Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Here's a decent schedule.  June/July is going to be a tough month work-wise between this and the USMNT games.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/euro-2020-tv-schedule/

 

18-27 or so of June Is gonna be bad for me work wise. My one boss take vacation and had a brother who died on my birthday from a heart attack several yrs ago so the whole family goes to the NJ Shore for a week then. My Birthday is a Friday this year so I can take off the weekend and Sunday the 20th I can just ask for early hrs as Italy plays at 3 but probably wouldn't be able to get into city for the match 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, guru_007 said:

England has all kinds of options, will need to see who is called up.  Have to figure Jordan Henderson is a shoe in, so if he's there, you can probably throw Rice in at CB.  Or you can play 3 in the back with Maguire flanked by Kyle Walker and AWB.  I dunno.

 

So England uses Rice as a CB similar to how Scotland uses Scott McTominey at CB despite being a DMF? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I think crossing is James' main strength.  No doubt he is the best crosser of the Chelsea fullback/wingbacks. If anything, his defending is the weaker part of his game.

Here's the Whoscored profile:

 

 

I really have no opinion as to which player would be best for England.  James has done well playing right wing back in a 3-4-3 under Tuchel, played RB for Lampard. In 2018-19 on loan at Wigan he was their player of the year and made the championship team of the year as a right back.

 

I think TAA’s crossing is superior and his set piece capability offset what James brings.  Just MO.  I’m not saying James shouldn’t be on the team - I just really like Arnold’s game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I think they are so constantly overrated they may be underrated this go round.  They should be a semifinal team, IMO, based on their roster.  They just need Southgate to set them up well but not sure he’s up for the task.  We’ll see but they have a ton of talent in that side.  

I tend to agree, they are very talented. They also have the semifinals/final in Wembley.

That said, I always feel like the Euros reward squads that can actually play well-organized defense. I'm not sure who that will be right now, but I have doubts about the two frontrunners in that department.

Edited by Desert_Power
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I’d be shocked if they do this unless McGuire misses the tournament.

He's out of the boot and off crutches.  Expected to miss Europa final though.  I would expect hes back for Euros

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Listening to Grumpy Pundits on my way to work today, the question came up:

Who are the top 5 most iconic all time teams in Europe?

Barca with Pep, Xavi, Iniesta et al.

The invincibles.

The Galacticos

 

... Next two are tough. Some great Bayern, Liverpool, United, Inter and Milan teams

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Are we talking club or country?

Good question. Given the Euro talk, I guess it makes sense for it to be Country...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Actually they were talking Clubs, not country and not individual years/teams.  Basically the all time biggest clubs with history...

Man U

Real 

AJAX 

Milan 

Bayern maybe? 

 

Going off success 

Rangers (Most trophies ever in any sport I believe) 

Celtic

Benfica

Barcelona

Real Madrid 

Ajax

Edited by DJackson10
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Actually they were talking Clubs, not country and not individual years/teams.  Basically the all time biggest clubs with history...

RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Ajax, Inter, AC, Juventus

Others to consider:

Rangers, Celtic, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, PSV - maybe Dortmund

Sure I'm forgetting some

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Ajax, Inter, Milan, Juventus

Others to consider:

Rangers, Celtic, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, PSV - maybe Dortmund

Sure I'm forgetting some

I changed the Bold for ya. :D Its known as Milan. Ask any Milan supporter and they hate being Referred to AC. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rodney Marsh (former City, QPR player and current Grumpy Pundit) listed:

RM, Barca, Bayern, United, Inter

Tom Rennie (part time cohost and game day commentator) laughed at Inter, saying AC Milan is more iconic.  But either way he puts Liverpool in over either Milan club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Listening to Grumpy Pundits on my way to work today, the question came up:

Who are the top 5 most iconic all time teams in Europe?

Also when talking Iconic do they mean Prestige, Success in trophies league and International, commercial success/Popularity etc? 

If we then go by naming one in each country for the US at least from where I am in the NE of the states Italy wise Milan is popular. England is hard as you got the ManU supporters from the Beckham/Fergie era, Liverpool today and Chelsea. Spain its Barca now that CR7 is no longer at Madrid and Germany it's Bayern Munich but seeing more Dortmund stuff thanks to the USA players success here. 

 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

I changed the Bold for ya. :D Its known as Milan. Ask any Milan supporter and they hate being Referred to AC. 

He's talking about Athletic Club. 

Nobody would think to mention a seria B team in this conversation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Actually they were talking Clubs, not country and not individual years/teams.  Basically the all time biggest clubs with history...

I know I'm pedantic about this, but the word "iconic" was throwing me off.  For national teams, I was thinking Cruyff's Total Football Netherlands teams of the 70's, understanding that is before my time and I never saw them play (and Spain approx 10 years ago.)  As stated here, I think it becomes a less interesting question imo.  Limiting it to 5 creates a platform for discussion, but the pool is a pretty limited group. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, El Floppo said:

He's talking about Athletic Club. 

Nobody would think to mention a seria B team in this conversation.

Serie B? Why are we talking about @Kafka's club 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Rodney Marsh (former City, QPR player and current Grumpy Pundit) listed:

RM, Barca, Bayern, United, Inter

Tom Rennie (part time cohost and game day commentator) laughed at Inter, saying AC Milan is more iconic.  But either way he puts Liverpool in over either Milan club.

Milan is iconic for me because of the way Berlusconi came in with big money in the 80s to rescue the club, bring in the Dutch trio and Sacchi and then dominate Europe and Italy.  That club and Serie A of those years foreshadowed the future dominance of wealthy owners and international galacticos before Real Madrid did it a decade later.

But its hard to keep Liverpool out of any list like this, so really no right/wrong answer.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last day of the Bundesliga.
Big ceremonies before the Bayern match.  Flick leaving as manager, Klose leaving as assistant, and both Boateng and Alaba's last match.

Lewandowski scored in the 90th minute to break Gerd Müller's 49 year old scoring record.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mjolnirs said:

Last day of the Bundesliga.
Big ceremonies before the Bayern match.  Flick leaving as manager, Klose leaving as assistant, and both Boateng and Alaba's last match.

Lewandowski scored in the 90th minute to break Gerd Müller's 49 year old scoring record.

That Lewa record is crazy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

So Bale is going back to Real next season?

With Kane leaving, I can't see any reason for Spurs to keep Bale.

 

Spurs have the option, but Spurs will be in transition, so it does not make sense.  Bale wanted game time this year to prepare for Euros - but I don't think he has the same motivation to go out on loan somewhere else next year.  So back to Madrid and golfing, I imagine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

With Kane leaving, I can't see any reason for Spurs to keep Bale.

 

Spurs have the option, but Spurs will be in transition, so it does not make sense.  Bale wanted game time this year to prepare for Euros - but I don't think he has the same motivation to go out on loan somewhere else next year.  So back to Madrid and golfing, I imagine.

I could see United doing something stupid liking bringing Bale in (3 years too late).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2021 at 6:28 AM, AAABatteries said:

I could see United doing something stupid liking bringing Bale in (3 years too late).

They are still being linked with Wesley Snjeider aren't they?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sergio Ramos out of the Spain EUROs squad.  He's been injured and not the player he was even last season.  Probable that his international career is over.  That said, he's had a hell run.  2 EUROs, 1 World Cup.  Most caps in European football ever.  Scored 20 goals.  Not bad for a central defender.  Ronaldo could pass him as he's only 7 back and will play in EUROs.  He doesn't seem ready to hang 'em up either, so he could gets some caps in WCQ  and play in WC2022.

Koke and Marcos Llorente get the call up from Atlético.  No Real players in Spain's 23 for the first time ever in a major competition.  This is more due to injuries than talent, but still... 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Z Machine said:

Sergio Ramos out of the Spain EUROs squad.  He's been injured and not the player he was even last season.  Probable that his international career is over.  That said, he's had a hell run.  2 EUROs, 1 World Cup.  Most caps in European football ever.  Scored 20 goals.  Not bad for a central defender.  Ronaldo could pass him as he's only 7 back and will play in EUROs.  He doesn't seem ready to hang 'em up either, so he could gets some caps in WCQ  and play in WC2022.

Koke and Marcos Llorente get the call up from Atlético.  No Real players in Spain's 23 for the first time ever in a major competition.  This is more due to injuries than talent, but still... 

That's insane.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alrighty, time for a streaming service purge.

Cancelled Peacock Premium with no EPL games until August (still get the free stuff there)
Cancelled CBS/Paramount+ with Europa final on CBSsports network (which I get on Hulu live) and the CL final on CBS...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

That Spain squad looks very no bueno this year.

Historically, Spain is either loaded with talent and play cohesively and are super dangerous, loaded with talent and can't play their way out of a wet paper bag.  This year might be different...

They still have some talent, although there will be questions asked about the back line and striker.  I'd put Llorente on the right wing as they have way more midfield talent than attacking (what's new for Spain?).

Edited by The Z Machine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Alrighty, time for a streaming service purge.

Cancelled Peacock Premium with no EPL games until August (still get the free stuff there)
Cancelled CBS/Paramount+ with Europa final on CBSsports network (which I get on Hulu live) and the CL final on CBS...

Thank you for the reminder. Doing the same.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, I was just thinking about all the ijouts that talk smack about soccer.  Where did they go?  The 3 soccer threads are some of the most popular on this board.  Where did the haters go?

  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

You know, I was just thinking about all the ijouts that talk smack about soccer.  Where did they go?  The 3 soccer threads are some of the most popular on this board.  Where did the haters go?

World Cup qualifying starting soon enough.....

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

You know, I was just thinking about all the ijouts that talk smack about soccer.  Where did they go?  The 3 soccer threads are some of the most popular on this board.  Where did the haters go?

We don’t even fight with each other anymore. It’s just a kinder, gentler board these days. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Alrighty, time for a streaming service purge.

Cancelled Peacock Premium with no EPL games until August (still get the free stuff there)
Cancelled CBS/Paramount+ with Europa final on CBSsports network (which I get on Hulu live) and the CL final on CBS...

Is Hulu live different from regular Hulu sub? I don't get CBSSPorts Network so might keep it for Europa Final

Yeah gonna start canceling some stuff too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So excited Milan are back home in the Champions League!!!! Sucks Juve snuck in. Still think Pirlo should be Sack but not his fault as he has zero managerial experience outside of this year. Should've started in the Primavera or or lower Calcio leagues. Juve has a lot of deadweight to get rid of but if they keep bandaid they'll end up like Milan had with Bloated contracts and not getting premium on players. Napoli shocking result. Still don't think Gattuso should be sacked. A lot of injuries and just stuff not going right. Thought he deserved another year but their Director loves to play musical chairs with managers.

Gut feeling told me Milan would win but thought it'd be like 2-1 or 3-2. It was great seeing Maldini so happy but fun and exciting watching how tense and the ice cold stare he had he use to give on the pitch. Ibra and Rebic in the stands going wild was fun. Gigi jumping on top of everyone was fantastic and think cemented his stay. 1 no one but a big club can sign him and 2 most big clubs who could have a keeper and unless the keeper was older then GIGI and they were getting an Allison type transfer for said Keeper makes zero sense for any of them to sign Gigi. I hope we can get Brahim Diaz back for next year and good things hearing we are going to buy Tomori no matter what now. Master class of a job by Pioli. Goal was to finish top 4 and despite not winning the Scudetto after leading in Winter break, no one really expected a 2nd place finish. Fourth was ok for many as long as it meant CL next year. And Theo Hernandez continues to be a steal from Real Madrid and severely underrated at LB 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...