Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

20 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

No conflict here, he can burn in hell with him forcing his sons to have sex with his girlfriend when they were 10 and 13 respectively. #### that guy

Wat?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandmother passed yesterday.  No celebrity but she did lead an amazing life and knew Ike and Tina Turner and met Mick and Keith at the infamous Hell's Angels concert. She was 106 years old th

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by

My 14 year old black lab, Duke.  RIP

hammerin hank was the best of the best who beat ruth at a time when a lot of folks sure didnt want to see that happen and made his life hell as a result i am inspired by how he handled himself with dignity and was hard working and a gentleman and he was  one of my old mans favorite hometown milwaukee braves along with spahny and burdette what a loss take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Man, two of the all time MLB greats and great humans lost this week. 

The number of baseball HOFers that have died in the the last 10 months is just staggering.  

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

The number of baseball HOFers that have died in the the last 10 months is just staggering.  

I was just thinking the same thing: Hank Aaron, Lou Brock, Joe Morgan, Al Kaline.  Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Phil Niekro, and Don Sutton on the mound.  Tommy Lasorda managing.  Probably left someone out.

• Sad 3

i wasnt a Henry Aaron fan for a long time. he was nowhere near as glamorous as Say Hey Willie or the Mick or Koufax and, since his worldchamps year happened just before i started paying attention to baseball, his teams never seemed to matter much when i thought a really great player would change that. when Mays didnt catch the Babe @ 714, i actually resented Aaron taking up the chase and demystifying my favorite sports record by winning it with doggedness instead of brilliance.

then i saw him in the spotlight of the record chase and how dangerous the spotlight still was for a black man, especially on a southern team. i didnt see the fire of self that drove #42 & #24 thru their spotlights and great black leaders to the fore or even the more mature smolder of Bill Russell & Jim Brown. i saw, "i got a job to do here, and nobody's gonna change that" and realized that staying on one's path is a power perhaps more compelling than storming thru barriers. Aaron brought the same equanimity to his executive and public relations work after his playing career. he was a man like not many men are men. RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I was coming to post this as well, always one of my favorites as he was one of Alabama's own. He handled such a nasty situation with the ultimate in class and dignity.  One of the titans of the game, and of life.  RIP Henry.

• Like 1

Just heard the news - this one hurts.  As a life-long Atlantan I had the bad fortune of following horrible Braves teams throughout my youth.  My Dad would tell me about Hank and it was a badge of honor for us to have him be the HR King - we had little else going for us at the time other than being on The Superstation.  I would listen to the Braves as a kid on the radio with my Grandfather and had the good fortune of being selected through a family friend to be a part of a Delta Airlines - Toys for Tots photo shoot with The Hammer that was in the AJC (local Atlanta paper).  I'd be lying if I said I remember much about the encounter or that it was magical but nevertheless I was in awe of the man.  Years later I remember reading about what happened with him during the HR chase and again was in awe - but this time about what a wonderful human being he was and not just a prodigious baseball talent.  I still have the baseball he signed for me that day.  It's one of my most cherished non-family possessions.  The man was a titan and who I consider to be the greatest player to ever live.  I will be drinking in his honor tonight.

RIP Hammer

• Like 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tony Jabroni said:

Larry King passed.

PIers Morgan, um, tribute to Larry King:

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan

Larry King was a hero of mine until we fell out after I replaced him at CNN & he said my show was ‘like watching your mother-in-law go over a cliff in your new Bentley.’ (He married 8 times so a mother-in-law expert) But he was a brilliant broadcaster & masterful TV interviewer.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1352969095990423555

18 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

:confused:

Is this where we post mean spirited tweets about recently deceased people???

BE BETTER

Piers Morgan's comments were inappropriate and disturbed a lot of people and he is trending at the moment on Twitter because of it:

https://twitter.com/search?q="Piers Morgan"&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Piers Morgan's comments were inappropriate and disturbed a lot of people and he is trending at the moment on Twitter because of it:

https://twitter.com/search?q="Piers Morgan"&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Apropos Twitter comment:

Piers Morgan is the kind of ####### other #######s look at, and say, "now there's an #######!"

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

I ran into Larry King several years back, around 2009 or 2010, outside of the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland. I exited the ride, and there he was in line to get in, hunched over, holding this little plastic lazer pistol with both hands. It took me several seconds to understand what I was looking at. 

He was with some younger woman who I later found out wasn’t his current wife. They filed for divorce months later but I guess reconciled.

Then he started doing shows for Russia Today. Crazy life he had.

• Laughing 1
9 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

He just wanted to be able to keep doing live TV interviews and apparently didn't care about the platform. 

Edited by squistion
3 hours ago, Tony Jabroni said:

Larry King passed.

as bad a season for olskool broadcasters as olskool baseballers......

when i was in radio, i had the good fortune to be mentored briefly by Boston's best broadcaster, a fellow named Norm Nathan. as a child of the transistor radio generation,  i adored people who could hold my attention and groove my imagination with the chrome glint of their voice and presence, so this was a special thrill to me. to instantly convert information into perspective is as brilliant & poetic to me as the best athlete or musical soloist. Nathan had it, King had it, fewfewfew people have it anymore. every time i am assaulted by what little powdered oblivion the selftrons in present-day thrones of edification can toss at us, real broadcasters become more gigantic. RIP, sir. Paradise Cloud, Florida, you're on the air -

• Like 2

Saw Larry King speak at some "Success" seminar back in the 90s. About 7 or 8 motivational gurus of the time and then Larry got up and told three stories about the mob scaring him s###less that were hilarious. Only memorable part of the day. RIP master storyteller. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, McBokonon said:

I ran into Larry King several years back, around 2009 or 2010, outside of the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland. I exited the ride, and there he was in line to get in, hunched over, holding this little plastic lazer pistol with both hands. It took me several seconds to understand what I was looking at. 

He was with some younger woman who I later found out wasn’t his current wife. They filed for divorce months later but I guess reconciled.

That's a great visual. :lol:

On 1/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, Tom Servo said:

Hank Aaron - the real HR king - passed away this morning at age 86. 

this item from Peter King's column touched me this morning:

2. HANK AARON AND THE BROWNS. The man who broke Babe Ruth’s career home-run record, once thought unbreakable died Friday in Atlanta. Aaron was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. So huge that he used to buy single tickets in the Dawg Pound (the end zone with the crazy fans), fly from his Atlanta home to Cleveland on three or four Sunday mornings every autumn, bundle up, sit anonymously and alone in the stands, and fly back to Atlanta Sunday evening. Who knew? Ernie Accorsi, the GM of the Browns in the eighties, did. One summer day in 1986, at Browns training camp in Kirtland, Ohio, Accorsi thought he spied Aaron behind the ropes, watching practice with fans. Accorsi, a huge baseball fan, sidled up near Aaron and introduced himself. “I know you!” Aaron said. “It’s an honor to meet you.” That started a relationship that Accorsi, of course, was thrilled to have. “He told me he sat in the Dawg Pound, alone, for games, and I told him, ‘Hank, we can get you better seats than that.’ He said, ‘I don’t want ‘em. I love sitting there.’ “

Accorsi said Aaron became a Browns fan early in life because they were the first team, under Paul Brown, to sign and feature black stars—Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Len Ford, all of whom earned busts in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Aaron subscribed to the Cleveland Plain Dealer by mail to follow the team during the season. And once every week or 10 days, Accorsi’s phone would ring, and Aaron would want some scoop on his team. “He’s everything everybody has said about him,” Accorsi said. “A gentleman. Completely humble. And he loved his Browns.”

• Like 4
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Cloris Leachman, who played old ladies for 50 years, dead at 94.

Those who are late DO NOT GET FRUITCUP!!!!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
32 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Andy just posted about The Last Picture Show in the movie thread a few days ago, and I was thinking that was due a re-watch. Going to have to make that happen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sea Duck said:

too good. many folks know how much i revere the great comic performer Zero Mostel for his touch with the beats, notes, pitch, volume, gestures of comedy. Miss Leachman came the closest to matching him of any other comedic actor i've seen and was a far more adventurous improviser, from what i understand. thankyouthankyouthankyou. :bow: RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Doug B said:

Somewhere, a horse nervously whinnies for the last time. RIP, Ms. Leachman.

Go to the 3:30 mark of this video: 🎥  Cloris Leachman INTERVIEW

In this interview that was conducted at her home which so happens to be located right next to a horse farm a four legged neighbor whinnies as the interview is being conducted.

Check out Cloris's reaction....  PRICELESS!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
23 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Cloris Leachman, Charlton Heston, Paul Lynde, Charlotte Rae, and Claude Akins were all classmates at Northwestern University. 

That must have been some school play they put on. 

Other alumni includes Zoey Deschanel,  Meghan Markle, Julia Louis-Dreyfus  &  Ann-Margret.