What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (6 Viewers)

Just watched Smokey and the Bandit with my 15 year old son this weekend. He was laughing his butt off.
Great movie.

I've a friend who claims that Cannonball Run doesn't hold up. He says he watched it a year or two ago and it was bad.

I find that hard to believe.

Saw that Lee Corso was his roommate in college at FSU. Wonder what he will do this weekend on the ESPN College Football Pre-Game show.

I loved Burt Reynolds sense of humor, and enjoyed some of his movies. He was one of those guys that wore a mustache well. RIP Burt

Not a fan of most action films anyway, cocky, rock-jawed, knock-your-block-off leading men were usually an obstacle to me having a good time in a movie theater. Burt Reynolds was one of the rare exceptions. RIP -

RIP, Burt.  This is one that probably could have been worthy of its own thread.  I still can't pass up watching Deliverance every time I happen to catch it on TV

I don't know why, but I must've watched Hooper 20 times on HBO in the early '80s. Favorite scene:

[Terry Bradshaw and a bunch of roughnecks get up in Hooper & friends' grills]

"Lessee ... we got seven guys here, and you all got ... one, two, three ... twelve guys. Looks like y'all are gonna have to go back to Houston to get some more guys!"

[One of cinema's epic barfights ensues. Hooper, Jan Michael Vincent, and Roscoe P. Coltrane give as good as they get, but end up bustin' the sugar glass in the end. I think #12 loses a tooth somewhere.

Then Hooper's crew AND Terry's crew all head back to Burt's house to drink it off and watch old Super 8 videos of Hooper's stunts :D  ]

I don't know why, but I must've watched Hooper 20 times on HBO in the early '80s. Favorite scene:

[Terry Bradshaw and a bunch of roughnecks get up in Hooper & friends' grills]

"Lessee ... we got seven guys here, and you all got ... one, two, three ... twelve guys. Looks like y'all are gonna have to go back to Houston to get some more guys!"

[One of cinema's epic barfights ensues. Hooper, Jan Michael Vincent, and Roscoe P. Coltrane give as good as they get, but end up bustin' the sugar glass in the end. I think #12 loses a tooth somewhere.

Then Hooper's crew AND Terry's crew all head back to Burt's house to drink it off and watch old Super 8 videos of Hooper's stunts :D  ]
This looks like a job for the Golden Helmet.

Last thing I remember Burt Reynolds in was a couple of guest spots as the owner of the strip club on My Name is Earl. He along with Norm McDonald as his son nailed those roles.
Burt as Chubby and Norm as Lil’ Chubby is some of the best comedy I’ve ever witnessed on television. Anyone who hasn’t watched My Name is Earl and especially these episodes is missing out.

I loved Burt Reynolds sense of humor, and enjoyed some of his movies. He was one of those guys that wore a mustache well. RIP Burt
I was reading about the lifelong friendship he had with Jon Voight, which began during the filming of Deliverance. Burt enjoyed teasing Voight's "method" acting. There was a scene in the movie where both characters were supposed to be exhausted and out of breath. Before the cameras started rolling, Voight sprinted up and down the road a few times, dropped to the ground and did twenty push-ups. When he stood up, he was panting, dripping with sweat.

Burt, who sat in a chair watching Voight, got up, took a water bottle and spritzed himself, and simply started panting, for the same effect. 

I was reading about the lifelong friendship he had with Jon Voight, which began during the filming of Deliverance. Burt enjoyed teasing Voight's "method" acting. There was a scene in the movie where both characters were supposed to be exhausted and out of breath. Before the cameras started rolling, Voight sprinted up and down the road a few times, dropped to the ground and did twenty push-ups. When he stood up, he was panting, dripping with sweat.

Burt, who sat in a chair watching Voight, got up, took a water bottle and spritzed himself, and simply started panting, for the same effect. 
This story also illustrates Reynolds' acting approach.  Oscar likes actors like Voight but the screen loved Reynolds.  Burt made it all look effortless. 

At his best, he inhabited the characters he portrayed.  Sure the Bandit wasn't Hamlet but Reynolds showed more range than he was given credit for when he was a big star.  He eventually gained some respect for his acting chops as he aged into character roles.

Bustin in to the drive-in in the trunk of a car to see his movies in high school

Deliverance

Longest Yard

White Lightning 

Gator

Hell of a run for his day

Huge huge fan growing up. The women loved him and his personality was so much more fun than the stoic actors of his time. 

I think I’ll watch Gator later tonight and sauté old Burt with a   :banned:

Not a celeb but a fraternity brother of mine, at the ripe age of 51, died yesterday of a heart attack.  Tough day.

this story bears an uncanny resemblance to the legendary story of "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Oliver.  Hoffman disputes it, of course, but I recall Olivier's wife - Joan Plowright - telling the story during a TV appeance too. Who knows, right?

Didn't hear about Burt until this morning and my first thought was "If there IS an afterlife, somewhere right now Dom DeLuise is laughing uncontrollably while urinating down his own leg as Burt Reynolds slaps him across the face repeatedly with his own fat guy hat."

And that made me kind of chuckle.  That was kind of nice.

Users who are viewing this thread