What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (2 Viewers)

I know I sweat like a horse when I excercise like this and although I didn't notice that the hotel bikes looked too beat up because of it, it didn't really seem too easy to clean/wipe off. I'm talking about the actual bike part underneath my drippy bits, not the handlebars, seat et al. 

For those of you that have had one for awhile, how have you maintained it over time? Does it start to loosen up or creak at all in the time since you had it? 

Sorry for the dumb question. 

Are you saying this is because the Peloton measures power output? In wattage? And the workaround solution doesn't have a way to measure power? When I was training for traithlons, I had a Powertap on my bike for this.
The Peleton calculates an output total for you, which is basically a % of cadence (how fast you're going) times resistance (how hard you're pedaling).  If you're at the right cadence and resistance?  I can't see how the average workout is justifiably different.

As for resistance on my bike?  It's the same knob and mechanics.  I know what 0% is.  I know what 100% is.  They will tell you a quarter turn is 3-5%.  They'll describe 25% as "you can start to feel the road underneath you" or 50% as "your quads should be burning, if not then add another 5%".  Is it to the penny?  No, but for the 2,000 of extra cash in my pocket, I don't mind being at 27% instead of 30%.

I would say, if you're a super athlete that's into your times and metrics and track all that stuff?  My set up is clearly not designed for that.  I would argue that I get as good a workout as 90% of the Peleton users though.

The Peleton calculates an output total for you, which is basically a % of cadence (how fast you're going) times resistance (how hard you're pedaling).  If you're at the right cadence and resistance?  I can't see how the average workout is justifiably different.

As for resistance on my bike?  It's the same knob and mechanics.  I know what 0% is.  I know what 100% is.  They will tell you a quarter turn is 3-5%.  They'll describe 25% as "you can start to feel the road underneath you" or 50% as "your quads should be burning, if not then add another 5%".  Is it to the penny?  No, but for the 2,000 of extra cash in my pocket, I don't mind being at 27% instead of 30%.

I would say, if you're a super athlete that's into your times and metrics and track all that stuff?  My set up is clearly not designed for that.  I would argue that I get as good a workout as 90% of the Peleton users though.
Thanks. Does the Peloton not calculate actual wattage output? Or are you saying what Peloton calculates is more a thing where it's an estimation based on cadence and resistance?

Or maybe a better way to ask:  When you say the peloton calculates an output total, that's the power you're generating?

I know I sweat like a horse when I excercise like this and although I didn't notice that the hotel bikes looked too beat up because of it, it didn't really seem too easy to clean/wipe off. I'm talking about the actual bike part underneath my drippy bits, not the handlebars, seat et al. 

For those of you that have had one for awhile, how have you maintained it over time? Does it start to loosen up or creak at all in the time since you had it? 
We've had our 3 yrs and 4 months, between my wife and I it gets used more than one time/day on average. We do nothing to maintain it but a quick wipe of all the sweaty parts after a ride. The bike itself rides like the day we got it. The only thing that is a little fluky is the monitor doesn't always want to go on the first time ew press the button, or it will flash on then go off on its own - loose cables or something.

we don't have a warranty on it though I wish we did, and intended to have one, but misunderstood the window for extending it once the first year was over. I called them just inside of a year after the day we had it delivered with the intent of getting the extended warranty but was told the clock started ticking the day we ordered it, not the day it was delivered. so that sucked, but thankfully we haven't needed it. I think the first thing to go though will be something electronic rather than the bike itself.

Thanks. Does the Peloton not calculate actual wattage output? Or are you saying what Peloton calculates is more a thing where it's an estimation based on cadence and resistance?

Or maybe a better way to ask:  When you say the peloton calculates an output total, that's the power you're generating?
It calculates it in watts and tracks your total output in KJ

https://www.reddit.com/r/pelotoncycle/comments/b0bulz/how_the_peloton_bike_calculates_output_and_speed/

Output (Power) Calculation

Output ~= (Cadence - 35) * (Resistance/100)2.5 * 24

Output is essentially the scaled result of cadence times a positively-power-scaled resistance factor. At a constant cadence, as you add more and more resistance you get back larger and larger increments of output increase.

Wife got the call today, bike will be delivered Monday morning.

Received my shoes yesterday, they fit well. Wife is picky about shoes, she wants to use her own running shoes for now, so peloton offered to send toe cages on the house. :thumbup:

Awesome. Thanks Buddy. Super helpful.

For the guys who are fans of Peloton, what do you see as the downside of the hacked version like this?
I pretty much strictly do Power Zone rides and I don't think this would show the output number you need?

I'm cheap.

Anyone try the less expensive competitors? Echelon? Horizon? Something else?
I’m not cheap but decided to buy a NordicTrac S221i and I honestly like it better than the Peleton. I went to Florida for a few weeks of vacation and the resort had a peleton that I used several times. It does NOT have an incline/decline feature and you have to manually adjust your tension. The S221i does all of that for you, or you can manually change your incline and tension with a button. It also has a great fan that surprised me how strong it is. New these are $1999 on amazon shipped but I bought mine from a liquidator in Savannah and got mine delivered for under $1200. Zero hours (never used) but box was damaged when first shipped so it was a return they couldn’t sell as new. If anyone is interested glad to give you guys info. We’ve had ours for a week tomorrow and my oldest son, daughter, and wife have all used it at least a couple of times (I’ve used it every day) Love it so far! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife got the call today, bike will be delivered Monday morning.

Received my shoes yesterday, they fit well. Wife is picky about shoes, she wants to use her own running shoes for now, so peloton offered to send toe cages on the house. :thumbup:
I use toe cages on the Peleton at my work gym. It works just fine though I do prefer the clip ins when running out of the saddle. 

I turned to Peloton when my running career came to a sudden halt, and for me Power Zone rides provide the best way to replicate my former running routine of a couple of easy/medium/hard runs per week. Wilpers has been my guy, but yeah, his music is a little bit weak. I'd rather suffer through that than Morton's overdone singing and hand-movement theatrics, though I think he's toned that stuff down some. I'm also pumped to see Christine D has joined the team. She is kind of the female version of Matt, an actual competitive athlete with a no-nonsense approach to her instruction, putting on a show not a priority. Music leaves something to be desired though.

Along the same vein, if you like PZ classes try Jess King's Sweat Steady rides. Similar to PZ, with long intervals of increasing intensity. She does one 30 and one 45 min version of these every week, huge library of them available on-demand. They are a grind but leave you feeling afterwards like you got some work done.
Ok, just did one of these rides (half hour version) on your recommendation.  It was a brutal ride and I set a PR for it and was probably one of the most challenging rides I have done so far.  Will do one of them again but will need to be a bit more prepared for it next time as I was a bit taken by surprise.  

Really enjoyed my ride today. It was a powerzone ride without the title. I try to ride every teacher so this was a welcome surprise. If you want substance with no frills, this is it. 

45 minute pro ride with Christian Vande Velde from January 16th. 

Recommend highly. 

Today marks 1 week with the bike. Done 4 rides, just starting with the 6 week beginner program, no live rides yet. Today’s ride kicked my butt, but I will say that the 4 rides are 4 more workouts then I had done in the year prior.   Really liking the convenience factor.  

Really enjoyed my ride today. It was a powerzone ride without the title. I try to ride every teacher so this was a welcome surprise. If you want substance with no frills, this is it. 

45 minute pro ride with Christian Vande Velde from January 16th. 

Recommend highly. 
I have not done one of his rides but he is an ex-professional cyclist.  Think he was top 5 in tour de France once.  I had heard some of his rides are the most difficult ones on the bike so had not tried one yet.  Though since pz it is designed individually by default.  

I have not done one of his rides but he is an ex-professional cyclist.  Think he was top 5 in tour de France once.  I had heard some of his rides are the most difficult ones on the bike so had not tried one yet.  Though since pz it is designed individually by default.  
Im kind of bummed. He only has 19 classes available. Yes, he mentioned the pro aspect when you start the class. I stayed in my zones. He talked about his metrics. He was like 100 over what I was doing. Maybe more, lol

Im kind of bummed. He only has 19 classes available. Yes, he mentioned the pro aspect when you start the class. I stayed in my zones. He talked about his metrics. He was like 100 over what I was doing. Maybe more, lol
He’s not a regular instructor, more like a special guest star who comes every six months or so and does a few classes. There’s another one or two pro cyclists who do same, there’s a ride-type category that will give you a list.

Got mine on Monday, took my 4th ride this morning. I'm totally out of shape and new to spin. I've started with 20 min beginner classes before going to work, just to get my feet wet. Alot of fun. Today though, I quickly realized that I didnt choose a beginner class. I guess it was just a normal class, but it was a nice big jump for me. Beginner classes were ok, but today's class really pushed me. 

Loving it so far, love jumping out of bed and being able to ride in just minutes. 

Question for Powezone riders

When I was riding with Matt, he never really spoke about a difference in cadence in relationship to zones (at least in the 5 or so rides Ive done with him). However, my rides with Christine and Christian both discussed. 

Is it "better" to have a high resistance and lower cadence (60-70) or lower resistance and higher cadence (90-100)

The Christian ride mixed it up which I liked and allowed me to power through. I am also thinking that I need to take the test again even though its only been about 2 weeks. 

Question for Powezone riders

When I was riding with Matt, he never really spoke about a difference in cadence in relationship to zones (at least in the 5 or so rides Ive done with him). However, my rides with Christine and Christian both discussed. 

Is it "better" to have a high resistance and lower cadence (60-70) or lower resistance and higher cadence (90-100)

The Christian ride mixed it up which I liked and allowed me to power through. I am also thinking that I need to take the test again even though its only been about 2 weeks. 
Lower cadence/higher resistance is more taxing on your muscles, higher cadence/lower resistance is more taxing on your cardiovascular system. Neither is "better", it's good to work both angles. However for most people it is easier to maintain a similarly high output with high cadence/low resistance than it is the other way around. Matt does talk about it sometimes, and he works both into most workouts.

Lower cadence/higher resistance is more taxing on your muscles, higher cadence/lower resistance is more taxing on your cardiovascular system. Neither is "better", it's good to work both angles. However for most people it is easier to maintain a similarly high output with high cadence/low resistance than it is the other way around. Matt does talk about it sometimes, and he works both into most workouts.
Thanks. I actually find when I am low cadence, high resistance I am not really working as hard as I should be which makes me think my first test was not accurate. It did change a bit when I went high cadence though

Bought the extended warranty today.  They sure don't make it easy to buy, and that tells me that it may be needed.

Downloaded the Peleton app and started the 30-day trial as I was travelling and staying at a hotel that didn't have Peleton bikes, like most.

My usual go-to workout when travelling is 35-45 minutes on the treadmill so I decided to view a 30-minute Peleton workout while running. This is the first time I did it. It was a relatively easy interval workout with intervals getting up to 10-10.5 mph for 20-30 seconds at elevation up to 8%. Having the trainer on my iPhone in front of me to push certainly made the workout more taxing than what I would have done on my own, usually 6 mph - 8mph with elevation between 1-2%.

Looking forward to my bonus coming in March and I may take the plunge (for the bike, not the treadmill). I prefer running outside when I can but when I am travelling in cold climes, I just hit the treadmill in the gym.

How much was it and did you need to call them or something?
The extended warranty of 27 months is less than $250 after tax.  I did have to call, and there isn’t a clear prompt.  Follow the phone tree to bike sales.  They ask for phone number and date purchased. 

Wife and I are about to take the plunge. 

Heart rate monitor? Needed? If so, one for each of us or one is good for both?

Not needed

But I wear it every ride. The peloton one sucks. Buy a different one. 

Depends on if you care if its sweaty if you ride right after her. 

They get pretty gross so I’d get two if you both want to use it. But I’ve only used mine a couple times, and I wouldn’t buy them again if given the choice. I don’t really have any need or interest in tracking heart rate. 

Not needed

But I wear it every ride. The peloton one sucks. Buy a different one. 

Depends on if you care if its sweaty if you ride right after her. 
Agree that the Peleton one sucks. I use the monitor on my Apple Watch, but it doesn’t sync to the Peleton. 

Obviously only a few days so the novelty is still there, but I can’t tell you the last time I worked out 3 days in a row.

If it does nothing else than force my fat ### off the couch 3-4 days a week just so I feel like the expense is justified it will have been worth it 😂

Obviously only a few days so the novelty is still there, but I can’t tell you the last time I worked out 3 days in a row.

If it does nothing else than force my fat ### off the couch 3-4 days a week just so I feel like the expense is justified it will have been worth it 😂
Just over 2 plus weeks of ownership for me and it’s done exactly that. Doing my 10th ride tonight.  Hadn’t worked out 10 times in the preceding 5 yrs.  

Agree that the Peleton one sucks. I use the monitor on my Apple Watch, but it doesn’t sync to the Peleton. 
We bought the Peloton used so didn't get the monitor with it.  Used three different kinds and all had drawback / connection issues except for the Scosche.  Used it on 100 rides or so without ever having an issue.  Forearm strap instead of chest and I just soap / rinse off after each ride.  The website has a 15% off for joining list so cheaper there than Amazon.

Did a PZ ride with Olivia yesterday. She had stripper glitter on. I did the GNR ride with her. I can’t remember if this is an every class thing. 

Did another CVD class today. It was tough. 3 intervals of 3 mins at zone 5, cadence over 90. Was great

Any of you just pay for the workouts?  It looks like $20/mo for them to stream on your tablet?

We have a nice treadmill already, wife wants the workouts. 

i hope everyones christmas paloton nook foyer home addition projects are getting done and finishing up so that you can start using it and by july it will be at least three months since anyone has touched it take that to the bank bromigos 

I'm in my mid-40s, decent shape. I've had Peloton since October. I haven't worked out this hard in probably 25 years. Previously I would run on the treadmill on weekdays. On Peloton I started working out on Saturdays, too. Don't get me wrong -- I still hate working out. But I do love the metrics Peloton provides. I've been trying to hit the 300 kj mark in my 30-min rides. I've gotten into the 290s. I'm pouring sweat at the end of every workout, so I didn't think hitting 300 would be possible. This week I did it twice. There's a lot of satisfaction in having empirical evidence that I'm getting stronger and in better physical shape. I love being able to go through my workout history and compare my total output from the beginning to now and to track my progress. It's satisfying. 

Any of you just pay for the workouts?  It looks like $20/mo for them to stream on your tablet?

We have a nice treadmill already, wife wants the workouts. 
I subscribed for the Peloton app this past week. You get a free month and it costs $13 a month. The price just recently dropped from $20 to $13 but this also includes only a single device license and single profile instead of multiples. So the wife and I made a shared profile and all has been fantastic. We use the app on an IPad and it works flawlessly, but make sure to research the device you intend to use because some hardware have had issues in the past.

I sync a heart rate monitor(my dedicated one works great, wife’s Iwatch isn’t directly compatable) and wahoo cadence monitor (from Amazon) to the app and it finds it every time now. The cadence monitor is a must if your using a different spin bike like us. Overall my cost broke down to $475 for bike and equipment and will be $156 annually.

We LOVE it! Also the app and iPad makes it easy to do their yoga, stretching, cardio, etc programs.

I subscribed for the Peloton app this past week. You get a free month and it costs $13 a month. The price just recently dropped from $20 to $13 but this also includes only a single device license and single profile instead of multiples. So the wife and I made a shared profile and all has been fantastic. We use the app on an IPad and it works flawlessly, but make sure to research the device you intend to use because some hardware have had issues in the past.

I sync a heart rate monitor(my dedicated one works great, wife’s Iwatch isn’t directly compatable) and wahoo cadence monitor (from Amazon) to the app and it finds it every time now. The cadence monitor is a must if your using a different spin bike like us. Overall my cost broke down to $475 for bike and equipment and will be $156 annually.

We LOVE it! Also the app and iPad makes it easy to do their yoga, stretching, cardio, etc programs.
Thanks I’ll look into. We’ve been doing Orange Theory for 18 months but our studio moved from a mile away to like 5 miles away. While not a huge distance, the location and traffic take it from 2 minutes each way to 15 or more and the schedules make things tough. Just looking for alternatives. 

Users who are viewing this thread