What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (3 Viewers)

I won't lie. Mardi Gras golf tourney & cigars got the nic back in the system. I probably would have been fine, but being drunk @ 10 am, winning said tourney, and being in the midst of carnivale season caused me to let the guard down. I smoked 5 cigars & a few cigarettes over the course of Mardi Gras. When i say a few, i mean less than a pack over the 5 days of partying. I still haven't bought any & am back on the wagon so to speak. I am mad my self control goes out the window when i get drunk. Do i need to give up drinking for a while too? :wall: Anyway....no smokes purchased since Dec 31st for Tipsy / Dec 1st* for Mrs. Tipsy.(*approx)$475 saved12 pounds gained.

24 hours in on my own journey now. I'm just sick of wasting all the money at this point. That's an extra $150 per month I could be spending on other stuff.

24 hours in on my own journey now. I'm just sick of wasting all the money at this point. That's an extra $150 per month I could be spending on other stuff.
Good luck Smoo
I'm going to need something to deal with the oral fixation and fidgeting. I'm thinking carrot sticks for home use, and either chewing gum or potato chips or something for the office.

24 hours in on my own journey now.  I'm just sick of wasting all the money at this point.  That's an extra $150 per month I could be spending on other stuff.
Good luck Smoo
I'm going to need something to deal with the oral fixation and fidgeting. I'm thinking carrot sticks for home use, and either chewing gum or potato chips or something for the office.
Rubber bands help with the digital fixation - that need to have something in your fingers (don't go there...). My bud who quit says that helped more than gum or anything else.Glllll, Smoo.

lol at this thread coming back. I am on week 2 again. This time, the newborn son is the only motivation i really need.Wasn't going to bump this until I had quit for a month...but there is the Smoo when needed. Boy was i preachy in this thread. Now, im just humble & know im a weak individual. Using my son as motivation may be my best attempt yet. "I want a cigarette".....:looksatson...."not anymore". Its great.Not helping with the diet however. I should have never joined that weight loss challenge.

24 hours in on my own journey now.  I'm just sick of wasting all the money at this point.  That's an extra $150 per month I could be spending on other stuff.
Good luck Smoo
These are what you want to try for that oral thing.

Good luck Smoo

I quit on June 1 of this year. Smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years. I have plenty of unsuccessful quits in the past. I am pretty certain that this time I am gonna make it. I just refuse to have one. You cannot have one damn Ciggarette. Every other quit I ever had ended because I thought I was strong enough to have just one. Within no time I was back smoking regular. One thing that has really worked for me this time is exercise. I run on the treadmill almost every night and I bought a Heavy Bag to take out some of my aggresion ( this really helps during the first week)I suggest wooden tooth picks for the oral fixation. You really cant chew them which is good. You do not want to chew all day. Your jaws will ache at the end of the day. I can tell you that I am about 2 and a half months quit and it has gotten much easier.I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Good luck Smoo

I quit on June 1 of this year. Smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years. I have plenty of unsuccessful quits in the past. I am pretty certain that this time I am gonna make it. I just refuse to have one. You cannot have one damn Ciggarette. Every other quit I ever had ended because I thought I was strong enough to have just one. Within no time I was back smoking regular. One thing that has really worked for me this time is exercise. I run on the treadmill almost every night and I bought a Heavy Bag to take out some of my aggresion ( this really helps during the first week)I suggest wooden tooth picks for the oral fixation. You really cant chew them which is good. You do not want to chew all day. Your jaws will ache at the end of the day. I can tell you that I am about 2 and a half months quit and it has gotten much easier.I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

good job Jersey. at the rate you smoked it was a life and death option to quit. congrats!

Good luck Smoo

back to the subject. thanks! and you are right....NOT EVEN ONE!

you have the worst of it behind you i would guess. don't give up! I highly doubt you will now.

get those "smokey" coughs??...where it tastes like ashtray long after you quit? those alone should be enough.. :X

back to the subject.
The subject is me now, pal. Your 15 minutes is up.Oh, and put your avatar back. I already know what a baby looks like. Yours looks no different.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seriously trying to quit Smoo? Good luck! 150 bucks will buy a lot of Lego.
Step one is upgrading my CPU and motherboard so I can play Sims 2 properly. :nerd:

Good luck Smoo
I know it sounds kinda goofy but if you cut a straw in half and hold it between your fingers it might help on the nervous habit part of it. Also when you take a hit off of the straw you're getting some fresh air instead of smoke. Just something I remember from when I quit eons ago.

I know it sounds kinda goofy but if you cut a straw in half and hold it between your fingers it might help on the nervous habit part of it. Also when you take a hit off of the straw you're getting some fresh air instead of smoke.

Just something I remember from when I quit eons ago.
That's a good idea. I'm chewing on a paper clip right now. That's not as good an idea.

This is not as fun as it sounds.I gotta go buy a bag of chips or something. This non-smoking stuff sucks.

smoo and tipsy,Good luck in getting off cigs. Luckily for me, I never started but I've seen the consequences of smoking.I'm sure you've heard all of this but have you tried Zyban (bupropion) and nicotine replacement (nicotrol and that ilk)? I thought that at least one of those products are in the form of a cigarette-like inhaler to fulfill your oral fetish.Anyway, best of luck getting off the sticks. Anything I can do, let me know.BTW, maybe you could start heroin instead of the cigs, some people here claimed that smack is easier to quit. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch to candy cigarettes. The toughest part is deciding between those weird, brittle sugar types with the red food coloring on the end or the paper wrapped bubble gum ones that are loaded with powder sugar that you can blow out the end for a hit or 2.Come to think of it, those are probably expensive these days, too.Years ago when my dad quit his 2-pack-a-day habit of filterless Pall-Malls, he got hooked on tic-tacs. He was popping them all day long. It satisfied the hand-to-mouth addiction. After a year he was able to quit the tic tacs, but only by taking up smoking cigarettes.

This is getting easier. I don't think I even thought about a cigarette all day yesterday. But every once in a while I still crave one.

This is getting easier. I don't think I even thought about a cigarette all day yesterday. But every once in a while I still crave one.
it does but watch out for the threes...day 3, week 3, month 3, year 3. all my restarts have been a 3. weird.

My prediction for this thread...

The new day one

The new new day one

The new new day one (again)

The NEW day one

The newer day one

The new newer day one

The newest day one

The real day one

The official day one

The ***official*** day one

The new ***official*** day one

The serious this time day one

No reall, this time for real day one

I am ####### serious day one

AAAGH! Damnit.

Smoking day one

Smoking day 3,658
I hate to admit how right you are here.I just hit hour number 46 (day 2)

:rant:

I hate to admit how right you are here.

I just hit hour number 46 (day 2)

:rant:
I feel your pain. :thumbup: One of these days, I'm going to muster up the gumption to seriously try hard...again.

Good luck.

Yesterday was just plain brutal emotionally.I owe my wife flowers or something.also, i just reread this whole thread. what an embarrasment this process has been.Just quit McStagger. Do it for your kid you weak minded fool.

hey tipsy,too much to scroll back. You still nic free?I'm not, I was for maybe a month and now I'm fighting it. I can go a day without a smoke and the next day I "have to". It's not that predictable but...Baby is already teething, precious little sleep became even less sleep and sometimes I just gotta go outside and "get away" for five minutes.I need to replace that "had enough, 5 minute getaway". Got any suggestions? walks bore me. I got a punching bag but didn't really have anything to hang it to so I hung it on a tree. It either falls off(not secured well) or swings so much it's no good.BTW I smell things now. Unbelievable how much I didn't smell before. I imagine that'll make no sense to the non-smokers but.....

hey tipsy,

too much to scroll back. You still nic free?

I'm not, I was for maybe a month and now I'm fighting it. I can go a day without a smoke and the next day I "have to". It's not that predictable but...

Baby is already teething, precious little sleep became even less sleep and sometimes I just gotta go outside and "get away" for five minutes.

I need to replace that "had enough, 5 minute getaway". Got any suggestions?

walks bore me. I got a punching bag but didn't really have anything to hang it to so I hung it on a tree. It either falls off(not secured well) or swings so much it's no good.

BTW I smell things now. Unbelievable how much I didn't smell before. I imagine that'll make no sense to the non-smokers but.....
i will not be dispensing advice here until im on one month clean. im a weak minded idiot without the will power to quit on my own. My method this time:

I'm chewing regular gum, not using the patch or any nicorette type product, and i'm slapping my hand as hard as i can every time i crave one.

It is very tender right now.

Haven't read the whole thing but remember when this started.c'mon man, just make it happen. You know that however bad it gets that you can get through it and it will be worth it when it's done. Just like running a race or other painful experience, you know it won't hurt forever. Be tough.

Haven't read the whole thing but remember when this started.

c'mon man, just make it happen. You know that however bad it gets that you can get through it and it will be worth it when it's done. Just like running a race or other painful experience, you know it won't hurt forever. Be tough.
im just amazed i keep making myself go through the 72 hours of actual physical withdrawl. It is the worst mood you can possibly think of, and i have gone through it at least 4 times this year alone.WHAT IS F*($#$'ing wrong with me?!? WHY DO I KEEP DOING THIS TO MYSELF?

I'm so sick of it.

:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

smoke away is pretty awesome. I never cared for the patch and I used to take the gum to long meetings so I almost(or did) had a habit with them.I can't keep sinking money into these products but I smoked a ton and smokeaway was the best by far. I didn't have fits, I just got wicked headaches and had to count how many aspirin I took each day so I didn't take too many. Also tried cutting down on coffee same time which was bad idea and probably led to headaches too.Have you tried it? It's just "cleansing" herbs and vitamins and some nicotine alternative in it. Plus some almost like candy things that help after if you have cravings. It's just 50 bucks, 50 bucks, 50 bucks...I know I'm at a point it's habitual or me caving and ...well carrying on

I had a cinnamon stick in my mouth "all the time".Spicy foods and enough "red hots" or hot cinnamon sucker candy take cravings away for me. No they don't, well yeah they do. Depends on the day.I'm about as much of an expert as you. Somedays the sorta shock from the spicey-ness works.

I went through this about four years ago. . .I haven't read the whole thread, but the best thing for me was excercise. When I really craved a smoke, I'd go run. By the time I came back, I felt so good with endorphines that I didn't crave one near as bad.

I am being 100% serious here - plus, the athletic gains you see will be just another incentive not to smoke - hard to do aerobic excercise when you smoke.
i need to do this. im getting fatter by the minute.

I went through this about four years ago. . .I haven't read the whole thread, but the best thing for me was excercise. When I really craved a smoke, I'd go run. By the time I came back, I felt so good with endorphines that I didn't crave one near as bad.

I am being 100% serious here - plus, the athletic gains you see will be just another incentive not to smoke - hard to do aerobic excercise when you smoke.
i need to do this. im getting fatter by the minute.
Go join the fat camp thread then. . .I bet Key would make an exception for you to enter.If you got up a half hour early every morning and spent 15 minutes running and 15 minutes doing pushups/situps, your mind would focus more on the physical changes you're seeing and less on the fact that it wants a smoke. Seriously, excercise, to me is as strong a drug as tobacco.
i am in the fat pharm thread. one of the prizes is from me.im doomed to finish at the bottom of that group...which is fine for now as long as i quit smoking!

Hour 60...day 3.Had the first moments of "man that smell makes me sick" today when i walked past a group of smokers at the mall. Yet I still want one right now on the "man, it sure would ease my nerves if i just had one" tip. My mind is trying to play games with me. My body is completely worn out from fighting the cravings for the last 3 days. I slept another 8 hours last night...not bad having a newborn in the house...yet the first thing i thought of this morning was having a smoke. :hot: I said before i've been throught this 72 hour period of actual physical withdrawl at least 4 times since Jan. 1st this year. I still cannot for the life of me understand why I keep starting back & making myself go through this again. This pain is worse than anything I have ever had to deal with in my life. Am i crazy or just plain stupid to keep going back? WTF is your problem McStagger? :rant: Screw being positive or using the little helper phrases from AA & such. This sucks. I want a smoke more than anything in the world right now, but im not going too because i'm tired of being a liar. Quit you selfish bastige. Your son deserves it!I'm going to go rip out bananna trees out of my backyard for some agression therapy right now. Maybe the heat will kill my need for a smoke. (Heat index at 101 right now.)

I'm on day 16. I've had a total of one cigarette (back on day 6) and a couple of drags from another (on day 10). Otherwise, nothing.

I'm on day 16. I've had a total of one cigarette (back on day 6) and a couple of drags from another (on day 10). Otherwise, nothing.
Smoo...i support your quitting and hope you continue to do well. I personally cannot have one puff. The info i've been reading since January has all been true. One cig = one step to being a full fledged smoker again for me. I've always slipped back into smoking after I have had a smoke/drag/puff whatever. This time, i am giving myself a no tolerance limit. One strike...buy a pack...smoke all 20 as fast as possible...go through the 72 hours of hell again.I don't really want to go through this pain again, so i'm not having any right now. Lets hope my weak mind will allow that. :hot:

Keep up the good work brother :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread