What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (10 Viewers)

'Touchdown There said:
Do you guys think he is going to get an opportunity in 2012?
I have to say this is something that I like about the Seahawks under coach Carroll. He believes in competition across all positions on his team. He doesn't care so much about the size of a guys paycheck when determining who's going to play. I think the evidence clearly shows he plays the best players regardless of what perceptions might be.

Pete Carroll and some Seattle vets who have been watching the rookie camp have said that Russell Wilson has been the most impressive rookie.

That's all fine and dandy but have to see how he does with the vets and up against Flynn and T-Jax.

I like him a lot but also wonder how he'll do with NFL competition.I don't know what the Hawks have been doing QB wise. They pay Flynn a lot of cash and then are giddy when they got Wilson in the 3rd. Then before that had Whitehurst and TJax.Time will tell I guess.

I hope so, but put me in the Flynn camp. I think he will be successful and thus push Wilson into the permanent back up role until he graduates from his rookie contract
Maybe but Wilson has almost as much NFL game competition as Flynn.I wasn't impressed with Flynn against the Pats but he looked great last year. Still it is just one game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell Wilson in mix to start at QB, Seahawks' Carroll says

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Sunday that third-round draft pick Russell Wilson has earned a spot in the contest to be the team's starting quarterback.

"He showed us enough," Carroll told the Seahawks' official website. "He's in the competition. That is going to tax us, as we know. It was already going to be taxing with two, but he's shown us enough that we need to see where he fits in with these guys."

Carroll had already said free-agent acquisition Matt Flynn and veteran Tarvaris Jackson would fight for the top spot. Now, apparently, Wilson can be added to that mix.

At Seattle's rookie minicamp over the weekend, the Wisconsin product took all of the snaps, leaving the other two quarterbacks in attendance -- Chris Hart and Josh McGregor -- to watch him work. He struggled to throw deep with consistency, but Carroll still liked what he saw after more than 70 plays.

Wilson completed 225 passes for 3,175 yards and 33 touchdowns at Wisconsin during the 2011 season.

The Seahawks signed Flynn to a three-year, $26 million deal in March. Flynn has started in only two games for the Green Bay Packers in the past two seasons, but completed 55 passes for 731 yards and nine touchdowns in those appearances.

Jackson ended the 2011 season as Seattle's starter. He was limited last season by a pectoral injury but still started 14 games and threw for 3,091 yards and 14 touchdowns.

I like him a lot but also wonder how he'll do with NFL competition.I don't know what the Hawks have been doing QB wise. They pay Flynn a lot of cash and then are giddy when they got Wilson in the 3rd. Then before that had Whitehurst and TJax.Time will tell I guess.

I hope so, but put me in the Flynn camp. I think he will be successful and thus push Wilson into the permanent back up role until he graduates from his rookie contract
Maybe but Wilson has almost as much NFL game competition as Flynn.I wasn't impressed with Flynn against the Pats but he looked great last year. Still it is just one game.
Pete doesn't seem to care about how mucch money a guy makes and 8mill a year isn't that much........8mill is all alex smith could extort drom us so its low low end watch your ### starter money

"He showed us enough," Carroll told the Seahawks' official website. "He's in the competition. That is going to tax us, as we know. It was already going to be taxing with two, but he's shown us enough that we need to see where he fits in with these guys."
It's on. Wilson snatches the job and never looks back. This guy is a QB.

QBBC - 3 guys who arent special. I see Seattle drafting another QB in 2 years
Im guessing the dump Tjax and keep Flynn, Wilson, and Portis. A lot of people really really like the talent of Portis...but he's raw. I still think Wilson plays a few games this year and goes into next year as the starter. If Portis is ready they will drop Flynn and draft another QB.
A few weeks ago, you were calling Flynn a top 10 dynasty QB. Has drafting Wilson really changed things that much, or were you just overvaluing the home team guys?

Im guessing the dump Tjax and keep Flynn, Wilson, and Portis. A lot of people really really like the talent of Portis...but he's raw. I still think Wilson plays a few games this year and goes into next year as the starter. If Portis is ready they will drop Flynn and draft another QB.
A few weeks ago, you were calling Flynn a top 10 dynasty QB. Has drafting Wilson really changed things that much, or were you just overvaluing the home team guys?
They are both top ten guys. And Tarvaris is a top 20 guy. That's how amazing the Seahawks are!

They are both top ten guys. And Tarvaris is a top 20 guy. That's how amazing the Seahawks are!
Hawks r good but I think you are overreacting a bit

'Touchdown There said:
I have to say this is something that I like about the Seahawks under coach Carroll. He believes in competition across all positions on his team. He doesn't care so much about the size of a guys paycheck when determining who's going to play. I think the evidence clearly shows he plays the best players regardless of what perceptions might be.
Can you give some examples of highly paid guys that were benched in favor of upstarts for us not in the Pacific Northwest? I'm not doubting you but this seems like a discussion worthy topic to those of us looking for sleepers in 2qb leagues.

'Touchdown There said:
Can you give some examples of highly paid guys that were benched in favor of upstarts for us not in the Pacific Northwest? I'm not doubting you but this seems like a discussion worthy topic to those of us looking for sleepers in 2qb leagues.
I think your question has a flaw in it. Who's "highly paid"?Better question: Which QBs in the NFL are currently "highly paid"? After we have a list we can objectively find a number that counts as highly paid so we can compare Flynn's contract to those that you deem as worthy of being highly paid. I think if we do some analysis we'll come to the conclusion that Flynn isn't "highly paid". Seattle was patient in signing Flynn and didn't overpay IMO. I think if you look at the number that has the most meaning (guaranteed money - If I recall correctly its only $10 million) you'll find that Seattle can get out of the Flynn contract with minimal cap damage, just like I expect them to do this fall with Tavaris Jackson. As a Seattle fan, I'm hopeful that Flynn or Wilson will be a solid QB. I think Jackson has some great physical tools, but lacks the ability to anticipate throws. Jackson has to see the open man before he will let it fly. Can Flynn or Wilson make throws before a WR comes out of a break? We'll see...

'Sabertooth said:
I'm fishing actually. I'll stop.
Fishing? Not you.. I'd have never guessed
With you I generally just disagree.
tell me about it...
Its nothing personal. I just think there are several "sacred cows" that need to be challenged. Nothing is black and white in the NFL. It isn't like baseball at all. And people seem to react to that. Sometimes I get carried away but usually it starts with challenging accepted notions.

'Touchdown There said:
I think your question has a flaw in it. Who's "highly paid"?Better question: Which QBs in the NFL are currently "highly paid"? After we have a list we can objectively find a number that counts as highly paid so we can compare Flynn's contract to those that you deem as worthy of being highly paid. I think if we do some analysis we'll come to the conclusion that Flynn isn't "highly paid". Seattle was patient in signing Flynn and didn't overpay IMO. I think if you look at the number that has the most meaning (guaranteed money - If I recall correctly its only $10 million) you'll find that Seattle can get out of the Flynn contract with minimal cap damage, just like I expect them to do this fall with Tavaris Jackson. As a Seattle fan, I'm hopeful that Flynn or Wilson will be a solid QB. I think Jackson has some great physical tools, but lacks the ability to anticipate throws. Jackson has to see the open man before he will let it fly. Can Flynn or Wilson make throws before a WR comes out of a break? We'll see...
Good point on Flynn not being highly paid. But what makes you think Carroll is going to have an open competition. He may have paid lip service to that but we see coaches do that all the time. Has he actually done it at different positions?

Good point on Flynn not being highly paid. But what makes you think Carroll is going to have an open competition. He may have paid lip service to that but we see coaches do that all the time. Has he actually done it at different positions?
Done that specific thing before? How many times has this exact scenario presented itself? That said, yes, he has benched an assumed starter in favor of a rookie. Three years ago LB Aaron Curry was billed as the safest pick in the NFL draft. After an up and down rookie season Curry was to be a fixture in the Seattle defense. It was assumed that Curry would improve and be a star. That didn't stop Seattle from quickly yanking Curry and installing rookie third round pick LB KJ Wright into the starting lineup. Curry was soon after traded to the Raiders.Since Carroll has come to Seattle he has been very straight forward in letting his players know that the better player was going to start and play. To his credit he has kept his word. Players that produce play. Did anyone expect rookie free agent WR Doug Baldwin to lead the team in catches and yards last season? Carroll has shown more than once that he's good with starting rookies and I feel strongly that this is paying dividends. CB Richard Sherman? OG John Moffitt? RT James Carpenter? Yes, four of Seattle's first five picks in last years draft all started last year in addition to Baldwin. By the way, Sherman is the real deal at CB. I think he's going to be a star for years to come. As far as lip service goes, Carroll was very straight forward last year when QB Tavaris Jackson was signed in naming him the starter right away. There was no talk of competition between Jackson and Whitehurst. I think people assumed it would be an open competition, but Carroll never wavered in saying that Jackson was his starter.I understand that the QB position is different than others, but while in Seattle Carroll doesn't have a track record of saying one thing and doing another. To this point he has been true to his word when talking to the media. As a fan who follows the team closely its been a positive to know your coach doesn't deal in typical coach-speak. The players in Seattle hear it as well, and more importantly see it in his actions.

Done that specific thing before? How many times has this exact scenario presented itself? That said, yes, he has benched an assumed starter in favor of a rookie. Three years ago LB Aaron Curry was billed as the safest pick in the NFL draft. After an up and down rookie season Curry was to be a fixture in the Seattle defense. It was assumed that Curry would improve and be a star. That didn't stop Seattle from quickly yanking Curry and installing rookie third round pick LB KJ Wright into the starting lineup. Curry was soon after traded to the Raiders.Since Carroll has come to Seattle he has been very straight forward in letting his players know that the better player was going to start and play. To his credit he has kept his word. Players that produce play. Did anyone expect rookie free agent WR Doug Baldwin to lead the team in catches and yards last season? Carroll has shown more than once that he's good with starting rookies and I feel strongly that this is paying dividends. CB Richard Sherman? OG John Moffitt? RT James Carpenter? Yes, four of Seattle's first five picks in last years draft all started last year in addition to Baldwin. By the way, Sherman is the real deal at CB. I think he's going to be a star for years to come. As far as lip service goes, Carroll was very straight forward last year when QB Tavaris Jackson was signed in naming him the starter right away. There was no talk of competition between Jackson and Whitehurst. I think people assumed it would be an open competition, but Carroll never wavered in saying that Jackson was his starter.I understand that the QB position is different than others, but while in Seattle Carroll doesn't have a track record of saying one thing and doing another. To this point he has been true to his word when talking to the media. As a fan who follows the team closely its been a positive to know your coach doesn't deal in typical coach-speak. The players in Seattle hear it as well, and more importantly see it in his actions.
:goodposting:

Very good posting Hooper.

I think you can tell Carroll isn't just playing lipservice to competition but means it when he says stuff about how having a 3 man battle will be difficult for the team/coaches as well as the media... but that they just have to be patient and let everybody get some reps and analyze it from there. Seems like a great guy to play for.

Done that specific thing before? How many times has this exact scenario presented itself? That said, yes, he has benched an assumed starter in favor of a rookie. Three years ago LB Aaron Curry was billed as the safest pick in the NFL draft. After an up and down rookie season Curry was to be a fixture in the Seattle defense. It was assumed that Curry would improve and be a star. That didn't stop Seattle from quickly yanking Curry and installing rookie third round pick LB KJ Wright into the starting lineup. Curry was soon after traded to the Raiders.Since Carroll has come to Seattle he has been very straight forward in letting his players know that the better player was going to start and play. To his credit he has kept his word. Players that produce play. Did anyone expect rookie free agent WR Doug Baldwin to lead the team in catches and yards last season? Carroll has shown more than once that he's good with starting rookies and I feel strongly that this is paying dividends. CB Richard Sherman? OG John Moffitt? RT James Carpenter? Yes, four of Seattle's first five picks in last years draft all started last year in addition to Baldwin. By the way, Sherman is the real deal at CB. I think he's going to be a star for years to come.

As far as lip service goes, Carroll was very straight forward last year when QB Tavaris Jackson was signed in naming him the starter right away. There was no talk of competition between Jackson and Whitehurst. I think people assumed it would be an open competition, but Carroll never wavered in saying that Jackson was his starter.I understand that the QB position is different than others, but while in Seattle Carroll doesn't have a track record of saying one thing and doing another. To this point he has been true to his word when talking to the media. As a fan who follows the team closely its been a positive to know your coach doesn't deal in typical coach-speak. The players in Seattle hear it as well, and more importantly see it in his actions.
Good posting, that's what I was looking for. Most people don't know the backstory on stuff like that, just the high points.

So has Carroll come out and said that it is oen competition at QB this year? Including Wilson?
Yes. It was widely reported after the rookie mini camp this past weekend that Wilson will make it a three way competition. LINK to the Tacoma News Tribune - this one includes video.

LINK to NFC West blog at ESPN

LINK to FieldGulls on sb nation

Per Peter King's MMQB

Is it dumb? No, it's not dumb. As GM John Schneider told me after the draft, Wilson was the third-best player he studied in all of college football last year, and Schneider doesn't care what anybody on any other team or on TV thinks of his draft-weekend decisions. Against a big-time schedule with Wisconsin last year, Wilson put up some phenomenal numbers -- 73 percent passing, 10.3 yards per attempt, 33 touchdowns and four interceptions -- and his leadership is similar to Drew Brees'.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/14/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1uxy5qE6T

I really don't see much difference in a guy like Colt McCoy vs Russell Wilson. Smaller QB's with 4 good years of college ball that will go on and have good careers as back ups and spot starters when called upon.

I just don't get the hype Wilson is picking up. He may look good against rookies at rookie camp and looked good against college players, but wait for the big boys to arrive. Not a bad pick by Seattle, and if Wilson does end up being the anamoly of a smaller QB achieving franchise type qualities then good on them. Right now that seems like a long shot more than anything and Seattle fans are hoping more than anything.

I really don't see much difference in a guy like Colt McCoy vs Russell Wilson. Smaller QB's with 4 good years of college ball that will go on and have good careers as back ups and spot starters when called upon.

I just don't get the hype Wilson is picking up. He may look good against rookies at rookie camp and looked good against college players, but wait for the big boys to arrive. Not a bad pick by Seattle, and if Wilson does end up being the anamoly of a smaller QB achieving franchise type qualities then good on them. Right now that seems like a long shot more than anything and Seattle fans are hoping more than anything.
I get the comparison, stats wise, but watching them play there is a clear difference in arm strength, throwing accuracy, and (for what it's worth) straight-line speed.

More than anything, though, I'm excited by Wilson's prospects because of the enormous jump in productivity he had once he moved into a more pro-style system and had better surrounding talent. He essentially WAS the NC State offense when he was there, and his stats reflected the over dependency. I'd love to see what he can do with pro-caliber athletes all around him.

I really don't see much difference in a guy like Colt McCoy vs Russell Wilson. Smaller QB's with 4 good years of college ball that will go on and have good careers as back ups and spot starters when called upon.I just don't get the hype Wilson is picking up. He may look good against rookies at rookie camp and looked good against college players, but wait for the big boys to arrive. Not a bad pick by Seattle, and if Wilson does end up being the anamoly of a smaller QB achieving franchise type qualities then good on them. Right now that seems like a long shot more than anything and Seattle fans are hoping more than anything.
Many scouting reports and analysts have said that if Wilson was just a bit taller that he would have been a top 10 pick this year. Wilson is good or great at EVERYTHING, but just does not have the prototypical height. The skeptics point to the height as if that is what will hold him back in the NFL. The optimists point to the fact that although Wilson is short for a QB, that he has been sucessful at every level so why will that all of a sudden change? His height issue really seems to be overblown in my opinion and I think many people have the cause and effect backwards. People assume that since there are not any starting QBs over 6 feet that means that QBs under 6 feet just don't do well in the NFL. My opinion (and some others) is that the reason there are not starters over 6 feet is because there simply aren't many QBs under 6 feet who get drafted to the NFL. Is there a higher "bust" rate on QBs under 6 feet who get drafted versus other heights? I doubt it. Drew Brees and Mike Vick are both 6 feet tall. I don't quite understand why that one inch of height is turning out to be such a major concern. Wilson played with a very tall OL at Wisconsin (4th largest OL of college AND pros last year) so it isn't like he isn't used to playing with tall linemen. Wilson has a release on his throw which is the same height as RG3's (6 feet 2 inches) and also had less batted balls at the LOS than Andrew Luck did. If the Seahawks coaches design plays to roll out or sets up passing windows properly like they do with Brees then I don't see the big issue.

If you're right, we'll know early. Seahawks secondary looks like legit elite unit this year, front 7 shouldn't be too shabby either. If he's getting it done against them in OTAs and TC, I'm buying.

I get the comparison, stats wise, but watching them play there is a clear difference in arm strength, throwing accuracy, and (for what it's worth) straight-line speed.

More than anything, though, I'm excited by Wilson's prospects because of the enormous jump in productivity he had once he moved into a more pro-style system and had better surrounding talent. He essentially WAS the NC State offense when he was there, and his stats reflected the over dependency. I'd love to see what he can do with pro-caliber athletes all around him.
:goodposting: I am a big Wilson fan. I watched every game of his that was televised or available online while he was at State, and I watched several of his games at Wisconsin. He is not really comparable to McCoy at all in terms of style of play and physical talent.

The comparison I was making was more situation and history.

Both Colt McCoy and Russell Wilson are QB's who are smaller and were said to have been first rounders had they had the height. Both guys were drafted in the 3rd round. McCoy had a very good college career in fact as a freshman he was a heisman canditate. He was said by many had he been taller that he might be a top 10 pick. People are claiming here that Wilson was indeed a first round grade by Seattle and Wilson was also a heisman canditate.

Now by measureables Wilson seems to be more athletic than McCoy. I don't really know how much stronger Wilson's arm is than McCoys but I will take your guys word for it. Both are said to have small hands which for a QB is less than ideal.

Also some historic stuff working against Wilson.

Only 2 qb's since 1952 have had success at his height. That being Eddie LeBaron and Doug Flutie.

The shortest starting QB in the NFL now is Dree Brees at 6'0 and a quarter inch... Wilson is 5'10 and five eighths.

Once again I am not rooting against Wilson. It just seems at this time of year the love for players sometimes is off the charts. I am sure Wilson is a great leader and has talent, but he has a long way to go and will have to overcome many obstacles and history to be a quality player at his make up for an NFL qb.

Basically, what it comes down to with Wilson is that there is essentially no model for him.

Football Outsiders has come up with the Levin Career Forecast for college QBs, and it ranks Wilson higher than any college QB ever. It is clearly a questionable system, but that is still an interesting result. The article points out:

Quarterbacks who are Wilson's height simply don't get drafted in the first three rounds of the draft, period. The FO master database only includes three quarterbacks who are below six feet tall: Seneca Wallace, Joe Hamilton, and Flutie. That's a fourth-round pick, a seventh-round pick, and an 11th round pick from 25 years ago. Even if we go all the way back to 1991, the only quarterbacks taken in the first six rounds at 6-foot-0 or shorter were Vick, Brees, Wallace, Joe Germaine (fourth round, 1999), and Troy Smith (fifth round, 2007).
Among these players, only Vick, Brees, and Wilson were taken before the fourth round of the draft; the others were recognized to be deficient in areas other than just height. Wilson was a better college passer than any of those players, including Vick, Brees, and Flutie (Heisman does not equate to being a better passer).Furthermore, some of these players did not play in a pro set and/or played in a run heavy offense. Not true for Wilson. And the shorter players among this group likely had lower release points than Wilson does.

On top of that, all of his intangibles are off the chart: leadership, work ethic, character, intelligence, etc. Not that these other players were necessarily bad guys or whatever, but Wilson would score 100 out of 100 on an intangibles assessment, as good as it can possibly get.

I'm not saying Wilson will be a star in the NFL. But I think the problem is that in trying to categorize him, many are failing to recognize that he is nearly unique. I think he is an intriguing dynasty player, and I'm hoping to draft him and stash him for a while.

Once again I am not rooting against Wilson.
Sure you are, but that's not a problem. I'm rooting for him. I hope he does well and my home team wins some games. That said, I'm not going to make up false statements about him while hunting for a talking point.

Both are said to have small hands which for a QB is less than ideal.
Source for this piece of information? I'm going to guess you just made up a complete fabrication there.
hooper is correct...colt mccoy combine hand size: 9 3/8"

russell wilson combine hand size: 10 1/4"

cam newton combine hand size: 9 7/8" (considered a physical freak...)

:lmao: russell wilson can do everything colt mccoy can do better and more. just watch them play instead of looking at their college stats and situation. wilson can move - he ran a 4.55 forty, newton ran a 4.59, and mccoy ran a 4.79(???). wilson is also elusive in the pocket and can buy time or space, which is important for his size... mccoy cannot. i honestly think the only thing that wilson and mccoy have in common is their size.

ETA: more details.

Source for this piece of information? I'm going to guess you just made up a complete fabrication there.

:lmao: russell wilson can do everything colt mccoy can do better and more. just watch them play instead of looking at their college stats and situation. wilson can move - he ran a 4.55 forty, newton ran a 4.59, and mccoy ran a 4.79(???). wilson is also elusive in the pocket and can buy time or space, which is important for his size... mccoy cannot. i honestly think the only thing that wilson and mccoy have in common is their size.

:lmao: I watched the Gruden QB school show with Wilson, and Gruden made a point of commenting on how huge his hands are.

:lmao: I watched the Gruden QB school show with Wilson, and Gruden made a point of commenting on how huge his hands are.
:thumbup: for those who missed it.

My bad. I was totally wrong about the hand size thing. It was opposite of small hands. It was actually one of the arguments from the pro Wilson camp was how big his hands were for his size.Once again I am not rooting against Wilson. I really am not. Just a Seattle homer drafted him in our draft and can't stop raving about him. I then stumbled into this thread to see he is not alone and thought about how there were some similarites to Mccoy. Not comparing them as athletes but their situations.

My bad. I was totally wrong about the hand size thing. It was opposite of small hands. It was actually one of the arguments from the pro Wilson camp was how big his hands were for his size.Once again I am not rooting against Wilson. I really am not. Just a Seattle homer drafted him in our draft and can't stop raving about him. I then stumbled into this thread to see he is not alone and thought about how there were some similarites to Mccoy. Not comparing them as athletes but their situations.
situation, as in not much in the way of starting, sure... but i'd like to think talent and ability relate to situation when it comes to fantasy football. in fantasy, a backup QB going to a great situation is still a backup QB (situation not great). a talented QB going to a great situation can be great. wilson's got a gun of an arm, great mobility, brains, and leadership qualities that rival tebow - wilson was wisco's captain and starting qb after transferring in july before season started. he learned the offense in about 2 months and came out blazing september 1st against unlv. i think he has a MUCH, MUCH better chance at succeeding that colt mccoy ever did or will.props to mccoy for being a great college qb... but he just looks lost in the NFL. mccoy is small and slow, and ever since getting knocked out of the bcs national championship game in 2010, he's looked lackluster and backup destined imo. i think mccoys situation in cleveland was a temporary fix... wilson's could end up being the same, but i like his chances to succeed much more than i ever liked mccoy's. wilson has qualities to compensate for what he lacks. imo, the only think he lacks is size.

In my two qb league, I am thinking of grabbing him at 2.7. I think there are just enough "normal" prospect to get to about 15. I kind of rank them like this (only in a start 2qb format where QBs are absolute gold). In that format, I like him right around Hill.

Robert Griffin

Andrew Luck

Trent Richardson

Doug Martin

Ryan Tannehill

David Wilson

Michael Floyd

Justin Blackmon

Brandon Weeden

Ronnie Hillman

Alshon Jeffrey

Isiah Pead

Reuben Randle

Kendall Wright

Stephen Hill

I took him at 2.16 in my 16 teamer (increases QB value).

I already had Rodgers and had drafted Griffin earlier so it was a bit of a luxury pick. FWIW I took him ahead of Weeden who didn't go until 3.03

My bad. I was totally wrong about the hand size thing. It was opposite of small hands. It was actually one of the arguments from the pro Wilson camp was how big his hands were for his size.

Once again I am not rooting against Wilson. I really am not. Just a Seattle homer drafted him in our draft and can't stop raving about him. I then stumbled into this thread to see he is not alone and thought about how there were some similarites to Mccoy. Not comparing them as athletes but their situations.
situation, as in not much in the way of starting, sure... but i'd like to think talent and ability relate to situation when it comes to fantasy football. in fantasy, a backup QB going to a great situation is still a backup QB (situation not great). a talented QB going to a great situation can be great. wilson's got a gun of an arm, great mobility, brains, and leadership qualities that rival tebow - wilson was wisco's captain and starting qb after transferring in july before season started. he learned the offense in about 2 months and came out blazing september 1st against unlv. i think he has a MUCH, MUCH better chance at succeeding that colt mccoy ever did or will.

props to mccoy for being a great college qb... but he just looks lost in the NFL. mccoy is small and slow, and ever since getting knocked out of the bcs national championship game in 2010, he's looked lackluster and backup destined imo.

i think mccoys situation in cleveland was a temporary fix... wilson's could end up being the same, but i like his chances to succeed much more than i ever liked mccoy's. wilson has qualities to compensate for what he lacks. imo, the only think he lacks is size.
And man does he. I met him on Friday and he was very short. I thought he was going to be a bit taller since he's listed at 5-11, but his actual height at the combine was 5-10 5/8. Perhaps he can pull a Doug Flutie but I'm not holding my breath.

Seahawks' Russell Wilson Wasn't Even On Some Teams' Draft Boards, Per Report

May 18 4:42p by Danny Kelly

Read More: Russell Wilson (QB - SEA)

Yahoo! Sports and the SportsXchange's Len Pasquarelli included one interesting tidbit about Seahawks' new draft pick Russell Wilson in a recent column, revealing that some NFL teams didn't even have the 5'10 3/8" quarterback on their boards.

Wilson overcame a lot of odds in his college career, but his height had him off the draft boards of a few teams last month, and some of Carroll's colleagues in the NFL privately question using a third-round pick on a prospect who, competitiveness aside, was graded by some as just a career No. 3 guy.

This isn't super surprising, considering there aren't any sub-6'0 quarterbacks starting in the league, but obviously Seattle thinks Wilson can buck that trend. Some teams likely decided that, despite his obvious talents, the odds were just too stacked against Wilson for them to invest a valuable draft pick in that particular player.

In their defense of the pick, the Hawks have consistently noted Wilson's high release of the football ("that of a 6'2 QB"), long arms for his height, and very big hands. As Pasuarelli points out, "while Wilson was the shortest of the 19 quarterbacks at the combine (by nearly 1 1/2 inches), he had a hand measurement of 10 1/4 inches. That was a bigger hand than 14 of the combine quarterbacks. The ability to wrap his fingers around the ball, however, might not compensate for the height deficiency."

Certainly not, but it can't hurt - it does tend to help in the rain and wind though, and playing in Seattle he's liable to come across conditions like that. Short or not, there's buzz growing about Wilson in Seattle and it will be fun to see how he performs in the upcoming OTAs and Training Camp.

I'll let this bandwagon pass me by. Wilson never looked special to me. I think he could be a good starter or above average backup in the league. Kind of a Kyle Orton career path. Wilson had a great year at Wisconsin, but lets not pretend like the Big Ten was very good last year.

It's easier to make "all the right reads" when your entire OL are legit NFL prospects.

Users who are viewing this thread