What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

He started as a guy writing from a fans perspective so he has always brought in his view of his teams and used that as much of the basis for his arguments or discussions.
Sure. But most sports fans are childish cretins. Flip on local sports talk radio and try to get through three calls. If you're going to write about/talk about/analyze sports for a living, I think it makes way more sense if you're not homering constantly, or if you can set it aside and speak objectively. Like Lowe!
But I think that is why he sets himself apart from other sports media. He isn't like all the other talking heads trying to be impartial. He loves his teams and doesn't apologize for it and uses that. It's not for everyone and I can understand where it can rub people the wrong way. I didn't think I would care for him when he first started out because I hated Boston teams. But I thought it was refreshing to hear a fan of a team talk about his team or use his perspective as a fan instead of an impartial observer.

Over the years I have enjoyed the way he presents things and it entertains me. I can get past the homerism and still get entertained. It's not for everyone.

He started as a guy writing from a fans perspective so he has always brought in his view of his teams and used that as much of the basis for his arguments or discussions.
Sure. But most sports fans are childish cretins. Flip on local sports talk radio and try to get through three calls. If you're going to write about/talk about/analyze sports for a living, I think it makes way more sense if you're not homering constantly, or if you can set it aside and speak objectively. Like Lowe!
Clearly you don't understand Simmons or how he gained his popularity. He's not your cup of tea, and that's ok.

I think he is the only one still talking about deflategate and he manages to bring it up every episode. After you've heard that rant 15-20 times, it gets a little old.

Really like Gladwell and Klosterman :shrug:
I used to like gladwell on the podcasts even though I found his books a little undewhelming, but his last podcast appearance, he really had very little to say and now I wonder if he was tricking me all along with previous appearances.

Klosterman still rules to fill my contrarian, hypertheoretical, alternative, borderline pseudo-intellectual cravings. Especially since Bret Easton Ellis barely puts out new episodes anymore.
You serious Clark? This (Klosterman) makes me stabby. It's like hipster-meets-fake-smart-dooosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly you don't understand Simmons or how he gained his popularity. He's not your cup of tea, and that's ok.
I love anyone who propagates as much bad gambling advice as he does.

Man his interview with Michaels was just so weird. The fact that he is hung up with something Collinsworth said for 30 seconds on a game a year ago is truly bizarre. And his love for Brady is kind of...odd. It's strange how personal he takes all of this. 

His trade ideas for the NBA are, I'm sorry, garbage. The Lakers trade Russell for Parker? Do you play Parker and Randle at the same time?

Hawks trading Horford for late firsts and Olynyk. SURE. The Blazers for some reason taking on Dwight Howard to "see what he looks like", and then he recoils in horror at the prospect of Boston trading for Howard.

Yea they are awful. I just laughed my way through it. I love how the Celtics get all these all-stars for almost nothing and then he wavers on trading the Brooklyn pick for Kevin Love. 

Last edited by a moderator:
His :homer: shtick is beginning to cloud my judgment about the show, which i am a big fan of. If he toned it down even slightly that would be good enough for me, because anyone would work home team angles in every once in awhile and that is fine. He could also afford to be a little bit more diplomatic towards other teams in the sports he chooses to cover on his show, or it begins to simply sound like WEEI got syndicated nationally under his name. The world does not revolve around the New England sports teams in the national media, and if he wants to be a national staying power he needs to treat his podcast moreso along these lines. The homer focus is beginning to overtake his interviews and coverage recently and I want him to tone it down a little, just my  :2cents: as a fan.

I accept the homer stuff because he's from Boston.  That's how they all are, more than any other town.   They don't love their teams any more than the other big sports cities, they just never shut up about it.

I accept the homer stuff because he's from Boston.  That's how they all are, more than any other town.   They don't love their teams any more than the other big sports cities, they just never shut up about it.
That's about where I'm at.  Huge Sox fan, strongly dislike the Patriots and indifferent on the Celtics so it balances out nicely for me.  I still love the pod.  He's a homer, pretentious and also possibly clueless, but I've followed him since I was in high school and carry huge bias I'm sure. Still think there's nothing better than the Cousin Sal pods and even like Friday rolling even though it's NBA heavy.

Agree with everyone saying the trades were garbage. If you want some reasonable trades listen to Nate Duncan's pod. 

He does have one thing right in the fact that Portland needs to take on salary. They will actually save money if they get to the salary floor through a loop hole in the CBA. Doesn't have to be Howard but I expect them to add salary. 

Agree with everyone saying the trades were garbage. If you want some reasonable trades listen to Nate Duncan's pod. 

He does have one thing right in the fact that Portland needs to take on salary. They will actually save money if they get to the salary floor through a loop hole in the CBA. Doesn't have to be Howard but I expect them to add salary. 
Duncan mentions that loophole like every single podcast now hahaha.

If you're just sort of independent/apolitical/not "i spend 30 hours a week discussing the same political points on the internet guy with the same 10 people" guy, Bill's podcast today was actually a really good "politics" podcast.

If you're just sort of independent/apolitical/not "i spend 30 hours a week discussing the same political points on the internet guy with the same 10 people" guy, Bill's podcast today was actually a really good "politics" podcast.
Haven't listened yet but good to hear. His recent ones have been pretty boring. He just doesn't have a deep enough bench to keep things interesting 3x a week. Probably why he's been #####ing about not being able to use ESPN guys even though it makes perfect sense. 

Ep. 83: ‘The Media v. O.J. Simpson’ w/ Bryan Curtis

Really well done.  Documentary style podcast.  Wonder if this will be similar to what we'll see from BS on HBO.

Obviously he's trying to make "The Ringer" into what he wanted Grantland to be. He's hiring lots of staff out of his own pocket. Guess he thinks he can finance it through podcast advertisements. (SEATGEEK! HOME SECURITY! UNDERWEAR!) I don't see how it can be sustained without a large parent company paying the bills. Yes I realize that HBO is paying for his TV show, but so far HBO is not connected to The Ringer. And what good would cross promotion do for HBO, anyway? With Grantland, you had podcasts and articles that pushed people to ESPN (and vice versa). But how many people are going to sign up for HBO because of The Ringer??

Obviously he's trying to make "The Ringer" into what he wanted Grantland to be. He's hiring lots of staff out of his own pocket. Guess he thinks he can finance it through podcast advertisements. (SEATGEEK! HOME SECURITY! UNDERWEAR!) I don't see how it can be sustained without a large parent company paying the bills. Yes I realize that HBO is paying for his TV show, but so far HBO is not connected to The Ringer. And what good would cross promotion do for HBO, anyway? With Grantland, you had podcasts and articles that pushed people to ESPN (and vice versa). But how many people are going to sign up for HBO because of The Ringer??
All he has to do is mention "theRinger.com" on his HBO show and he should get plenty of traffic.

Isn't the parent company Bill Simmons Media Group?

They got backed by some group. It was announced a few weeks ago. Forgot the name. He/they have plenty of money. 

With his reach he would be able to get outside investors very easily. Not to mention a lot of wealthy friends who could back him. I sincerely doubt he owns 100% of his company at this point. 

The last couple months of this podcast haven't been that good to me.  I can't tell if it's because football is over or it's because there are constant unfunny digs at ESPN. 

The last couple months of this podcast haven't been that good to me.  I can't tell if it's because football is over or it's because there are constant unfunny digs at ESPN. 
This Olberman podcast is brutal. No one wants to hear from this ####### guy and Bill barely speaks the entire time.

I don't know much about Olberman but he just comes off like his opinion is more important than anyone else's.

The Jim Lampley interview was amazing. Loved it. I am a huge boxing fan and I hate when Bill talks anything Boston, so that was really a dream situation. 

This Olberman podcast is brutal. No one wants to hear from this ####### guy and Bill barely speaks the entire time.

I don't know much about Olberman but he just comes off like his opinion is more important than anyone else's.
If you had to describe Keith Olbermann's entire media personality in one sentence, you pretty much nailed it.

The Lampley one was good because it was something new. Even when he had the Obama guys on which Bender brought up in here (NOT the actor/writer/director Jon Favreau, like I thought) I found that interesting because they brought a new perspective to it at least, even if the topic itself wasn't very interesting.

I have no interest in listening to Joe House talk about the Warriors every damn week. 

He sounds like a 6th grader who thinks he's cool whenever he says the eff word.  And the reads are just painful.  But I still enjoy it. :)

The OJ one I am listening to now, really good stuff.  I especially appreciated Lampley's input as an OJ buddy.

The Olbermann/Patrick Sportscenter push was a marketing thing.  They were fine.  But I watch for the highlights.  Not the commentary.  

They were the only thing on.  That's it.  

The HBO TV show will be called "Any Given Wednesday".  Wednesday's at 10 PM Eastern.  First season will be 20 episodes.  Premiere on June 22.

Between Simmons returning to TV and Skip Bayless getting the boot from ESPN, June is looking like a good month.

Looking forward to the podcast where they discuss the nixed names for the show again: Any Given Monday, Any Given Tuesday, Any Given Thursday...

Key and Peele was OK. I was expecting some funny and there was none. But not a bad listen nonetheless. 

Chris Sacca ep is really good. One of the most interesting ones he's had all year imo. 

Key and Peele was OK. I was expecting some funny and there was none. But not a bad listen nonetheless. 

Chris Sacca ep is really good. One of the most interesting ones he's had all year imo. 
Did Sacca preface every statement with "When I invested early in Uber..." like he does on Shark Tank?

Did Sacca preface every statement with "When I invested early in Uber..." like he does on Shark Tank?
:lmao: I didn't care for him much on shark tank but he was good on this. Plus Simmons can out-boast the best of them 

Users who are viewing this thread