What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (7 Viewers)

Week 10 @ the Rams was Russ's worst game of the year, and week 14 vs. NYJ is his only good game since then. Now he plays the Rams again with serious division/playoff stakes involved.

I assume that if you are playing for a FF championship you have endured Wilson's slump while continuing to start him most/all weeks. Do you ride or die with him at this point?

I'm a bit spoiled in having Tannehill to turn to but where it gets really interesting is like... do you bench Russ for a Trubisky or a Jalen Hurts with your league title on the line?

The #LetRussCook movement has been dead for a few games now... was really good while it lasted. Owners really should try to look for better options if available.

Russell Wilson completed 11-of-27 passes for 174 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Seahawks' 30-20, Wild Card loss to the Rams, adding four carries for 50 additional yards. 

Russ did not cook as the Seahawks lost at home in the postseason for the first time since the 2004 Wild Card Round, snapping a 10-game winning streak. The stunningly dismal performance was a fitting capper to the Seahawks' second half of the season offensive collapse. Wilson entered the final five minutes with just eight completions. His first score, a 51-yard strike to DK Metcalf, came against a broken coverage. His second, to Metcalf in what was effectively garbage time. The beneficiary of good protection most of the season, Wilson was absolutely under siege, taking a whopping five sacks for 32 yards. Aaron Donald tormented the Hawks' line but missed most of the second half with a rib injury. On a no-doubt MVP pace the first month of the year, Wilson had a mid-season interception binge that seemed to shake his confidence, but more importantly, coach Pete Carroll's confidence. He was reverted to game manager status down the stretch and finished with only 12 scores over his final eight starts compared to 28 in the first eight. The Seahawks' offense appeared fundamentally broken, while Wilson finished with a career-worst 13 interceptions. Recently-extended head coach Pete Carroll needs to order the code red and fire OC Brian Schottenheimer. Whatever kind of offense the 'Hawks install in 2021, Wilson will remain a top-eight fantasy quarterback, and probably still top five. 

Jan 9, 2021, 8:11 PM ET

RUSSELL WILSON QB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Speaking Monday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said his goal for 2021 will be establishing the run. 

We wish we were kidding. In the paraphrased words of reporter Joe Fann, Carroll's "primary focus going into 2021 will be to run the football more often and more effectively." The Seahawks finally de-emphasized the run to begin 2020 and cleared 30 points in seven of their first eight games. An October/early November interceptions binge seemed to curb both Russell Wilson and Carroll's confidence, however, and the team spent the second of the year working through a major identity crisis. It was never resolved before Saturday's abysmal Wild Card loss to the Rams. The Seahawks cleared 30 points only one time in the second half of the season, their 40-3 victory over the Jets. If Carroll is actually serious about once again #EstablishingIt, it's unclear who will be the focal point. Both Chris Carson and Carlos Hyde are free agents. Time is a flat circle. 

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter 

Jan 11, 2021, 1:01 PM ET

Russell Wilson said he wants to play for the Seahawks "forever." 

A couple teams have reportedly inquired about Wilson's availability following the Seattle offense's late-season collapse. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said there is "no chance" the Seahawks would deal away their franchise player. "I'm not sure if I'm available or not," Wilson said Tuesday in response to a question about teams checking on his availability. "That's a Seahawks question." These sort of rumors will persist for as long as Pete Carroll insists on having a run-first offense -- a philosophy on which Carroll doubled down in that aftermath of the team's offensive slump that ended with a demoralizing playoff loss to the Rams. A team would likely have to offer a never-before-seen trove of draft picks to acquire the 32-year-old Wilson. 

SOURCE: Andrew Perloff on Twitter 

Feb 9, 2021, 11:54 AM ET

Speaking in a Tuesday video conference, Russell Wilson said "I'm frustrated with getting hit too much." 

"I've been sacked almost 400 times," Wilson said. "So we've got to get better. I've got to find ways to get better too." The "I'm frustrated with getting hit too much" response came when Wilson asked if he was "frustrated with the Seahawks." This isn't the first time Wilson has dabbled in public criticism of the franchise, but it is the most severe and direct. Wilson's words come the same day he told Dan Patrick "that's a Seahawks question" when asked if he was on the trade block. By every indication, teams have contacted the Seahawks about Wilson and they've said "no way." Wilson has not requested a trade. Wilson should be back with the only team he's ever known in 2021, but he is finally boiling over about the team's decade-long underinvestment in its offensive line. Naturally, the Seahawks lack a first-round pick following the acquisition of Jamal Adams last summer. 

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter 

Feb 9, 2021, 2:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said teams have continued to call the Seahakws about Russell Wilson's availability. 

Pelissero reiterated that teams calling about Wilson haven't received any indication that Seattle is "in any way inclined to trade their start quarterback." The calls about Wilson have persisted, Pelissero said, largely because his recent media tour in which he has expressed displeasure about taking too many hits and about the direction of the Seahawks offense. Wilson is under contract with the Seahawks for another three seasons and has a no-trade clause in his contract, meaning -- like Deshaun Watson -- Wilson could choose where he would be traded if the Seahawks are eventually willing to part ways. Barring a stunning about face by the Seahawks, Wilson, 32, will be the team's starter in 2021. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Feb 11, 2021, 3:13 PM ET

Michael Silver reports teams "believe" any deal for Russell Wilson would "start" with three first-round picks.

"What's a realistic price if the Seahawks were to trade Russell Wilson?," Silver said in a spot on NFL Network. "I think you start with something like three first-round draft picks. That's kind of the message that other teams believe would be conveyed." That last sentence makes his "report" sound a lot more like conjecture than anything, but the fact remains that teams would have to legitimately shock Seattle with an unreasonable offer to even begin trade negotiations. There's still more than enough time for the two sides to consider all matters water under the bridge.

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 3:45 PM ET

Oh God I can already hear Bill Belichek's theme music playing:

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar, Mike Sando and Jayson Jenks report Russell Wilson's camp has broached trade destinations with Seattle to the Dolphins, Jets, Saints and Raiders.

The report also notes that "some people around the league" believe a trade will happen, if not this offseason then sometime in the "near future," and that those close to Wilson feel as though the pillars upon which coach Pete Carroll built his program — namely competition and accountability — are applied selectively, especially as it pertains to himself and his sons. If that truly is the case, Wilson would knowingly waive his no-trade clause to join one of the four teams listed above if only to escape Carroll's reign, which runs through the 2025 season after the organization gifted the 69-year-old an extension late last year. It's still possible this relationship is repaired, but the two sides continue to grow farther apart with every passing day.

- Michael Dugar, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell Wilson's agent tells ESPN's Adam Schefter that he has not requested a trade, but that if he were dealt, he would waive his no-trade clause for the Cowboys, Saints, Raiders or Bears. 

It's a trade request by another name. Various national media sources have taken great pains to report Wilson's relationship with coach Pete Carroll could still be patched up, but neither side is working very hard to tamp down the flames. This situation appears further along than Deshaun Watson's with Houston. Wilson has expressed discontent only to make up with Seattle before, but the odds he is dealt are very real, if not inevitable. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, New Orleans Saints

, Las Vegas Raiders

, Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Feb 25, 2021, 1:52 PM ET

I blew this off earlier this morning, but I’m starting to really think there could be something here. Dynasty owners, where would you NOT want him landing? 

I blew this off earlier this morning, but I’m starting to really think there could be something here. Dynasty owners, where would you NOT want him landing? 
Russell Wilson's agent tells ESPN's Adam Schefter that he has not requested a trade, but that if he were dealt, he would waive his no-trade clause for the Cowboys, Saints, Raiders or Bears. 

The Bears stand out here as the least desirable landing spot from where Wilson’s agent has said that Wilson would waive his no-trade clause. The other three options are dome teams and have better offensive weapons for Russell Wilson to work with.

Russell Wilson going full tsundere is amazing.

"Baka, it's not like I want to get traded and waive my no-trade clause for the Cowboys, Saints, Raiders or Bears or anything..."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting ridiculous.  Of the teams on that list, only the Saints make any sense.  IF this is true, I bet his wife is affecting the possible landing spots.  😵

This is getting ridiculous.  Of the teams on that list, only the Saints make any sense.  IF this is true, I bet his wife is affecting the possible landing spots.  😵
Of course she is. Why is that ridiculous? I think most married couples make major life decisions together.

Also, not sure why only the Saints make sense. Miami just missed the playoffs and IMO would have easily made it with Wilson at QB, and appear to be a team on the rise. The Raiders would arguably be a playoff team with Wilson instead of Carr. The Jets would admittedly be a bit of a stretch from a competitive standpoint, though they do have a new coaching staff.

Of course she is. Why is that ridiculous? I think most married couples make major life decisions together.

Also, not sure why only the Saints make sense. Miami just missed the playoffs and IMO would have easily made it with Wilson at QB, and appear to be a team on the rise. The Raiders would arguably be a playoff team with Wilson instead of Carr. The Jets would admittedly be a bit of a stretch from a competitive standpoint, though they do have a new coaching staff.
Where are you getting Miami and the Jets?

He said he would only waive it for Saints, Cowboys, Raiders, Bears.

Best to worst spots:

Stay in Seattle
Saints
Cowboys
Raiders
Bears.
I'd be much more excited with the prospects of Saints or Cowboys. Being a Russ owner for years, it's frustrating to start him for 6 weeks at a time to get QB2 numbers and then about the time you loose faith, he puts up all-time great numbers in a game. That isn't by any doing of his own but by the game plan in Seattle. I think Russ is one of if not the best QB in the game right now but I can see his frustration. If he goes elsewhere, believe me....they'll let Russ cook.

I'd be much more excited with the prospects of Saints or Cowboys. Being a Russ owner for years, it's frustrating to start him for 6 weeks at a time to get QB2 numbers and then about the time you loose faith, he puts up all-time great numbers in a game. That isn't by any doing of his own but by the game plan in Seattle. I think Russ is one of if not the best QB in the game right now but I can see his frustration. If he goes elsewhere, believe me....they'll let Russ cook.
I agree...I think he would put up massive numbers in both Dallas and New Orleans. But Dallas, especially. I would be shocked if he wasn’t a top 3 QB there. 

I agree...I think he would put up massive numbers in both Dallas and New Orleans. But Dallas, especially. I would be shocked if he wasn’t a top 3 QB there. 
Shocked if not top 3 might be a bit aggressive. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Rodgers, Allen and mahomes finished above him. 

Sounds like this list of teams he would accept to be traded has been around for awhile and not that he just gave them to the Hawks in response to this dustup.

Deamon said:
Where are you getting Miami and the Jets?

He said he would only waive it for Saints, Cowboys, Raiders, Bears.

The Frankman said:
The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar, Mike Sando and Jayson Jenks report Russell Wilson's camp has broached trade destinations with Seattle to the Dolphins, Jets, Saints and Raiders.

Deamon said:
Best to worst spots:

Stay in Seattle
Saints
Cowboys
Raiders
Bears.
I go back and forth on this one. Russ in Chicago makes it a no brainier playoff team. If they can keep ARob, Mooney Kmet and Monty that makes for a pretty exciting offense teamed with a solidly above average defense. That seems to be the recipe for Superbowl runs in this day and age. 

My concern is that Nagy's ego would be counterproductive with Russ expecting to give input. The two of them ending up at loggerheads would be disaster for many, many years to come. 

I go back and forth on this one. Russ in Chicago makes it a no brainier playoff team. If they can keep ARob, Mooney Kmet and Monty that makes for a pretty exciting offense teamed with a solidly above average defense. That seems to be the recipe for Superbowl runs in this day and age. 

My concern is that Nagy's ego would be counterproductive with Russ expecting to give input. The two of them ending up at loggerheads would be disaster for many, many years to come. 
I'm not debating that they could be a playoff team.  Question was to rank the destinations in terms of fantasy success.  I think Chicago would be the worst fantasy situation for him of those four options.  I'd expect him to be throwing it a lot more in the other cities.

Deamon said:
Best to worst spots:

Stay in Seattle
Saints
Cowboys
Raiders
Bears.
Are you talking about NFL or fantasy value? I'd argue that if he goes to the Bears, he makes them a contender more than Dallas or LV.

I always find it pretty rich when these QBs demand the respect of the highest contract ever and then complain that there's no one to block for them.
To be fair, Seattle has had many, many years to remedy the OL problem and largely have just chose not to, instead choosing to do things like draft a running back in the first round. 

Wouldn't you expect that to get him, CHI would have to give up SEVERAL of their better players? I don't see how they get Russell AND keep the team together. Not to mention, wasn't the CHI line pretty porous in and of itself? Seems like an odd choice for a guy complaining about getting hit.

Are you talking about NFL or fantasy value? I'd argue that if he goes to the Bears, he makes them a contender more than Dallas or LV.
Ya the question I answered was to the guy asking "Dynasty owners, where do you NOT want him landing".

It was purely from a fantasy standpoint.

Wouldn't you expect that to get him, CHI would have to give up SEVERAL of their better players? I don't see how they get Russell AND keep the team together. Not to mention, wasn't the CHI line pretty porous in and of itself? Seems like an odd choice for a guy complaining about getting hit.
The line really came together toward the end of the season. Add a tackle or a guy who can play both inside and out and it'll be fine. Besides, Russ seems to work better under pressure. 

The names being floated around the "hot take" circuit are Mack and Monty. The loss of Mack surely would hurt and the idea that Quinn takes over that role is terrifying, but the D itself would still be an overall strong unit. Monty is replaceable, period. 

The point being, taking a hit on the defensive side of the ball and finding a new RB are much easier than finding a QB of Russ' ability. Russ also would move into a situation where he'd have a more progressive coaching staff and presumably have some say in the direction of the team. 

Users who are viewing this thread