What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

I'll know later today if my car is totaled.  From everything I've read and every one I've spoken too its absolutely totaled.  I was talking to one of these "Tesla Influencers" on twitter and he wants me to tweet the pics and video to Elon and Tesla.  Said they might make it go viral and Elon might hook me up.  Not sure I feel comfortable doing that. 
Why not? You absolutely should. You don't do it asking for something. That's just gravy if it happens. You do it touting the outcome from a safety perspective and let them react as they may. Something like, "I fear my @Tesla is totaled, but this could have been so much worse. It's amazing how little damage was done to the cabin and to me. Thanks @ElonMusk"

Why not? You absolutely should. You don't do it asking for something. That's just gravy if it happens. You do it touting the outcome from a safety perspective and let them react as they may. Something like, "I fear my @Tesla is totaled, but this could have been so much worse. It's amazing how little damage was done to the cabin and to me. Thanks @ElonMusk"
And you could go really sappy and say something like "thank you for allowing me to spend the holidays with my friends in family in my own home, rather than a hospital bed." 

Should be no issue releasing video, but if it were me, I'd find a way to hide license plates and other identifiable info. 

I had a call from the other guys ins this morning.  He asked me to give a statement, I told him I could give a video.  He got pumped, but insisted we do the statement first.  

I sent him the video after the recording,  but was still on the phone.  He was speechless for a few seconds.   Said they'll have me a premium rental ready shortly.  

My insurance just sent and adjuster out.  Said its about $18k in damages that he can see.  Basically said they have to take apart the front and back ends to get a true assessment.   Said that might take til the end of the week.  He all but said it was a total.  I reminded him the other guy has admitted fault.  I hope nothing gets hung up there.   I don't have any experience with accidents like this, but after spending this much on a car I'm gonna be pissed if it gets put back together.  

Do you need the rental? If you have another option you can drive personally, you can probably get them to cut you a check for a lesser amount per day than the rental cost.

Do you need the rental? If you have another option you can drive personally, you can probably get them to cut you a check for a lesser amount per day than the rental cost.
Nah, I need a rental.   With the lag time there is on getting a new Tesla I might have to have it for a while.  

Nah, I need a rental.   With the lag time there is on getting a new Tesla I might have to have it for a while.  
Once they total the car out usually you have only a day or two to return the rental.  In some rare situations the insured will give you access to discount rates, but that usually isn't some screaming deal.  

I had a call from the other guys ins this morning.  He asked me to give a statement, I told him I could give a video.  He got pumped, but insisted we do the statement first.  

I sent him the video after the recording,  but was still on the phone.  He was speechless for a few seconds.   Said they'll have me a premium rental ready shortly.  

My insurance just sent and adjuster out.  Said its about $18k in damages that he can see.  Basically said they have to take apart the front and back ends to get a true assessment.   Said that might take til the end of the week.  He all but said it was a total.  I reminded him the other guy has admitted fault.  I hope nothing gets hung up there.   I don't have any experience with accidents like this, but after spending this much on a car I'm gonna be pissed if it gets put back together.  
Your video is all you need.  I've been in the exact same type of wreck before.  The only issue they will have is unwinding car 2 and car 1 situation.  You being car 3.  Car 2 and Car 1 might not know you have the video and they might play set back games with car 2.

A nice touch - my house is built in the 50’s so things are small. The garage is tiny. Still getting the dimensions figured on this car and when pulling into the garage I fold in the side mirrors just to be safe. 

Today the car gave me a notification noticing I fold the mirrors every time at this location and asked if I want to do this automatically moving forward.

Nice work, Elon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously considering getting a used X now.  The 2016-17 75D and 90D with less than 40k miles on them are in the $60kish range now.  Seems like for another $10k out of pocket this would be a good opportunity to upgrade.  

Is that dumb?  I get it will be a step down in range and tech.  I didn't have AP or FSD on my 3 and never cared to pay the price to upgrade, so the old AP in these 4 year old X's wouldn't be an issue.  
Please keep us updated on what you decide and why (assuming the totaled 3 of course). I’ve been squarely on this fence (3 vs used S) for months now.  

Please keep us updated on what you decide and why (assuming the totaled 3 of course). I’ve been squarely on this fence (3 vs used S) for months now.  
Still no word on if I'm totaled or not, but from everything I've read and posted on other Tesla message boards...shes a goner.   I'm gonna stick with the approach of having to find something new for the time being.  

For your sake, the X and the S are virtually the same when it comes to battery and hardware.  This is a helpful website - Timelines for Vehicles and Variants

This weekend I was dead set on a 2016 or 17 X.  Either the 75D or 90D.  I'd like the room for my kids.  Unfortunately this morning I woke up thinking that was dumb.  Why spend an extra $15-20k for something with 40k miles and a 4 year old battery and outdated hardware.  I know any hardware will become outdated as time goes by, but its taking a big step back, when I could take a step forward.   Charging speeds at a SC are big hiccup right now.  From what I've read to get back on the road during a trip the 2016 X 75D would take an hour...where a 3 would take about 15 minutes to add the same amount of mileage.

My wife wants the used X.   She gets frustrated putting all three kids in the 3 to run around town.  They fit just fine, but they argue.  They would argue in a limo...they're 9,7 and 4.  

I worry 2 years from now when her 2012 Honda Van dies what will we do?  She thinks I can get a 3 then and she'll take the X.  I think battery degradation and old hardware will make the resale value plummet for the X.   I'm not sure being an all electric family in Mississippi is a good option.  

I don't know...I need more coffee!  I love driving that 3.  If I can get a brand new one with virtually nothing out of pocket thats probably the way I'd go.  

Still no word on if I'm totaled or not, but from everything I've read and posted on other Tesla message boards...shes a goner.   I'm gonna stick with the approach of having to find something new for the time being.  

For your sake, the X and the S are virtually the same when it comes to battery and hardware.  This is a helpful website - Timelines for Vehicles and Variants

This weekend I was dead set on a 2016 or 17 X.  Either the 75D or 90D.  I'd like the room for my kids.  Unfortunately this morning I woke up thinking that was dumb.  Why spend an extra $15-20k for something with 40k miles and a 4 year old battery and outdated hardware.  I know any hardware will become outdated as time goes by, but its taking a big step back, when I could take a step forward.   Charging speeds at a SC are big hiccup right now.  From what I've read to get back on the road during a trip the 2016 X 75D would take an hour...where a 3 would take about 15 minutes to add the same amount of mileage.

My wife wants the used X.   She gets frustrated putting all three kids in the 3 to run around town.  They fit just fine, but they argue.  They would argue in a limo...they're 9,7 and 4.  

I worry 2 years from now when her 2012 Honda Van dies what will we do?  She thinks I can get a 3 then and she'll take the X.  I think battery degradation and old hardware will make the resale value plummet for the X.   I'm not sure being an all electric family in Mississippi is a good option.  

I don't know...I need more coffee!  I love driving that 3.  If I can get a brand new one with virtually nothing out of pocket thats probably the way I'd go.  
Buy a 3 now and a CyberTruck in a couple years to replace the Honda. It has all kinds of room and looks like it will be functionally better than the X in every way and be able to do a lot more on top of that. 

Too bad you can't get some kind of bridge car for a year or so and get a Y.

The Y seems to fit your needs better, but I'd hate to drive something else for a year waiting for it.

Yeah, I don't know what I would do for a year waiting on the Y.  

Honestly, I can't convince myself that the 7 seat Y will ever be worth a damn.  I have a Mitsubishi Outlander as a loaner right now and it has a 3rd row.  My 9 yo hopped in last night and he could barely fit.  

I might go ahead and put the $100 down to get the new Model 3 going.  It was a $2500 down payment when I did this in March.  5-8 weeks is the delivery time right now.   I know I can't keep that rental this long, unless the other insurance really wants me to stay happy in this process.     

My wife got to drive a friends 3 this week. Looks like I will be saving up for the next few years until our 5 year old Outback is ready to be replaced (or I take it over once my 17 year old Tacoma finally dies) as she loved it. She drives a lot each day for her job (but not more than a single charge should be able to cover in one day) and we have solar panels on our house already. Looks like I will have to start researching this stuff more.

My wife got to drive a friends 3 this week. Looks like I will be saving up for the next few years until our 5 year old Outback is ready to be replaced (or I take it over once my 17 year old Tacoma finally dies) as she loved it. She drives a lot each day for her job (but not more than a single charge should be able to cover in one day) and we have solar panels on our house already. Looks like I will have to start researching this stuff more.
welcome, there's punch and cookies in the back.

I'm sure they keep the lid on this kinda thing, but how close is Elon and company (or anyone else) from having a breakthrough on some new battery tech allowing these things to drive twice as far on a single charge?  If/when that happens, I'd have to imagine the market on the current stuff would drop significantly. 

I'm sure they keep the lid on this kinda thing, but how close is Elon and company (or anyone else) from having a breakthrough on some new battery tech allowing these things to drive twice as far on a single charge?  If/when that happens, I'd have to imagine the market on the current stuff would drop significantly. 
I mean what exactly are you expecting?  There are a limited number of elements on the periodic table.  

I also continue to reject the notion that people need a car that has >220 mile range as a daily driver.  Range anxiety, while real, is anything but rational. 

I mean what exactly are you expecting?  There are a limited number of elements on the periodic table.  

I also continue to reject the notion that people need a car that has >220 mile range as a daily driver.  Range anxiety, while real, is anything but rational. 
I'm expecting these things to become more efficient - either by them or someone else entering this market.  Either to produce (thus making them cheaper), to charge, to travel, or something else.  Maybe range as my example above wasn't great (220 miles is more than enough for me) - just mean that BEVs in the big scheme of things are a pretty new type of technology.  While I'd love to have one, I don't want to spend $45-50k on one that will either be selling for $30k in a year or two, or even obsolete (or on it's way to being so) from some other technology. 

I mean Teslas made the Prius and Nissan Leaf obsolete (they sell about a third of them that they did 10 years ago) as it has with quite a few other "next thing" cars.

In other words, I don't want to be the guy buying a Intel Pentium II computer when the Pentium III is only a few months away.

There's always going to be new tech. Just get in when you have the need. If you are waiting for the top end of what could be you will never get in.

After having the car for a bit the range figures on these is a bit of hyperbole. My commute is about 14 miles but I lose about 10% of my range and that is driving normally, only using regen braking for vast majority of trip. It has been a bit cool in my area so I'm using heater a bit and I believe battery doesn't function as well in cooler weather but still. 

I'm sure I'll stop paying attention to this as I have the car longer but will come into play as I drive the car on further trips.

I'm expecting these things to become more efficient - either by them or someone else entering this market.  Either to produce (thus making them cheaper), to charge, to travel, or something else.  Maybe range as my example above wasn't great (220 miles is more than enough for me) - just mean that BEVs in the big scheme of things are a pretty new type of technology.  While I'd love to have one, I don't want to spend $45-50k on one that will either be selling for $30k in a year or two, or even obsolete (or on it's way to being so) from some other technology. 

I mean Teslas made the Prius and Nissan Leaf obsolete (they sell about a third of them that they did 10 years ago) as it has with quite a few other "next thing" cars.

In other words, I don't want to be the guy buying a Intel Pentium II computer when the Pentium III is only a few months away.
One could argue the Leaf already has better battery tech. Nissan just never understood their buyers true motivations when they designed the Leaf. Look at the stupid name for the answer. Their buyers wanted cool, fast, high tech, fun to drive cars. Nissan thought they wanted to save the environment.

Leaf batteries are the most sought after on the aftermarket.  People build all kinds of cool aftermarket vehicles with them.  Golf carts, boat motors, motorcycles, etc. Even home powerwalls.  The packs are much more energy dense and resistant to stress than the bazillion 18650 cells Tesla uses.

Daily driver? No. But it would be nice to not NEED another car to be able to confidently drive 300-350 miles to Las Vegas or San Diego without HAVING to stop to charge.

Daily driver? No. But it would be nice to not NEED another car to be able to confidently drive 300-350 miles to Las Vegas or San Diego without HAVING to stop to charge.
If this is a once in a year or quarter thing then I just don't understand the hangup.  If you can't spare the extra half hour at a supercharger each way then not sure what to tell you.  Seems like such a small concern for a narrow use case

One could argue the Leaf already has better battery tech. Nissan just never understood their buyers true motivations when they designed the Leaf. Look at the stupid name for the answer. Their buyers wanted cool, fast, high tech, fun to drive cars. Nissan thought they wanted to save the environment.

Leaf batteries are the most sought after on the aftermarket.  People build all kinds of cool aftermarket vehicles with them.  Golf carts, boat motors, motorcycles, etc. Even home powerwalls.  The packs are much more energy dense and resistant to stress than the bazillion 18650 cells Tesla uses.
LOL, one could argue anything.

Leaf batteries are the most sought after after-market because they're plentiful and cheap, not because they were better for the original application. After they've lost 30-50% of of their capacity, their continued degradation is probably minimal. No thermal management killed their batteries. If the chemistry was superior, perhaps we'll never know. If only they put thermal management into the pack, which is important for a high stress application such as automobiles, and not so much as golf carts and power walls.

LOL, one could argue anything.

Leaf batteries are the most sought after after-market because they're plentiful and cheap, not because they were better for the original application. After they've lost 30-50% of of their capacity, their continued degradation is probably minimal. No thermal management killed their batteries. If the chemistry was superior, perhaps we'll never know. If only they put thermal management into the pack, which is important for a high stress application such as automobiles, and not so much as golf carts and power walls.
The capacity degradation was only the first generation and nowhere close to 30-50%. I can build cells out of 18650's but don't because the BMS is much more complex and they do require thermal management, even for golf carts and power walls.

that is a nice link.  thanks :thumbup:
Found this website to be helpful in deciding which one to buy.  Still undecided, but leaning towards the X 90D again.  I plugged in a few of our routine family destinations like Disney and the beach and it paints a pretty accurate picture of your the time you'd spend at a SC.  It it definitely longer to charge, but honestly doing it once or twice a year I can get over it.  

For example....

Regular gas car its 11:10 to get from my house to Disney.  

In my 3, which we've never done would be 12:32 total with 3 stops at a SC.

In a X 75D the trip would be 14:22.  5 stops at SC's.

X 90D its 13:57.  5 stops at SC's.

None of these SC's are out of the way at all.  

There is totally a difference, but unless you make that trip every month its not that big a deal, at least to me.   Half the time we make the Disney trip we stop over night.  Most hotels have destination chargers now you can plug in to.  

Just food for thought...it might help you to play around with it.  

How are you supposed to differentiate the 2016 75D (for example) from that worksheet?  
If I understand, you mean the difference in the early April 2016-Sept 16 and the Oct 2016-June 2017? 

That worksheet shows the MCU in the later version is #2.  My understanding is that if it is the early version it will be advertised as "Autopilot"  version 2 will have "autopilot with convenience features."  I think the hardware has everything to do with AP.  From my week of shopping practically all of them are the later version.   

Anecdotal, but reliable source - buddy who runs a NorCal showroom said to stay away from the used X's. S's are fine and thinks they're good values, but there were too many problems with the early X's.  Having dinner with him tonight and can get more details.

P3D arrives next week!

Actually, my buddy bought a '14 S. '13? One of the two, I can't recall.  Anyway, they've had nothing but problems with it. I'm kinda torn.  Mine is a '15 and the fan motor is the only issue I've had so far.  On the one hand, I'm glad I'm not at the service center every other month. On the other hand, he's going to have a brand new freakin car by the time his warranty is up. 

Followed up with the at fault adjuster on Friday.  He said the estimator anticipates it to be a total loss, but they have to wait confirmation.  

I just can't justify paying $60k for a used X.  Its just too much.  We decided its time to replace my wifes Honda Van.  Its 8 years old and 115k miles.  I talked her into looking at the Subaru Ascent and those things are pretty nifty.  I won't say too much about it since this is a Tesla thread, but its a nice upgrade for her.  I'll take the Honda for a few months.  You can get the loaded out 2020 Ascent for about $45k so we'll come out ahead and have the family car for the next 5-8. 

That gives me time to see how the Y unfolds.  I don't think it will be ideal, but I'd like to see it.  If it doesn't work I'll just get another 3 at that point.  

I got a call from the injury adjuster Friday, but haven't called him back.  Realistically what can I expect here?  I've had people tell me to just hire an attorney, but I'd rather not.  I had a sore back for a few days and where my head hit my head rest is still pretty tender feeling.  

If they ask me what am I looking for what do I say?  Or will they?  

I'm really just mad at this point.  That guy could have killed us if we were in another car.  Every time I watch the video I get madder and madder.  

jb1020 said:
Followed up with the at fault adjuster on Friday.  He said the estimator anticipates it to be a total loss, but they have to wait confirmation.  

I just can't justify paying $60k for a used X.  Its just too much.  We decided its time to replace my wifes Honda Van.  Its 8 years old and 115k miles.  I talked her into looking at the Subaru Ascent and those things are pretty nifty.  I won't say too much about it since this is a Tesla thread, but its a nice upgrade for her.  I'll take the Honda for a few months.  You can get the loaded out 2020 Ascent for about $45k so we'll come out ahead and have the family car for the next 5-8. 

That gives me time to see how the Y unfolds.  I don't think it will be ideal, but I'd like to see it.  If it doesn't work I'll just get another 3 at that point.  

I got a call from the injury adjuster Friday, but haven't called him back.  Realistically what can I expect here?  I've had people tell me to just hire an attorney, but I'd rather not.  I had a sore back for a few days and where my head hit my head rest is still pretty tender feeling.  

If they ask me what am I looking for what do I say?  Or will they?  

I'm really just mad at this point.  That guy could have killed us if we were in another car.  Every time I watch the video I get madder and madder.  
Why not?  What's it missing for you?  Too small?

On the injury stuff, did you seek or obtain any medical treatment?

Why not?  What's it missing for you?  Too small?

On the injury stuff, did you seek or obtain any medical treatment?
I'd like to see the third row.  After shopping this weekend with the wife we looked at a lot of these cross over SUV's.  Most had a 3rd row, most seemed fairly unusable.  If I think a kid can get back there and be comfy, I'll get the Y.  Otherwise I'll get the 3 again.  I think the 3 is a Sleeker design, plus you get a bump in range and acceleration.  

I did end up going to the ER a couple of hours after the accident.  When my wife came and picked me up from work I started feeling a little woozy.  She took me to the ER to make sure I didn't have any internal brain bleeding.  They put me in the tube and said everything looked fine.  Said I likely had a concussion just based on the impact and the fact that I felt light headed and woozy.  Otherwise it was about 4-5 days of being sore.  The impact where the headrest hit the back of my head has been the worst part.  It still hurts from time to time, but nothing I'd consider having to go to a doctor for.  

I'd like to see the third row.  After shopping this weekend with the wife we looked at a lot of these cross over SUV's.  Most had a 3rd row, most seemed fairly unusable.  If I think a kid can get back there and be comfy, I'll get the Y.  Otherwise I'll get the 3 again.  I think the 3 is a Sleeker design, plus you get a bump in range and acceleration.  

I did end up going to the ER a couple of hours after the accident.  When my wife came and picked me up from work I started feeling a little woozy.  She took me to the ER to make sure I didn't have any internal brain bleeding.  They put me in the tube and said everything looked fine.  Said I likely had a concussion just based on the impact and the fact that I felt light headed and woozy.  Otherwise it was about 4-5 days of being sore.  The impact where the headrest hit the back of my head has been the worst part.  It still hurts from time to time, but nothing I'd consider having to go to a doctor for. 
I think you and I are in a similar situation with the Y, at least with it's size.  You need a usable third row, I'd like for it to be able to tow at least 3,500 pounds safely.  It may end up being just a bit too small, and the Subaru that you got is on our list for when my RAV4 is replaced.

If you ended up with an ER visit with an MRI (tube), you may want to speak with a lawyer just to get a feel for what to expect.  I'm sure the MRI wasn't cheap. 

ETA - made a call for you, sorta.  You may know me as the health insurance guy here, but I work in a P&C office (property and casualty).  Talked with an agent here about what I know from your situation (having seen the video).  On the injury adjuster stuff - let them be the one to throw out the first number, then give it some time no matter what it is to accept or reject it.  We're what - 10 days post accident?  Give it at least two weeks to make sure nothing pops back up and no soreness returns.  Given that video is there, you might expect medical bills to be paid and $2k pain and suffering as a starting point. 

Thanks for the input.  Honestly, I'm truly happy I wasn't seriously hurt, but my guess is the 3 other people in this accident probably have attorneys already, or will get them.  The guy in the lead car left in an ambulance because of knee pain.  He'll probably end up  looking for 6 figures and with the video its hard to argue against it not being a rough impact.  

$2k would probably just piss me off haha.  Clearly at fault, clearly reckless...its an easy case for me to take to an attorney you know?  I just really don't want to at this point.  

Thanks for the input.  Honestly, I'm truly happy I wasn't seriously hurt, but my guess is the 3 other people in this accident probably have attorneys already, or will get them.  The guy in the lead car left in an ambulance because of knee pain.  He'll probably end up  looking for 6 figures and with the video its hard to argue against it not being a rough impact.  

$2k would probably just piss me off haha.  Clearly at fault, clearly reckless...its an easy case for me to take to an attorney you know?  I just really don't want to at this point.  
That was just his guess, and he hasn't seen the video.  He was just basing that off of what I told him, and my phrasing of it "likely" being totaled (I'm sure it will be). 

It was a company van.  I'm surprised you don't have lawyers cold calling you.  Seriously. 

It will be interesting to see what happens now that the Fed Tax credit for Tesla has expired.   I'd have to do more digging than I care to now, but every time the tax credit lowered there was a price adjustment in the car.  Either the overall price went down, or an add on like AutoPilot became standard.  

Seems like demand is at an all time high though.  

Users who are viewing this thread