What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (6 Viewers)

Seems like Winston has a bright NFL future ahead of him, but I'm a bit more cautious on his fantasy prospects.

Have to figure that the defensive-minded Lovie will focus on improving the defensive side of the ball and focus on a ball control type offense.
He just threw for almost 4100 yards as a rookie. You think Lovie is going to get more conservative as Jameis gets better? :confused:
Maybe not conservative, but not efficient either. I have serious doubts Lovie knows how to create an offensive powerhouse, even with all the weapons we have in place.
They finished top-5 in offense this year. :confused:
20th in points per game.
Sure but they had a rookie QB and a bunch of rookies at wideout. Do you think Lovie got into the red zone and then decided he just wanted a field goal or no points?

Seems like Winston has a bright NFL future ahead of him, but I'm a bit more cautious on his fantasy prospects.

Have to figure that the defensive-minded Lovie will focus on improving the defensive side of the ball and focus on a ball control type offense.
He just threw for almost 4100 yards as a rookie. You think Lovie is going to get more conservative as Jameis gets better? :confused:
Maybe not conservative, but not efficient either. I have serious doubts Lovie knows how to create an offensive powerhouse, even with all the weapons we have in place.
They finished top-5 in offense this year. :confused:
20th in points per game.
Sure but they had a rookie QB and a bunch of rookies at wideout. Do you think Lovie got into the red zone and then decided he just wanted a field goal or no points?
No I'm just saying 'top 5 offense' is a bit disingenuous. I do believe Winston has star written all over him. But I lived in Chicago during the Lovie years and he's not an offensive minded HC.

I don't think he is either but they clearly moved the ball this year. Not scoring inside the red zone isn't Lovie's fault, as much as I can't stand him.

Does he live in Tampa full-time now, or is he going somewhere for the off season?
I'm not sure if be is a permanent resident, but I think he lives a little west of the airport. Someone got a pic with him shopping at the Town & Country Publix, so he probably lives in one of those waterfront neighborhoods. I doubt he lives in Westchase, and I'm certain he doesn't love in Town & Compton.

Does he live in Tampa full-time now, or is he going somewhere for the off season?
I'm not sure if be is a permanent resident, but I think he lives a little west of the airport. Someone got a pic with him shopping at the Town & Country Publix, so he probably lives in one of those waterfront neighborhoods. I doubt he lives in Westchase, and I'm certain he doesn't love in Town & Compton.
In before the jokes.

In before the jokes.
Beat me to it...

I'm pretty sure he was actually buying crab legs. He was still in his suit he wore in the post game presser.

Well he clearly wins ahead of Winston. Take a look at the stats.

Winston

QBR 58.6

Comp % 58.3%

Yrds game 252

Yards per attempt 7.56

Pass TD per game 1.38

INT per game .94

Mariota

QBR 61.0

Comp % 62.2%

Yrds game 235

Yards per attempt 7.62

Pass TD per game 1.58

INT per game .83

Winston clearly had more weapons around him with Doug Martin, Mike Evans, and Vincent Jackson. Mariota is throwing to guys like Harry Douglass.

I will say that Winston did much better than I thought he would this year. I am still not too optimistic on his future though.

Griffin possibly out of the league 3 years after winning ROY = Jameis definitely out of the league 3 years after winning ROY. It's science.
I love that this is what the reasoning has come down to for some of these goons. yea well OTHER rookie of the year winners who have almost nothing in common with Winston went on to suck!!!1

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin possibly out of the league 3 years after winning ROY = Jameis definitely out of the league 3 years after winning ROY. It's science.
I love that this is what the reasoning has come down to for some of these goons. yea well OTHER rookie of the year winners who have almost nothing in common with Winston went on to suck!!!1
You need to check your sarcasm meter. I think it is broken. Or you just have ignored all his other responses.

You need to check your sarcasm meter. I think it is broken. Or you just have ignored all his other responses.
With Cstu? I don't think it's broken at all.

Wasn't Carnell "Cadillac" Williams the rookie of the year? Bad omen.

"We really felt that he was a great, great running back, to be honest with you," Gruden said. "[Auburn coach] Tommy Tuberville felt the same way. Everybody I talked to in Alabama said: 'This is the greatest running back in the history of high school football in Alabama.' Better than Bo Jackson, better than most of these guys have ever seen. I'm not saying he's better than Bo. But everybody I talked to said he's a hell of a back. 'Get him on your team,
somehow, some way.'
Could have had Aaron Rodgers. Gruden's drafts set this franchise back 10 years.

Grahamburn said:

"We really felt that he was a great, great running back, to be honest with you," Gruden said. "[Auburn coach] Tommy Tuberville felt the same way. Everybody I talked to in Alabama said: 'This is the greatest running back in the history of high school football in Alabama.' Better than Bo Jackson, better than most of these guys have ever seen. I'm not saying he's better than Bo. But everybody I talked to said he's a hell of a back. 'Get him on your team,

somehow, some way.'
I don't really believe in omens or hysteria. Caddy had a great rookie year. So did Jameis. They have nothing in common other than that.

Via Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times, Florida State has settled a lawsuit brought by Kinsman under Title IX, a federal law that requires public universities to investigate allegations of sexual assault. Florida State has announced that $250,000 will go to Kinsman and that $700,000 will go to her lawyers.

The problem for Winston is that news of the settlement not only creates the impression that Florida State did something wrong, but that Winston did, too. And this could make Winston even more determined to do whatever he has to do to win the case that Kinsman has brought against him.

somehow, some way.'
I don't really believe in omens or hysteria. Caddy had a great rookie year. So did Jameis. They have nothing in common other than that.
I wasn't really serious about the omen part.

Via Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times, Florida State has settled a lawsuit brought by Kinsman under Title IX, a federal law that requires public universities to investigate allegations of sexual assault. Florida State has announced that $250,000 will go to Kinsman and that $700,000 will go to her lawyers.

The problem for Winston is that news of the settlement not only creates the impression that Florida State did something wrong, but that Winston did, too. And this could make Winston even more determined to do whatever he has to do to win the case that Kinsman has brought against him.
There really is something wrong with the legal system when a settlement pays lawyers 3/4 of the settlement money. Of course without the lawyers, she would not have gotten anything. So what do I know.

dhockster said:
cstu said:

There really is something wrong with the legal system when a settlement pays lawyers 3/4 of the settlement money. Of course without the lawyers, she would not have gotten anything. So what do I know.
That is amazing.

Now a pro bowler
Excellent for a rook
I don't say this to bash Winston (because he had a great rookies season) but Pro Bowl selections have become a joke with most players declining to go. Teddy Bridgewater (who I also like long term) had a pretty mediocre season and he's going as well.
I get it, but he's still a pro bowler :shrug: He was the 11th QB taken which all things considered is pretty damn good.

Now a pro bowler
Excellent for a rook
I don't say this to bash Winston (because he had a great rookies season) but Pro Bowl selections have become a joke with most players declining to go. Teddy Bridgewater (who I also like long term) had a pretty mediocre season and he's going as well.
I think we're all being a bit facetious about this "selection."

However, it's still a nice honor, and when you start to look at the NFL QB landscape for the next few years Winston's name is near the top of the list.

Now a pro bowler
Excellent for a rook
I get it, but he's still a pro bowler :shrug: He was the 11th QB taken which all things considered is pretty damn good.
Sure. Not trying to take anything away from him.

This guy has college head coaches quitting their jobs for the chance to hitch their wagon to him. He already got Dirk Koetter a head coaching job in 1 year!

He'll be the worst pro bowl QB in history.
Let's say that is true, and he throws something like four picks in the Pro Bowl while completing only one pass.

Would anyone even notice, much less care enough to remember in three or four years?

Who has the record for strikeouts in an All Star game? I don't think even the statheads who follow baseball bother with that sort of metric.

Users who are viewing this thread