What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (11 Viewers)

Best stash backup QB in dynasty right now 
And yet in my DYNASTY leagues I can't get ANYTHING for him in leagues I need to pair down total players. Unbelievable to me since he could easily be a top 5 QB running that offense in 2021 IMO 

And yet in my DYNASTY leagues I can't get ANYTHING for him in leagues I need to pair down total players. Unbelievable to me since he could easily be a top 5 QB running that offense in 2021 IMO 
Why would you expect anyone to pay value for a backup QB? I have him in one league and wouldn't drop him but "wasting" that roster space is tough. 

Why would you expect anyone to pay value for a backup QB? I have him in one league and wouldn't drop him but "wasting" that roster space is tough. 
Also think they are serious about the Taysom Hill possibility. Just hard to roster a ton of guys with no current year value and no taxi squad eligibility (league and roster size dependent, of course)

Also think they are serious about the Taysom Hill possibility. Just hard to roster a ton of guys with no current year value and no taxi squad eligibility (league and roster size dependent, of course)
:goodposting:

They probably didn't give Hill all that money to run a couple wildcat plays every week.

Explain please 
#5 QB last year. In a potent offense this year in qb school. The list of guys to pass for 5000 yards is very small and very impressive. He has the tools, the situation if he can be retained in NO, and he can finally see. 

Is there another backup QB who has finished in the top 5, or even 10, and has potential to take over for one of the best offenses in the league? I’m unaware of any. 

I went to bed at halftime, but apparently he's still eating W's. 
It would be great if the NFL covid fined the saints and mentioned this.  They were also dancing around without mask in the locker room after.  I understand Jameis excitement about Drew Brees win, but this was a little petty.  Let's see what happens the next time he's behind center for more than a few downs.

Jameis Winston completed 6-of-10 passes for 63 yards in the Saints' Week 10 win over the 49ers. 

Winston came in for Brees, who was struggling through a rib injury sustained in the first half. He was uneven at best, missing two open throws, including one to Michael Thomas. Rotating with Taysom Hill, Winston mostly nursed a healthy Saints second half lead while the New Orleans defense suffocated Nick Mullens and the Niners. Depending on the severity of Brees' injury, Winston could draw a Week 11 start in a prime matchup against Atlanta. He should be picked up in all superflex leagues, posthaste. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Drew Brees (ribs) could "miss some time" after suffering a rib injury in the Saints' Week 10 win over the 49ers. 

Brees suffered a rib contusion on a hard hit in the first half against the Niners, and will undergo an MRI Monday to test for cartilage damage. He told head coach Sean Payton he wouldn't be able to play in the second half, and Jameis Winston took over, delivering an uneven performance. Winston becomes an intriguing streaming QB option this week against a burnable Falcons secondary. The ever-present Taysom Hill and his ever-expanding offensive package could cap Winston's touchdown ceiling while Brees recovers from the rib injury. 

RELATED: 

Jameis Winston

, Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 16, 2020, 9:55 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Drew Brees is deaiing with multiple rib fractures on both sides of his chest and a collapsed lung on the right side.

The Fox broadcast did show Brees wearing a flak jacket under his shirt pre-game, which suggests he was dealing with a cracked rib even before he suited up against the 49ers. Moving the veteran to injured reserve reportedly isn't being discussed despite his litany of injuries, meaning Brees will 'only' miss 2-3 games tops. Jameis Winston was shaky in mop-up duty, taking two sacks and throwing a near-interception on 14 dropbacks Sunday, but is still gifted soft matchups against the Falcons (twice) and Broncos across New Orleans' next three games. Taysom Hill, eligible as a tight end in ESPN leagues, is also a serviceable SuperFlex pickup for that stretch.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 16, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

JAMEIS WINSTON QB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Saints coach Sean Payton declined to announce a starting quarterback for Week 11 against the Falcons.

Payton opened his Monday availability stating he wouldn't discuss an update on Drew Brees (ribs, week-to-week) or announce a starting quarterback for Week 11. Jameis Winston was thrown under center in the second half on Sunday, taking two sacks and gifting a dropped interception to S Jimmie Ward on 14 dropbacks, but is clearly the stronger option over Taysom Hill until Brees heals. Expect both to be used across the next 2-3 games with Winston leading in pass attempts and Hill coming off the bench inside the red zone for a variation of plays.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Nov 16, 2020, 3:10 PM ET

No Ws will be eaten this week. Holding a clipboard for Taysom Hill. Talk about rock bottom for his career.
Not really. Rock bottom would be struggling to retain a position at all. I don't get why everyone in the cognoscenti is so down on Taysom Hill. Might he be a massive failure? Sure, but Payton deserves some rope from which to hang himself. Let's give it to him and he may actually come out with his feet on the ground. Guy knows a bit about football and Hill is a physical specimen. 

Who am I to question Payton, but this seems like a really bad idea. Winston has to be the better QB. So why not start him, lean on Kamara and Murray and maybe increase Hill's snap count? 

Rotoworld:

JAMEIS WINSTON QB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

According to ESPN's Dianna Russini, Jameis Winston "will not be part of any offensive packages" Week 11 against the Falcons.

Despite replacing Drew Brees following his injury last week, Winston is getting sent to the bench in favor of Taysom Hill against Atlanta. It will be Hill under center, apparently for every snap, despite completing just 11 career passes and showing next to nothing as a thrower of the football at the NFL level. Coach Sean Payton is committed to the bit, however, and is ready to see this thing through. Thanks to his rushing ability, Hill immediately becomes an intriguing fantasy streamer. You don't have to actually be good at football to be good in fantasy. Winston might get a chance in Week 12 if Hill totally bombs his audition.

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 11:08 AM ET

Seemed like a weird signing to me.  Winston is who he is......he's a turnover machine with a big arm.
He also threw 51 TD passes and is y'know, a QB. There has to be more to this that we don't know because there's no reason to not give Winston any offensive work.

He also threw 51 TD passes and is y'know, a QB. There has to be more to this that we don't know because there's no reason to not give Winston any offensive work.
Huh?  Did you watch the last game?  He's getting benched because he's just not very good......sure he makes some good throws, but he makes just as many, if not more head scratchers.  I think the Saints wanted to kick the tires and see if he could change.....well, he hasn't, and they don't want to leave their fate in the hands of a guy who consistently makes bad QBing decisions.

Huh?  Did you watch the last game?  He's getting benched because he's just not very good......sure he makes some good throws, but he makes just as many, if not more head scratchers.  I think the Saints wanted to kick the tires and see if he could change.....well, he hasn't, and they don't want to leave their fate in the hands of a guy who consistently makes bad QBing decisions.
Hill's last TD pass was 2016. This situation came up last year and Bridgewater was the QB. Payton needs to evaluate Winston as much as feed his mancrush Hill, but it makes no sense to make the decision that Jameis will play no offensive snaps.

Hill's last TD pass was 2016. This situation came up last year and Bridgewater was the QB. Payton needs to evaluate Winston as much as feed his mancrush Hill, but it makes no sense to make the decision that Jameis will play no offensive snaps.
What's there to evaluate?  We saw a bad performance from Winston last week, and I'm assuming he hasn't looked good in practice.  So here we are.

Jameis as heir apparent to Brees, who is getting up in age. Just like Teddy B (who Saints couldn't afford since Brees wasn't ready to hang it up) had to be evaluated, same for Jameis. One iffy relief outing isn't an evaluation. You assume Jameis had bad practices even though they split reps (and the few vids I saw showed both looked fine). I can assume Payton wanted to get his project QB out there.

Mind Games. Payton being Payton. Hill may "start' but Winston will get the majority of snaps at QB. :2cents:
Mind games against who? Winston? He didn’t get any snaps with the first team. If you do that to play mind games with your opponent, it seems incredibly stupid. 

The notion that Sean Payton of all people hasn't yet seen enough to know what kind of QB Winston is is pretty comical.  The guy's been throwing footballs to Saints DBs for 5 seasons.

Bridgewater was the QB last year because he was the better option.  This year, Hill is the better option.  Bridgewater > Hill > Winston.  Not complicated.

Mind games against who? Winston? He didn’t get any snaps with the first team. If you do that to play mind games with your opponent, it seems incredibly stupid. 
ATL, they now have to spend precious practice time preparing for both. I'll check back in on Monday and take my lumps if need be. It just seems like a very Payton-esque thing to do :shrug:

ATL, they now have to spend precious practice time preparing for both. I'll check back in on Monday and take my lumps if need be. It just seems like a very Payton-esque thing to do :shrug:
I understand the theory, but not letting your "real" starting QB take reps seems to be a lot more of a disadvantage than any advantage you hope to gain. 

Saints head coach Sean Payton won't name a starting quarterback for Week 11 against the Falcons. 

“I haven’t announced that either one of them are starting," Payton said when asked whether Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston would start in placed of Drew Brees (ribs, lung) this week. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Friday that Hill would start Week 11 against Atlanta. That doesn't mean Winston won't be involved in some way against the Falcons. If he gets the nod at QB, Hill would be a top-end tight end option on fantasy sites that give him tight end eligibility, while said eligibility sparks a civil war on fantasy football Twitter. 

- James Palmer
See it's galaxy brain #### like this made me wonder if Mark Ingram ever wanted to go UFC on him.

ESPN - Sources: Sean Payton struggled with choosing Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston as New Orleans Saints' starting QB

New Orleans coach Sean Payton struggled with choosing the Saints' starting quarterback for Sunday's game before ultimately deciding to go with Taysom Hill, but multiple players and people within the organization thought Jameis Winston should have been the starter against the Atlanta Falcons, sources told ESPN.

Payton knew that whichever quarterback he decided on -- Hill or Winston -- would lead to a specific and different type of game plan. The longtime coach went with the quarterback whom the Saints assured last spring -- as he was signing his two-year extension -- that he would get a chance to start if Drew Brees ever got hurt.

The Saints view this as a chance to get an evaluation of Hill at quarterback now and for the future, with Brees still likely to retire after this season, according to sources.

Going with Hill on Sunday does not preclude Winston from taking over for Brees as the Saints' quarterback of the future. Winston has impressed Saints coaches and players and remains a potential part of New Orleans' long-term plans.

There continues to be a widespread expectation that this will be Brees' final season, according to sources around the league. Hill's two-year, $21 million contract pays him as if he will be the starting quarterback next season, and Winston is on a one-year deal.

Many people close to the situation are operating as if the 2020 season will be Brees' last, although the Saints also thought 2019 would be the future Hall of Famer's final season. After the Pro Bowl ended last January, Brees and the Saints' coaches shared an emotional moment, thinking that was the end before Brees decided to return for the 2020 season.

There is no concrete timetable on how long Brees will be sidelined while recovering from fractured ribs and a collapsed lung, but the phrase "four to five weeks" came up a few times last week from various sources. Brees was placed on injured reserve Friday, meaning he will miss at least three games -- beginning with Sunday's contest against Atlanta.

Brees told ESPN's Ed Werder on Sunday that doctors have been encouraged by his progress, specifically improvement in lung function and the continued dissipation of the pneumothorax suffered in the first half of last Sunday's victory over the San Francisco 49ers. The 13-time Pro Bowler told Werder he is hopeful that he will be ready to play as soon as he is eligible in Week 14.

Users who are viewing this thread