that Aaron Hernandez has been released, he suddenly has an excellent chance to crack the final roster and make an impact. As a senior at Nevada, Sudfeld caught 45 passes for 598 yards and scored eight touchdowns. He'll be a player to monitor right from the start of training camp.

Source: ESPN Boston

The name Sudfeld...

Sud in Serbo-Croatian means

1. court
  2. courthouse
  3. tribunal
  4. judgment
feld... field... as in football field.

Interesting if he ends up as the guy replacing Hernandez.

I really think the player who will ultimately benefit the most from "losing" Hernandez is Shane Vereen. He's a massive value play in drafts right now and he's probably the one Patriot player (IMO, of course) who has the most draft value. Other Patriots are being drafted close to or even higher than what they'll actually produce.

It's easy to slide Amendola into Welker's spot. Gronk's injury and status are a concern and with Hernandez gone I think we'll see the Patriots offense evolve as a result - with perhaps more emphasis on the running game or even more passing targets going to the backs, namely Vereen, who has some Sproles-like skills.

Several speculative quotes this morning from various sources suggesting the Patriots may find a trading partner. The Chiefs' Moeaki is the most commonly listed name, FWIW.

Also was mentioned a few days ago that either Dallas Clark or Dave Thomas might be brought in from FA also.
lazy reporting, speculating

You really like the long shots. Has this once not blown up in your face?

Keith Lewis said:
I believe hes just calling it as he sees it. Also, not the only one who was impressed by Sudfeld. If you don't like longshots why open a thread with one as the title?Is Sudfeld going to replace Aaron? Probably not. Will be a mixture of guys getting a boost. I don't think Gronk&Amendola qualify ther because the extra defensive attention cancels out any extra targets and their obstacles are health. More like Vereen, Edelman, Sudfeld, Jenkins, Ballard, and potentially one of those rookies. Don't forget that Lloyd's production is also missing. Can Sudfeld earn a large role? He certainly has flashed so it's possible. Guy has pretty good athleticism for a guy that big. Mix in Gronk's injury and the door open. Certainly worth a roster spot at the price of a waiver claim to find out if he can do it especially in those leagues with expanded offseason rosters.

I wouldn't bet the house on this guy. He had a hard time getting on the field in six seasons in Nevada... he missed time due to shoulder surgeries (multiple), a broken wrist, knee surgery, and a broken leg. There's plenty of risk involved with him and plenty of reasons he went undrafted. Not to say write him off completely, but I wouldn't spend too much waiver $$ to get him at this point.

I wouldn't bet the house on this guy. He had a hard time getting on the field in six seasons in Nevada... he missed time due to shoulder surgeries (multiple), a broken wrist, knee surgery, and a broken leg. There's plenty of risk involved with him and plenty of reasons he went undrafted. Not to say write him off completely, but I wouldn't spend too much waiver $$ to get him at this point.
agree with this assessment. 11.56 of 200 was too much, but his popularity seems To be growing although he certainly is worth an add. He's add% doubled yesterday in MFL leagues

This guy is so huge of a target, and supposedly with good hands and athleticism. If he's given half a chance and shines there could be 91.6% of dynasty teams kicking themselves for not picking him up for free or even spending some waiver money on him.

Keith Lewis said:
these are my first hand observations from traveling to the Shrine, Senior, Texas vs Nation Game each of the past seven years. Called several lonshots from UDFA and late round picks, written articles here about guys like Arian Foster, Tony Romo, Willie Parker, Pierre Garcon, Danny Amendola, Cecil Shorts, Bryce Brown, Marcel Reece, etc when they weren't household names.

Last year I wrote in our rookie profiles here that Alfred Morris (who I saw at Shrine Game in Tampa) could be a top 25 RB if featured. I wrote that in May. I don't know of anyone else who said that, especially at that time.

So to answer your question, yes, this (more than once) has not blown up in my face.

Im thinking NE makes a trade. You have Lance Kendricks and the McDaniels connection.

Could also see a fringe TE like wesley saunders get dealt from Indy, or even celek from philly.

domvin said:
Im thinking NE makes a trade. You have Lance Kendricks and the McDaniels connection.

Could also see a fringe TE like wesley saunders get dealt from Indy, or even celek from philly.
how often do we see trades in the NFL?

domvin said:

how often do we see trades in the NFL?
Often enough that you have to consider it a possibility. I was gonna point out Kendricks, too. Not sure how the current St. Louis staff feels about him but they did give Cook a ton of money.

Keith Lewis said:
these are my first hand observations from traveling to the Shrine, Senior, Texas vs Nation Game each of the past seven years. Called several lonshots from UDFA and late round picks, written articles here about guys like Arian Foster, Tony Romo, Willie Parker, Pierre Garcon, Danny Amendola, Cecil Shorts, Bryce Brown, Marcel Reece, etc when they weren't household names.Last year I wrote in our rookie profiles here that Alfred Morris (who I saw at Shrine Game in Tampa) could be a top 25 RB if featured. I wrote that in May. I don't know of anyone else who said that, especially at that time.

So to answer your question, yes, this (more than once) has not blown up in my face.
Arian Foster?

Got a link to that? With all the fanboys of FBG in my dynasty leagues there is no way he went undrafted in 6 round rookie drafts of both RB starved leagues if anyone from FBG mentioned anything positive about him. I'd argue almost that whole list but would love some proof to the superstud Arian Foster that you're taking credit for. I would have remembered this myself.

Keith Lewis said:
these are my first hand observations from traveling to the Shrine, Senior, Texas vs Nation Game each of the past seven years. Called several lonshots from UDFA and late round picks, written articles here about guys like Arian Foster, Tony Romo, Willie Parker, Pierre Garcon, Danny Amendola, Cecil Shorts, Bryce Brown, Marcel Reece, etc when they weren't household names.Last year I wrote in our rookie profiles here that Alfred Morris (who I saw at Shrine Game in Tampa) could be a top 25 RB if featured. I wrote that in May. I don't know of anyone else who said that, especially at that time.

Arian Foster?

Got a link to that? With all the fanboys of FBG in my dynasty leagues there is no way he went undrafted in 6 round rookie drafts of both RB starved leagues if anyone from FBG mentioned anything positive about him. I'd argue almost that whole list but would love some proof to the superstud Arian Foster that you're taking credit for. I would have remembered this myself.
This is a topic about Zach Sudfeld, not about your beef with my insight. All that I mentioned are available in our archives and on episodes of The Audible. I wrote a college Dark Phoenix about Arian Foster when he was a junior at Tennessee (2007) and identified him as a player to watch. We also talked plenty about him when Bloom & I watched him at the Senior Bowl in January of 2009. He was looking like a candidate for Draftguys TV before he was injured on Wednesday's practice.

Keith Lewis said:

Arian Foster?Got a link to that? With all the fanboys of FBG in my dynasty leagues there is no way he went undrafted in 6 round rookie drafts of both RB starved leagues if anyone from FBG mentioned anything positive about him. I'd argue almost that whole list but would love some proof to the superstud Arian Foster that you're taking credit for. I would have remembered this myself.
This is a topic about Zach Sudfeld, not about your beef with my insight. All that I mentioned are available in our archives and on episodes of The Audible. I wrote a college Dark Phoenix about Arian Foster when he was a junior at Tennessee (2007) and identified him as a player to watch. We also talked plenty about him when Bloom & I watched him at the Senior Bowl in January of 2009. He was looking like a candidate for Draftguys TV before he was injured on Wednesday's practice.
Believe it or not I'm the biggest fan of your insight. Your endorsement of Ronnie Hillman netted me Andrew Luck in my rookie draft last year.

Keith Lewis said:

Arian Foster?Got a link to that? With all the fanboys of FBG in my dynasty leagues there is no way he went undrafted in 6 round rookie drafts of both RB starved leagues if anyone from FBG mentioned anything positive about him. I'd argue almost that whole list but would love some proof to the superstud Arian Foster that you're taking credit for. I would have remembered this myself.
Believe it or not I'm the biggest fan of your insight. Your endorsement of Ronnie Hillman netted me Andrew Luck in my rookie draft last year.
Keith,

The point of us having the Shark Pool isn't so that you can pick fights with people. I hope you consider coming back with a better attitude next week.

Let's please bring this thread back on point.

Thanks.

Keith Lewis said:

Everyone hits and misses, so why the attitude toward Lammey? Be thankful someone is actually at some of these practices and actually talks to coaches and players. I'd rather listen to someone like that than someone who posts Youtube videos and calls it breaking down film, lol.

Keith Lewis said:

Correct.
On the chiefs side I agree. But Thomas actually played for the patriots so that makes sense and Clark was actually brought in last year for a look before he was deemed completely healthy. Given what is available, I can see both those options making sense. Not much out there really so why not have a look at something you have a baseline for?

Apparently he is gaining interest. Saw him go for about 75% of the yearly BBID bucks yesterday in a dynasty league. That's a lot to commit but obviously could be a sound investment.

Keith Lewis said:

Correct.
On the chiefs side I agree. But Thomas actually played for the patriots so that makes sense and Clark was actually brought in last year for a look before he was deemed completely healthy. Given what is available, I can see both those options making sense. Not much out there really so why not have a look at something you have a baseline for?
because you already have 5 other TE's on the roster?

Correct.
because you already have 5 other TE's on the roster?
In name they do, but in talent...they SHOULD be shopping around. Personally, I think their best shot at an in-house TE replacement is to convert Mark Harrison. But anyway, they may have a number of people who play TE, but they are significantly weakend at the TE position right now. Just my opinion but I think they need more than they currently have.

Would also love to see the pick for player trades that people are talking about. I remember pats hoarding picks not giving them away
Tried for a bit to find a list of trades by Googling but here we go OTTOMH:

• Pick & Demps for Blount
  • Picks for Ocho
  • Picks for Haynesworth
  • Offer sheet for Sanders (not matched)
  • Offer sheet for Welker and traded for 2nd & 7th
  • Pick for Moss
  • Pick for Duane Starks
  • Pick for Derrick Burgess (third or fourth I think - puke)
  • Pick for Ted Washington (anti-Burgess)
There are more, but BB does not infrequently trade mid to late picks for players.

Rookie TEs rarely do well and there probably has never been a rookie backup (that did well enough for redraft!) behind such a stud like Gronk that wound up doing so well.

I LOVE this story and it is fun to follow.

Sometimes the draft day love lingers a bit too long. He's fourth on the depth chart- you simply can't understate that.

The easiest move for the Pats is to use the TE like most teams do and they did in the past...use one, Gronk.

They were blessed to have two excellent TEs. I'd be shocked if they somehow had a third.

Users who are viewing this thread