What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (3 Viewers)

Totally not in the market for a pickup truck. We have a Honda Pilot and a Model 3.

Hated the ugly design while watching the reveal, was hoping for something more mainstream so Tesla would sell boat(tm)loads.

Placed a pre-order today. Can see this functionally replacing our Pilot in 2 1/2 years at the same price point, while adding additional functionality.

All I needed was a light blue-metallic wrap to convince the wife. https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-Series-1080-Satin-Perfect-Blue-Vinyl.html

Totally not in the market for a pickup truck. We have a Honda Pilot and a Model 3.

Hated the ugly design while watching the reveal, was hoping for something more mainstream so Tesla would sell boat(tm)loads.

Placed a pre-order today. Can see this functionally replacing our Pilot in 2 1/2 years at the same price point, while adding additional functionality.

All I needed was a light blue-metallic wrap to convince the wife. https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-Series-1080-Satin-Perfect-Blue-Vinyl.html
May not need the wrap 😲

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)

Anyone have that BMW i3?

They are giving these things away. For a commuter car it seems pretty awesome .
How cheap is "giving it away"?

If the range and size works for you and the price is right, do it. I will never regret transitioning to an EV. But, I would have regretted compromising and buying a Bolt or a Kona over the Model 3.

How cheap is "giving it away"?

If the range and size works for you and the price is right, do it. I will never regret transitioning to an EV. But, I would have regretted compromising and buying a Bolt or a Kona over the Model 3.
I was looking at a used ones with very low miles and they are around 22k. I’m guessing these are leases that were turned in.

Range is about 160 miles or so and work has chargers. It would be my primary car but wife has a traditional for road trips.

I’m not a car guy but do like riding in well designed cars.

Pretty close to pulling the trigger.

I was looking at a used ones with very low miles and they are around 22k. I’m guessing these are leases that were turned in.

Range is about 160 miles or so and work has chargers. It would be my primary car but wife has a traditional for road trips.

I’m not a car guy but do like riding in well designed cars.

Pretty close to pulling the trigger.
Does your work offer free charging? Is it heavily used, or readily available day to day? How far is your round trip commute?

I don't know anything about the i3 charging port, but make sure the charging cable matches or you can get an adapter.

Sounds like a no brainer if your commute is short, you can get free charging and a discount on the car.

Does your work offer free charging? Is it heavily used, or readily available day to day? How far is your round trip commute?

I don't know anything about the i3 charging port, but make sure the charging cable matches or you can get an adapter.

Sounds like a no brainer if your commute is short, you can get free charging and a discount on the car.
I do have free charging at work and it does the do the i3.

I’m going to do a test drive when I have a chance.

Anyone have that BMW i3?

I3 has the really unique feature set that you have a gas engine that charges the battery if you find yourself somewhere you can't charge it.  Different models have different setups but the concept is actually interesting

I3 has the really unique feature set that you have a gas engine that charges the battery if you find yourself somewhere you can't charge it.  Different models have different setups but the concept is actually interesting
Yeah. It’s got a 2 gallon tank (at least the ones I’m looking at do) . I think they may be discontinuing the model but I’m only looking to keep for a few years anyway.

Got the BMW styling. Was shocked at how cheap they are. 

Yeah. It’s got a 2 gallon tank (at least the ones I’m looking at do) . I think they may be discontinuing the model but I’m only looking to keep for a few years anyway.

Got the BMW styling. Was shocked at how cheap they are. 
They had to get rid of it to meet some EU standards. Plus nobody ever used it.  

Wow, I didn't even know about the reveal and my youngest showed me a picture with Elon and I laughed at him telling him it was obviously photoshopped and not real. Then I watched the video with the glass breaking and damn, color me 100% shocked by the design. It's hideous.

The concepts in the links on the last page were really cool. This Cybertruck (yes @GroveDiesel, the name is terrible) is as bad as the Aztek or Element. It's just plain ugly. I can only imagine how hard people would laugh at the goober who drives up to the construction site in this. Sorry, but it just looks so out of place in the rest of their lineup. It looks like a joke and that was the first thing I thought. Fan boys will love it, they have to, but damn I just can't wait to point and laugh at the first person I see driving one.

A guy in the building next to mine has a silver i8.  I see him every couple of days, and I can't help but gawk.  That is a sexy effing car.  

On first impression I hate the look of the truck. I never thought I'd see a vehicle that made the Pontiac Aztec look normal. Maybe this will be like every Radiohead album ever released and I will "get it" a year later.

The (hideous) Cybertruck design is a result of choosing function over form. This truck will not be built like normal trucks, or normal cars for that matter.

The stainless steel/titanium alloy will be formed into a sheet. The sheet will be laser cut to remove unnecessary parts and then laser cut again to create creases for folds. The sheet will then be folded into shape, like origami. The stainless steel body becomes the exoskeleton (i.e. the frame of the vehicle).

The ease of manufacturing is why the truck, with it's specs, starts at $39,990 and not $49,990 or $59,990.

And for $39,990, I'm having a hard time figuring out why this can not easily replace our Pilot as our family vehicle (other than looks). Seats 6, the covered 6.5" bed can haul whatever cargo needed and the uncovered bed can haul things you wouldn't put into the Pilot in the first place. There is no other EV announced that can replace the usefulness of our Pilot at a price point I can stomach.

The (hideous) Cybertruck design is a result of choosing function over form. This truck will not be built like normal trucks, or normal cars for that matter.

The stainless steel/titanium alloy will be formed into a sheet. The sheet will be laser cut to remove unnecessary parts and then laser cut again to create creases for folds. The sheet will then be folded into shape, like origami. The stainless steel body becomes the exoskeleton (i.e. the frame of the vehicle).

The ease of manufacturing is why the truck, with it's specs, starts at $39,990 and not $49,990 or $59,990.

And for $39,990, I'm having a hard time figuring out why this can not easily replace our Pilot as our family vehicle (other than looks). Seats 6, the covered 6.5" bed can haul whatever cargo needed and the uncovered bed can haul things you wouldn't put into the Pilot in the first place. There is no other EV announced that can replace the usefulness of our Pilot at a price point I can stomach.
It's alot bigger than I thought.  I'm not even sure I could get it in my garage. 

It's alot bigger than I thought.  I'm not even sure I could get it in my garage. 
I got so disappointed when I saw this image the other day.   I knew it was big, but I'm not fooling around with parking this beast anywhere.   No way in hell it will fit in my garage, maybe not even whats left in my driveway.  I'll wait for the Tacoma sized version now  :(

@Dragons Keep your eye on the Y coming out next year.  They're rolling out their standard model next year and in 2021 they'll have a 7 seat version.  I don't think it will be as big as a Pilot, but it should be a solid cross over SUV that is manageable. 

7 seat Long Range version is $51k out the door.  

I got so disappointed when I saw this image the other day.   I knew it was big, but I'm not fooling around with parking this beast anywhere.   No way in hell it will fit in my garage, maybe not even whats left in my driveway.  I'll wait for the Tacoma sized version now  :(

@Dragons Keep your eye on the Y coming out next year.  They're rolling out their standard model next year and in 2021 they'll have a 7 seat version.  I don't think it will be as big as a Pilot, but it should be a solid cross over SUV that is manageable. 

From the minimal pictures I've seen (there are no good ones, just people peeking in the hatch window), the 3rd row is going to be useless/tiny child sized. :sadbanana:

From the minimal pictures I've seen (there are no good ones, just people peeking in the hatch window), the 3rd row is going to be useless/tiny child sized. :sadbanana:
I pretty much agree,  but from some of the size comparisons out there the Y is bigger than the 3 by more than I thought it would be.  Its no X.  But yeah, there are no pictures out there to confirm anything.  

Comparison.  

None of their offerings fit anything I need in a car. The new truck is closest, but we have 4Runners to put the back seats down and haul dogs around to the lake, strap kayaks to the roof, and fall stuff. I need something the size of the cybertruck, but with a spacious cargo area fit for living things and pet beds. 

I have a basic plan of replacing my 3 with a Y at some point when the $ makes sense. I've wondered if the Y would be large enough to replace the Pilot, too, but will have to see it in person to make sure the cargo space is there. We often travel with 2 large dogs, plus we have 2 boys that don't stop growing. I am having a hard time imagining the Y being big enough, but I won't give up hope until I can see it. The X would work, but I'm having trouble rationalizing that purchase.

I have a basic plan of replacing my 3 with a Y at some point when the $ makes sense. I've wondered if the Y would be large enough to replace the Pilot, too, but will have to see it in person to make sure the cargo space is there. We often travel with 2 large dogs, plus we have 2 boys that don't stop growing. I am having a hard time imagining the Y being big enough, but I won't give up hope until I can see it. The X would work, but I'm having trouble rationalizing that purchase.
Seats down MY is 66 c.f. of space which is slightly less than the CRV, which is about 10 c.f. less than the Pilot.

I don't understand why the X has to be $100k.   I get the luxury side of things, but with the truck being under $50k it seems like there is a place for a full sized SUV that shouldn't be much more.  

I don't understand why the X has to be $100k.   I get the luxury side of things, but with the truck being under $50k it seems like there is a place for a full sized SUV that shouldn't be much more.  
I agree. I think the truck will be getting newer battery tech, which will bring some of the costs down. I would guess it will make it's way into the X, but they can't announce dramatically lower future pricing without screwing up today's sales.

I agree. I think the truck will be getting newer battery tech, which will bring some of the costs down. I would guess it will make it's way into the X, but they can't announce dramatically lower future pricing without screwing up today's sales.
It didn't seem to stop them with the 3->S thing.  

jb1020 said:
Margins.I'd be surprised if you see that middle ground before they feel like they're safely at a production/sales volume that will keep them cash flow positive for the foreseeable future.  You can't be as small as they are and live on high-volume, low-margin vehicles in every segment. Something has to supplement the bottom line.  

culdeus said:
At 232" it's too long for my garage. Currently have a Jaguar XJL which is a long car @ 207". I only have 6" clearance in front and back with this car.

Not sure I want to charge outside everyday

The General said:
Anyone have that BMW i3?

It's probably a great car, but it's all time ugly. Especially from a manufacturer that has so many nice designs.

Saw a guy in a full sized truck yesterday struggling to park in a crowded Whole Foods parking lot.  I had forgotten about what a pain that was when I had a Tundra.  While I do love the cyber truck, I doubt I'll even own one.  

Worm said:
Seats down MY is 66 c.f. of space which is slightly less than the CRV, which is about 10 c.f. less than the Pilot.
Well you just ruined my day.  Hoping to replace my Toyota RAV4 with something a bit larger in a few years and was hoping the Y would do the trick.  Guess not.  Need something that can carry 2 adults, at least one kid, at least one dog, a few mountain bikes on top and still tow at least 3,500 pounds.  Oh, and get decent mileage or be an EV.  Maybe a used X?

It's probably a great car, but it's all time ugly. Especially from a manufacturer that has so many nice designs.
Definitely fugly. I’m not really a car guy though so just looking for good function.

Drove one yesterday. Was super quiet, very quick. Lots of room inside for being so tiny. Pretty sure I’m going to pick one up before end of year. No gas, no oil changes, very little maintenance. They need to start putting these super chargers everywhere.  

Rumor is 200,000 reservations have been made so far.  Its only $100 and refundable.  Who knows.  
Just reserved one.  Why the hell not.  My initial reaction was it's kind of ugly, but it sure sounds functional as hell, and I'm sure drives and performs well. 

After hemming and hawing I jumped in on the Tesla. This waitlist stuff is weird for a car but either way I'm in.

Model 3 with plus range. After test driving this and a few other electrics this one was the most fun and had best range.

Was close to getting the AWD but am too cheap, won't be driving it that much, and the wife already has an AWD car for trips to the mountains.

After hemming and hawing I jumped in on the Tesla. This waitlist stuff is weird for a car but either way I'm in.

Model 3 with plus range. After test driving this and a few other electrics this one was the most fun and had best range.

Was close to getting the AWD but am too cheap, won't be driving it that much, and the wife already has an AWD car for trips to the mountains.
Curious if you test drove the AWD before buying the SR+?

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I've been reading about "solid state batteries" sounds like they will be a game changer.
Are they still expensive?  

I got this from the wikis:

It was estimated in 2012 that, based on then-current technology, a 20 Ah solid-state battery cell would cost US$100,000, and a high-range electric car would require 800 to 1,000 of such cells.[7] Cost has impeded the adoption of solid-state batteries in other areas, such as smartphones.
But then read this about beating solid state batteries:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/09/tesla-battery-guru-jeff-dahn-claims-new-lithium-ion-cell-outperforms-solid-state-batteries/

Users who are viewing this thread