What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (2 Viewers)

Evans, Jackson, Sefarian-Jenkins, Bell... Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

ETA: Some butter, lemon juice, and :obc:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the quarterback meeting room after lunch, Bajakian put tape of the plays they’d be installing on the big screen. What’s your formation here, Jameis? The protection? Your route progression? Who’s your hot receiver? Play after play, for 45 minutes they went through it. Winston remembered it all. Koetter has been coaching college and pro football since 1985. He is not a gee-whiz coach. Licht was blown away by Koetter’s impression after that couple of hours with Winston. “I’m going to compare every guy I test like that the rest of my career to Jameis,” Koetter told Licht.

But there was one other thing that Koetter saw as a danger sign—and the Bucs realize is part of the education of a young quarterback. At Florida State, Winston threw 18 interceptions last season, and had at least seven more dropped or missed. Winston has bravado, which every team wants in its quarterback. But you can have too much of it, and Koetter will be sure now to train Winston on the fine line of confidence.

“I’m not afraid of making any throw,” Winston told Koetter that day in March.

"You need to be," replied Koetter.

gump said:
Back in the quarterback meeting room after lunch, Bajakian put tape of the plays they’d be installing on the big screen. What’s your formation here, Jameis? The protection? Your route progression? Who’s your hot receiver? Play after play, for 45 minutes they went through it. Winston remembered it all. Koetter has been coaching college and pro football since 1985. He is not a gee-whiz coach. Licht was blown away by Koetter’s impression after that couple of hours with Winston. “I’m going to compare every guy I test like that the rest of my career to Jameis,” Koetter told Licht.

But there was one other thing that Koetter saw as a danger sign—and the Bucs realize is part of the education of a young quarterback. At Florida State, Winston threw 18 interceptions last season, and had at least seven more dropped or missed. Winston has bravado, which every team wants in its quarterback. But you can have too much of it, and Koetter will be sure now to train Winston on the fine line of confidence.

“I’m not afraid of making any throw,” Winston told Koetter that day in March.

"You need to be," replied Koetter.
Jay Cutler is also not afraid of making any throw.

Scary? Espn can eat ####. Their fake journalism department sucks.
I hate parts of ESPN too. But, is this the time to fight that battle? Do you really want to stick it to the worldwide leader right now? That's your first act as a professional football player?

They'll sick Skip on him.

Questionable judgement. And I'm one who was prepared to say past mistakes are non-indicitive.

(Edit: I will say Lovie is maybe the best coach he could have landed under, though.)

Scary? Espn can eat ####. Their fake journalism department sucks.
I hate parts of ESPN too. But, is this the time to fight that battle? Do you really want to stick it to the worldwide leader right now? That's your first act as a professional football player? They'll sick Skip on him.

Questionable judgement. And I'm one who was prepared to say past mistakes are non-indicitive.

(Edit: I will say Lovie is maybe the best coach he could have landed under, though.)
I see your point but we are rapidly heading to a point where professional athletes no longer need and really shouldn't even use traditional sports media.

Apparently the main reason the "Winston Camp" snubbed ESPN was due to the network airing the Harbaugh Camp footage of Winston explaining CrabLegGate when they specifically said they wouldn't.

Apparently the main reason the "Winston Camp" snubbed ESPN was due to the network airing the Harbaugh Camp footage of Winston explaining CrabLegGate when they specifically said they wouldn't.
Crooked sonsa#####es.
Pretty much. They want to smear the kid every chance they get, but also want their exclusive interview? If someone in the media told me I was commenting off the record and then they printed it or aired my comments anyway I'd tell them to pound sand too.

Rotoworld:

GM Jason Licht conceded Jameis Winston is likely to start Week 1.

You don't take a quarterback No. 1 overall to sit behind Mike Glennon. "It’s pretty difficult to say with a straight face that we’re not going to give Jameis that opportunity to win it right away," Licht said. "We think he’s very advanced in terms of his ability to play and pick up schemes and concepts and learn the playbook relative to most rookies, or any rookie we’ve scouted in recent history." Winston will match up with No. 2 overall pick Marcus Mariota and the Titans on Sept. 13.

Related: Mike Glennon

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com
May 5 - 8:07 AM

Bucs v Titans Week 1... the NFL knew this was going to happen.

Jameis is going to absolutely rape Mariota.
:lmao:
Ouch.

Prediction-wise, I'm guessing the Titans win, but more because I'm assuming Mettenberger will be under center for the Titans, and Winston for the Bucs. TB seems more desperate to get the new regime underway, and I imagine they'll let the underprepared kid take his lumps, while I think the Titans look at more of a mid-season switch.

For Winston's development, I'd much rather see him come out of the gate terribly. He's obviously got the physical tools to get it done, but his mental game is what seems a real danger to derail his career. And his glaring entitlement issues are the biggest part of that.

A few good lessons from the school of hard knocks, plus a surprising willingness to take a step back, listen to his coaches, and play within himself would go a long way with him, I think. Any real amount of success right away, and I'd be skeered stiff if I were a TB fan.

I wouldn't sweat him leading the league in picks by a comfortable margin, if it meant he was taking smart risks and proving to be coachable. :shrug:

Speaking of rape.The civil case that is coming up everyone seems to think will be settled out of court. Wouldn't it be more prudent for Winston to go ahead and go to court instead of settling? After all he is a pillar of the community and a fine up standing young man who is only misunderstood. Should he not want to see this through and prove to everyone what a great human being he actually is?That all the accusations are completely false and that the accuser was only in it for the money?

Ouch.

Prediction-wise, I'm guessing the Titans win, but more because I'm assuming Mettenberger will be under center for the Titans, and Winston for the Bucs. TB seems more desperate to get the new regime underway, and I imagine they'll let the underprepared kid take his lumps, while I think the Titans look at more of a mid-season switch.

For Winston's development, I'd much rather see him come out of the gate terribly. He's obviously got the physical tools to get it done, but his mental game is what seems a real danger to derail his career. And his glaring entitlement issues are the biggest part of that.

A few good lessons from the school of hard knocks, plus a surprising willingness to take a step back, listen to his coaches, and play within himself would go a long way with him, I think. Any real amount of success right away, and I'd be skeered stiff if I were a TB fan.

I wouldn't sweat him leading the league in picks by a comfortable margin, if it meant he was taking smart risks and proving to be coachable. :shrug:
I'm sure Mettenberger will be well prepared after his whopping six starts in the NFL. All losses.

And this of course:

Mettenberger pleaded guilty in Lowndes Country Superior Court Monday to two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery arising from a March 7 incident at a Remerton, Ga., bar.

“The sexual battery counts were the result of Mettenberger grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks of the victim,” Southern Judicial Circuit district attorney J. David Miller said in an e-mail to the Atlanta Journal Constitution Monday afternoon.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston is reportedly "pushing hard" for LSU T/G La'El Collins to join the Buccaneers.

Better than both Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet, Collins would be a huge addition to Tampa Bay's roster. Coach Lovie Smith also has a long track record of taking chances on players with "off-field concerns," although we're not sure there are even any off-field concerns with Collins. Per Yahoo's Rand Getlin, Winston has called Collins "multiple times" in the last 24 hours.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
May 5 - 12:57 PM

Crooked sonsa#####es.
Pretty much. They want to smear the kid every chance they get, but also want their exclusive interview? If someone in the media told me I was commenting off the record and then they printed it or aired my comments anyway I'd tell them to pound sand too.
They smeared him by showing something that actually happened.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston is reportedly "pushing hard" for LSU T/G La'El Collins to join the Buccaneers.

Better than both Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet, Collins would be a huge addition to Tampa Bay's roster. Coach Lovie Smith also has a long track record of taking chances on players with "off-field concerns," although we're not sure there are even any off-field concerns with Collins. Per Yahoo's Rand Getlin, Winston has called Collins "multiple times" in the last 24 hours.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
May 5 - 12:57 PM
Could go from one of the weakest units in the NFL to one of the most talented ones overnight.

Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough

"It's impossible to watch her, it's impossible to watch her parents, it's impossible to look at the events without looking at Winston and looking at the people in Tallahassee who let this young girl down. Who was shoved into the bathroom and her face shoved into the floor and raped and nobody, nobody supported her in Tallahassee because they had a national championship to win," Scarborough said.

"It's impossible to watch her, it's impossible to watch her parents, it's impossible to look at the events without looking at Winston and looking at the people in Tallahassee who let this young girl down. Who was shoved into the bathroom and her face shoved into the floor and raped and nobody, nobody supported her in Tallahassee because they had a national championship to win," Scarborough said.
What film?

eta* The Hunting Ground, I guess. Most Rotten Tomatoes reviews are pointing out that it's "activist filmmaking" within the initial blurbs, never mind deeper into the reviews. I'd be awfully hesitant to take this film as gospel.

What film?

eta* The Hunting Ground, I guess. Most Rotten Tomatoes reviews are pointing out that it's "activist filmmaking" within the initial blurbs, never mind deeper into the reviews. I'd be awfully hesitant to take this film as gospel.
15 minutes of it is Erica Kinsman telling her story.

It has a 92% fresh rating from critics.

Most of the bad reviews are 1/2 star ratings from what appear to be FSU fans.

What film?

Kirby **** is on a crusade and he isn't using much in the form of factual information to support his stance. I'm all for rape awareness, but you got to keep it objective. He doesn't.

Cstu > the Bucs drafted him #1. Your crusade didn't work buddy. Let it go, get some fresh air.
Past & future timeline of CSTU trolling4/30/2014 - the crusade begins

4/30/2015 - Jameis is drafted #1

2016 - crusade continues against Jameis winning ROY

2017 - Jameis shouldn't make the pro bowl

2019 - Jameis shouldn't win MVP

2020 - Jameis shouldn't win SB MVP

2025 - Jameis shouldn't get his own reality show

2030 - Jameis shouldn't be on the NFL Network, Kurt Warner was better! Every analyst is black now!

2035 - Jameis isn't a 1st ballot

2036 - Jameis doesn't belong in the Bucs ring of honor

Bill Simmons has Chuck Klosterman on his pod and they have a pretty good discussion about Winston. Might want to check it out.

Link to (I believe) mp3

Simmons asks Klosterman how he would feel as a Bucs fan, but they dont really get into it from that angle.

edit: theres some stuff about the boxing match first.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/05/05/jameis-winston-marcus-mariota-consumer-marketing-index/26948677/

Winston ranks near Johnny Manziel, Bill O'Reilly and Donald Trump in terms of "appeal'' — which leaves him in the bottom 2% (3,597 out of 3,664 celebrities on the list.) He ranks in the bottom 20% (2,994) in "aspiration" — whether a celebrity has a life to which respondents aspire to — alongside Nick Saban.

In "trust," Winston ranks near Janet Jackson, Vanilla Ice and Mark McGwire, leaving him in the bottom 7% (3,421).

"He's not going to have tons of blue-chip brands banging down his door to use him in a national campaign," Fleming said.

Mariota looks to be in better position to attract those elite brands. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Mariota is in the top 7% (224) in endorsement, near Rory McIlroy, and in the top 3% (95) in aspiration, alongside Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers and Sandra Bullock.

In 25 years Winston could be giving his HoF speech in Canton and CSTU will still be skowering the Internet and posting garbage here to try and convince everyone he was a terrible pick.

Users who are viewing this thread