What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (6 Viewers)

Uruk-Hai said:
RIP Bill Daily from I Dream Of Jeannie and The Bob Newhart Show.
The Kramer/Fred Willard of his day. TV editors were a little more strict about eliminating the evidence of breaks back then, but many were the Daily scenes where everyone else in the scene was either smiling or exhausted by a high number of takes caused by his riffing. That's one of my favorite kinds of talent. RIP -

Alex Spanos died today. 

I fully expect the city of los angeles to throw a parade for Spanos and his family because they brought the chargers back to los angeles where they belong. Either that or they will shrug their shoulders with a collective, "Who? I don't really give a ####." Quite a sports legacy that family built in la.

Guess it just goes to show, you can flee to the city of angels..... but we all know where you are going.

I’d been speculating.  I noticed his futures spiked since earlier today.  I don’t know about his 5 year yield.
A little known fact about Greenspan is that he was a tremendous singer.

Heck, one time he held a two-year note.

didn't know about this guy or his story until today. RIP

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Norway’s prime minister says World War II saboteur Joachim Roenneberg, who headed the four-man team that blew up a plant producing heavy water which Nazi Germany could have used to produce nuclear weapons, is dead at 99.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg says Roenneberg was “one of our finest resistance fighters” whose “courage contributed to what has been referred to as the most successful sabotage campaign” in Norway.

Roenneberg, then 23, was tapped by the SOE — Britain’s wartime intelligence-gathering and sabotage unit — to destroy key parts of the heavily guarded plant in southern Norway in February 1943.

The operation — during which not a single shot was fired — has been recounted in books, documentaries, films and TV series.

didn't know about this guy or his story until today. RIP

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Norway’s prime minister says World War II saboteur Joachim Roenneberg, who headed the four-man team that blew up a plant producing heavy water which Nazi Germany could have used to produce nuclear weapons, is dead at 99.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg says Roenneberg was “one of our finest resistance fighters” whose “courage contributed to what has been referred to as the most successful sabotage campaign” in Norway.

Roenneberg, then 23, was tapped by the SOE — Britain’s wartime intelligence-gathering and sabotage unit — to destroy key parts of the heavily guarded plant in southern Norway in February 1943.

The operation — during which not a single shot was fired — has been recounted in books, documentaries, films and TV series.
I saw a really good show about this on one of the history channels. The saboteurs were a mixture of elite soldiers (who knew nothing about nukes) and scientists (who had to learn how to shoot, ski, skydive and mountain climb in just a few weeks). The weapons plant was located on a cliff face with just one bridge crossing the gorge. The plan was to cross the bridge in the middle of the night, but they discovered that it was too heavily guarded. So, with no other option, they scaled down the 600-foot ravine, crossed the icy river, and then climbed back up the cliff to get to the plant. After the raid, they skied 250 miles to Sweden and escaped capture.

I saw a really good show about this on one of the history channels. The saboteurs were a mixture of elite soldiers (who knew nothing about nukes) and scientists (who had to learn how to shoot, ski, skydive and mountain climb in just a few weeks). The weapons plant was located on a cliff face with just one bridge crossing the gorge. The plan was to cross the bridge in the middle of the night, but they discovered that it was too heavily guarded. So, with no other option, they scaled down the 600-foot ravine, crossed the icy river, and then climbed back up the cliff to get to the plant. After the raid, they skied 250 miles to Sweden and escaped capture.
Now that's hardcore.

wish the article had given more of this detail- that's amazing!

The movie, Heroes of Telemark, was on either TCM or Movies! in the wee hours just last week. I fell back asleep (i usually go to bed with one of those channels on) but it looked pretty good.
The Heavy Waters War (Norwegian series) episode 1

lmk if you find the other 7

nm - NO subtitles, as advertised

Last edited by a moderator:
The great Tony Joe White has passed away at 75.

Wrote the Elvis hit Polk Salad Annie - which was also covered by many . His version hit #8.. And a Rainy Night in Georgia - and appropriately it looks like it might be a Rainy Night here in Georgia tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody just showed me a news alert on her phone that Julia Louis Dreyfuss is dead.

I have not seen any further confirmation

Notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger was found dead at a federal prison in West Virginia Tuesday — on the morning after he arrived — and the FBI has launched an investigation, federal officials said.

Bulger, 89, was found unresponsive about 8:20 a.m. at the high-security penitentiary USP Hazelton in West Virginia, according to a Justice Department statement.

"Life-saving measures were initiated immediately by responding staff," the statement said.

But he was subsequently pronounced dead by the Preston County Medical Examiner, the Justice Department said.

No other staff or inmates were injured, officials said.

Bulger had arrived at the West Virginia prison on Monday.

Notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger was found dead at a federal prison in West Virginia Tuesday — on the morning after he arrived — and the FBI has launched an investigation, federal officials said.

Bulger, 89, was found unresponsive about 8:20 a.m. at the high-security penitentiary USP Hazelton in West Virginia, according to a Justice Department statement.

"Life-saving measures were initiated immediately by responding staff," the statement said.

But he was subsequently pronounced dead by the Preston County Medical Examiner, the Justice Department said.

No other staff or inmates were injured, officials said.

Bulger had arrived at the West Virginia prison on Monday.
I was trying to dig up the thread from when he was captured in 2011, but the search function came up empty.

Users who are viewing this thread