What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

I'll let this bandwagon pass me by. Wilson never looked special to me. I think he could be a good starter or above average backup in the league. Kind of a Kyle Orton career path. Wilson had a great year at Wisconsin, but lets not pretend like the Big Ten was very good last year. It's easier to make "all the right reads" when your entire OL are legit NFL prospects.
So you never watched him play at N.C. State then? Because there he didn't have an OL full of legit NFL prospects. And he looked very special there.

I'll let this bandwagon pass me by. Wilson never looked special to me. I think he could be a good starter or above average backup in the league. Kind of a Kyle Orton career path. Wilson had a great year at Wisconsin, but lets not pretend like the Big Ten was very good last year. It's easier to make "all the right reads" when your entire OL are legit NFL prospects.
So you never watched him play at N.C. State then? Because there he didn't have an OL full of legit NFL prospects. And he looked very special there.
No I didn't, I caught several Wisconsin games though and never thought to myself that he'd be a star at the next level.

Seahawks' Russell Wilson Wasn't Even On Some Teams' Draft Boards, Per Report

May 18 4:42p by Danny Kelly

Read More: Russell Wilson (QB - SEA)

Yahoo! Sports and the SportsXchange's Len Pasquarelli included one interesting tidbit about Seahawks' new draft pick Russell Wilson in a recent column, revealing that some NFL teams didn't even have the 5'10 3/8" quarterback on their boards.

Wilson overcame a lot of odds in his college career, but his height had him off the draft boards of a few teams last month, and some of Carroll's colleagues in the NFL privately question using a third-round pick on a prospect who, competitiveness aside, was graded by some as just a career No. 3 guy.

This isn't super surprising, considering there aren't any sub-6'0 quarterbacks starting in the league, but obviously Seattle thinks Wilson can buck that trend. Some teams likely decided that, despite his obvious talents, the odds were just too stacked against Wilson for them to invest a valuable draft pick in that particular player.

In their defense of the pick, the Hawks have consistently noted Wilson's high release of the football ("that of a 6'2 QB"), long arms for his height, and very big hands. As Pasuarelli points out, "while Wilson was the shortest of the 19 quarterbacks at the combine (by nearly 1 1/2 inches), he had a hand measurement of 10 1/4 inches. That was a bigger hand than 14 of the combine quarterbacks. The ability to wrap his fingers around the ball, however, might not compensate for the height deficiency."

Certainly not, but it can't hurt - it does tend to help in the rain and wind though, and playing in Seattle he's liable to come across conditions like that. Short or not, there's buzz growing about Wilson in Seattle and it will be fun to see how he performs in the upcoming OTAs and Training Camp.
It would be very interesting to see where he was on everyone's boards, or at least say those recognized as great talent evaluators.

Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 pm Seahawks GM John Schneider compares third-round rookie Russell Wilson to Drew Brees for his accuracy and anticipation.

Fantasy Source Spin: "He is the closest player I've (scouted) to Drew Brees and Jeff Garcia in terms of sliding, finding lanes and creating for himself," said Schneider. "He can slide and he has quick eyes. From an accuracy, anticipation standpoint, he is the closest to Drew Brees." Though Wilson's height has been criticized, just two of his 2011 incompletions were deflected at the line of scrimmage. Andrew Luck had also two batted down, and RG3 had nine. Ryan Tannehill had 19.

Source: National Football Post

This doesn't include the patron saint of the elite quarterback who was just too short, Doug Flutie, drafted in the 11th round in 1985.
They're the same height.
Exactly the same? Or perhaps one 7/8 of an inch taller than the other?
I had to look up Flutie's exact height, which is 5-9 5/8 - a full inch shorter than Wilson. I still feel he too short to be a top QB in the league though.

of him interviewing Graham and Toon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy was taken in the 1st round by a pretty potent Offense so even if he is starting because of a Bradshaw injury, that still means a pretty good opp. I think Wilson can be a serviceable RB3 in larger leagues with a chance to surprise a lot of people. Giants like a 2 back approach it would seem. If he has some talent, it's gonna come out in the wash.

I still feel he too short to be a top QB in the league though.
Fair enough. I think its a valid opinion and can be backed up with rational argument. That said, I think it would be hard to root against him. I'm glad we have him in Seattle.

Guy was taken in the 1st round by a pretty potent Offense so even if he is starting because of a Bradshaw injury, that still means a pretty good opp. I think Wilson can be a serviceable RB3 in larger leagues with a chance to surprise a lot of people. Giants like a 2 back approach it would seem. If he has some talent, it's gonna come out in the wash.
Russell WilsonDavid WilsonWilson PhillipsMr. WilsonGuess which one this thread is about...

I still feel he too short to be a top QB in the league though.
Fair enough. I think its a valid opinion and can be backed up with rational argument. That said, I think it would be hard to root against him. I'm glad we have him in Seattle.
I'll be rooting for him to succeed. Met him at the rookie premiere and he seemed like a good guy.

Russell WilsonDavid WilsonWilson PhillipsMr. WilsonGuess which one this thread is about...
I'm gonna have to check my birth certificate, I had to be born much earlier than '74. :lol:

Date: Wed May 9, 2012Show: Brock and SalkSeahawks coach Pete Carroll talks about Russell Wilson's skills, getting the team's 10 draft picks on the practice field, how the NFL's emphasis on player safety affects the future of the game, and more.http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9941444&p=3&n=pretty good interview... I liked the part where they talked about giving the rooks iPads with a playbook app to save paper.
We are green out here.
Just forget about the toxic by-products of manufacturing iPods and also the toxic components :popcorn:

just wanted to add these thoughts about "why sign Flynn if he isn't planned to be the day one starter"...

Seattle signed Flynn before the draft and you can't make FA decisions hoping that you will find a player in the draft to meet a need.

It would be irresponsible to assume any QB outside of Luck and RG3 would be day one starters, so any team with a need at QB and not the 1st two picks in the draft had to make plans prior to the draft.

Flynn is FA plan A

Jackson is rostered incumbent plan B (who actually had nice days last year)

Wilson is draft pick A competition (long term, but appears to be forcing himself into the short term)

just wanted to add these thoughts about "why sign Flynn if he isn't planned to be the day one starter"...Seattle signed Flynn before the draft and you can't make FA decisions hoping that you will find a player in the draft to meet a need.It would be irresponsible to assume any QB outside of Luck and RG3 would be day one starters, so any team with a need at QB and not the 1st two picks in the draft had to make plans prior to the draft. Flynn is FA plan AJackson is rostered incumbent plan B (who actually had nice days last year)Wilson is draft pick A competition (long term, but appears to be forcing himself into the short term)
They also gave Whitehurst a lot of money a few years ago and that failed but was that before the current regime?Flynn looked good last night but played conservatively, I'd like to see Wilson with the #1's next.

just wanted to add these thoughts about "why sign Flynn if he isn't planned to be the day one starter"...Seattle signed Flynn before the draft and you can't make FA decisions hoping that you will find a player in the draft to meet a need.It would be irresponsible to assume any QB outside of Luck and RG3 would be day one starters, so any team with a need at QB and not the 1st two picks in the draft had to make plans prior to the draft. Flynn is FA plan AJackson is rostered incumbent plan B (who actually had nice days last year)Wilson is draft pick A competition (long term, but appears to be forcing himself into the short term)
:goodposting: I have several early second round picks in an upcoming 2qb dynasty league. Wilson isn't getting past me.

Take a look at this link: Russell Wilson an instant hit in Seattle.

This quote jumped out at me:

But by the end of Seattle’s 27-17 victory over Tennessee on Saturday, Seahawks fans were in a dither. So was head coach Pete Carroll, who is now trying to decide whether to start Wilson or veteran Matt Flynn this Saturday in an exhibition at Denver.
So looking at a couple of news articles, it seems like the chronology is:- Carroll says it's clearly Flynn-1, Jackson-2, Wilson-3.

- All of the sudden, Wilson is "in the hunt" for the starting quarterback job.

- Carroll says Flynn will start both preseason games.

- Wilson moves to #2 on the depth chart.

- Now, it appears there is a possibility Wilson might start the next preseason game.

I'll be really interested to see who starts this preseason game. I actually think it likely will be Flynn. Regardless, I think the trend here suggests that Wilson has a legit chance at the job.

He looked pretty good in his first NFL action.

He seems to have some potential and plays with great intensity.

Carrol is annoying.

This has the makings of a Denver type of situation last year where they willed Tebow into the starting position.

I am avoiding this situation in redraft.

But by the end of Seattle’s 27-17 victory over Tennessee on Saturday, Seahawks fans were in a dither. So was head coach Pete Carroll, who is now trying to decide whether to start Wilson or veteran Matt Flynn this Saturday in an exhibition at Denver.
So looking at a couple of news articles, it seems like the chronology is:- Carroll says it's clearly Flynn-1, Jackson-2, Wilson-3.

- Now, it appears there is a possibility Wilson might start the next preseason game.

I'll be really interested to see who starts this preseason game. I actually think it likely will be Flynn. Regardless, I think the trend here suggests that Wilson has a legit chance at the job.
I don't read too much into the idea that Wilson may start. I think that it is just in Seattle's best interest to see how Wilson fares against defensive players that you know, may actually play on Sundays. I thought he looked good as well, and think it makes sense to paly him with the starters.I'd really like to read some practice reports. Preseason performances are nice, but the jobs are really won in camp.

This is video from yesterday, of Carroll saying Flynn will start.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2018917031_video_pete_carr_24.html

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Looked damn good last night. A ton better than Flynn. Its obvious who the better QB is. If I had to guess they will let Tjax go or trade him, have Flynn start through week 3, then let Wilson take over.

Flynn is nothing more than a backup QB. Wilson is a star in the making. As I said before...he will end up being one of the Top 2 QBs in this years class when its all said and done.

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLooked damn good last night. A ton better than Flynn. Its obvious who the better QB is. If I had to guess they will let Tjax go or trade him, have Flynn start through week 3, then let Wilson take over.Flynn is nothing more than a backup QB. Wilson is a star in the making. As I said before...he will end up being one of the Top 2 QBs in this years class when its all said and done.
I disagree with pretty much your whole post.

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLooked damn good last night. A ton better than Flynn. Its obvious who the better QB is. If I had to guess they will let Tjax go or trade him, have Flynn start through week 3, then let Wilson take over.Flynn is nothing more than a backup QB. Wilson is a star in the making. As I said before...he will end up being one of the Top 2 QBs in this years class when its all said and done.
I disagree with pretty much your whole post.
You can probably just cut and paste that to all of his posts.

he will end up being one of the Top 2 QBs in this years class when its all said and done.
Just was thinking this last night as I prep for my dynasty draft. I have the first pick and some others early. Strongly leaning Richardson now and grabbing Wilson a few picks later. I've been a big fan since the draft and wished the Eagles' had drafted him. A strong preseason has done nothing to lessen my hype.

Part of me thinks Carrol and the GM are playing a charade by sticking with Flynn as the " guy whose job it is to lose". If they didn't dump a huge contract on him Russell would be starting preseason game 3. Although he played against 2nd team D, Russell made great decision after great decision while engineering 3 td drives. Don't be surprised if Russell finishes top 15 qb this year.. Not even joking.

People don't realize Russell finished with the highest single season qb rating in college football HISTORY.

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/badgers_russell_wilson_breaks_passer_rating_record/9091645

Russell is too good to not win the starting job sooner than later.
Even if he is the future, why are people so certain that the Seahawks won't follow the path of teams like tennessee and let the young guy sit a year while he learns the 7-day-a-week pace of the nfl? He certainly has physical talent, but we have yet to see against a strong defense. Furthermore, they gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed. That's a lot of jack to have sitting on the bench.

Part of me thinks Carrol and the GM are playing a charade by sticking with Flynn as the " guy whose job it is to lose". If they didn't dump a huge contract on him Russell would be starting preseason game 3. Although he played against 2nd team D, Russell made great decision after great decision while engineering 3 td drives. Don't be surprised if Russell finishes top 15 qb this year.. Not even joking. People don't realize Russell finished with the highest single season qb rating in college football HISTORY.http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/badgers_russell_wilson_breaks_passer_rating_record/9091645
They actually didn't dump a huge contract on Flynn. The GM has been following Wilson for over a year now and very much on board with him. It should be interesting to see what Carrol does next week. I anticipate him sticking with the same formula.... Flynn for the first two quarters and Wilson for the last two. This would give Wilson a run with the ones in the 3rd Q.

Even if he is the future, why are people so certain that the Seahawks won't follow the path of teams like tennessee and let the young guy sit a year while he learns the 7-day-a-week pace of the nfl? He certainly has physical talent, but we have yet to see against a strong defense. Furthermore, they gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed. That's a lot of jack to have sitting on the bench.
He wouldn't be in the QB competition if that was the case. His performance this offseason impressed them enough to make it a 3 way competition and now send Tjax to the trading block. All signs point to yes.

Seriously, everyone is going gaga over a guy who orchestrated two TDs against 2nd Stringers?

The guy above him in the depth chart once threw for:

6 Touchdowns / 518 Yards / 31 Completions

In ONE regular season game.

He wouldn't be in the QB competition if that was the case. His performance this offseason impressed them enough to make it a 3 way competition and now send Tjax to the trading block. All signs point to yes.
We don't even know if there is a competition. It's just as likely that the Seahawks came to the same conclusion everyone else did: Jackson is not good. So they brought in two new guys, including a player from a stellar system who has had success in nfl games, and tried to say the right things to ship Jackson out of town for something in return. Every team in the league has a second d string qb.

Seriously, everyone is going gaga over a guy who orchestrated two TDs against 2nd Stringers?

Have you watched the first two Seahawks preseason games? The eyes don't lie....Wilson is by far the more talented QB. The NFL is about winning championships....not One regular season game...to win you need an elite QB. Wilson can be that guy, Flynn is serviceable....but will never be elite.

We don't even know if there is a competition. It's just as likely that the Seahawks came to the same conclusion everyone else did: Jackson is not good. So they brought in two new guys, including a player from a stellar system who has had success in nfl games, and tried to say the right things to ship Jackson out of town for something in return. Every team in the league has a second d string qb.
We also don't know for sure if we landed on the moon but at some point you have to take people for their word. Had Flynn and Wilson not done well in the early portions of the "3 way" competition you can bet they would have Tjax playing with the 2's and not Wilson.

Would you rate him higher than a Josh Freeman or Jay Cutler in dynasty?
I don't play Dynasty but I would rank them as follows if you are deep at QB. Next year Wilson could easily be 1A and 1B with Cutler on that list. The Hawks just need a little more talent at WR.CutlerWilsonFreeman

Have you watched the first two Seahawks preseason games? The eyes don't lie....Wilson is by far the more talented QB. The NFL is about winning championships....not One regular season game...to win you need an elite QB. Wilson can be that guy, Flynn is serviceable....but will never be elite.
Its also not about part of 2 preseason games either.You have already put Wilson in the possibly elite based on 2 preseason games, while discounting that Flynn played well in the first and has played well in 2 regular season games against playoff caliber teams and starting defenses.

Does he have a real chance at being the starting QB week 1, or is this "competition" a big charade?
It's a big charade - which is too bad, because Wilson might be the better QB already, and he clearly has higher upside. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Flynn. But as a Packer and Badger fan, I've watched these two guys a fair amount....and to me, there is little doubt that at some point fairly soon Wilson will be a starting QB and will outperform Flynn.

Its also not about part of 2 preseason games either.You have already put Wilson in the possibly elite based on 2 preseason games, while discounting that Flynn played well in the first and has played well in 2 regular season games against playoff caliber teams and starting defenses.
I have put him in the "possibly elite" based on talent. Talent he has shown at all levels.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of pre-season football so far this year. The two best performances I've seen by any QB thus far were Andrew Luck vs. the Rams and Wilson last night vs. the Broncos. Not sure how to define 'it', but Wilson has it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him win this job and have the organization go with their future now. Pete needs to make a bold move or he won't have a job for much longer. IMO.

He made a pass to a rookie WR from Oregon last night (Lavassai Tuanei and no I'm not sure how that's spelled, even though I have Duck season tickets) that was simply unbelievable. Chased out of the pocket, on the run, play looks over and at the very last minute he slings a pass 18 yards downfield for a first down. Unreal. Cameras were completely faked out. I don't know how the hell he spotted the receiver let alone finding the arm strength and accuracy to drill it in there. There's keeping the play alive and then there is a magic act. This was the latter. Find that play if you can. He's unreal.

I hate this argument. The Seahawks RB, Receivers and Oline where second stringers as well. It's not like Wilson took the 1st string unit and marched up and down the field against the Broncos backups.I'm not as excited as the Scientist but I do think Wilson is more talented than Flynn and will at some point in the 2012 rip the starting job from him.

Have you watched the first two [insert team here] preseason games? The eyes don't lie....[insert message board darling here] is by far the more talented QB. The NFL is about winning championships....not One regular season game...to win you need an elite QB. [random scrub] can be that guy, [random veteran] is serviceable....but will never be elite.

I continue to be amazed at how quickly flynn's actual nfl performances are forgotten in favor of the shiney new thing. Wilson may one day be a superstar, but he's not exactly trying to take the job from Kevin kolb or Joe Webb here...

I hate this argument. The Seahawks RB, Receivers and Oline where second stringers as well. It's not like Wilson took the 1st string unit and marched up and down the field against the Broncos backups.I'm not as excited as the Scientist but I do think Wilson is more talented than Flynn and will at some point in the 2012 rip the starting job from him.
Hey tough guy, I wasn't discounting it. I was saying it pales in comparison to what Matt Flynn has done at the actual NFL level. If you are impressed by pre-season against scrubs then you should be BLOWN away by what Matt Flynn did.If you still like Wilson more, fine but don't pick and choose when you want to use your logic. Because at that point you are not using logic.

Hey tough guy, I wasn't discounting it. I was saying it pales in comparison to what Matt Flynn has done at the actual NFL level. If you are impressed by pre-season against scrubs then you should be BLOWN away by what Matt Flynn did.If you still like Wilson more, fine but don't pick and choose when you want to use your logic. Because at that point you are not using logic.
Why are you calling him a "tough guy"? I think he made a valid point. I'm not sold on Wilson quite yet but you have to be impressed with what he has shown so far.

Users who are viewing this thread