What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Zyphros said:
I have no idea the correlation between the 10 yard split and 40 but I completely agree with you.  It measures the explosiveness off the line for the first 10 yards and the more explosive you can be, it makes sense that you'd run a faster 40.  I just found that little explanation to be intriguing because they talk about the ideal technique in comparison to the 40 and that it would be slower if it wasn't technically sound.  No clue how accurate their numbers are for the ranges they use.  
On the other side of the coin, what NFL play requires the RB to start from a dead-stop in a 3-point stance and simply sprint in a straight line?

On the other side of the coin, what NFL play requires the RB to start from a dead-stop in a 3-point stance and simply sprint in a straight line?
None, but I don't know what you're getting at.  Explosiveness for a RB is pretty valuable no matter the stance.  

@RosterWatch

#Chargers nugget today from a very trusted source: They want to spell Melvin Gordon for 10-12 touches/gm, and believe Ronald Jones would be the perfect complement  #USCProDay

@GrahamBarfield

Ronald Jones' Yards Created Percentile Scores (based on data from 2016-18 classes):

YC/Att - Inside: 6th
YC/Att - Outside: 71st
YC/Att - Shotgun: 7th
Missed Tackles/Att: 33rd
Yds Gained per Route: 7th

Strong off-tackle runner; red flags everywhere else.

#Chargers nugget today from a very trusted source: They want to spell Melvin Gordon for 10-12 touches/gm, and believe Ronald Jones would be the perfect complement  #USCProDay
I hope the hell not

Last edited by a moderator:
@GrahamBarfield

Strong off-tackle runner; red flags everywhere else.
Maybe not everyone else like RJ2, but it doesn't sound all that different from The Chosen One.

Barkley was well below average in yc/att on inside runs, and way (WAY) above average on off tackle runs.

Zierlein: Now heard from more than one team who has been turned off by how "dismissive" Ronald Jones has been during their discussions with him. Caught both teams way off guard. 

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/976839189965803522
I heard that today on a podcast and it was weird.  From watching some of his interviews before hand, he didn't seem to come across that way but then again I have no idea how to evaluate a man's speech during an interview.  

Zierlein: Now heard from more than one team who has been turned off by how "dismissive" Ronald Jones has been during their discussions with him. Caught both teams way off guard. 

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/976839189965803522

Well sounds like he’s got the attitude right. If he runs a 40 before the draft and puts up 4.4 speed he is still probably off the board in the 2nd. I wonder if he tumbles if he doesn’t run predraft though, and wonder how he’ll tumble in ffl drafts. Seems like his stock is going downhill with no good news. I’m not dropping him too far but he’s firmly at the back of the early run on rbs for me. 

Another one I won’t be drafting. Just don’t believe in a guy who is light and not an experienced pass catcher. And he’s going to be mid to late first rookie pick so nope it won’t be me drafting him there

I heard that today on a podcast and it was weird.  From watching some of his interviews before hand, he didn't seem to come across that way but then again I have no idea how to evaluate a man's speech during an interview.  
I don't recall who it was, but like 3 years ago, some player went question by question of what he was asked in the interview process and it was just stupid nonsense and intelligence insulting drivel. I've seen a lot of stupid questions pop up in general, but that one interview was especially awful. Questions if the player's family were drug dealers, if his mother/sister were hookers, if he believed gays should go to hell, just stupid crap. I remember thinking if I were that player I'd have gotten up and left after question #1. Somebody being dismissive doesn't set off a single alarm bell in my opinion.

I don't recall who it was, but like 3 years ago, some player went question by question of what he was asked in the interview process and it was just stupid nonsense and intelligence insulting drivel. I've seen a lot of stupid questions pop up in general, but that one interview was especially awful. Questions if the player's family were drug dealers, if his mother/sister were hookers, if he believed gays should go to hell, just stupid crap. I remember thinking if I were that player I'd have gotten up and left after question #1. Somebody being dismissive doesn't set off a single alarm bell in my opinion.
Do you mean Guice this year?  He got some of those questions, and people have speculated wildly about how he responded but it doesn't seem to be hurting his stock.  I think that's due to him participating in the combine and have these pre-draft workouts.  So to me, it comes down RoJo not doing his workouts before the draft that's knocking him down so people are over analyzing his interview questions or his demeanor.  Which in a way is fair because that's really all there is to go off of the last bunch of months, and it's only been 2 teams reportedly so it's not a huge red flag for me at least.  If people want to critisize his game, fine go for it because I can see some of his flaws, but his character, demeanor, attitude towards some questions is probably as simple as a personality fit with whoever was asking. 

I don't see it as a big deal since I like the talent, but those who don't like the talent point to him being dismissive, or his comp's which make no sense instead of giving reasons why they don't actually like him.  

In a 2010 pre draft meeting, Jeff Ireland of the Dolphins asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. Another team asked him if his mother still did drugs. In an interview with Eli Apple in 2017, a Falcons coached asked him if he "liked men". At the 2010 combine, retired DE Austen Lane was asked some doozies; "If you had to murder someone, would you use a gun or knife?","I see you have dreads; you smoke weed don't you?", "If you could kill someone and not get caught, would you?" Toby Gerhart got asked questions about what it felt like being a white RB.

I'm not really sure what goes on in these meetings, or what the purpose is in some of the questions, but there is a long list of teams asking strange and insulting questions of players. Who knows what kind of questions Ronald Jones was dismissive of, but it's not like teams have a history of asking only normal, intelligent questions.

Another one I won’t be drafting. Just don’t believe in a guy who is light and not an experienced pass catcher. And he’s going to be mid to late first rookie pick so nope it won’t be me drafting him there
This is where I am at as well. Seems like his best fit is a pass-catching sattelite back, only he hasn't shown he can catch passes. 

In a 2010 pre draft meeting, Jeff Ireland of the Dolphins asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. Another team asked him if his mother still did drugs. In an interview with Eli Apple in 2017, a Falcons coached asked him if he "liked men". At the 2010 combine, retired DE Austen Lane was asked some doozies; "If you had to murder someone, would you use a gun or knife?","I see you have dreads; you smoke weed don't you?", "If you could kill someone and not get caught, would you?" Toby Gerhart got asked questions about what it felt like being a white RB.

I'm not really sure what goes on in these meetings, or what the purpose is in some of the questions, but there is a long list of teams asking strange and insulting questions of players. Who knows what kind of questions Ronald Jones was dismissive of, but it's not like teams have a history of asking only normal, intelligent questions.
I've been asked questions like this in interviews about 12 years ago in medical device sales interviews.

The purpose is to stress you/shock you and observe how you react.  Do you keep your composure?  Are you thin skinned?  Hot headed?  Does it rattle you the rest of the interview or can you focus on the task at hand?  The argument for it being you will experience it on the field.

This is not condoning questions like these, just that it doesn't shock me in the least.  Well, it is kind of surprising in today's PC climate.. I don't see those questions getting asked anymore in my industry.

I've been asked questions like this in interviews about 12 years ago in medical device sales interviews.

The purpose is to stress you/shock you and observe how you react.  Do you keep your composure?  Are you thin skinned?  Hot headed?  Does it rattle you the rest of the interview or can you focus on the task at hand?  The argument for it being you will experience it on the field.

This is not condoning questions like these, just that it doesn't shock me in the least.  Well, it is kind of surprising in today's PC climate.. I don't see those questions getting asked anymore in my industry.

That’s exactly right.  Teams are trying to get insight into a player’s psyche and see if they have any triggers that they can expose before they decide to pay these guys huge sums of money and invest tons of resources on them.  Everyone on the asking end knows that the players are going to hear a lot worse from the general public and sometimes from opponents trying to get an edge on the field.

Draftees ought to be well prepared for these questions and expect them.  If they aren’t or are surprised by the nature if the questions, then that says something about their lack of preparation and thoughtfulness.  And for people to get their panties in such massive wads over this stuff - get a grip on yourself.  My goodness, they are just questions that are intentionally highly provacative with a specific intent.  The young guys will survive being asked and get along with their lives moving forward just fine.  No one will be traumatized for life for having gone through the process.  Find something a bit more important to get those panties twisted.

Bronco Billy said:
That’s exactly right.  Teams are trying to get insight into a player’s psyche and see if they have any triggers that they can expose before they decide to pay these guys huge sums of money and invest tons of resources on them.  Everyone on the asking end knows that the players are going to hear a lot worse from the general public and sometimes from opponents trying to get an edge on the field.

Draftees ought to be well prepared for these questions and expect them.  If they aren’t or are surprised by the nature if the questions, then that says something about their lack of preparation and thoughtfulness.  And for people to get their panties in such massive wads over this stuff - get a grip on yourself.  My goodness, they are just questions that are intentionally highly provacative with a specific intent.  The young guys will survive being asked and get along with their lives moving forward just fine.  No one will be traumatized for life for having gone through the process.  Find something a bit more important to get those panties twisted.
Dismissive doesn't mean being shocked or "panties twisted", it means unworthy of consideration. 

This guy has far too many question marks for going where I still anticipate him going in rookie drafts. I have John Kelly, Kerryon Johnson and Royce Freeman ahead of him in my 2nd tier grouping. Unless he runs sub 4.4 before the draft, I don’t think I’ll be bumping him over them either. At 205lbs and with a limited pass catching/target share history, I don’t see him with the opportunity for a full workload in 2018. I still think he would be more valuable to draft over any other positional prospect though, strictly as a buy and hold. I anticipate he will have flashy plays where you can get quite the return for him in the 2018 offseason, assuming health.

4.48 40 at his makeup pro day for those that care about this kind of thing.

ETA- he also weighed in at 208, up 3 pounds from combine.

I like ZWK's practice of adding .02 to pro day times.  A 4.5 isn't awful for him, but I was expecting him to run a bit better.

I like ZWK's practice of adding .02 to pro day times.  A 4.5 isn't awful for him, but I was expecting him to run a bit better.
4.5 isn’t bad at 208. I think it will be less than what people wanted to see. His profile sort of mimic’s Aaron Jones from last year without the recieving profile. I have him in a tier that’s end of round 1/early round 2 with Kerryon and John Kelly.

For what it's worth, he's stated his hamstring is about 85% still. The "he looks faster on tape" crowd can easily roll with that rationale. Those who doubt will still doubt. 

I'm not finished making up my own personal rankings of this rookie class, but he's definitely in my top 5. I'm an old school "eye-ball test" guy though, so this really just boils down to my own opinions. I love the way he runs, with a lot of forward lean and powerful strides. Despite his relatively small frame compared to the other backs in this class (which is a mighty beefy class as a whole, I might add), I think he runs with a lot of functional power. He initiates the contact and drives for yardage or even breaks the tackle. His balance is also pretty excellent, with numerous runs extended due to spins out of contact or jukes through arm tackles. 

As a comparison to some other guys mentioned recently in this thread, I'd easily have him above Kerryon Johnson and Royce Freeman. Despite their size advantage over Jones, I don't think they use their power as, well, violently and effectively as Jones does. I can see an argument that Jones presents a bigger injury risk due to his running style, though. 

All of that said, I think this is a very, very good and deep RB class and landing spots will be huge in how I end up drafting this year.

Rotoworld take:

USC RB Ronald Jones ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds during his pro day-style workout on Thursday.

Finally. Not that we doubted Jones' speed, but he's been limited for much of the draft process by a hamstring injury initially sustained during his 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline relayed at the time of USC's mid-March pro day that RoJo was at around 70% health. He did take part in light route and catch work on that pro day, but still no sprint. We've got a representative run in the books, now. His time of 4.48 seconds in the 40 on Thursday wasn't blindingly fast, but plenty speedy enough for NFL purposes. Jones could potentially see late Round 1 interest later this month.

Source: USC Trojans on Twitter 

Apr 5 - 3:36 PM

I really like him as a potential fit for Indy with one of their multiple 2nd rounders, or possibly the Giants at the top of round 2. He's the #2 RB in this class in my opinion.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Two @USC_Athletics players had make-up pro days today: RB Ronald Jones (hamstring) ran 4.56/4.57 40s, 4.26 ss, 7.14 3cn, w/ 9-6 BJ (no VJ). Looked good catching passes from Darnold.

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/981993955402301440

4.56/4.57 is VERY different than the 4.48 that was previously reported. Curious to see what shakes out between the differing reports. 

By default I'll add .05 to pro day times which are reported by a random tweet or article, and .02 to pro day times that appear on nfldraftscout.

I'm inclined to go with 4.56 as my estimate for Jones. When different sources report different times, I think the slower ones are more likely to be accurate (and to match what nfldraftscout ends up posting).

Oof. If it’s 4.56 with a .02-.05 correction, that is 4.6 territory again. His agility score flat out sucks too (combo of SS and 3-cone) 11.4 is not good for a RB no matter how you spin that one.  To put that in perspective Jarvian Franklin (239lbs) had a 11.24 agility score and Chris Warren (247 lbs) had a 11.16 agility score. This smells stinky as if he did it through the injury. Whoever talked him into it is a moron. 

Has a link to a highlight reel that shows him catching a few passes. Do people think he can't catch or did USC just not throw it to him much? Serious question.
The games I’ve watched he is either kept in to block or Darnold refused to target him. That is an indication that he may struggle to pass catch but the thought itself is acting on the assumption that if he had the QB’s trust the QB would put the ball in his hands. Especially since USC’s weapons were subpar at best last year.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that USC RB Ronald Jones "looked solid in position drills and caught the ball well."

This isn't exactly the most glowing endorsement of a pro day workout that we've seen, but it would appear that Jones did what he had to do. During the athletic testing portion of the day, the 5-foot-11, 205-pounder ran a much-anticipated 40-yard dash with a top-end time of around 4.48 seconds. He had not completed a clean run previously due to a hamstring injury sustained in his initial attempt at the 40-yard dash while at the combine. We're not dismissing the possibility that Jones could see a first-round selection later this month.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Apr 6 - 2:06 PM

Users who are viewing this thread