What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (1 Viewer)

People are really overthinking this.

Collins is the most talented runner and an OK receiving back on a team that wants to feature him, didn't draft any RB in a loaded RB draft, and will be on an offense with improved pass catchers, a healthier and much improved line, and 2 additional rookie TE's who'll keep linebackers honest.  And people want to nitpick about YPC over a handful of games last year during his first extended look when his overall numbers were strong?

He didn't even land in Baltimore until September last year and looked strong.  He ran hard and showed explosiveness.  And the Ravens clearly like him and don't have a QB who'll be airing it out all the time.  Unless you believe Allen or Dixon will unseat him, which to me is highly unlikely, you're looking at a soon-to-be 24 year old starting RB with some history of success and both a relatively high floor AND ceiling if he stays healthy.  There's really not a lot to dislike about him right now.
I don't think that's clear at all. Even when he was running well last year they took him out at the goal line on more than one occasion.

Disliking the coaching situation trumps the talent for some of his detractors. 

He's the kind of player for whom both if he falls or succeeds that it will have been "obvious".

I don't think that's clear at all. Even when he was running well last year they took him out at the goal line on more than one occasion.

Disliking the coaching situation trumps the talent for some of his detractors. 

He's the kind of player for whom both if he falls or succeeds that it will have been "obvious".
Well, I do think it's clear that the coaching likes hi, but if coaching ends up limiting him somewhat, so be it.  He's still exceptional value with a huge ceiling, but if someone wants to say he's just not that good, that's fine too.  

Coming off a year where they fed him 212 carries in 15 games (he averaged 16.5 carries per game in November and December), they're now heading into this season with only Dixon and Allen as competition.  Could one of them beat him out?  I suppose it's possible.  But it speaks volumes that they didn't even draft anyone for depth or competition.  A team not comfortable with their starter - especially a team that HAS to run the ball well if they want to compete - doesn't act that way.  It's not like they're sitting there saying that if their running backs aren't successful, they can just air it out and win anyways.  And if you think they're just so comfortable because they have Dixon and Allen, well, agree to disagree.  One can't stay healthy and the other's just a backup.

He doesn't have to be a 20+ carry workhorse to be outstanding value, but his upside is huge if he produces and earns that kind of role.  Give him 15 to 17 carries a game plus a couple catches, and I'm buying regardless.. 

Damn near everything about his situation is better this year than it was last year.  

No argument with this narrative. What is hold me back from leading the Collin parade is Morhinweig. My apologies for the repost, but I think it is a mistake to not factor in play calling. 

In Mornhinweg's past 6 seasons as an OC no back has exceeded 212 attempts. Over that same period the average number of carries by a RB1 is 197. It seemed like Morning was up to his old tricks last season. Collins was performing at a high level but Allen was often subbed in at some strange moments. I like what I saw from Collins last year but Morhinweg's history is putting a damper on my enthusiasm.
interesting point

No argument with this narrative. What is hold me back from leading the Collin parade is Morhinweig. My apologies for the repost, but I think it is a mistake to not factor in play calling. 

In Mornhinweg's past 6 seasons as an OC no back has exceeded 212 attempts. Over that same period the average number of carries by a RB1 is 197. It seemed like Morning was up to his old tricks last season. Collins was performing at a high level but Allen was often subbed in at some strange moments. I like what I saw from Collins last year but Morhinweg's history is putting a damper on my enthusiasm.
So 6 years ago Morty had Shady for 12 games gaving him 200 and carries and 54 receptions, on pace for however much. Since then, in 2 years with the Jets and 3 with the Ravens, he hadn't much quality, healthy RBs worthy of more than 212 carries. It's worth noting Chip Kelly used Westbrook much better for our purposes. Morty only gave him 273 carries at maximum. And Alex Collins is not LeSean Mccoy. But John Harbaugh is not Andy Reid. So I don't know what to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep

I was forced to start Collins alot last year. Watching him get pulled constantly was ####### maddening

The thing is, as I hinted at and Andy more clearly stated, Morhinweig appeared to be falling into the same pattern last year. I saw Collins often get replaced at the weirdest times in drives. I distinctly that Collins was pulled at the goal line in favor of Allen. I do not mean to down play Collins prospects. Only sharing my reservations. 
Yeah that definitely happened and it was annoying as hell.

Collins is probably going to end the year as a solid RB2/3 based purely on his opportunity, but he does present a very low downside. The coaching staff has repeatedly avoided praising him or calling him their guy, he could easily be embroiled in a RBBC with Buck and Dixon. I'm avoiding Collins because I don't see any long term value. I did get Dixon for free off waivers, but he's the first guy I'm going to cut after our rookie draft and they become available for Free Agency.

Collins has the curse of being a very solid but not exciting RB. The coaching staff also has very little invested in him. If he had been drafted by the Ravens then I'd be higher on him.
Did you watch him? He is actually very exciting. In case you missed last season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB9V1_Zmwpg

I think Collins will be the clear starter based on his performance last year. Buck and Dixon will fight over the backup position. I don't understand the Dixon love, he failed 2 drug tests in a 6-month span. I don't see the Ravens putting their running game in the hands of that guy.

32 Counter Pass said:
The thing is, as I hinted at and Andy more clearly stated, Morhinweig appeared to be falling into the same pattern last year. I saw Collins often get replaced at the weirdest times in drives. I distinctly that Collins was pulled at the goal line in favor of Allen. I do not mean to down play Collins prospects. Only sharing my reservations. 
This is exactly what makes me hesitate. He has shown he can handle the workload on his own. But there is no telling if the head scratching calls will continue this year or they will release their hold on him and let him run wild. There was no indication as the season progressed that the bonehead calls would stop. 

This is exactly what makes me hesitate. He has shown he can handle the workload on his own. But there is no telling if the head scratching calls will continue this year or they will release their hold on him and let him run wild. There was no indication as the season progressed that the bonehead calls would stop. 
The thing is the Ravens were 7th in the league in rushing attempts at 28.8 per game and that was behind a mediocre run blocking line. And a handful of the teams above them (Philly, Dallas, Buffalo, Carolina) have qbs who run way more than Flacco so I’m guessing that 7th number is closer to 3 or 4 in terms of attempts by running backs. I imagine the Ravens want to run the ball even more this year with likely a better run blocking offensive line in place. They should again have a pretty good *defense capable of keeping game scripts favorable for running the ball. There’s room for another back to get 10-12 carries while Collins still leads the way with 16-18 carries and a handful of targets which is basically what he averaged once the team let him lead the way against Miami in week 7. 20 touches per game for Collins is still realistic even with a second back getting touches and that’s a great payoff for his ADP. Also worth mentioning that the boneheaded play calling did seem to ease up towards the end of the season as Collins at least started to get more goal line and red zone touches to go along with utilization in the passing game pushing him up to those 20 touches per game.

*I’ll add a note here that the while the defense is arguably better than last year, last year’s unit benefited from playing a remarkable lineup of backup/scrub qbs. So while it may be better on paper the results might not be as good. Last year’s defense led the league in takeaways which explains a lot of why the Ravens bad offense still managed the 9th most plays per game. Playing a more full slate of real qbs will make it more difficult to achieve that rate of takeaways again. I do think that’s offset and then some by having a better offensive line and overall offensive weapons to keep drives alive.

People are really overthinking this.

Collins is the most talented runner and an OK receiving back on a team that wants to feature him, didn't draft any RB in a loaded RB draft, and will be on an offense with improved pass catchers, a healthier and much improved line, and 2 additional rookie TE's who'll keep linebackers honest.  And people want to nitpick about YPC over a handful of games last year during his first extended look when his overall numbers were strong?

He didn't even land in Baltimore until September last year and looked strong.  He ran hard and showed explosiveness.  And the Ravens clearly like him and don't have a QB who'll be airing it out all the time.  Unless you believe Allen or Dixon will unseat him, which to me is highly unlikely, you're looking at a soon-to-be 24 year old starting RB with some history of success and both a relatively high floor AND ceiling if he stays healthy.  There's really not a lot to dislike about him right now.
Or people are oversimplifying.

Is he the most talented runner? Maybe - we have yet to really see what Dixon can do and he was drafted ahead of Collins (and unlike Collins, he hasn't been cut by the team that drafted him). 

Is he an ok receiving back? Or is he worse than average? I really don't know, but I'm not sure anyone else in here actually does.

They didn't draft RB bc they only had 2 picks (and lots of needs) before the top 8 were gone. The rest of the RBs in this draft are depth-level talent and they've already got that on their roster.

Will the OL be improved? I don't think they added anyone and I recall they at least lost Ryan Jensen to the Bucs. Signs point to "average at best" for this OL.

Improved WRs... I mostly agree but Wallace wasn't bad and nobody knows for sure what they'll get out of John Brown. I don't expect the difference to be night and day.

Rookie TEs are going to keep the LBs honest? TEs are the slowest developing of all the positions. Don't bank on them making a big difference.

Since when is half a season a handful of games? And that half season is notable because that's when he started getting a starter's workload.

Do the Ravens clearly like him? Are you getting that from the tiny 1-year contract they gave him?

From what I've read, Dixon is a good inside runner, is a plus receiver, and a plus pass blocker. Collins has first dibs on the job, but I wouldn't consider his job security to be that high.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the situation is terrible. I'm merely imploring the use of caution here. He is a talented runner, I just don't think we know he's the most talented on the roster. Not drafting any RBs is nice for him, regardless of the reason. But let's not pretend we know the reason (vote of confidence vs. lack of draft picks vs. other needs). The OL won't be good, but we've seen plenty of RBs survive average to poor OLs. Let's hope Crabtree keeps his head on straight, John Brown is healthy, and Snead rekindles whatever he showed his first two years in NO, but let's not bank on this ragtag group of WRs revitalizing the offense. Similarly, it's ok to hope the TEs pay immediate dividends, but historically it is unlikely. As for the contract, I think he was a RFA so the Ravens elected to go with the 1-year deal. They certainly could've signed him longterm if they really liked him, but their frugality doesn't mean they don't intend to use him this year or possibly re-sign him next year. So while I seem to be arguing one side of things in this thread, I actually consider myself neutral on him. I'm pursuing him in drafts, but so far others are pursuing harder. He's got an interesting mix of red flags and opportunity. It's best not to oversimplify it.

Or people are oversimplifying.

Is he the most talented runner? Maybe - we have yet to really see what Dixon can do and he was drafted ahead of Collins (and unlike Collins, he hasn't been cut by the team that drafted him). 

Is he an ok receiving back? Or is he worse than average? I really don't know, but I'm not sure anyone else in here actually does.

They didn't draft RB bc they only had 2 picks (and lots of needs) before the top 8 were gone. The rest of the RBs in this draft are depth-level talent and they've already got that on their roster.

Will the OL be improved? I don't think they added anyone and I recall they at least lost Ryan Jensen to the Bucs. Signs point to "average at best" for this OL.

Improved WRs... I mostly agree but Wallace wasn't bad and nobody knows for sure what they'll get out of John Brown. I don't expect the difference to be night and day.

Rookie TEs are going to keep the LBs honest? TEs are the slowest developing of all the positions. Don't bank on them making a big difference.

Since when is half a season a handful of games? And that half season is notable because that's when he started getting a starter's workload.

Do the Ravens clearly like him? Are you getting that from the tiny 1-year contract they gave him?

From what I've read, Dixon is a good inside runner, is a plus receiver, and a plus pass blocker. Collins has first dibs on the job, but I wouldn't consider his job security to be that high.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the situation is terrible. I'm merely imploring the use of caution here. He is a talented runner, I just don't think we know he's the most talented on the roster. Not drafting any RBs is nice for him, regardless of the reason. But let's not pretend we know the reason (vote of confidence vs. lack of draft picks vs. other needs). The OL won't be good, but we've seen plenty of RBs survive average to poor OLs. Let's hope Crabtree keeps his head on straight, John Brown is healthy, and Snead rekindles whatever he showed his first two years in NO, but let's not bank on this ragtag group of WRs revitalizing the offense. Similarly, it's ok to hope the TEs pay immediate dividends, but historically it is unlikely. As for the contract, I think he was a RFA so the Ravens elected to go with the 1-year deal. They certainly could've signed him longterm if they really liked him, but their frugality doesn't mean they don't intend to use him this year or possibly re-sign him next year. So while I seem to be arguing one side of things in this thread, I actually consider myself neutral on him. I'm pursuing him in drafts, but so far others are pursuing harder. He's got an interesting mix of red flags and opportunity. It's best not to oversimplify it.
I'm not all that interested in getting into a back and forth on him.  Different opinions make this hobby fun, we'll see how it turns out.  To me, this is a very, very simple situation and I'll trust what he looked like last year to me.  I think Dixon is a talented runner and Allen is a quality backup, but it'll take Collins' regressing for him not to be a great value this year.  Just my opinion, and maybe he flops.  We've all missed more than we've hit over the years.  I won't be surprised if he runs for 1200 yards and scores 10 TDs, and I won't be surprised if he loses his job. 

But, his OL will only need to be healthier in order to be better.  2 or 3 of their starters went down last year, including Yanda, and I definitely see better skill position players at WR and TE whether the TE's are rookies or not.  If he runs like he did last year behind a healthier line and with a better supporting cast, I like his chances for success.

People are over-analyzing the passing on a RB thing in the draft. 

Baltimore isn't doing much of anything significant this season. They are trying to rebuild. You don't rebuild by taking a RB when you have 3 that are capable of carrying the ball. Is that a vote of confidence? Maybe, if they had given him a lucrative contract. Maybe them giving him a small extension was their way of saying we wanrt you for one more year and we are drafting a RB next season.

Another point people make is, well this was a loaded draft at RB, and next year's class is bad. Next year actually has 2 or 3 RBs who are quite talented and could be round 1 talent. 

Maybe they don't even know what they have at RB. They want to see Dixon and Collins play it out this year and figure out what they have before they spend a high draft pick on a RB. I don't blame them. This is a multi-year process. 

It makes no sense to read into them passing on a RB as a vote of confidence for Carson when you're going to completely ignore the contract they gave him. Talk about cherry picking your points/facts; how is passing on a RB and giving him a 600k ish contract a vote of confidence? I definitely believe that even Baltimore doesn't know what they have, but they want to find out before they move on. 

People are over-analyzing the passing on a RB thing in the draft. 

Baltimore isn't doing much of anything significant this season. They are trying to rebuild. You don't rebuild by taking a RB when you have 3 that are capable of carrying the ball. Is that a vote of confidence? Maybe, if they had given him a lucrative contract. Maybe them giving him a small extension was their way of saying we wanrt you for one more year and we are drafting a RB next season.

Another point people make is, well this was a loaded draft at RB, and next year's class is bad. Next year actually has 2 or 3 RBs who are quite talented and could be round 1 talent. 

Maybe they don't even know what they have at RB. They want to see Dixon and Collins play it out this year and figure out what they have before they spend a high draft pick on a RB. I don't blame them. This is a multi-year process. 

It makes no sense to read into them passing on a RB as a vote of confidence for Carson when you're going to completely ignore the contract they gave him. Talk about cherry picking your points/facts; how is passing on a RB and giving him a 600k ish contract a vote of confidence? I definitely believe that even Baltimore doesn't know what they have, but they want to find out before they move on. 
To be clear, my opinion of Collins is based minimally on stuff like the draft.  It's nice that they didn't, but he still has to go out and perform to keep it even if he's handed the job.

It's based mostly on what he looked like.  I do wonder how many people who actually watched him doubt his talent level.  Maybe some people didn't watch him and are basing it on YPC numbers or whatever, but I'm not.  He.  Looked.  Good.  Powerful and explosive, a little bit shifty too.  And he was running behind a very banged up line without any real threats anywhere else on the offense and with a QB who didn't scare anyone.  And he was doing it on an offense that he only joined in September and got thrown into after sitting out for only one week.  Now the OL is expected to be healthy, the weapons around him look at least somewhat better, and he's got an offseason to get ready.  Them not drafting a RB was just a cherry on top, that's all.

To be clear, my opinion of Collins is based minimally on stuff like the draft.  It's nice that they didn't, but he still has to go out and perform to keep it even if he's handed the job.

It's based mostly on what he looked like.  I do wonder how many people who actually watched him doubt his talent level.  Maybe some people didn't watch him and are basing it on YPC numbers or whatever, but I'm not.  He.  Looked.  Good.  Powerful and explosive, a little bit shifty too.  And he was running behind a very banged up line without any real threats anywhere else on the offense and with a QB who didn't scare anyone.  And he was doing it on an offense that he only joined in September and got thrown into after sitting out for only one week.  Now the OL is expected to be healthy, the weapons around him look at least somewhat better, and he's got an offseason to get ready.  Them not drafting a RB was just a cherry on top, that's all.
I saw him less than a handful of times and I was very impressed. However, it was maddening seeing him taken out. Why, when he did look so good? 

I like to think someone who does what they do for a profession, and reaches a level as high as OC or HC in the NFL, knows what they are doing. They see the same stuff we do. So there was a reason they kept pulling him out. and it's not because the coaches are dumb, not seeing what we're seeing, etc. Something about Collins made them pull him. Maybe he's not terribly smart and it was taking him a long time to pick up the plays. Maybe he was getting banged up. Who knows. 

I agree, he looks great when he's out there. He passes the so called eye ball test for a lot of us. But that wasn't enough for the guys who get paid millions of dollars to coach for a living. So why is that, is the question I ask. why did they not give him a contract for 2 or 3 years? they could have paid him 10 million over 3 seasons and still had him cheap if he turned out to be a backup only. But they signed him to a 1 year peanut deal. Baltimore isn't in salary cap trouble. maybe Collins wanted a jackpot contract and that's all they could work out. Who knows, but to completely overlook that part of it because he passes the arm chair GM/fantasy football player eye ball test isn't enough for me. 

Baltimore is perpetually in salary cap trouble.  Overthecap shows them as 12th worst in the league for the next 3 seasons
I mean this year; they didn't have to sign Collins cheap because of salary cap. Getting rid of Flacco will solve a lot of their cap issues I believe. 

I saw him less than a handful of times and I was very impressed. However, it was maddening seeing him taken out. Why, when he did look so good? 

I like to think someone who does what they do for a profession, and reaches a level as high as OC or HC in the NFL, knows what they are doing. They see the same stuff we do. So there was a reason they kept pulling him out. and it's not because the coaches are dumb, not seeing what we're seeing, etc. Something about Collins made them pull him. Maybe he's not terribly smart and it was taking him a long time to pick up the plays. Maybe he was getting banged up. Who knows. 

I agree, he looks great when he's out there. He passes the so called eye ball test for a lot of us. But that wasn't enough for the guys who get paid millions of dollars to coach for a living. So why is that, is the question I ask. why did they not give him a contract for 2 or 3 years? they could have paid him 10 million over 3 seasons and still had him cheap if he turned out to be a backup only. But they signed him to a 1 year peanut deal. Baltimore isn't in salary cap trouble. maybe Collins wanted a jackpot contract and that's all they could work out. Who knows, but to completely overlook that part of it because he passes the arm chair GM/fantasy football player eye ball test isn't enough for me. 
Ah yes, the old "infallible professional evaluator" argument.  The best guys always play.  Problem with this line of thinking is you're never allowed to question personnel decisions, draft choices, trades, playcalls, going for it on 4th down, etc...because all those decisions are made by guys who get paid millions of dollars to make them.

There are lots of poor coaches and evaluators that get paid millions of dollars, unfortunately.  Mornhinweg is pretty far from a guy whose capabilities and eye for talent I'm willing to just defer to out of professional respect.

Watching Collins, I see a good runner with a small pedigree.  He succeeded in his opportunity.  If I'm the Ravens and can resign him on a cheap deal, of course I'll do that.  If he proves it again, then we can talk about a multi year deal, but even if he's a pro bowler in 18 he's not going to suddenly become more valuable to another team than he will the Ravens.  They will be the leaders in the clubhouse to resign him, or they'll get a third round comp pick if he signs a big deal elsewhere.  And no matter how well he plays this year, he's not a Gurley-DJ-Elliot type talent that is worth backing up the truck for.

If however I'm a fantasy football guy looking for a RB that has potential to greatly outperform their draft position, I'm looking for guys that have a chance at 3 down duties with good talent and small comeptition.  So Collins, Drake, Ajayi are vet names that I'm very interested in come the 4th/5th/6th.

Collins fits the bill and he's available late 5th or 6th.  I'll take that plunge all day eryday.  And if Lamar Jackson gets starts, watch out.  See Alfred Morris circa 2012.

Ah yes, the old "infallible professional evaluator" argument.  The best guys always play.  Problem with this line of thinking is you're never allowed to question personnel decisions, draft choices, trades, playcalls, going for it on 4th down, etc...because all those decisions are made by guys who get paid millions of dollars to make them.

There are lots of poor coaches and evaluators that get paid millions of dollars, unfortunately.  Mornhinweg is pretty far from a guy whose capabilities and eye for talent I'm willing to just defer to out of professional respect.

Watching Collins, I see a good runner with a small pedigree.  He succeeded in his opportunity.  If I'm the Ravens and can resign him on a cheap deal, of course I'll do that.  If he proves it again, then we can talk about a multi year deal, but even if he's a pro bowler in 18 he's not going to suddenly become more valuable to another team than he will the Ravens.  They will be the leaders in the clubhouse to resign him, or they'll get a third round comp pick if he signs a big deal elsewhere.  And no matter how well he plays this year, he's not a Gurley-DJ-Elliot type talent that is worth backing up the truck for.

If however I'm a fantasy football guy looking for a RB that has potential to greatly outperform their draft position, I'm looking for guys that have a chance at 3 down duties with good talent and small comeptition.  So Collins, Drake, Ajayi are vet names that I'm very interested in come the 4th/5th/6th.

Collins fits the bill and he's available late 5th or 6th.  I'll take that plunge all day eryday.  And if Lamar Jackson gets starts, watch out.  See Alfred Morris circa 2012.
I'm not saying they get a free pass on everything, but I always find it odd how so many times "I know better than him" comes up so often, when in reality we know very little about the big picture than what really goes on behind the scenes. 

There are a lot of highly paid guys making these decisions. And they screw up, seemingly often.  And we're not even good enough to be one of them, otherwise we would be, so how much worse would we be at those jobs?

You mean they could have "just" paid him way more than they needed to?
if hes as good as you say he is, he would have been cheaper after 2017 than after 2018. his resume is not that impressive to warrant top 10 pay. but if he has a great season as many here predict, he may price himself out of Baltimores price range. 

There are a lot of highly paid guys making these decisions. And they screw up, seemingly often.  And we're not even good enough to be one of them, otherwise we would be, so how much worse would we be at those jobs?
that's the point I'm making

of course they make errors. everyone does. I imagine we would make more errors

if hes as good as you say he is, he would have been cheaper after 2017 than after 2018. his resume is not that impressive to warrant top 10 pay. but if he has a great season as many here predict, he may price himself out of Baltimores price range. 
Cheaper than following another good season yes, but way more risky. We're talking about a RB here.  I know there's a bit of a renaissance going on at the position, but teams aren't overpaying non-elite talent if they don't have to.

Let's be clear, he's not an elite talent.  He's not a JAG, either.  Between those two categories is a lot of room, and backs tend to either stick around for several reasons as a starting caliber guy or fade rather quickly.

In all actuality this is probably his career defining season, because once you get bumped back down from the level he's at, it's very difficult to get another chance.

So why on Earth would the Ravens pay extra for that?  You can have a guy for $600k playing like his career is on the line because, it is.  And if he succeeds, you will get the first crack at him because the rest of the league typically undervalues those types of players at this position.  And if someone does step up and offer more than they're willing to, NBD.  They just got two good seasons from a castoff for next to nothing and will scoop up a comp pick to use on his replacement.  That's a major win for the Ravens in roster construction and cap economics departments.

As far as fantasy value, particularly in dynasty, yeah it's a risk.  But everyone at that point in the draft has some warts.  I'd much MUCH rather spend a 2nd and 3rd on the WRs available in those rounds than guys like Mixon, McCaffrey, or Freeman.  

Ill take any one of Allen, Evans, Adams, or Hill plus Collins over a combo like McCaffrey and Alshon all.day.long.

I know there's a bit of a renaissance going on at the position, but teams aren't overpaying non-elite talent if they don't have to.
Really? Within the top 10:

4. McKinnon 7.5 mil

6. Lamar Miller 6.5 mil

8. Duke Johnson 5.2 mil

9. Giovanni Benard 5.1 mil

10. Carlos Hyde 5 mil

Really? Within the top 10:

4. McKinnon 7.5 mil

6. Lamar Miller 6.5 mil

8. Duke Johnson 5.2 mil

9. Giovanni Benard 5.1 mil

10. Carlos Hyde 5 mil
UFA

UFA

3rd round pick by Cleveland (aka draft capital spent).  Cap hit is actually 2.08M

2nd round draft pick by Cincy.  $4.2M in actuality.

UFA

None of these resemble the Collins situation at all.

UFA

UFA

3rd round pick by Cleveland (aka draft capital spent).  Cap hit is actually 2.08M

2nd round draft pick by Cincy.  $4.2M in actuality.

UFA

None of these resemble the Collins situation at all.
you said teams aren't overpaying non elite talent. that's simply not true. doesnt matter if they were a UFA or a 3rd round pick or anything. they are non elite talent being paid like top 10, 2 from one team even. 

Wat? I'm not arguing that he's a stud, I'm just pointing out that his contract has nothing to do with how they feel about him and everything to do with his contractual status.

you said teams aren't overpaying non elite talent. that's simply not true. doesnt matter if they were a UFA or a 3rd round pick or anything. they are non elite ralebt being paid like top 10, 2 from one team even. 
I said if they don't have to.

SF , Houston, and Cleveland had to buy those guys on the open market.  They didn't have a $600k tender in their pocket to use.

Cincy and Cleveland have sunk cost in Gio and Duke, both of whom have been productive over several seasons.  It's natural for teams to want to retain players they drafted that have panned out to at least some extent.

You're actually proving my point.  The Ravens have the luxury of seeing if Collins can handle the load for a year for practically free.  If he does, those are the types of contracts they'll have to pony up- which aren't too bad for a proven commodity.  What would be a problem is signing him to a multi year deal like that NOW and see him fail.  That's a much bigger setback.

Poke holes in the player if you like, but pinning your arguement on this point is just silly.  Signing him long term now is poor cap management.

You were doing better with "Coach says so".

you said teams aren't overpaying non elite talent. that's simply not true. doesnt matter if they were a UFA or a 3rd round pick or anything. they are non elite talent being paid like top 10, 2 from one team even. 
No, he said teams aren't overpaying non elite talent if they don't have to.

1. The length/size of contract is meaningless because he was RFA. He could get hurt this year and you don't want to be tired to a long term deal with a RB until you have to make it.

2. The difference in draft stock between Dixon and Collins is minimal. Dixon was fourth and Collins fifth. The odds of either round yielding a starting RB is small and indistinguishable and at this point, meaningless, because Collins has done it one year.

3. While Collins is not an entrenched super-star starter, and he COULD lose the starting job, he has it for now.  Dixon has his own warts including PED violations and serious injury.  Dixon has never had more than 13 carries in a game and didn't complete his first season.

I can't accept that Collins may not be a long term starter but for life of me I can't understand the Dixon love.  If Collins doesn't succeed it is almost guaranteed the team brings in someone new next year.

sure, Baltimore doesnt have to overpay non elite talent to stick with them for more than 1 season. they've got starting RBS knocking down their door

you risk alienating your player by signing him to a 1 year cheap deal when you really need help at rb. they could have locked him up long term without having to overpay him. could have signed him to a 3 year 10 million deal and it wouldn't have been over paying. 

sure, Baltimore doesnt have to overpay non elite talent to stick ae eith them for more than 1 season. 

you risk alienating your player by signing him to a 1 year cheap deal when you really need help at rb. they could have locked him up long term without having to overpay him. could have signed him to a 3 year 10 million deal and it wouldn't have been over paying. 
You’re grasping at straws. He didn’t earn a long-term contract last year 

sure, Baltimore doesnt have to overpay non elite talent to stick ae eith them for more than 1 season. 

Lol this isnt Kirk Cousins, it's a running back.  If he has a good year and feels alienated, then he'll get a good contract elsewhere, the Ravens will get a comp pick, and find another guy.

Or maybe he'll be grateful they gave him a shot in the league when no one else did.  They've probably already had this conversation.

Only way Baltimore can lose is if he turns into Gurley, and that ain't happening.

Dr. Dan said:
sure, Baltimore doesnt have to overpay non elite talent to stick with them for more than 1 season. they've got starting RBS knocking down their door

C'mon.

Signing exclusive rights free agents to LTC is simply not all that common in the NFL.  One could even call it very rare.  

According to this NFL.com page, there were 17 exclusive rights free agents in the NFL as of February 26th.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917501/article/2018-nfl-free-agents-by-team

How many got more than the one year deal (according to over the cap)?  ZERO.

Why?  Because at worst, they are still restricted free agents next year.  

A 3 year 10 million deal would be a pretty bad decision on the part of the Ravens.  

If Collins exceeds all expectations in 2018 and ends up a top 8 RB in the league, it means they will get it for $650k this year, at worst 4.2 million next year (predicted cost of a 1st round tender) and maybe 6 million for 2020 (only 8 RBs in the league make over 6 million a year).  So basically by giving him the 10.5 million now, they are paying him just a few hundred thousand less than about the max, and you are paying the money earlier than you need to, never a good thing unless you are getting something great in return.  A 3 year 10.5 million contract gives them only one additional year with the player and the rate is about what they would pay that player if he hits the summit of their expectations..

By waiting (at least) a year to sign an LTC, they now have injury and salary cap protection and one more year to evaluate the player.

There is zero benefit to singing Collins to a long term deal now unless he (foolishly) was willing to sign for say 4 million for 3 years.  Otherwise they are much smarter EVEN IF THEY LOVE HIM to wait at least one more year before talking LTC.  

C'mon.

Signing exclusive rights free agents to LTC is simply not all that common in the NFL.  One could even call it very rare.  

According to this NFL.com page, there were 17 exclusive rights free agents in the NFL as of February 26th.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917501/article/2018-nfl-free-agents-by-team

How many got more than the one year deal (according to over the cap)?  ZERO.

Why?  Because at worst, they are still restricted free agents next year.  

A 3 year 10 million deal would be a pretty bad decision on the part of the Ravens.  

If Collins exceeds all expectations in 2018 and ends up a top 8 RB in the league, it means they will get it for $650k this year, at worst 4.2 million next year (predicted cost of a 1st round tender) and maybe 6 million for 2020 (only 8 RBs in the league make over 6 million a year).  So basically by giving him the 10.5 million now, they are paying him just a few hundred thousand less than about the max, and you are paying the money earlier than you need to, never a good thing unless you are getting something great in return.  A 3 year 10.5 million contract gives them only one additional year with the player and the rate is about what they would pay that player if he hits the summit of their expectations..

By waiting (at least) a year to sign an LTC, they now have injury and salary cap protection and one more year to evaluate the player.

There is zero benefit to singing Collins to a long term deal now unless he (foolishly) was willing to sign for say 4 million for 3 years.  Otherwise they are much smarter EVEN IF THEY LOVE HIM to wait at least one more year before talking LTC.  
I was unaware of the restricted FA status for next year. Yes, then it makes sense because you can still put a 1st round tender on him and paying him less over the long run while still figuring it out. If he was an UFA I can't see that paying off long term. 

Preaching a modicum of caution based upon observable results is not hating.

I'm buying, definitely buying, but won't overpay (IMO).

Which way would you lean on an offer of Alex Collins for a 2019 1st and 2nd (probably in the .05-.08 range)? .25 per touch if it matters.

Which way would you lean on an offer of Alex Collins for a 2019 1st and 2nd (probably in the .05-.08 range)? .25 per touch if it matters.
If you believe Collins will be successful as the primary RB for the Ravens this year, that's selling pretty low.  If you believe the future RB of the Ravens isn't on the roster yet and Collins will fail, that's a steal to get the picks.

Personally, I believe in what I saw in Collins last year and I'd rather take my chances on the 24 year old RB who's already looked good in the NFL and has a job to lose right now.  

I'm in a one player keeper , can't keep a player drafted in the first 3 rds.

It's down to Ertz for a 5th or Collins for a 12th (free agent pickup)

Keeping Ertz now but don't have to decide until draft which is quite aways off 

I'm in a one player keeper , can't keep a player drafted in the first 3 rds.

It's down to Ertz for a 5th or Collins for a 12th (free agent pickup)

Keeping Ertz now but don't have to decide until draft which is quite aways off 
tough call. I feel like Collins is better value. you might be keeping ertz 2 or 3 rounds cheaper than it would cost you, but you could be keeping Collinsnfor 6 or 8 rounds cheaper than it would cost you. 

but, Ertz may be the better advantage at his position. I'd probably go with ertz and use your earlier picks to get a pair of top rbs. tough call. I have to make a similar one. I can keep 3 and Collins is a 12th rounder. Jimmy G 13th, JuJu 14th. Probably going with those 3

an interesting take. not sure I agree with all of this but its important to weigh the criticisms

Dixon will be starting by week 1-3

The reason I’m pushing Dixon is not that I like his talent (and I do). No, it’s more sinister or dark than that. I’ll make the talent case in a moment, but the window of bigger opportunity with Dixon in 2018 lies with Alex Collins

. It’s the Alex Collins factor that adds rocket fuel to the Dixon case for 2018.

Folks, Alex Collins

is not the future at running back for the Baltimore Ravens. He won’t last 2018 as the main starter. He’s not a good/great feature back in the NFL. He’s a marginal talent (4.59 runner at 217 pounds at the NFL Combine) with all kinds of issues that started getting exposed as his 2017 mini-breakout season wore on.

You have to understand – Collins is a below-average athlete at running back and he has some of the worst ‘hands’ in the league. A constant fumble issue and well below average as a receiver out of the backfield. He’s a nice, ‘try hard’ runner who will give you all he’s got, but he doesn’t ‘got’ much to give – which is why Seattle cut him before the 2017 season.

Collins came out of the gates fast with the Ravens in 2017 on limited/rotational/backup carries. He breathed a little life into the running game and took over the main starting job a few weeks into the season. As teams adjusted to this new starting RB/Collins, his numbers started to fall – 5.98 yards per carry his first seven games with Baltimore in 2017 (80 carries) and then a plummet to 3.75 yards per carry his last nine games (132 carries).

As the Ravens tried to expand Collins in the passing game later in the season, he caught only 10 of 18 passes (55.5% connection rate) in his final three games with a heavier target opportunity. He struggled with the passing game basics too many times.

Collins fumbled four times in 2017 and was quasi-benched in-game a few times early on in 2017 because of ball security. Collins has fumbled six times in 277 career NFL touches – a fumble every 46.2 touches (a fumble every two+ games for a ‘main carry’ guy). Above all things, coaches hate fumbles more than anything. Collins has too many times forced himself off the field with untimely fumbles. It’s a known issue and the antennae are up with the coaches – and he’s not that super-talented where you take some bad with the good/great. He’s easy to bench and replace.

Collins fumbled the ball 16 times in college over three years – a fumble every 43.8 touches.

Collins is a stiff but tough runner with poor hands and instincts in the passing game and is a fumble problem. Kenneth Dixon

is pretty much the opposite of all of that.

Users who are viewing this thread