What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cole Beasley, BUF (1 Viewer)

Good point.

This place is getting beyond silly. 

If Cole Beasley becomes a top 20 fantasy WR, are people only allowed to discuss it this forum? Or will there be a Cole Beasley "football talk only" thread be started in the Shark Pool? 

Politics can bleed into the discussion about any NFL player. Anyone who follows the news has probably heard about Beasley and his anti-vax stance, and could have avoided this thread in the SP once they saw that this was what the discussion was about.

For some reason people want a thread about a current NFL player locked or moved because they are incapable of scrolling past it because it includes some non-football related discussion that they can't handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point.

If Cole Beasley becomes a top 10 fantasy WR, are people only allowed to discuss it this forum? Or will there be a Cole Beasley "football talk only" thread be started in the Shark Pool? 

Politics can bleed in the discussion about any NFL player. Anyone who follows the news has probably heard about Beasley and his anti-vax stance, and could have avoided this thread in the SP once they saw that this was what the discussion was about.

For some reason people want a thread about a current NFL player locked or moved because they are incapable of scrolling past it because it includes some non-football related discussion that they can't handle.
And the conversation was generally civil. 

Good point.

If Cole Beasley becomes a top 10 fantasy WR, are people only allowed to discuss it this forum? Or will there be a Cole Beasley "football talk only" thread be started in the Shark Pool? 

Politics can bleed in the discussion about any NFL player. Anyone who follows the news has probably heard about Beasley and his anti-vax stance, and could have avoided this thread in the SP once they saw that this was what the discussion was about.

Tom Brady MAGA hat

why we gotta infringe on a mans right to pass a deadly disease to other people 
This is the other side of the coin to Beasley's silly logic.  I will never understand this argument.

It is now your choice if you want to be susceptible to the disease.  The burden is no longer on other people to protect you.

Makes about as much sense as Beasley's whatabout god logic.

I am 100% behind Cole.. I mean the plandemic is over, right?
Plandemic?

And it is over? Well, many states have reopened everything, like California...but...

People can still be infected, become sick and hospitalized with COVID, no?

And there are mutant more virulent viruses out there too...

This is the other side of the coin to Beasley's silly logic.  I will never understand this argument.

It is now your choice if you want to be susceptible to the disease.  The burden is no longer on other people to protect you.

Makes about as much sense as Beasley's whatabout god logic.
Beasley’s personal health is only one consideration. There may be people on the team or in the organization who can’t take the vaccination due to medical reasons. Allowing Beasley to ignore all the protocols puts those people at risk as well. Also, you need to take into consideration that if Beasley practices and plays with the team without any precautions being taken, the chances of him getting Covid under circumstances that end up derailing an NFL game increases. And that is a situation that can cost the team/league millions. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
There may be people on the team or in the organization who can’t take the vaccination due to medical reasons. 
Are those people allowed into the work place to put others (and themselves) at risk?

Seems like a situation that could cost the team/league millions.

Are those people allowed into the work place to put others (and themselves) at risk?

Seems like a situation that could cost the team/league millions.
Sure. So long as they follow safety protocols. I was responding to the suggestion that Beasley should be able to participate without the onerous safety protocols since it’s his choice to put himself at risk. 

Sure. So long as they follow safety protocols. I was responding to the suggestion that Beasley should be able to participate without the onerous safety protocols since it’s his choice to put himself at risk. 
Are we aware of any medical reasons to not take the vaccine?  It seems in general those with health issues are the ones that need to get vaccinated.

The more at risk putting the onus on a young healthy guy with nothing to fear from covid seems backwards.

Are we aware of any medical reasons to not take the vaccine? 
Not being fully FDA approved for a virus with a 99.9% survival rate for my age is enough for me. 

Also of you already have the antibodies, there is no proof taking the vaccine adds additional protection.

Not being fully FDA approved for a virus with a 99.9% survival rate for my age is enough for me. 

Also of you already have the antibodies, there is no proof taking the vaccine adds additional protection.
He was implying medical reasons preventing someone from taking it, like a contraindication.

ie Beasley was putting someone who could not take it (as opposed to choosing not to take it) at risk..

eta - all I can find are allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), usually figured out after given a vaccine.

Will you be vaccinated when they’re FDA approved? The mRNA vaccines makers have applied, and have the required 6 months of safety data. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pfizer and Moderna are approved by mid to late Summer.

Do you base other vaccination decisions on survival rates? FTR, most vaccine preventable illnesses have low case fatality rates in young, otherwise healthy people.

How does one know if they have SARS-CoV-2 antibodies? Antibody testing isn’t routinely performed for any indication outside of research settings. And there’s definitely data that the mRNA vaccines lead to more brisk antibody response than natural immunity.

Will you be vaccinated when they’re FDA approved? The mRNA vaccines makers have applied, and have the required 6 months of safety data. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pfizer and Moderna are approved by mid to late Summer.

Do you base other vaccination decisions on survival rates? FTR, most vaccine preventable illnesses have low case fatality rates in young, otherwise healthy people.

How does one know if they have SARS-CoV-2 antibodies? Antibody testing isn’t routinely performed for any indication outside of research settings. And there’s definitely data that the mRNA vaccines lead to more brisk antibody response than natural immunity.
I'll make that decision when the time comes. No reason to rush at the moment.

I've been stuck with more needles than anyone in here due to my military deployments. This one isnt mandatory for me, so I'll wait.

If you had covid 19, you most likely have the antibodies now.

Are we aware of any medical reasons to not take the vaccine?  It seems in general those with health issues are the ones that need to get vaccinated.

The more at risk putting the onus on a young healthy guy with nothing to fear from covid seems backwards.
https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine

For example, my nephew had an allergic reaction to the first shot and was advised by his physician not to get the second dose. So he’s not fully vaccinated (I think he might have 30% protection).

Also, it’s about putting the onus on someone who presents a transmission risk. That applies both to people who can’t take the vaccine and people who won’t take the vaccine.

I'll make that decision when the time comes. No reason to rush at the moment.

I've been stuck with more needles than anyone in here due to my military deployments. This one isnt mandatory for me, so I'll wait.

If you had covid 19, you most likely have the antibodies now.
Assuming FDA approval, what factors will convince you to vaccinate? What will deter you?

Not everyone infected with covid develops antibodies. This study showed up to 8.5% of infected people fail to seroconvert. One of the arguments to vaccinate those with prior infection rests on more consistent, higher neutralizing antibody titers seen in vaccinated people than those with natural immunity.

https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine

For example, my nephew had an allergic reaction to the first shot and was advised by his physician not to get the second dose. So he’s not fully vaccinated (I think he might have 30% protection).
Did he anaphylax (drop his blood pressure, have face/mouth swelling, shortness of breath +/- hives)?

Anaphylaxis to the vaccine, or one of it’s components, is the only absolute contraindication.

Beasley’s personal health is only one consideration. There may be people on the team or in the organization who can’t take the vaccination due to medical reasons. Allowing Beasley to ignore all the protocols puts those people at risk as well. Also, you need to take into consideration that if Beasley practices and plays with the team without any precautions being taken, the chances of him getting Covid under circumstances that end up derailing an NFL game increases. And that is a situation that can cost the team/league millions. 
You obviously stated this well. But I don’t understand why your point isn’t just obvious to everybody. 

Do you intend to get tested to see if you have developed the antibodies?

Assuming FDA approval, what factors will convince you to vaccinate? What will deter you?

Not everyone infected with covid develops antibodies. This study showed up to 8.5% of infected people fail to seroconvert. One of the arguments to vaccinate those with prior infection rests on more consistent, higher neutralizing antibody titers seen in vaccinated people than those with natural immunity.
It has to be safe and effective with some clear understanding of what the future requirements and effectiveness vs variants are.

Also, it’s about putting the onus on someone who presents a transmission risk. That applies both to people who can’t take the vaccine and people who won’t take the vaccine.
It was about putting the onus on us all for being transmission risks, until the supply outran demand - now we all have the choice to get vaccinated and protect ourselves.  The non vaccinated cant transmit it to those who protected themselves.

Your nephew was the one in one hundred thousand apparently:

During December 14–23, 2020, monitoring by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System detected 21 cases of anaphylaxis after administration of a reported 1,893,360 first doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (11.1 cases per million doses)
I believe the first shot effectiveness is more along the lines of 82%+.

That study (first link on search, I can post the lancet link too) that shows some neurological damage from Covid infection would likely push me over the edge if I were vaccine hesitant. 
https://cw34.com/news/local/new-study-finds-evidence-of-brain-damage-from-covid-19

Dying from Covid seems to be the end all be all some people focus on in their calculus, but, for example, my sister in law still has no sense of smell since December. Much to the delight of her gaseous husband..,

It has to be safe and effective with some clear understanding of what the future requirements and effectiveness vs variants are.
Well we know it is both safe and effective already, and I have no reason to believe the FDA’s approval process will change that understanding.

We also know the mRNA vaccines work against the major variants of interest, though slightly less well against the delta version.

It’s impossible to predict if a vaccine refractory variant will emerge. And we don’t know exactly how long-lasting immunity is for existing variants.

Given those gaps in our knowledge, how long will you wait until enough time has passed to take the plunge?

I had my 2nd Moderna shot a week ago and I looked it before I went in and the effectiveness was about 92% after the first and about 94% after the second,
Right.  This is why I am hesitant to get my kids their second shots, they almost certainly already had it, and the disease was never a threat to them in the first place.

I am currently satisfied with 92% (although they got pfizer) protection against a largely non existent risk to them.

eta - also why @bigbottom's nephew is likely perfectly covered and shouldnt worry about the likes of Beasley.

Well we know it is both safe and effective already, and I have no reason to believe the FDA’s approval process will change that understanding.

We also know the mRNA vaccines work against the major variants of interest, though slightly less well against the delta version.

It’s impossible to predict if a vaccine refractory variant will emerge. And we don’t know exactly how long-lasting immunity is for existing variants.

Given those gaps in our knowledge, how long will you wait until enough time has passed to take the plunge?
I'm probably waiting until the FDA approved it and the military mandates it. 

Right. And that’s really what this discussion is about right? 35% of the public refuse to be vaccinated, and resist the idea. Most of those of us in the 65% bracket are frustrated by this. 
I'm in the 65% bracket.

I have no idea why this would frustrate me.  

I'm in the 65% bracket.

I have no idea why this would frustrate me.  
Same.  

I want Beasley to get vaccinated because I don't want him missing any games.  Otherwise, he's a grown adult and I don't care how he chooses to live his life.  His choice to get vaccinated or not has no affect on me whatsoever, so my approach is to do what any red-blooded American should do in a situation like this -- mind my own business.

I'm probably waiting until the FDA approved it and the military mandates it. 
Asking for your opinion on what will happen as opposed to what should happen.  From your experience is it likely that the military mandates it rather shortly after the formal approval?    Is this article representative of your experience with those around you?

I've suspected that my employer would mandate the vaccine all along.  But with screensavers saying that 80% or so of the employees have already  been vaccinated I'm guessing that the requirement won't be immediate but part of 2022's requirements (assuming approved soon).  Though this is just a guess, my reasoning is that waiting a few months makes the announcement "quieter" and largely serves the same function.  Would something like this be something we might see with the military - a slight delay in an actual requirement but a requirement nonetheless? 

Same.  

I want Beasley to get vaccinated because I don't want him missing any games.  Otherwise, he's a grown adult and I don't care how he chooses to live his life.  His choice to get vaccinated or not has no affect on me whatsoever, so my approach is to do what any red-blooded American should do in a situation like this -- mind my own business.
Per usual, you said it better than I ever could.  :thumbup:

Did he anaphylax (drop his blood pressure, have face/mouth swelling, shortness of breath +/- hives)?

Anaphylaxis to the vaccine, or one of it’s components, is the only absolute contraindication.
I don’t know about blood pressure, but yes to the others. 

Asking for your opinion on what will happen as opposed to what should happen.  From your experience is it likely that the military mandates it rather shortly after the formal approval?    Is this article representative of your experience with those around you?

I've suspected that my employer would mandate the vaccine all along.  But with screensavers saying that 80% or so of the employees have already  been vaccinated I'm guessing that the requirement won't be immediate but part of 2022's requirements (assuming approved soon).  Though this is just a guess, my reasoning is that waiting a few months makes the announcement "quieter" and largely serves the same function.  Would something like this be something we might see with the military - a slight delay in an actual requirement but a requirement nonetheless? 
I do think it will eventually be mandated for the military after FDA approval. I don't think it should, but the military has a history of doing that and I think this administration wants it.

The chaotic implementation of the Antrax vaccine is still something on the military's radar. It was approved, then halted, then mandated and still reports are coming out 20 years later that possibly connect the vaccine to Gulf War Syndrome. You can try to tie the vaccine to VA compensation, I don't know how well or easy that gets rated. Right now they are telling the military this is a voluntary vaccine that you shouldnt expect any VA claims on later in life if side effects do occur.

It's a good article, and fairly representative of my group. I think the latest uptick came with SOCOM guidance that vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks at work, so that did motivate some stragglers to get it.

Unfortunately I do think if they mandate the vaccine, it has been so overly politicized that the military may have to expect some personnel losses. 

Public health experts tell us this is not the case. 
Anybody you're still listening to who tells you this is mistaken.  The vaccines work really well.  

If you're not vaccinated for some reason, you should be very skittish about hanging out with other unvaccinated people.  If you're vaccinated, you're pretty much golden.  I imagine that lots of us will look back on Q1-Q2 2021 six months from now and wonder why we made such a big deal out of this kind of thing -- it's not logical.

Users who are viewing this thread