What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (9 Viewers)

In no universe, taller or otherwise, would he have gone ahead of luck.
I'm not trying to pile on here, but why wouldn't a QB who had a better passer rating than Luck did last season, who also happens to be faster, possibly go ahead of him in a draft if they were the same height? In almost everything I've read on Wilson, his height (or lack thereof) was his only knock. He's fast, elusive, can make all the throws, doesn't turn the ball over, is durable (hasn't missed a game since 2008 if I am not mistaken). Sorry, but I don't see how it's not even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion. Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.

Also this remains a run first offense with little to no outside playmakers . And on top of this russel is small and has to be more susceptible to injury than a larger qb .

And since the public is onto this guy now I just think you move him for nice assets. . I think the guy who wants Ryan Williams can get more but I can't speculate on what. I just feel like selling guys at hype points like this is how to win championships .
I really like Wilson and was excited to grab him, but I'm not real sure about that. Ryan Williams is right at the border of the type of value I'd unload him for right now, but I really can't imagine even getting that type of return yet.

Like a lot of Wilson owners, I'd just prefer to take the chance that he lights it up in AZ.

Of "Lower Tier" QB's where would some of you rank him to say a Carson Palmer for production this year?

Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
He missed some games at NC State due to injury. He missed a couple games with a concussion, and missed another game due to an injury O'Brien wouldn't disclose, but it was rumored at the time to be a shoulder injury. Both of these injuries were in 2008, and I don't recall him ever missing time in 2009 and 2010.
Also in 2008, Wilson got knocked out of State's bowl game just before halftime with a sprained knee. Tellingly, State was up 17-6 at halftime, Wilson did not play in the second half, State's other QBs combined for 3 interceptions, and State lost 29-23.

Also in 2008, Wilson got knocked out of State's bowl game just before halftime with a sprained knee. Tellingly, State was up 17-6 at halftime, Wilson did not play in the second half, State's other QBs combined for 3 interceptions, and State lost 29-23.
I forgot about that bowl game against Rutgers. Wasn't it Evans and Beck that played QB in the second half? That half was painful to watch for State fans.

Of "Lower Tier" QB's where would some of you rank him to say a Carson Palmer for production this year?
I'd rank him above Palmer with his rushing abilityPalmer looked solid physically last year. He just looked out of sync with receivers a lot (due to lack of time together) and making some real bad decisions in process.And guess what, 6+ months later, he still lacks the on field time together (with Moore/Ford being out). I thought Palmer had the upside this year to be a borderline QB1 if all weapons healthy. I've lowered my expectation to a lower half QB2 due to lack of time with WR's (still) and overall making some real bonehead decisions so far.

I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion.Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.
Carroll and JS have both thought Wilson is the future of this team. I can't see them switching on one bad game. Sorry, NGTH.
russel is small and has to be more susceptible to injury than a larger qb .
How is a short QB more susceptible to injury than a large QB? Are short RB's more susceptible to injury than tall RB's? That is a silly comment. Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
And since the public is onto this guy now I just think you move him for nice assets. . I think the guy who wants Ryan Williams can get more but I can't speculate on what. I just feel like selling guys at hype points like this is how to win championships .
So you sold Cam Newton last year early? Ryan Williams on a horrible Cardinals team is going to win you a championship? LOL.
I am going to go ahead and say that in no way shape or form will Wilson have a year even remotely closs to Cam Newton's rookie year. I happen to think that Wilson can be serviceable as a qb 2 this year. His receiving core is actually undervalued. Rice and Edwards can actually be an above average combo. Miller is a pretty good pass catching TE. Wilson will obviously have some games where he puts up big numbers due to rushing, but he will be too inconsistent to end up being a QB 1 play by seasons end. Also, the thing that scares me is it is very possible he gets sat for a bad run of play. You have been preaching from day one that Carroll is all about competition and everyone has a chance to play a part of the team in the now and future, no matter draft spot, money being owed etc.Carrol has even allowed a 3rd round rookie qb to win the job, but he won't turn to Flynn if Wilson has a bad run of play and Seattle start losing? I mean it is this backwards level of thinking that is making many of your posts less relevant. You have to be more objective.
What would you consider to be a bad run? You can't tank anyone after one bad game and rookies ate going to go through growing pains. If there's a short leash for either of them it's to the detriment of the team. I think Wilson would have to have at least 3-4 horrific games with no sign if improvement before the leash gets tight. It's not like he's going out on a limb by starting Wilson, the decision seems to be unanimously echoed by fans, players, media etc... There's no face for Pete to save by yanking the kid after a rough start because the only bad move for him would have been to NOT start Russel Sprout.
I think if he plays poorly 2 games in a row early in the season and the team loses those games he might get yanked. No team wants a Kolb/Skelton situation for sure, but Seattle is a team that could/should make playoffs with good QB play. Therefore if they are losing and a big part of the problem is QB play he will probably be pulled.Guys like Luck and RGIII are the unquestioned future for their teams and will therefore have longer leashes. They will be granted bad stretches more so than Wilson. Flynn still has potential to be the future of the Seahawks. Both he and Wilson are unproven but it's not as if Flynn is a guy that has already had his chance to shine and is now entrenched as a career back up. Orton, Campbell, Grossman and company are done as NFL starters, Flynn we still don't know and neither do the Seahawks. This situation is far from finished.

I think if he plays poorly 2 games in a row early in the season and the team loses those games he might get yanked. No team wants a Kolb/Skelton situation for sure, but Seattle is a team that could/should make playoffs with good QB play. Therefore if they are losing and a big part of the problem is QB play he will probably be pulled.

Guys like Luck and RGIII are the unquestioned future for their teams and will therefore have longer leashes. They will be granted bad stretches more so than Wilson.

Flynn still has potential to be the future of the Seahawks. Both he and Wilson are unproven but it's not as if Flynn is a guy that has already had his chance to shine and is now entrenched as a career back up. Orton, Campbell, Grossman and company are done as NFL starters, Flynn we still don't know and neither do the Seahawks. This situation is far from finished.
:lmao: Have you seen him play? The future of the hawks began the day they drafted Wilson. If you are still too blind to see that then thats on you... Situation is done....finished.

I think if he plays poorly 2 games in a row early in the season and the team loses those games he might get yanked. No team wants a Kolb/Skelton situation for sure, but Seattle is a team that could/should make playoffs with good QB play. Therefore if they are losing and a big part of the problem is QB play he will probably be pulled.

Guys like Luck and RGIII are the unquestioned future for their teams and will therefore have longer leashes. They will be granted bad stretches more so than Wilson.

Flynn still has potential to be the future of the Seahawks. Both he and Wilson are unproven but it's not as if Flynn is a guy that has already had his chance to shine and is now entrenched as a career back up. Orton, Campbell, Grossman and company are done as NFL starters, Flynn we still don't know and neither do the Seahawks. This situation is far from finished.
:lmao: Have you seen him play? The future of the hawks began the day they drafted Wilson. If you are still too blind to see that then thats on you... Situation is done....finished.
I'm sorry man, your taking this way to far. I love Russell Wilson. I hope he becomes a HOFer and he changes the way that scouts judge QBs...but there is no way you can KNOW he is as good as your making him out to be because of a few preseason games.

I am a big Wisconsin fan and watched every game he played in last year, yes, he is a tremendous leader. Yes, hes has good accuracy and a great internal clock in the pocket. Yes, he can be a great pro in this league.

regardless of who I think he can be, right now he is a rookie for the Seattle Seahawks and has limited weapons.

Stop the madness... locks in the NFL are far and few between

I think you may need to realize this...Russell Wilson is essentially being proclaimed the QB of the future in Seattle with the same type of sensationalism that RGIII and Luck are getting in their respective towns. Seattle has been searching for a QB like this for a long long time, so to say the fans of the Seahawks are excited about RW is an understatement. RW will have to fall flat on his face before people are calling to yank him.

Sweet song - Everyday I'm Russell-ing!! haha

'proninja said:

I think you may need to realize this...Russell Wilson is essentially being proclaimed the QB of the future in Seattle with the same type of sensationalism that RGIII and Luck are getting in their respective towns. Seattle has been searching for a QB like this for a long long time, so to say the fans of the Seahawks are excited about RW is an understatement. RW will have to fall flat on his face before people are calling to yank him.
I wouldn't say he's been proclaimed the starter. He's gone out and played better football than any other QB on the team.
You may have misread. Read bold

I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion.Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.
Carroll and JS have both thought Wilson is the future of this team. I can't see them switching on one bad game. Sorry, NGTH.
How is a short QB more susceptible to injury than a large QB? Are short RB's more susceptible to injury than tall RB's? That is a silly comment. Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
So you sold Cam Newton last year early? Ryan Williams on a horrible Cardinals team is going to win you a championship? LOL.
I am going to go ahead and say that in no way shape or form will Wilson have a year even remotely closs to Cam Newton's rookie year. I happen to think that Wilson can be serviceable as a qb 2 this year. His receiving core is actually undervalued. Rice and Edwards can actually be an above average combo. Miller is a pretty good pass catching TE. Wilson will obviously have some games where he puts up big numbers due to rushing, but he will be too inconsistent to end up being a QB 1 play by seasons end. Also, the thing that scares me is it is very possible he gets sat for a bad run of play. You have been preaching from day one that Carroll is all about competition and everyone has a chance to play a part of the team in the now and future, no matter draft spot, money being owed etc.Carrol has even allowed a 3rd round rookie qb to win the job, but he won't turn to Flynn if Wilson has a bad run of play and Seattle start losing? I mean it is this backwards level of thinking that is making many of your posts less relevant. You have to be more objective.
What would you consider to be a bad run? You can't tank anyone after one bad game and rookies ate going to go through growing pains. If there's a short leash for either of them it's to the detriment of the team. I think Wilson would have to have at least 3-4 horrific games with no sign if improvement before the leash gets tight. It's not like he's going out on a limb by starting Wilson, the decision seems to be unanimously echoed by fans, players, media etc... There's no face for Pete to save by yanking the kid after a rough start because the only bad move for him would have been to NOT start Russel Sprout.
I think if he plays poorly 2 games in a row early in the season and the team loses those games he might get yanked. No team wants a Kolb/Skelton situation for sure, but Seattle is a team that could/should make playoffs with good QB play. Therefore if they are losing and a big part of the problem is QB play he will probably be pulled.Guys like Luck and RGIII are the unquestioned future for their teams and will therefore have longer leashes. They will be granted bad stretches more so than Wilson. Flynn still has potential to be the future of the Seahawks. Both he and Wilson are unproven but it's not as if Flynn is a guy that has already had his chance to shine and is now entrenched as a career back up. Orton, Campbell, Grossman and company are done as NFL starters, Flynn we still don't know and neither do the Seahawks. This situation is far from finished.
Two games is absurd. He's a rookie, there's going to be rookie mistakes. That's not nearly enough to yank him unless he's utterly disastrous and lays down on th field, takes of both shoes, one sock and starts crying. Four games minimum before its even considered.

Ok so this guys value has skyrocketed, but then I look at his WR crew and it looks like its in shambles. Who's gonna be the guy to own?

The one guy that has been underwhelming so far in his career is Golden Tate. He seems to be taking control of the SE spot though and is tops on the depth chart. Any homers have some input on him?

Ok so this guys value has skyrocketed, but then I look at his WR crew and it looks like its in shambles. Who's gonna be the guy to own? The one guy that has been underwhelming so far in his career is Golden Tate. He seems to be taking control of the SE spot though and is tops on the depth chart. Any homers have some input on him?
by no means am I endorsing this individual, but Braylon Edwards' name seems to be said alot. Sidney Rice being the number 1 and Edwards 2 with Doug Balwdin in the slot could mean a ton of completiones, not to mention Kellen Winslow (also a RW3 favorite thus far)

Was just offered Andrew Luck for the kid in a 12 team redraft league.

Ok so this guys value has skyrocketed, but then I look at his WR crew and it looks like its in shambles. Who's gonna be the guy to own?

The one guy that has been underwhelming so far in his career is Golden Tate. He seems to be taking control of the SE spot though and is tops on the depth chart. Any homers have some input on him?
by no means am I endorsing this individual, but Braylon Edwards' name seems to be said alot. Sidney Rice being the number 1 and Edwards 2 with Doug Balwdin in the slot could mean a ton of completiones, not to mention Kellen Winslow (also a RW3 favorite thus far)
As a Bears fan for years (nay, decades...) this is actually a decent WR group - presuming Rice stays healthy. If Winslow even has a little bit left in the tank, and Rice stays healthy this is, at the very least an average NFL receiving group. Sure, there are better ones out there - and there are worse (Cincy, Miami, the Jets, the Vikings, etc.).

As a Bears fan for years (nay, decades...) this is actually a decent WR group - presuming Rice stays healthy. If Winslow even has a little bit left in the tank, and Rice stays healthy this is, at the very least an average NFL receiving group. Sure, there are better ones out there - and there are worse (Cincy, Miami, the Jets, the Vikings, etc.).
Isn't Tate starting opposite Rice also?

Isn't Tate starting opposite Rice also?
I think it will be Edwards starting opposite of Rice with Tate moving around. Baldwin in the slot. Winslow and Miller at TE.

I remember that, I just wish people were held more accountable. Mel Kiper also thought Jimmy Clausen would be great. He knows nothing.Love Gruden.... "if you give him a chance to win the job he will win it"..... Gruden :hifive:
If people were held accountable then you wouldn't be praising Gruden in the face of the other 700 players that he said were going to be awesome and never amounted to anything.Every player he talks about is going to be a star in this league. If you get your wife to watch the 4th quarter of a Cleveland preseason game that he's calling she'll think that Colt McCoy is one of the league's best players.

I remember that, I just wish people were held more accountable. Mel Kiper also thought Jimmy Clausen would be great. He knows nothing.Love Gruden.... "if you give him a chance to win the job he will win it"..... Gruden :hifive:
If people were held accountable then you wouldn't be praising Gruden in the face of the other 700 players that he said were going to be awesome and never amounted to anything.

Every player he talks about is going to be a star in this league. If you get your wife to watch the 4th quarter of a Cleveland preseason game that he's calling she'll think that Colt McCoy is one of the league's best players.
Got a list, 700 is a bit over the top. I never watch ESPN coverage of the draft.

You are right on here...it is probably understood that if he bombs, he will be done. Will he bomb though? It hasn't happened yet....

FBG seems a little overly optimistic with the projections on this guy. QB15? I'd love to see it.
Where did you see him at 15th? The highest ranking I see on the site is 22 (although that may be a little outdated).Wilson has me in a tough spot. I already have Matt Ryan as my starting QB, along with Jake Locker at backup. I took a flier on Wilson just to see how things played out this week, so I now have three quarterbacks and I'm not willing to cut any of them...even though there are some guys on the waiver wire I'd really like to pick up.
Trade Locker now before his accuracy slips and starts to be seen as a liability. Ryan is legit but Russell gives you a viable BU with some upside. And his trade value would increase if he plays well the first month...everyone will remember Newton and think Wilson is the next.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
How long of a leash does Wilson have?
Long
I figured with Flynn behind him making what he makes it would be kind of short. They open with what looks to be an easy schedule but heading into the bye will really test him.
Who's getting paid what doesn't matter at all to Carroll. His leash will be long.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
Long
I figured with Flynn behind him making what he makes it would be kind of short. They open with what looks to be an easy schedule but heading into the bye will really test him.
It's worth mentioning this every time I read this on the boards:1. Matt Flynn doesn't make that much money.

2. The Seahawks do not base their starting lineup by who makes the most money

Based on all of the reading I've done I have to think that outside of injury I do not think Flynn is going to start this year. They'll take the growing pains in trade for the experience and future years. I think most people think Carroll is in a *must win* situation--this is simply not true.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
Long
It's worth mentioning this every time I read this on the boards:1. Matt Flynn doesn't make that much money.

2. The Seahawks do not base their starting lineup by who makes the most money

Based on all of the reading I've done I have to think that outside of injury I do not think Flynn is going to start this year. They'll take the growing pains in trade for the experience and future years. I think most people think Carroll is in a *must win* situation--this is simply not true.
:goodposting:

Caught an interview with him last night on NFL Network "All Access" ... seems to be a very grounded kid, who relishes this opportunity to once again silence his detractors (via his size).

Hammered home the fact that Carroll told him from Day 1 that he was in a legit QB competition, and that he would be rewarded if his play translated at the next level. Consider the job done. :thumbup:

I'm a believer, and am pulling for him. Added him to current squad, and will look to snag him in next draft.

I'm a big fan of the kid and his potential, but I'm starting to see him go as a QB1 now. There is a big difference between a solid QB2 with upside for more and actually relying on this kid as your FF starter. I can't go there yet. The hype has crushed his value for FF purposes at this point.

I'm a big fan of the kid and his potential, but I'm starting to see him go as a QB1 now. There is a big difference between a solid QB2 with upside for more and actually relying on this kid as your FF starter. I can't go there yet. The hype has crushed his value for FF purposes at this point.
People do ger overhyped, butFlutie finished 7th and 13th in his careerand I think Wilson culd be better. He is a rookie though and defenses will be targeting him if he succeeds. The good thing about him is he is totally committed to the NFL.

Caught an interview with him last night on NFL Network "All Access" ... seems to be a very grounded kid, who relishes this opportunity to once again silence his detractors (via his size).

Hammered home the fact that Carroll told him from Day 1 that he was in a legit QB competition, and that he would be rewarded if his play translated at the next level. Consider the job done. :thumbup:

I'm a believer, and am pulling for him. Added him to current squad, and will look to snag him in next draft.
Got him late before last weeks game but now he's going before the 11th round and maybe even earlier now.

Got him off the wire in a league on Saturday, but he cost me $10 in an auction last night. The same I spent on my "starter"(Roethlisberger).

Not sure how much it says about his value elsewhere though. I got bid up by a buddy that knew I was in love with him. From what I remember, a couple other teams were involved in the trip from $1 to $6, but stopped then.

Without my buddies help, I figure he would've gone for $5 or $6. Luck went for $5. Griffin went for $12.

Got him off the wire in a league on Saturday, but he cost me $10 in an auction last night. The same I spent on my "starter"(Roethlisberger).Not sure how much it says about his value elsewhere though. I got bid up by a buddy that knew I was in love with him. From what I remember, a couple other teams were involved in the trip from $1 to $6, but stopped then.Without my buddies help, I figure he would've gone for $5 or $6. Luck went for $5. Griffin went for $12.
If he can duplicate the level of his preseason play he will be worth at least $30. The key is his running. If he can rush for 50 a game, that will be a great boon.

I think he is going to be a qb 1. The key will be if he can hold up with all that running. I am expecting him to be better than most qbs this year.

Just picked up Madden 13 and was happy to see it update rosters when I loaded the game. Then Matt Flynn threw a pass to T.O.

*face palm*

Nice job EA.

I think he is going to be a qb 1. The key will be if he can hold up with all that running. I am expecting him to be better than most qbs this year.
I think I'm pretty well on board this bandwagon, but certainly, there's plenty of risk involved.I'd take him as a borderline QB1 with understanding that the whole thing could blow up in my face. I'd look for him right after my favorite yearly emergency QB1 (Roethlisberger) because it's at that point, imo, that Wilson's upside outweighs the rest, who are largely replaceable on the wire. All the QBs after Roethlisberger are all candidates to end up back on the wire anyway.So, I'd say about QB14 is a fine place to look for him.

I got Russell Wilson for $2 in my auction draft on Monday. I am hoping that he will have some really nice value to backup Matt Ryan or prove to be some nice trade bait as the season progresses.

Thought from yesterday's performance?
Tua dropped a TD pass from Wilson. Had he caught it, Wilson would have been 6/11 for 80 yards and 1 TD in 1 quarter of work. Solid.ETA: didn't see the game, have only recap and box score to go by.

Users who are viewing this thread