What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (10 Viewers)

I wonder how much "fun" it will be when he is looking out of his earhole after Watt sacks him.
How much 'fun' was it for Favre to get sacked by Sapp? For Favre, a lot.
I don't get what you are trying to say because I am not familiar with whatever you are referencing.
Favre had one of the great QB-DT rivalries ever partly because Favre would jump up after a sack and hit Sapp playfully in the helmet. Many see similarities in Winstons personality.

I wonder how much "fun" it will be when he is looking out of his earhole after Watt sacks him.
How much 'fun' was it for Favre to get sacked by Sapp? For Favre, a lot.
I don't get what you are trying to say because I am not familiar with whatever you are referencing.
Favre had one of the great QB-DT rivalries ever partly because Favre would jump up after a sack and hit Sapp playfully in the helmet. Many see similarities in Winstons personality.
Gotcha. It will be interesting to see if Winston has Favre's toughness. Pain can make cowards of us all.

Rotoworld:

Bucs TE Luke Stocker says Jameis Winston hasn’t had any issues with the playbook.

"What’s impressive is the speed that Jameis has picked everything up – from the huddle to the cadence to the checks to the audibles," Stocker said. "He’s picked everything up so fast. It’s impressive and encouraging." As a pocket passer, Winston’s ability to learn the offense will play an important role in his rookie-year impact. Winston remains a high-upside QB2.

Source: Pewter Report
Jul 10 - 5:45 PM

mark it down

Winston gets arrested sometime in the next 12 months

he can't help it - its just the way he is
I doubt he gets arrested as much as gets in the news for something full-####### like the crab legs of FHRITP incident.

I was amazed to realize that the Bucs had TWO 1,000 yard WRs last year. If ASJ is NFL-caliber, and shows something in his 2nd year that he didn't really show at all last year, plus those big WRs on the outside, Winston should have a decent QB2 type year.

How many times has been arrested so far?
You think he's a model citizen? How many times was Josh Gordon arrested in college? Blackmon? etc etc etc

Will he clean up ? He could .... I'm betting he doesn't, come people just have a stupid streak and cannot help themselves and they shine at self destruction

I think Winston is one of them

You think he's a model citizen? How many times was Josh Gordon arrested in college? Blackmon? etc etc etc

Will he clean up ? He could .... I'm betting he doesn't, come people just have a stupid streak and cannot help themselves and they shine at self destruction

What exactly do Winston's incidents in college have to do with Gordon and Blackmon being substance abusers? They're addicts, of course they couldn't change.

He's self destructed himself right into a Heisman trophy, a National Championship, the #1 pick overall in the NFL Draft, and millions of dollars.

Winston's previous mistakes are the kind he'll learn from. Gordon's and Blackmon's mistakes are the kind that are serially repeated.

He's self destructed himself right into a Heisman trophy, a National Championship, the #1 pick overall in the NFL Draft, and millions of dollars.

Winston's previous mistakes are the kind he'll learn from. Gordon's and Blackmon's mistakes are the kind that are serially repeated.
I didn't keep close tabs on him in college. Aside from the free crab legs, the alleged rape, and yelling FHRITP on campus what kind of trouble did he get into? Those all seem to fall into the immature teenager category, not lifetime criminal category.

I didn't keep close tabs on him in college. Aside from the free crab legs, the alleged rape, and yelling FHRITP on campus what kind of trouble did he get into? Those all seem to fall into the immature teenager category, not lifetime criminal category.
. Alleged rape is not a typical youthful indiscretion.

. Alleged rape is not a typical youthful indiscretion.
It isn't rape either. It's possible it doesn't even rise to the level of indiscretion.

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/627169578678939648Buccaneers waste no more time, promote Jameis Winston to starting quarterback

In a widely expected move, Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith officially named Jameis Winston the team's starting quarterback Friday.

"Jameis Winston is our starting quarterback. He'll be taking first-team reps tomorrow," Smith announced at a press conference. "It's what we already knew, what we saw in training camp; it's what he has done on and off the field here.

"We brought him here to be our quarterback and we feel that he’s ready to take this next step. We’re not game-ready, we’re not Tennessee-ready at a lot of positions but he needs to move into that role right now. Again, we all feel good about him going there."

The former Heisman Trophy winner was the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft in April. He lost just one game in two years at Florida State and led the Seminoles to a national title in 2013. With that resume and a positive evaluation leading up to training camp, Winston got the starting nod over third-year signal-caller Mike Glennon.

"All this talk about Jameis needing a mentor … Jameis doesn't need a mentor," Smith said. "He's ready to take the reins and go with it."

Tampa Bay went 2-14 last season, which was the first under Smith and general manager Jason Licht, but Smith is confident the rookie will turn things around for a playoff-hungry franchise that hasn't clinched the postseason since 2007.

Good stuff.

Good stuff.
:confused:

You agree that he achieved those things because of rape accusations, theft allegations, etc.? Because that's what "destructing himself right into..." would mean.

Because I'd think it was despite those things.

And those are the farthest things in the world from, "the kinds of mistakes you learn from." Hell, you'd have to be a world class rube to think they were mistakes at all. They were all quite intentional, he publicly reveled in them, and doubled down on his revelry when he got away with them. This strikes you as a recipe for personal growth? Having the world show you again and again that no matter how criminal or antisocial your behavior, you're going to get away with it because Heaven just ####s gold bricks on you your whole life?

Now, I'm not super high on Winston as a prospect, but the big hurdles for him come IF he has any measure of success. It's always been then that he's shown that he believes his celebrity will excuse any illicit or criminal whim that strikes his fancy. And his personal history has shown him that he's right. So I wonder why people all of a sudden believe that those rich rewards he's always reaped for the very red flags some people point out are suddenly going to go away now that the rewards are astronomical. :shrug:

I don't hate the Bucs, so I'm certainly not rooting for the kid to fail on their account. And I'm for damn sure not rooting for him to rape, steal from, publicly humiliate, or otherwise injure somebody off the field. But I'm sure as hell not going to be surprised if and when it happens.

In other words, what an incredibly stupid posting.

Trial in Jameis Winston lawsuit not scheduled until 2017

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Minicamp Getty Images

If the lawsuit brought against Jameis Winston by the woman who says he raped her goes to trial, it won’t be for two more years.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that representatives for Winston and his accuser, Erica Kinsman, agreed to set a deadline of October 14, 2016, for discovery and a jury trial date of April 3, 2017.

Kinsman says Winston raped her in December of 2012 when she was a Florida State student and he was a freshman sitting out his first season as a redshirt. Tallahassee prosecutors declined to charge Winston.

Both sides have said they may engage in settlement talks but that a settlement is unlikely. Klinsman is also suing Florida State, with a trial scheduled for July 18, 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was a redundant and unnecessary post given the above. We get you disagree. Beyond that, try to find other ways to express yourself than through name calling.

I think the point was, his several well documented off field issues haven't prevented him from succeeding at a high level. It is self-evident they haven't. You may not like it and perhaps part of the bile being vented is an unspoken indictment of some of the systemic and institutional causes that make it possible (ie - boosters, campus police, etc.). But that is a separate conversation. One reporter who talked to someone in TB with knowledge of their thinking and decision making put it simply. When he was in immature surroundings, he could act immature at times. They felt when he was surrounded by adult PROFESSIONALS, he would act accordingly. Organizations make mistakes (Leaf, etc.), but they spent an unprecedented amount of effort in his investigation and background check, probably going back to grade school teachers. They came away with the conclusion that he was worth the first overall pick.

I WOULD be shocked if we hear of any more future rape allegations, seafood thefts or high profile instances of yelling #### her in the #####. The picture of crab legs after the draft wasn't very bright, but the team expressed their disappointment and he acknowledged the error.

The point about Blackmon and Gordon's issues presenting a larger obstacle to their respective NFL prospects is again self-evident. MAYBE Winston will do something serious enough to derail his career, but at this point, that is speculative. Gordon and particularly Blackmon already have demonstrably seriously damaged their careers.

Maybe you thought you were being balanced with the end part, but this criticism pretty much exclusively was a catalog of negatives. One thing you haven't mentioned, are his positives. By all accounts, he is driven to succeed when it comes to football. He works hard, is serious about being great. Some scouts that drilled him on the board were stunned at his mature beyond his years and advanced understanding of the game, calling him Peyton Manning-like in that respect (presumably, at a comparable stage of his career). It may have been the Stanford coach who was on the NFL network (or ESPN?) draft coverage, who personally recruited him, and said he never saw so many trophies in his life. I think this is close to verbatim, whether it was football, baseball, basketball, put him in a competitive situation, and he WINS.

QB is notoriously one of, if not the hardest positions to scout, because so much depends on traits and attributes that aren't physical and obvious measurables (40 times, VJ, BP, etc.), but mental and intangible. Football intelligence, the physical courage and toughness to stare down the gun barrel and ignore the rush, the ability to process information quickly, sense the rush when you are about to be sacked, calmness and composure in the heat of battle, confidence and leadership to rally the troops and inspire fourth quarter comebacks, etc, etc. etc. But it is hard to overstate the importance of a QB that is fiercely competitive, wants to win and be great, and is willing to do what it takes to achieve those goals. IMO, Winston is that kind of QB, and football-wise, is wired right and has the right stuff for high level success.

He did have a lot of INTs in 2014, but so did Matt Ryan in his final year at BC, and he turned out OK. I'll be surprised if he isn't in the neighborhood of one of the half dozen best QBs in the league at some point in his career, with a few years of development. Assuming they add talent and build the team around him, I'll also be surprised if they aren't in the playoffs in several years. I think he is the best prospect at the position since Luck (Wilson is great, but he wasn't as good a prospect at the time).

@RCummingsTBO: The big crowd here seems to be bringing out the best in QB Jameis Winston. He's is on fire today. Very sharp.

This kind of post doesn't contribute towards the discussion the boards are here for. If you've got a point worth sharing, you can make it without the insults.

I've heard from various people on football podcasts that the crab legs thing was overblown anyway. He had a friend working there that was hooking him up. His buddy and this subsequently, Jameis were caught. He wasn't just going to the store and stealing things. I imagine most of us have had a friend that worked somewhere and hooked us up without us really considering it shoplifting. I know in high school, my friend worked at Baskin Robbins and gave out lots of free ice cream.

I hope the fans down here give him a chance. They're quick to jump on a guy in this town. I imagine he'll get a little more slack than previous QB's because of his draft pick status, but there are a ton of people looking for any reason to hate him. If he starts slowly he may not be able to dig himself out.

@NFLosophy: Jameis is going to be so good.

@NFLosophy: Notes from Bucs camp: Jameis commands the offense. He's accurate. Was smart with the football and fit it into tight windows.
And then they brought some pressure today ....3 tasty INTs. Everyone looks good when there's no pass rush.

Here is a good bet, who is arrested first Winston or Maziel? I am taking Maziel on this one.

@NFLosophy: Notes from Bucs camp: Jameis commands the offense. He's accurate. Was smart with the football and fit it into tight windows.
And then they brought some pressure today ....3 tasty INTs. Everyone looks good when there's no pass rush.
It's his 4th day of camp. He'll have good and bad days.

Capella said:
lod01 said:

Mariota hasn't had any bad days.

Capella said:
lod01 said:

Mariota hasn't had any bad days.
Well, it's settled then.

Users who are viewing this thread