What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (3 Viewers)

A good backup QB is a real need in today's NFL. Starters get hurt a lot.  Some young guys don't work out.

I think lots of teams will be interested in him, but maybe not until after the draft.  I could definitely see my WAS interested.  But they can't get him until after the draft unless they want to devalue the #2 pick's trade value.  Of course if they are drafting Chase Young anyway, it wouldn't matter and they could sign him.  $s gonna be the question for all interested.  How much will you pay for a likely non-starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Mike Giardi reports the Patriots are "unlikely" to target free agent QB Jameis Winston.

Obviously Winston's tendency to rack up bone-headed interceptions wouldn't theoretically mesh very well with coach Bill Belichick, but this potential partnership would be among the league's most entertaining duos as far as memes and unintentional comedy are concerned. Recent reports have indicated both the Redskins, Chargers and Patriots are out of the Jameis sweepstakes, leaving the Dolphins and potentially the Raiders as the only somewhat realistic landing spots where Winston could feasibly be a Week 1 starter in 2020. Perhaps a backup role will be on the table before too long.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Mar 20, 2020, 1:11 PM ET

You spout off a lot of inaccurate statements.
I apologize.

He played 1 'relevant' year in college.

He wasnt getting drafted prior to this year. My statement was incorrect. I meant only one year put him on the map. I should have stated it better

I apologize.

He wasnt getting drafted prior to this year. My statement was incorrect. I meant only one year put him on the map. I should have stated it better
Check out Kurt Warner's college stats. Shows how college 'stats' are meaningless in determining NFL ability.,

Same thing with Daniel Jones, his college stats weren't good, but we knew he had the most drops by a division 1 QB and zero 4 or 5 star skilled position players on the roster. 

It's very apparent he's not going to get a starting gig this year. If I'm the Steelers I'm on the phone with his agent today to see if he would back up Big Ben. He's better than Devlin or Mason and would get a spot with a decent shot to play at some point this year.

It's very apparent he's not going to get a starting gig this year. If I'm the Steelers I'm on the phone with his agent today to see if he would back up Big Ben. He's better than Devlin or Mason and would get a spot with a decent shot to play at some point this year.
I think Rudolph is better than Winston. Especially because Winston isn't accepting a clear backup deal, for backup money. He'll at least want a shot at starting, which won't happen with Big Ben there. Not to mention, its not like the Steelers have much cap room.

But other than that, I think Rudolph might just be a better player. He'd have been a lot better of he had Evans/Godwin to throw to, with Arians calling the plays. Instead he had nothing but injured or inexperienced guys to throw to, and an OC who seemed in over his head without Big Ben.

The best spot for Winston would be the Chargers in my opinion. If he is willing to accept a pure backup job, his best move wold be to swallow his pride and stay in Tampa behind a 43 year old QB. Winston will still only be 28 when Brady's deal is done. That is probably highly unlikely though.

I think Rudolph is better than Winston. Especially because Winston isn't accepting a clear backup deal, for backup money. He'll at least want a shot at starting, which won't happen with Big Ben there. Not to mention, its not like the Steelers have much cap room.

But other than that, I think Rudolph might just be a better player. He'd have been a lot better of he had Evans/Godwin to throw to, with Arians calling the plays. Instead he had nothing but injured or inexperienced guys to throw to, and an OC who seemed in over his head without Big Ben.

The best spot for Winston would be the Chargers in my opinion. If he is willing to accept a pure backup job, his best move wold be to swallow his pride and stay in Tampa behind a 43 year old QB. Winston will still only be 28 when Brady's deal is done. That is probably highly unlikely though.
There is absolutely no way Mason Rudolph is better than Jameis Winston.

I will admit i might have more faith in him than others and i might admit I am wrong on some of my thoughts due to the above but I cant agree with this.

Rudolph is AWFUL

Remove fantasy football from the equation.

Mason Rudolph had 1 awful game, wherein a guy ripped off his helmet and assaulted him with it. Set aside that one game, and Rudolph averaged:

64% completions, 12-5 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating over 80 in all but 1 game. He did this despite being thrown into an offense with a mediocre(to put it kindly) playcaller in an offense that was built for a 16 year veteran, that was missing their #1 WR, and #1 RB for chunks of the season, and they were limited even when they were playing. Leaving 4 guys with almost no experience to carry the load(Samuels,Snell, Washington, Johnson) 

Even with the Browns game, Rudolph had 62% completions, 13/9 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating over 80 in all but 2 games. (80%)

Also these were the 1st 10 starts of Rudolph's career.

Winston on the other hand:

60% completions, 33-35 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating under 80 a whopping 8(50%) times. This despite the best WR combo in the NFL, and an excellent playcaller. Winston also has been starting for 5 years, yet he's still making rookie mistakes(probably more than he made as an actual rookie) In his defense Evans and Godwin both got hurt late in the year, but the sample size is plenty big enough by that point. 

I don't think people realize how poorly Winston played last year. Tampa Bay missed the playoffs because of Winston. He cost them at least 4 games by himself. Rudolph cost the Steelers the Browns game, no argument there, that is really it. 

I have argued in a different thread that going from Winston to Brady alone, makes the Bucs a playoff team. I think Brady, BY HIMSELF, is worth 2-6 wins more than Winston, even at 43 years of age.

Winston takes a lot more off the table than he adds to it. He shouldn't be starting for any NFL team in my opinion, and I would much rather take my chances on a guy like Mason Rudolph, as well as some other small sample size QB's, who I think the jury is still out on. We know what Winston is, and it isn't a successful QB.

Someone will pick him up as a backup and see if he improves. It’d be suicide to bring him in as a starter, the coach and gm will be fired at the end of the year.
with no interest in him it seems like he can be had for pretty low cost.  I'm not sure there is much risk there...

Teams are really going to get a bargain ... Winston clearly has starter's talent; he's just a knucklehead. In this era where QBs are stupid overpaid (Tannehill/Foles/etc), it's really an oddity that he's still on the market. I think the bigger issue is the teams with the really good offensive QB gurus aren't looking to take a "project"; Colts nabbed Rivers due to familiarity with Reich, Chargers and Anthony Lynn value Tyrod Taylor because he worked with him for a few years. Due to that and the sudden signing of Brady by the Bucs, Winston's market hasn't remotely materialized in the way he thought it would.

I think he'd undervalued because IMO there is a lot of talent in that guy.  But coaches don't like players that turn the ball over.  Simple as that.

ETA:  I am also starting to wonder if GMs/Owners think COVID may wreck part of the season.  So they are backing off on higher priced FA signings that would have mucho guaranteed $s in them.

Losing Rivers is a major blow to Keenan Allen's fantasy value. I'll take these Pick-6 machine over tyrod every day of the week. Keenan's targets would be double with Winston over Tyrod.

Winston to SD. Make it happen. Who cares if they lose and he throws 3 INTs a game. It's all about my fantasy team.

Remove fantasy football from the equation.

Mason Rudolph had 1 awful game, wherein a guy ripped off his helmet and assaulted him with it. Set aside that one game, and Rudolph averaged:

64% completions, 12-5 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating over 80 in all but 1 game. He did this despite being thrown into an offense with a mediocre(to put it kindly) playcaller in an offense that was built for a 16 year veteran, that was missing their #1 WR, and #1 RB for chunks of the season, and they were limited even when they were playing. Leaving 4 guys with almost no experience to carry the load(Samuels,Snell, Washington, Johnson) 

Even with the Browns game, Rudolph had 62% completions, 13/9 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating over 80 in all but 2 games. (80%)

Also these were the 1st 10 starts of Rudolph's career.

Winston on the other hand:

60% completions, 33-35 TD/TO ratio, and a passer rating under 80 a whopping 8(50%) times. This despite the best WR combo in the NFL, and an excellent playcaller. Winston also has been starting for 5 years, yet he's still making rookie mistakes(probably more than he made as an actual rookie) In his defense Evans and Godwin both got hurt late in the year, but the sample size is plenty big enough by that point. 

I don't think people realize how poorly Winston played last year. Tampa Bay missed the playoffs because of Winston. He cost them at least 4 games by himself. Rudolph cost the Steelers the Browns game, no argument there, that is really it. 

I have argued in a different thread that going from Winston to Brady alone, makes the Bucs a playoff team. I think Brady, BY HIMSELF, is worth 2-6 wins more than Winston, even at 43 years of age.

Winston takes a lot more off the table than he adds to it. He shouldn't be starting for any NFL team in my opinion, and I would much rather take my chances on a guy like Mason Rudolph, as well as some other small sample size QB's, who I think the jury is still out on. We know what Winston is, and it isn't a successful QB.
100%

This situation is amusing to me. We've known all along that Winston was a terrible QB. It's like the NFL finally worked it out and put aside his draft status and "potential" because the reality was finally too obvious. 

I think 'kudos' was used wrong here and gave off the wrong impression. I don't think he knows what kudos are. That, I guess, says something, but "kudos to me" in the context of what he was saying just sounds like a misuse of the word.

rockaction said:
I think 'kudos' was used wrong here and gave off the wrong impression. I don't think he knows what kudos are. That, I guess, says something, but "kudos to me" in the context of what he was saying just sounds like a misuse of the word.
oh, he knows what they are...  

(rootin for you Jameis!)

i couldn't either and no time to fix.  (old school spoiler alert ... link was for Kudos Granola Bars)-
We used to have those as a kid because the Moms thought they were better for you than candy bars.

Here's a pro tip, Ma: they weren't. 

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette considers the Steelers unlikely to pursue free agent Jameis Winston as Ben Roethlisberger's backup. 

Pittsburgh has been a popular choice when people brainstorm Winston destinations, but reporter Brian Batko considers it unlikely for a number of reasons. Winston has drawn Roethlisberger comparisons at times throughout his career, but Big Ben has never been quite as erratic on the field. So far, Winston's market has seemed cold as ice, but he is a starting-level talent who will instantly become one of the league's best backups as soon as he signs. As the Steelers learned the hard way in 2019, they badly need an upgrade behind Roethlisberger. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Apr 9, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

C'mon Chargers. You are not really going with Tyrod are ya?
Haha.  I suppose crazier things have happened,  but I would be blown away if that happens.  Lynn is too risk averse for that. Only remote chance is if Taylor gets hurt and they don't draft a QB.  And even then I would be surprised. 

I apologize.

Finishing #6 isn't relevant?  They beat #8 Miami, #7 Auburn, #2 Georgia, #22 Mississippi State, and won the Fiesta Bowl over the red-hot UCF team.  He threw for almost 3000 yard and 23 TD's coming into the program at the end of May that "non-relevant" season ffs.  At OSU he sat behind golden boy JT Barrett and then Haskins who threw for 50 TD's that year. 

rockaction said:
I think the author mis-spelled crab legs.

I think the author mis-spelled crab legs.
I was going to work a joke like that in, believe it or not.

Ahhh Jameis. There's sort of a Twitter war going on with he and David Carr, I think. Some online e-rag had posted a video of him training under pressure (he's getting a large medicine ball swung at him) and David Carr tweeted that he should "hire somebody other than his friends to train him" or something like that. Peeps got upset. 

Here's the story. Pretty lame all around. No crab leg jokes.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/09/david-carr-chides-jameis-winston-for-training-choices/

I was going to work a joke like that in, believe it or not.

Ahhh Jameis. There's sort of a Twitter war going on with he and David Carr, I think. Some online e-rag had posted a video of him training under pressure (he's getting a large medicine ball swung at him) and David Carr tweeted that he should "hire somebody other than his friends to train him" or something like that. Peeps got upset. 

Here's the story. Pretty lame all around. No crab leg jokes.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/09/david-carr-chides-jameis-winston-for-training-choices/
David Carr had his own issues at playing QB in the NFL, he should probably keep to himself on things like this.

Finishing #6 isn't relevant?  They beat #8 Miami, #7 Auburn, #2 Georgia, #22 Mississippi State, and won the Fiesta Bowl over the red-hot UCF team.  He threw for almost 3000 yard and 23 TD's coming into the program at the end of May that "non-relevant" season ffs.  At OSU he sat behind golden boy JT Barrett and then Haskins who threw for 50 TD's that year. 
Is this the wrong thread? 

Burrow might have been the 4th or 5th QB taken from the SEC if they all could have been drafted last year. I'm not sure he'd have gone ahead of stidham. He definitely earned the chance in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread