What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

CletiusMaximus said:
Here's a decent schedule.  June/July is going to be a tough month work-wise between this and the USMNT games.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/euro-2020-tv-schedule/
18-27 or so of June Is gonna be bad for me work wise. My one boss take vacation and had a brother who died on my birthday from a heart attack several yrs ago so the whole family goes to the NJ Shore for a week then. My Birthday is a Friday this year so I can take off the weekend and Sunday the 20th I can just ask for early hrs as Italy plays at 3 but probably wouldn't be able to get into city for the match 

guru_007 said:
England has all kinds of options, will need to see who is called up.  Have to figure Jordan Henderson is a shoe in, so if he's there, you can probably throw Rice in at CB.  Or you can play 3 in the back with Maguire flanked by Kyle Walker and AWB.  I dunno.
So England uses Rice as a CB similar to how Scotland uses Scott McTominey at CB despite being a DMF? 

I think crossing is James' main strength.  No doubt he is the best crosser of the Chelsea fullback/wingbacks. If anything, his defending is the weaker part of his game.

Here's the Whoscored profile:

I really have no opinion as to which player would be best for England.  James has done well playing right wing back in a 3-4-3 under Tuchel, played RB for Lampard. In 2018-19 on loan at Wigan he was their player of the year and made the championship team of the year as a right back.
I think TAA’s crossing is superior and his set piece capability offset what James brings.  Just MO.  I’m not saying James shouldn’t be on the team - I just really like Arnold’s game.

I think they are so constantly overrated they may be underrated this go round.  They should be a semifinal team, IMO, based on their roster.  They just need Southgate to set them up well but not sure he’s up for the task.  We’ll see but they have a ton of talent in that side.  
I tend to agree, they are very talented. They also have the semifinals/final in Wembley.

That said, I always feel like the Euros reward squads that can actually play well-organized defense. I'm not sure who that will be right now, but I have doubts about the two frontrunners in that department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to Grumpy Pundits on my way to work today, the question came up:

Who are the top 5 most iconic all time teams in Europe?

Barca with Pep, Xavi, Iniesta et al.

The invincibles.

The Galacticos

... Next two are tough. Some great Bayern, Liverpool, United, Inter and Milan teams

Real Madrid 50/60s, Real Madrid Galacticos, Pep's Barca, 70s/80s Liverpool, 70s Ajax, 70s Bayern, 90s Milan

Actually they were talking Clubs, not country and not individual years/teams.  Basically the all time biggest clubs with history...
RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Ajax, Inter, AC, Juventus

Others to consider:

Rangers, Celtic, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, PSV - maybe Dortmund

Sure I'm forgetting some

RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Ajax, Inter, Milan, Juventus

Others to consider:

Rangers, Celtic, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, PSV - maybe Dortmund

Sure I'm forgetting some
I changed the Bold for ya. :D  Its known as Milan. Ask any Milan supporter and they hate being Referred to AC. 

Rodney Marsh (former City, QPR player and current Grumpy Pundit) listed:

RM, Barca, Bayern, United, Inter

Tom Rennie (part time cohost and game day commentator) laughed at Inter, saying AC Milan is more iconic.  But either way he puts Liverpool in over either Milan club.

Good calls on the Ajax and Celtic/Rangers calls.

My first thought was RM, Barca, Bayern, United, Liverpool but I could see some arguement for Ajax or Milan

Also when talking Iconic do they mean Prestige, Success in trophies league and International, commercial success/Popularity etc? 

If we then go by naming one in each country for the US at least from where I am in the NE of the states Italy wise Milan is popular. England is hard as you got the ManU supporters from the Beckham/Fergie era, Liverpool today and Chelsea. Spain its Barca now that CR7 is no longer at Madrid and Germany it's Bayern Munich but seeing more Dortmund stuff thanks to the USA players success here. 

Actually they were talking Clubs, not country and not individual years/teams.  Basically the all time biggest clubs with history...
I know I'm pedantic about this, but the word "iconic" was throwing me off.  For national teams, I was thinking Cruyff's Total Football Netherlands teams of the 70's, understanding that is before my time and I never saw them play (and Spain approx 10 years ago.)  As stated here, I think it becomes a less interesting question imo.  Limiting it to 5 creates a platform for discussion, but the pool is a pretty limited group. 

Rodney Marsh (former City, QPR player and current Grumpy Pundit) listed:

RM, Barca, Bayern, United, Inter

Tom Rennie (part time cohost and game day commentator) laughed at Inter, saying AC Milan is more iconic.  But either way he puts Liverpool in over either Milan club.
Milan is iconic for me because of the way Berlusconi came in with big money in the 80s to rescue the club, bring in the Dutch trio and Sacchi and then dominate Europe and Italy.  That club and Serie A of those years foreshadowed the future dominance of wealthy owners and international galacticos before Real Madrid did it a decade later.

But its hard to keep Liverpool out of any list like this, so really no right/wrong answer.

Last day of the Bundesliga.
Big ceremonies before the Bayern match.  Flick leaving as manager, Klose leaving as assistant, and both Boateng and Alaba's last match.

Lewandowski scored in the 90th minute to break Gerd Müller's 49 year old scoring record.

Last day of the Bundesliga.
Big ceremonies before the Bayern match.  Flick leaving as manager, Klose leaving as assistant, and both Boateng and Alaba's last match.

Lewandowski scored in the 90th minute to break Gerd Müller's 49 year old scoring record.
That Lewa record is crazy. 

So Bale is going back to Real next season?
With Kane leaving, I can't see any reason for Spurs to keep Bale.

Spurs have the option, but Spurs will be in transition, so it does not make sense.  Bale wanted game time this year to prepare for Euros - but I don't think he has the same motivation to go out on loan somewhere else next year.  So back to Madrid and golfing, I imagine.

With Kane leaving, I can't see any reason for Spurs to keep Bale.

Spurs have the option, but Spurs will be in transition, so it does not make sense.  Bale wanted game time this year to prepare for Euros - but I don't think he has the same motivation to go out on loan somewhere else next year.  So back to Madrid and golfing, I imagine.
I could see United doing something stupid liking bringing Bale in (3 years too late).

Sergio Ramos out of the Spain EUROs squad.  He's been injured and not the player he was even last season.  Probable that his international career is over.  That said, he's had a hell run.  2 EUROs, 1 World Cup.  Most caps in European football ever.  Scored 20 goals.  Not bad for a central defender.  Ronaldo could pass him as he's only 7 back and will play in EUROs.  He doesn't seem ready to hang 'em up either, so he could gets some caps in WCQ  and play in WC2022.

Koke and Marcos Llorente get the call up from Atlético.  No Real players in Spain's 23 for the first time ever in a major competition.  This is more due to injuries than talent, but still... 

Sergio Ramos out of the Spain EUROs squad.  He's been injured and not the player he was even last season.  Probable that his international career is over.  That said, he's had a hell run.  2 EUROs, 1 World Cup.  Most caps in European football ever.  Scored 20 goals.  Not bad for a central defender.  Ronaldo could pass him as he's only 7 back and will play in EUROs.  He doesn't seem ready to hang 'em up either, so he could gets some caps in WCQ  and play in WC2022.

Koke and Marcos Llorente get the call up from Atlético.  No Real players in Spain's 23 for the first time ever in a major competition.  This is more due to injuries than talent, but still... 
That's insane.

That Spain squad looks very no bueno this year.
Historically, Spain is either loaded with talent and play cohesively and are super dangerous, loaded with talent and can't play their way out of a wet paper bag.  This year might be different...

They still have some talent, although there will be questions asked about the back line and striker.  I'd put Llorente on the right wing as they have way more midfield talent than attacking (what's new for Spain?).

Alrighty, time for a streaming service purge.

Cancelled Peacock Premium with no EPL games until August (still get the free stuff there)
Cancelled CBS/Paramount+ with Europa final on CBSsports network (which I get on Hulu live) and the CL final on CBS...
Is Hulu live different from regular Hulu sub? I don't get CBSSPorts Network so might keep it for Europa Final

Yeah gonna start canceling some stuff too. 

So excited Milan are back home in the Champions League!!!! Sucks Juve snuck in. Still think Pirlo should be Sack but not his fault as he has zero managerial experience outside of this year. Should've started in the Primavera or or lower Calcio leagues. Juve has a lot of deadweight to get rid of but if they keep bandaid they'll end up like Milan had with Bloated contracts and not getting premium on players. Napoli shocking result. Still don't think Gattuso should be sacked. A lot of injuries and just stuff not going right. Thought he deserved another year but their Director loves to play musical chairs with managers.

Gut feeling told me Milan would win but thought it'd be like 2-1 or 3-2. It was great seeing Maldini so happy but fun and exciting watching how tense and the ice cold stare he had he use to give on the pitch. Ibra and Rebic in the stands going wild was fun. Gigi jumping on top of everyone was fantastic and think cemented his stay. 1 no one but a big club can sign him and 2 most big clubs who could have a keeper and unless the keeper was older then GIGI and they were getting an Allison type transfer for said Keeper makes zero sense for any of them to sign Gigi. I hope we can get Brahim Diaz back for next year and good things hearing we are going to buy Tomori no matter what now. Master class of a job by Pioli. Goal was to finish top 4 and despite not winning the Scudetto after leading in Winter break, no one really expected a 2nd place finish. Fourth was ok for many as long as it meant CL next year. And Theo Hernandez continues to be a steal from Real Madrid and severely underrated at LB 

Users who are viewing this thread