What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear makers of Elf on a shelf (1 Viewer)

So would it freak kids out too much if you left a photo of the elf tied up and a ransom note cut out of magazine letters and said you better behave until xmas or the elf gets it? Then you could have him get released a couple days early and have quite the caper to tell.

Nightmares? Fine i won't do it.

Nigel said:
My daughter loves Elf. She went nuts the last 2 mornings over that thing. Xmas magic like Santa and Elf only lasts a short time. I am going to enjoy every minute of this time and enjoy making this time of the year special for my kid. My wife and I move the Elf around each night. It only takes a few minutes and is fun.
Pretty sure this the last year for us, with our youngest of three being 9. End of an era, kind of sad.
Your 9 year old is still buying this?

Not being snide, serious question.
She at least pretends to, but she's also a fantastic liar so hard to tell. I would guess not but we're playing along for one more year.
man, i feel bad for you. good luck!

If anyon else has the North Pole comminicator (not associated with the elf), and you have two kids, make sure they do it together. My son did it yesterday morning and then when my daughter went to do it, the airwaves were all busy

They both did it this morning and spoke to Santa

And my 8.5 year old daughter is still a believer. I thought for sure she would find out in third grade this year but so far, nothing

And my 8.5 year old daughter is still a believer. I thought for sure she would find out in third grade this year but so far, nothing
That's encouraging. My oldest just turned 7 and I'm getting sad thinking about that day.

That's encouraging. My oldest just turned 7 and I'm getting sad thinking about that day.
You should be good for awhile. My high school aged son told me the other day that a girl at school broke the news to him in 5th grade.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
You should be good for awhile. My high school aged son told me the other day that a girl at school broke the news to him in 5th grade.
Yep I posted above. Being an "only child" I think helps. My daughter just turned 10 in September. She is no dummy, very logical and asks all the right questions but is very much an innocent "naive/believer".

We feel like after this year we have to tell her so shes not some "weirdo" at school. Shes already said there are kids that don't believe in santa.

:cry:

My ten year old still believes. I thought for sure he would figure it out, but so far so good. I'm thinking this probably the last year for him. Just hope he doesn't blow it for the 7 and 5 year olds.

Nothing better than Christmas morning when your kids still believe in Santa.

Yep I posted above. Being an "only child" I think helps. My daughter just turned 10 in September. She is no dummy, very logical and asks all the right questions but is very much an innocent "naive/believer". We feel like after this year we have to tell her so shes not some "weirdo" at school. Shes already said there are kids that don't believe in santa.

:cry:
This is where we are at but we're not going to tell her he's not real. I think kids figure it out on their own but don't want to mess up the program. Ironically, I think they don't want to upset their parents so they play along.

Both of our girls have told us that everybody at school told them that their parents by the gifts and Santa isn't real. My oldest isnt what you call a big thinker and is probably pretty indifferent about it. My youngest who is the brainiac of the family is the one who asked all the questions but going back to my earlier post in this thread came to the conclusion that her parents are too cheap to buy all those gifts. A fat man in a red suit driven by reindeer is more believable than her dad OK thousands of dollars worth of purchases. Lol.

Sorry for the run-on sentence is I'm driving downtown in the rain and using voice to text.

belljr said:
My 10 year old still believes in Santa. We have to tell her after this year right?

We don't do the elf but figured this is a good place to ask
I think you have to tell them before middle school, if they make it that far believing. Otherwise, just let them figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just told my son, who is 10. He was asking and saying too much in front of our younger daughter, that I didn't want it ruined for her.

I was hoping his reaction would be more of "you guys are awesome for getting me all that stuff", but it was more disappointment.

We just told my son, who is 10. He was asking and saying too much in front of our younger daughter, that I didn't want it ruined for her.

I was hoping his reaction would be more of "you guys are awesome for getting me all that stuff", but it was more disappointment.
Do you think it was because he thought the presents might stop? Or did you explain that? I guess the excitement of knowing this magical man isn't real is a letdown at first. But come Christmas morning, presents heal a lot of wounds.

Do you think it was because he thought the presents might stop? Or did you explain that? I guess the excitement of knowing this magical man isn't real is a letdown at first. But come Christmas morning, presents heal a lot of wounds.
Yes we explained everything. I think he was just in shock.

Yes we explained everything. I think he was just in shock.
:( Yeah, Cal was the same way. I think it took a full year before it really sunk it.

Glad Dyl is still young and believes. He laughs like a maniac every morning seeing the elf. It rules.

MY oldest is turning 12. She must know. Although she's still plays American Gril dolls and pretends a lot. I think we have to tell her but I just worry about her telling the younger one. Sucks when your kids grow up. Wish they could have stayed 5 and 8.

MY oldest is turning 12. She must know. Although she's still plays American Gril dolls and pretends a lot. I think we have to tell her but I just worry about her telling the younger one. Sucks when your kids grow up. Wish they could have stayed 5 and 8.
I teach 8th grade. I routinely say things like santa is getting my kids xxxxx. If im ruining it for an 8th grader I feel like a ####. But then again, kids should know by 8th grade, no?

10 going on 11 on Christmas Eve and 6 year old girls both believe still though the older one has been questioning.

We don't have elf on a shelf but we have our own version. My wife didn't care for the commercial one so she created her own using a barbie (one of the disney fairies) and elf christmas clothes. She has visited 3-4 years now and the last two years has brought her little sister. Wife is in charge of moving her around at night but not only does that but leaves letters printed in tiny font. The kids write back to her daily.

I truly don't understand why people lie this much toothier kids. I don't think it sets a very good example. Not blaming anybody. There is no stopping it at this point. I really just don't get why people make up this Santa thing. Now the elf on top of it. Just straight up lies.

I truly don't understand why people lie this much toothier kids. I don't think it sets a very good example. Not blaming anybody. There is no stopping it at this point. I really just don't get why people make up this Santa thing. Now the elf on top of it. Just straight up lies.
The Santa thing, I get. It's an institution, it's too deep in our culture and if you're the one parent that doesn't do it, you're the weirdo ####### killing your kids childhood. It's seen as magical.

But the Elf on the Shelf thing, I totally agree with you. It's nothing like Santa--parents and kids have fun with it, but at its foundation it's just manipulative--it's supposed to make your job easier and get the kids to behave leading up to Christmas. It's ####ed up.

The Santa thing, I get. It's an institution, it's too deep in our culture and if you're the one parent that doesn't do it, you're the weirdo ####### killing your kids childhood. It's seen as magical.
There's no such thing as magic. Should't raise anyone to believe there is. Only to then crush their world when you finally tell them. Pretty weird, imo.

I also disagree with the weirdo parent thing. A lot of people don't celebrate it. I wouldn't call them weirdos. But we don't need to take this thread there. I'll see myself out.

There's no such thing as magic. Should't raise anyone to believe there is. Only to then crush their world when you finally tell them. Pretty weird, imo.

I also disagree with the weirdo parent thing. A lot of people don't celebrate it. I wouldn't call them weirdos. But we don't need to take this thread there. I'll see myself out.
Hi. Let me pop in, call everyone weirdos and then pop out so you can't rebut.

Good stuff.

I teach 8th grade. I routinely say things like santa is getting my kids xxxxx. If im ruining it for an 8th grader I feel like a ####. But then again, kids should know by 8th grade, no?
I just assume that all my students are non-believers.

hint: you know why there isn't a children's bestseller called "there is no god and your life is meaningless?"

Sebowski said:
Wow really? Where did you come from to think like this?

Do you have kids?

Sebowski said:
I didnt realize people we allowed to post to fbg from North Korea.

Sebowski said:
Toothy.

To me, the world is so cynical and snarky that it's actually pretty neat that there's this common bond between almost every adult...(either in the form of active participation or respectful non-participation) in regards to Santa Claus.

Is there any more special moment as a parent than the day you let your kids know that you've been lying to them their entire lives?

Sebowski said:

Do you have kids?
I come from around here. Raised with Santa and everything. I just have a very hard time with lying. Like, it's a big deal for me. Big or small. Bothers the hell out of me. No kids. If I did I wouldn't raise them on lies. I believe in leading by example. But that's just me I guess. Different strokes.... Let's just leave it at that though.

Quick question. Be honest. Just curious. Do any of you regret going the santa and/or elf route? Do you stress about the conversation you are going to have to have with them about it some day? Or if you've already done that, did it make you rethink it? Seriously not trolling here. I can't blame anyone for doing it. It's what we know. It's who we are. I just don't get it.

Sebowski said:

Do you have kids?
I come from around here. Raised with Santa and everything. I just have a very hard time with lying. Like, it's a big deal for me. Big or small. Bothers the hell out of me. No kids. If I did I wouldn't raise them on lies. I believe in leading by example. But that's just me I guess. Different strokes.... Let's just leave it at that though.

Quick question. Be honest. Just curious. Do any of you regret going the santa and/or elf route? Do you stress about the conversation you are going to have to have with them about it some day? Or if you've already done that, did it make you rethink it? Seriously not trolling here. I can't blame anyone for doing it. It's what we know. It's who we are. I just don't get it.
Its about time someone called society out on the Santa lie. This institutionalized and heinous deceit could very well be a part of what is tearing at the very fabric of our civilization.

Children should be forced to face the raw truth at the earliest of ages and understand just how stacked the odds are against them.

And thanks for not blaming us, I can understand why someone insightful enough to see through the whole "Santa lie" would be so non-judgemental.

Sebowski said:

Do you have kids?

Its about time someone called society out on the Santa lie. This institutionalized and heinous deceit could very well be a part of what is tearing at the very fabric of our civilization.

Children should be forced to face the raw truth at the earliest of ages and understand just how stacked the odds are against them.

And thanks for not blaming us, I can understand why someone insightful enough to see through the whole "Santa lie" would be so non-judgemental.
What raw truth are you hiding from kids by telling them there's a Santa and an Elf that reports to him? You are aware that a great majority of the world does not teach their youth of a presents yielding old man, aren't you? I guess they're all just cynical weirdos.... Happy Hanukkah people.

Sebowski said:
Wow really? Where did you come from to think like this?Do you have kids?

Nope. My sin was proud he figured it out.My daughter will have a tougher time

Users who are viewing this thread