What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (1 Viewer)

I am starting to wonder how much experience some people in here have with the NFL. I don't care how many YPC a rookie back puts up. It is entirely irrelevant. If there is a veteran back who is moving the chains (even at a lower YPC), keeping his assignments in the passing game (particularly blitz pickup) and keeping the football secure then, in all but the rarest of circumstances, that veteran will keep the job.

If we were talking about a rookie Adrian Peterson and an incumbent Chester Taylor then I would worry about the veteran's job security, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about Crowell and Tate and in this case the veteran will win out. That's the way the NFL works. Now if Tate starts ######## the bed for several weeks in a row, fumbling, missing blocks and the like then maybe the door will open for the rookie, but if he keeps doing what he is doing then expect him to hold onto his job.

Injury is what will allow Crowell to get into the starting lineup this year and not much else.

Sorry.

I am starting to wonder how much experience some people in here have with the NFL. I don't care how many YPC a rookie back puts up. It is entirely irrelevant. If there is a veteran back who is moving the chains (even at a lower YPC), keeping his assignments in the passing game (particularly blitz pickup) and keeping the football secure then, in all but the rarest of circumstances, that veteran will keep the job.

If we were talking about a rookie Adrian Peterson and an incumbent Chester Taylor then I would worry about the veteran's job security, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about Crowell and Tate and in this case the veteran will win out. That's the way the NFL works. Now if Tate starts ######## the bed for several weeks in a row, fumbling, missing blocks and the like then maybe the door will open for the rookie, but if he keeps doing what he is doing then expect him to hold onto his job.

Injury is what will allow Crowell to get into the starting lineup this year and not much else.

Sorry.
Luckily for Crowell owners Tate is constantly injured

Sorry.
so is foster and murray and bradshaw, but we dont see everyone freaking out over alfred blue (1%), joseph randle (.5%) or richardson (on waivers in both my leagues) who all three would have 20+ carries a game if their #1 RB got injured. crowell would be locked in a 10 carry timeshare if tate went down, we already saw crowell play with tate out and it doesnt warrant all the hype crowell is currently getting. if youre praying for injuries to make your bench relevant then there are way better options of guys that would have the job all to themselves in much weaker divisions, and if youre actually flexing crowell and hoping for his 5-10 point ceiling then there are better options to try and hit homeruns with.

Locked in a 10 carry timeshare w a guy who was a healthy scratch last week?

Jesus.

Watch a Browns game, gents.

Sorry.
If there were an elite QB to protect or an elite RB already carrying the load, I'd agree. This isn't the case.

Regardless, it's not worth arguing over since Tate will miss more time sooner than later.

did west die or something?.
Worse... healthy scratch
Saw a blurb that indicated Crowell was showing better in pass pro than West.

If you were banking on West, that's got to hurt. I don't know that West's receiving skills are good enough to force a role if Crowell is superior running and blocking. I have a feeling Cleveland would rather opt for the better blocker on passing downs and give up a bit on the receiving skills than vice versa.

Jesus.

he would, there is no reason to have 4 RBs active on gameday when 2 of them dont play special teams. west and tate are redundant, if tate gets injured again then west will be right back at it splitting carries with crowell.

I never said Crowell was the starter. I said he's got talent but I acknowledge that Tate is the starter and will be leaned on probably 2/1 over Crowell. What mistake did I make though? I guess I didn't acknowledge that Tate got hurt, is that what you mean? But Foster was leading the competition when the injury happened and Tate has been hurt a lot in his career. That is one of the reasons to like Crowell more than say James Starks or Kadeem Carey.
I never said you said Crowell was the starter. What you said is that Tate got beaten out by an UDFA (Foster) when the reality is he got hurt before the competition was settled. Now it feels like you are try to fall back on the notion that Foster was "leading the competition" and not what you actually said.

Tate didn't simply lose out to an UDFA he was injured while, as it turns out, competing against one of the best RBs of the last five years. That's a lot different and doesn't feel like the precedent you tried to make it out to be.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]You never seemed like the type to have a problem admitting admitting when you are wrong.[/SIZE]
When I'm wrong I don't have a problem admitting it. I'm here to learn and try to be flexible in my thinking. Tate was even with Foster for about 2 weeks total. After that, he was the clear backup. He's now the clear starter but this is the first time in his career that he's been a clear starter and he's already missed time. And when he missed that time, another UDFA has made his presence known. There is a pattern there, it's not apples to apples but still. You have to play if you want to keep your job. Especially in the NFL. Especially at RB. Especially when you have a talented backup.

Now maybe he's like Fred Taylor and becomes and iron man for the next two seasons but I doubt it. He's been hurt every year he's been in the league. If he goes down again, it might be just the opportunity Crowell needs to claim the job. But I agree, as long as Tate is playing well, I'd be shocked if he lost the job outright this year. We'll see but I think it's wise to hold onto Crowell for the fantasy playoffs.
Tate's injury history is absolutely a concern and you would have to call it a pattern, but the UDFA thing isn't even a coincidence because Tate still hasn't lost out to one ever in his career (he broke his ankle on his second carry of the first preseason game although to be fair Foster got the start in that game and he turned out to be a pretty okay RB).

I love Crowell if he is the starter in Cle, actually I really like any back that is starting in Cle because they have a great line and a mentality to feed the lead back, but unless/until Tate gets hurt again the most you can hope for from Crowell is 15 touches/game on a very good day but closer to 8 on a typical day.
Dude, Tate lost out to an UDFA every season he was in Houston other than his rookie season. Because every offseason he had the chance to prove he deserved to play over Foster, who was an UDFA, and never could. It's like you are implying that Foster was enshrined in Canton after his second season and Tate never had a chance to earn the job.

Does that mean much? Not really, because Foster wasn't your average UDFA, obviously. That is unless one tries to argue that a 2nd round talent can't give way to an UDFA on the depth chart.

I don't think people are saying that an UDFA is somehow Ben Tate's kryptonite. What they are saying is that Tate isn't all world and just because Cleveland paid Tate to come over from Houston and just because Crowell wasn't paid until after the drafting was done this spring, those things don't mean anything once the season starts and Cleveland wants to get wins.

Cleveland is paying the same game checks each week. And even if you bring performance escalators into the mix, they will be happy to pay them if it results in wins. So if Crowell starts bringing more to the table than Tate, Crowell will earn the starts. As for trying to divine whether or not he will do so, you just need to focus on what they are doing on the field. Trying to defend one's position with points about who got paid what or got acquired how mean nothing right now because both these guys are on the field and being evaluated and ranked by that staff based on nothing more than what they are doing on the field.

What we know is that where you were drafted means about as much as your college of field issues do once the pads go on and you start producing against NFL competition.
Or you can look at it as the fact that after his rookie year Tate lost out to the most productive RB in the NFL, and probably the best RB not named Adrian Peterson, every single year he wasn't in Houston. At a certain point draft position means #### all. That point occurred right around the time that Foster put up 1,800+ yards and 18 TDs. After that everyone else was playing for second place because you simply could not bench or demote Foster at that point. No way, no how.
And yet Foster was still an UDFA even though he was putting up those numbers.

Which simply confirms my point about the irrelevance of how Tate and Crowell arrived in Cleveland. It's meaningless. All that matters moving forward is what is happening on the field right now.

So why are you posting in response? Are you actually disagreeing with what I am posting?

The important question is what will happen going forward. I agree that Tate is playing well enough to keep the starting job today relative to Crowell. But it isn't necessarily a static situation. Being a rookie, Crowell in week 10 will likely be a better all around player than is Crowell in week 7. But how much? Will he be better enough in week 10 to have closed the gap some on Tate and earn more touches? Possibly. Will he have improved enough by week 13 to take over? Possibly, but unlikely.

So for the same price I'd acquire Tate over Crowell every time. But they aren't the same price. At some point the chance that Crowell does take over or at least grabs a large enough share to be relevant relative to the cheaper price could make Crowe more attractive, particularly given Tate's injury history.

So while I think it's not likely that Crowell takes over for a healthy Tate, I can't say it's impossible because Tate has looked good, but not elite, and I think Crowell will improve in the other areas as the season rolls on. So it's a question of how much better can Crowell get.

If you think I am off base, simply quote the point on which I am wrong.

Sorry.
I don't think many people are really arguing against that. You're not really breaking any new ground here.

Jesus.

he would, there is no reason to have 4 RBs active on gameday when 2 of them dont play special teams. west and tate are redundant, if tate gets injured again then west will be right back at it splitting carries with crowell.
That was the theory with CJ Anderson also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Worse... healthy scratch
Saw a blurb that indicated Crowell was showing better in pass pro than West.If you were banking on West, that's got to hurt. I don't know that West's receiving skills are good enough to force a role if Crowell is superior running and blocking. I have a feeling Cleveland would rather opt for the better blocker on passing downs and give up a bit on the receiving skills than vice versa.
I read West was told that's why he was a healthy scratch, because of his pass blocking. It sounds like an easier thing to tell a player than "You're less talented than Crowell and we don't need you in today's game." West's just redundant right now unless they get pissed off at Crowell for the fumbles, which I haven't read any signs of.

Worse... healthy scratch
Saw a blurb that indicated Crowell was showing better in pass pro than West.If you were banking on West, that's got to hurt. I don't know that West's receiving skills are good enough to force a role if Crowell is superior running and blocking. I have a feeling Cleveland would rather opt for the better blocker on passing downs and give up a bit on the receiving skills than vice versa.
I read West was told that's why he was a healthy scratch, because of his pass blocking. It sounds like an easier thing to tell a player than "You're less talented than Crowell and we don't need you in today's game." West's just redundant right now unless they get pissed off at Crowell for the fumbles, which I haven't read any signs of.
I think West has played well enough that they wouldn't have come to such a cut-and-dried conclusion already. What I suspect, and this is totally me guessing, is that West maybe doesn't enjoy giving touches to a guy that was undrafted and has had a bad attitude about his usage lately that has maybe affected his performance or attitude in practices, etc.

As a Crowell owner I would love for what you posted to be the case, but I am a bit more cautious than that. I think Crowell is a superior runner than West and I am encouraged that he seems to be getting credit recently for being a better blocker, but West is a rookie as well and he'll have some growth spurts as well. I'd like to have all three guys in a deep bench league.

Worse... healthy scratch
I think West has played well enough that they wouldn't have come to such a cut-and-dried conclusion already. What I suspect, and this is totally me guessing, is that West maybe doesn't enjoy giving touches to a guy that was undrafted and has had a bad attitude about his usage lately that has maybe affected his performance or attitude in practices, etc.

As a Crowell owner I would love for what you posted to be the case, but I am a bit more cautious than that. I think Crowell is a superior runner than West and I am encouraged that he seems to be getting credit recently for being a better blocker, but West is a rookie as well and he'll have some growth spurts as well. I'd like to have all three guys in a deep bench league.
Isn't making West a healthy scratch last week a pretty cut and dry conclusion? I get your point, but I think the real football vs. fantasy football distinction makes West still important to the Browns but not important to fantasy.

On a real football level they were definitely sending West a message due to his attitude (not pass blocking well, not going all in on play fakes) just like you said. They want him to turn crap around so they have three viable RBs if/when one of them goes down (I'm looking at you Tate.)

On a fantasy football level West is a 3rd string RB behind a breakout candidate.

For now I think Crowell and West split Tate's leftovers, but one day when all of our dreams come true and Tate goes down (sorry Ben Tate, nothing personal) what happened at the beginning of the season will not happen again. No evenish split, Crowell will be top dog. West knows this, that's why he had a bad attitude to begin with.

So unless you hold bench spots for sleeper backup RBs, what's the point holding West right now?

Did you see this?

Cleveland is the 2nd most likely team to run in the red zone and they have a pretty decent number of RZ opportunities.

Here's what you do: trade for Tate, hold Crowell. Own the position.

I follow Isaiah Crowell on twitter and the day after the Steeler game Ben Tate congratulated him on his good game.

Crowell responded thanks for leading the way and that they will be the leading RB duo in the league.

Sometime yesterday he deleted that tweet..but the fact that he referred to himself and Tate as a duo was very interesting to me.

I follow Isaiah Crowell on twitter and the day after the Steeler game Ben Tate congratulated him on his good game.

Crowell responded thanks for leading the way and that they will be the leading RB duo in the league.

Sometime yesterday he deleted that tweet..but the fact that he referred to himself and Tate as a duo was very interesting to me.
Why is it interesting? How else would he refer to himself and Tate?

"Thanks bro. You best not get too comfy with my rock tho."

It's interesting because he used duo and not trio to include West

Anyone thinking about starting Crowell this week? Matchup is tempting and the thought of him potentially getting 11-15 touches is enticing.

jtp1982 said:
groin pains said:
Anyone thinking about starting Crowell this week? Matchup is tempting and the thought of him potentially getting 11-15 touches is enticing.
West mill be back in the mix. That could hurt his # of carries.
CBS just reported Pettine says West may or may not be active depending on how he practices. I think that's still just them trying top keep West motivated after dropping a spot in the depth chart, but if West is inactive Sunday I'll probably play Crowell @ flex.

groin pains said:
If West is inactive Ill probably start him over Quick at FLEX. If Benjamin is out I am flexing him regardless.

Rimez said:
need2know said:

Sorry.
so is foster and murray and bradshaw, but we dont see everyone freaking out over alfred blue (1%), joseph randle (.5%) or richardson (on waivers in both my leagues) who all three would have 20+ carries a game if their #1 RB got injured. crowell would be locked in a 10 carry timeshare if tate went down, we already saw crowell play with tate out and it doesnt warrant all the hype crowell is currently getting. if youre praying for injuries to make your bench relevant then there are way better options of guys that would have the job all to themselves in much weaker divisions, and if youre actually flexing crowell and hoping for his 5-10 point ceiling then there are better options to try and hit homeruns with.
Randle would not have 20+ carries if Murray got injured.

And Crowell is running better than Randle as well as getting more carries right now than Randle is.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Rimez said:
Soulfly3 said:

Jesus.

That was the theory with CJ Anderson also?
No.

Different situation.

Some people's speculative possibility was that Anderson was a player from the same mold as Ball and Hillman was the 3rd down back, thus with Ball out maybe Anderson would take over early down type work from Ball while Hillman would stay as the 3rd down back.

But I don't see anybody saying Crowell is the small non-rugged 3rd down back behind a larger Tate, with West taking over straight for Tate when Tate gets injured, and the smaller Crowell staying in the 3rd down back roll. They aren't saying that because that would be a pretty stupid thing to say.

groin pains said:
If west is inactive I will start him over Odell, Royal, and Donnel in my flex, 0.5 ppr. I also own Tate, so I'm hoping for another big day on the ground.

I'm glad it's an early game.

Due to injuries I'm gonna go with Tate AND Crow. Should be interesting given the matchup.

Worse... healthy scratch

Isn't making West a healthy scratch last week a pretty cut and dry conclusion? I get your point, but I think the real football vs. fantasy football distinction makes West still important to the Browns but not important to fantasy.

On a real football level they were definitely sending West a message due to his attitude (not pass blocking well, not going all in on play fakes) just like you said. They want him to turn crap around so they have three viable RBs if/when one of them goes down (I'm looking at you Tate.)

On a fantasy football level West is a 3rd string RB behind a breakout candidate.

For now I think Crowell and West split Tate's leftovers, but one day when all of our dreams come true and Tate goes down (sorry Ben Tate, nothing personal) what happened at the beginning of the season will not happen again. No evenish split, Crowell will be top dog. West knows this, that's why he had a bad attitude to begin with.

So unless you hold bench spots for sleeper backup RBs, what's the point holding West right now?
I agree for the most part. Had I only room for two, West would definitely be the odd man out. Had I only room for one, it might be Crowell based on the price.

But given that West is a rookie, I can't just assume last week's inactive status is a static situation either. It could have had some motivational ploy aspect to it and he could grow a lot this season just like Crowell can. So I am not so locked in that the rest of the season will look like Week 6 did. If I have the luxury to hedge my bet on that backfield, I would. But if I can't, Crowell is the pick.

Yep. Now, was that just an indication that HE thinks West is out of the picture or did he just spill the beans on what is basically a known pecking order around the locker room?

Yep. Now, was that just an indication that HE thinks West is out of the picture or did he just spill the beans on what is basically a known pecking order around the locker room?
Some great info here thanks

This is from September 30th:

Nate Ulrich ‏@NateUlrichABJ

#Browns RB Ben Tate said he doubts there are enough carries to go around for 3 RBs b/c u want to get into rhythm. "I think definitely two."

CBS reported yesterday West will be active this week, back on team's good side. Makes Crowell less of a lock @ flex for me, will be interesting to see each guy's usage.

CBS reported yesterday West will be active this week, back on team's good side. Makes Crowell less of a lock @ flex for me, will be interesting to see each guy's usage.
That news does make it harder to use crowell in the flex for me.

jtp1982 said:
Not a Crowell owner, but if this holds up, starting West with confidence.

All 3 should get plenty of ops.

the thing is, even if Crow only gets 5-7 touches, he could still end up with 70 yards and a TD against Jacksonville.

The only game in which all 3 were active for the whole game was Tennessee. West and Crowell both ran great with about 7 carries each. Both put up bad fantasy days.

Not saying Crowells bad start, just a gamble. I'm looking forward to seeing how the carries are divided.

Today will be a key game for Crow's outlook for the rest of the season. I'm looking at the carry distribution and how the o-line plays without their center. A Tate injury could always change things quickly.

Today will be a key game for Crow's outlook for the rest of the season. I'm looking at the carry distribution and how the o-line plays without their center. A Tate injury could always change things quickly.
as long as Tate is healthy Crow probably isn't topping ten carries and doesn't offer much in the passing game, the appeal to Crow is what he could do if Tate goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread