What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (12 Viewers)

Subway to local bus to get to stadium? Nope. Out.
Or LIRR.  Everything I've heard (boss is one of the few big dollar Islander season ticket holders) is that the Islanders really really want that spot, so I won't be shocked if this is just a "keep the Islanders from low balling" gesture for either Willets Point or the Bronx parking garages.  But like you said, unless you are right at Penn station, it'll preclude much of Manhattan, Queens, and parts of Brooklyn (which would seem like a non-starter).

Or LIRR.  Everything I've heard (boss is one of the few big dollar Islander season ticket holders) is that the Islanders really really want that spot, so I won't be shocked if this is just a "keep the Islanders from low balling" gesture for either Willets Point or the Bronx parking garages.  But like you said, unless you are right at Penn station, it'll preclude much of Manhattan, Queens, and parts of Brooklyn (which would seem like a non-starter).
what is the draw of the area to the Islanders with these issues?  Is their fan base not located in those boroughs?

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the draw of the area to the Islanders with these issues?  Is their fan base not located in those boroughs?
I'm no expert but I believe a significant number of Islanders fans are on Long Island while people in the 5 boroughs tend to be Rangers fans.  It might be more important to be convenient to the LIRR than anything else.

It's still more a Long Island fan base as opposed to an NYC one.  The Barclays Center is so bad for hockey that they've never been able to make any real headway with fans here (as bad as YS is for soccer, Barclays is much worse for hockey).  They want to get out ASAP and Willets Point is still a good 3-5 years from even being a possibility.  

The Barclays Center is so bad for hockey that they've never been able to make any real headway with fans here (as bad as YS is for soccer, Barclays is much worse for hockey).  
The article said they have a 25 year lease at Barclays.  I assume that is going to cost a ton of money to get out of.  

The article said they have a 25 year lease at Barclays.  I assume that is going to cost a ton of money to get out of.  
Nah, the Barclays Center people don't really want the Isles either.  They can make more money hosting other events and avoid the bother of reconfiguring the arena 40 times a year for a rink. 

Nobody is happy with current arrangement. 

Tom Hagen said:
I'm no expert but I believe a significant number of Islanders fans are on Long Island while people in the 5 boroughs tend to be Rangers fans.  It might be more important to be convenient to the LIRR than anything else.
They should have stayed on the island. 

If Atlanta wins tonight they clinch a playoff spot and I think moves in to 2nd in the East (I'm unsure of tiebreakers but they would be ahead of NY on GD.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I admit it, I had no idea how the MLS playoffs worked but just did some reading - top 2 in each Conference get a bye? Wow - if so, then tonight and the run in are huge.

Ok, I admit it, I had no idea how the MLS playoffs worked but just did some reading - top 2 in each Conference get a bye? Wow - if so, then tonight and the run in are huge.
NYCFC plays @ Montreal tonight. An ATLUTD win and NYCFC loss would put us in 2nd. A Quakes win at home vs the Fire would be nice too.

If Atlanta wins tonight they clinch a playoff spot and I think moves in to 2nd in the East (I'm unsure of tiebreakers but they would be ahead of NY on GD.)
This is the tie breaker order:

Total number of wins

Goal Differential (GD)

Goals For (GF)

Fewest Disciplinary Points*

Away Goals Differential

Away Goal For

Home Goals Differential

Home Goal For

Coin Toss (tie of 2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of 3 or more clubs)

for you refs and pseudo refs, is this really a red?  Is was judged to be so on VAR.  Strong tackle but the Revs player seemed to be clearly first to the ball.

https://streamable.com/s0iit
Not even a foul, Imo. No schtick.

How does a ref look at video and still get that so wrong?
:lmao:  no ####.  HTF is that a foul, let alone a red?  You can see he even made an attempt to keep his studs away from the dude's leg as he followed through.

I'd like to hear a little about this game, which was a pretty good result for yer boyos in blue.
I watched the game from my couch, drifting in and out of an anesthesia-induced sleep from a minor medical procedure I had yesterday morning. One thing I recall is that Chelsea played very physical, whereas they normally get pushed around by Atletico. D Luiz made a very stupid mistake that lead to the 1-0 and it easily could have been 2-0 early in the second half when Saul missed a good chance. Chelsea were very aggressive from start to finish and earned the 3 points imo.

I can only assume he thought the player was trying to kick out at the Orlando player after??  That's all I got :shrug:  
his studs were up... because he was on the ground sliding and won the ball with the inside of his foot. maybe the ref wanted him to be en pointe like a ballerina, pointing his foot straight so those mean old studs weren't facing anywhere but the ground.

Ancelotti is gone, apparently (per ESPN). Its a tough crowd down there in Bavaria.
Bayern and Ancelotti part ways

Following an internal analysis in Munich on Thursday 28 September 2017, FC Bayern München have announced the club is to part company with head coach Carlo Ancelotti with immediate effect.

Assistant coach Willy Sagnol will take charge of the team on an interim basis.

More news follows shortly...

I have to think the only reason he did not rescind the red on VAR was out of spite for the way the Revs ganged up on him after he flashed the red.  What a joke.
I am not sure what you mean by rescind on VAR.  The VAR made the call for the red card, not the ref, the ref I believe has to follow what var says here.  The ref did not give the red card to begin with.

As for surrounding ref, I hate that, I wish the sport would have punishments for that.  I think the Revs lost it because this was their 4th red card in 4 games and three of them were questionable like this one.

I need to go to a game over in Minnesota :excited:

A female soccer fan who was caught watching a game while topless in the presence of a child has been charged with “indecent exposure.”

Rose Picklo, 23, was arrested Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis after a 7-year-old boy spotted her watching the game, sitting behind him and his mother, without a shirt on, WCCO-TV reported.

“Don’t look. Just watch the game. That’s what we’re here for,” the boy’s mother, Tori Hintzman, told the Star Tribune.

Police were notified of Picklo showing “her bare breasts in a section full of people” at the stadium, which is located on the University of Minnesota’s campus.

Picklo was reportedly ordered by university police to put a shirt on and was threatened with arrest, but the soccer fan refused and argued with authorities.

During the encounter, Picklo said she “was filming the incident” to get the officers on video.

“I don’t remember a whole lot about what happened,” Picklo told the Star Tribune. She told the news outlet that she was “on my third beer” during the event.

Hintzman said that other men watching the game in the area were also not wearing shirts. 

After being handcuffed by two officers, Picklo was subsequently carried out of the stadium because she refused to walk on her own. She was later taken to the Hennepin County Jail.

Picklo is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 9. She was charged with indecent exposure, a gross misdemeanor charge, and could face up to a year in jail or a $3,000 fine.

Users who are viewing this thread